Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forgotten Irish movies.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭George White

The Treaty is a forgotten film starring Brendan Gleeson as Michael Collins and Barry McGovern as De Valera which is vastly superior to the Neil Jordan travesty which wasted the talents of Liam Neeson and Alan Rickman and played fast and loose with history. Ian Bannen reprises the role of David Lloyd George who he played in another acclaimed biopic tv series.

Rebel Heart was a nice mini series starring James Darcy set between 1916 and 1922. He plays a young medical student who fights in the Easter Rising the Irish War of Independence and Irish Civil War. Brendan Coyle is excellent as Michael Collins who takes him under his wing.
    Loosely based on the careers of IRA commanders such as Ernie O'Malley and James Ryan it is great stuff. Much better than the more recent Rebellion and it's follow up Revolution starring Brian Gleeson in a very similar role who shines despite a weak script and poor production values.

Bannen only played DLG once. The biopic miniseries you're thinking of was Philip Madoc.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Remember a few years back Matthew Modine was in co Limerick & Clare filming a movie called The Martini Shot..whatever happened to it? was it ever released?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Not sure if it's been mentioned (or if it should be on this), but "The Tuxedo" with Jackie Chan was filmed partially along the Quays by the IFSC.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

New Home wrote: »
    Not sure if it's been mentioned (or if it should be on this), but "The Suit" with Jackie Chan was filmed partially along the Quays by the IFSC.

Otherwise known as the Tuxedo

Back then scenes such as these weren’t so common, so a lot of rubbernecking and general astoundment from the locals.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Thanks :). Either I misremembered the title, or the Suit was a working title.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,179 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

what was the indian film that had a ridiculously over the top scene filmed on the LUAS?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,922 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

what was the indian film that had a ridiculously over the top scene filmed on the LUAS?

https://www.reddit.com/r/ireland/comments/c5v0ic/bizarre_clip_from_a_bollywood_movie_set_in_dublin/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

- yeh Ek The Tiger.

Best tell those lads we ride inside the carriage here...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Gentle gunman - old movie about IRA bombing the London underground.

The Fifth Province, never seen this, just remember reading an article about it at the time of its release. It sounded like awful pretentious nonsense and despite some heavy hitters in the cast such as Ian Richardson its sunk into total obscurity.

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0119117/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,768 ✭✭✭saabsaab

The Fifth Province, never seen this, just remember reading an article about it at the time of its release. It sounded like awful pretentious nonsense and despite some heavy hitters in the cast such as Ian Richardson its sunk into total obscurity.

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0119117/

Sounds like it's worth a watch.

Round Ireland with a fridge.

Flick (2000). Another one I remember being in the cinema a really short time and then vanishing. One red haired guy in it who was in loads of Irish movies in the late 90s/00s.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

this isnt half bad if you like old B&W films, stars Patrick McGoohan

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 12,411 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Flick (2000). Another one I remember being in the cinema a really short time and then vanishing. One red haired guy in it who was in loads of Irish movies in the late 90s/00s.

Would it have been Neil Jordan's The Butcher Boy. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118804/

Eamonn Owens is the red haired guy.

MV5BMTczOTUyMzYxN15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDQxMjcyMQ@@._V1_UY317_CR7,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Would it have been Neil Jordan's The Butcher Boy. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118804/

Eamonn Owens is the red haired guy.

MV5BMTczOTUyMzYxN15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDQxMjcyMQ@@._V1_UY317_CR7,0,214,317_AL_.jpg
    David Wilmot was the guy I was thinking of. I see from here he was in the Clinic which which I never got into. Recognised his face from a few Irish movies late 90s early 00s.

No, Flick is the actual name of the movie I was talking about.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0932837/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

I'll never remember the name of this but it was about a shy pious man that falls in love with this rebellious woman who turns out to be a cat burglar. He then gets involved. I remember enjoying it but it was fairly tame.

The one scene I do remember was her coaxing him to have sex with her in one of the houses and he goes limp during sex because a statue of mary was looking at him. He turns it around and keeps going.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,923 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

I'll never remember the name of this but it was about a shy pious man that falls in love with this rebellious woman who turns out to be a cat burglar. He then gets involved. I remember enjoying it but it was fairly tame.

The one scene I do remember was her coaxing him to have sex with her in one of the houses and he goes limp during sex because a statue of mary was looking at him. He turns it around and keeps going.

Spookily I was just thinking of the same film. Have it in my head that one of the lead actors is English and she puts on a pretty ropey Irish accent but might be misremembering that bit.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Sounds like When Brendan Met Trudy.

Light Years Away, technically a French production but filmed in the West Of Ireland and theres a lot of "I know that face" Irish actors in supporting parts.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080373/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭George White

The Eternal (1998)

Bonkers Michael Almereyda-directed adaptation of Stoker's Jewel of the 7 Stars, relocated to Connemara, with Christopher Walken in a pre-Wild Mountain Thyme Irish role as Galwegian Joe Dolan-loving warlock Bill Ferriter.
    Only partly Irish (the bulk of the film shot in a gothic manor in Yonkers, Almereyda turning down IFB money to shoot there), with exteriors in Dublin and Connemara, and Karl Geary and Jared Harris (playing an American) as the main Irish talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

The Eternal (1998)

Bonkers Michael Almereyda-directed adaptation of Stoker's Jewel of the 7 Stars, relocated to Connemara, with Christopher Walken in a pre-Wild Mountain Thyme Irish role as Galwegian Joe Dolan-loving warlock Bill Ferriter.
    Only partly Irish (the bulk of the film shot in a gothic manor in Yonkers, Almereyda turning down IFB money to shoot there), with exteriors in Dublin and Connemara, and Karl Geary and Jared Harris (playing an American) as the main Irish talent.

If you watched now would you expect Anderson Dawes accent from Harris?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,768 ✭✭✭saabsaab

'The Canal' 2014, Irish Horror..

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭BettyS

Probably mentioned already but “This Is My Father”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭Katgurl

Crush proof. I actually would love to see it again.

Trojan Eddie. Terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

The Thief
    A short film made in 1994 or 1995.
    About a robbery on a Spar (Donnybrook I think)
    Filmed in UCD
    Soundtrack uses Mazzy Star's Fade Into You.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Roundwood Reservoir in County Wicklow was one of many locations that had a military presence during the 1970s - of course they are too busy these days on peacekeeping overseas to look after home security. :rolleyes:

Wasn’t as if they were protecting Irish people from a certain foreign military presence in the 1970s, like Dublin, Armagh, Louth, Monaghan,.... reservoirs in Wicklow though ...

They spend most of their time in barracks these days, not doing much.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

Probably been said before, but are there any archived videos of Colin Murphy’s ‘Blizzard of Odd’ Irish film reviews I.e taking the p1ss out of them?

A lot of people don’t realise, it was he who introduced Taafin to most people in Ireland, years before the guys who made a meme out of it

Probably been said before, but are there any archived videos of Colin Murphy’s ‘Blizzard of Odd’ Irish film reviews I.e taking the p1ss out of them?

A lot of people don’t realise, it was he who introduced Taafin to most people in Ireland, years before the guys who made a meme out of it

Theres a few episodes of BOD here on this channel, the one featuring Taffin not among them unfortunately. Think this was the last series. Pretty sure Taffin was featured in the first series but none of those earlier episodes are online

• Advertisement

Rewind - Amy Huberman gets stalked by an ex. Based on a short film. Another of those Film Board schemes to help kill off the director's feature film career.

Advertisement