Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price of Composite door

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,441 ✭✭✭✭Alun

We also have an "anthracite" Palladio door, but in reality it has a bit of a blueish tinge to it in certain light conditions. I actually like it, and went for it in preference to the colour we originally chose from the catalogue when we saw it in the flesh in the showroom.

There is a blue, but in real life it looks a bit too vivid for my liking.

You can have the inside in the same, or a different colour, depending on the model, and also there's a choice of whether you have woodgrain effect or smooth on the side panels. All this affects the final cost, as does choice of locks, handles, knockers and letterbox. Also be aware that not all door designs are suitable for a letterbox.

Very pleased with ours though, coming from a crappy 25 year old Munster Joinery wooden door.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Anthracite grey is Ral 7016. You are right, there is a definite blueish tinge depending on light. My door is north facing and can look dark/grey or black at times. I got white inside as hall dark.

If I'm honest, I found the colour selection in the Palladio range very limited.

In relation to a letterbox, I opted not to get one in the door and got a post box on the side of the house porch. The letterbox was a scourge in the old door, breaking being left sticking up dfinitely heat going out of it.

I got the doorknob where the letter box should be so it does not look unbalanced.

Mine was also a huge improvement on previous Munster joinery door.

We were the same regarding the letterbox. Our door wasn't suitable for a letterbox due to the size and distribution of the glass panels in the door, which meant any letterbox would have been either too high or too low. Now have a post box on the wall, and a Nest doorbell that, thanks to facial recognition, now tells me that the postman is at the door, so I know to look in the box!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

in2dark wrote: »
    Here is the price I found for the single palladio fitted

https://bpmsupplies.ie/products/the-palladio-composite-doors-single-fitted

Has anybody here used this company?

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭fisherking

Any experience of these???
    ZV Yoda wrote: »
    Has anybody here used this company?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Spanishpoint

I also think that's anthracite

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Slimity

fisherking wrote: »
    Any experience of these???

I have, for something else.

PM me if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 pitterbrayn

How are doors so expensive. It's crazy! New house owner here learning the cost of everything is about twice what you would expect

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭sharpish

How are doors so expensive. It's crazy! New house owner here learning the cost of everything is about twice what you would expect

It's a pain in the hole, alright. Today I got a quote for a door 2400 or 1300 neither of them answered the phone when I called with questions, and another guy I actually spoke with was "about 2400" and was desperate to get off the phone.

I find people have loads of work and don't want anything that might be a small job like 1 door or a couple of windows. You do find people eventually, but it's frustrating.

Hard to know if you are paying extra for quality and less pain long term or being rode.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 nudger46

TheBody wrote: »
    That's mental! I got two doors for €2,900! See post 4 above. I'll send you a PM with the names of the guys who fitted mine.

Could i get name of guys who did your doors please

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭ebayissues

Can anyone pm supplier of compsite/UPVC doors?

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

Earthkind window systems in eastbourne manufacture PvC windows and doors. Also stock the palladio door. We got two doors via a local installer. Good product and they have a showroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,094 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Would have said €1200 approx. That quote seems excessive

Gael23 wrote: »
    Would have said €1200 approx. That quote seems excessive

I paid 1650 two years ago for a Palladio front door and that was a reasonable price then as I did a fair bit of shopping round.

Was very happy with the work done to replace the whole house.

After spending weeks looking these up, quotes I'm gtting range from 1.5k to 3000. WTF

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭yogibear77

How come there is such a difference in price? Stupid question I know but are there different brands/makes. I thought they were made by one company.

Are they made by one company?

ebayissues wrote: »
    Are they made by one company?

Palladio doors are made by the one company.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

yogibear77 wrote: »
    How come there is such a difference in price? Stupid question I know but are there different brands/makes. I thought they were made by one company.

Probably some companies quoting inflated prices due to the Covid money. Might be worth holding off a year if you can.

Why can't we order directy from the company that makes the doors? The wide variance in prices doesn'tmake any sense. Its understandable that there ar different versons but prices from 1.5 to 3k wtf.

• Advertisement

Why can't we order directy from the company that makes the doors? The wide variance in prices doesn'tmake any sense. Its understandable that there ar different versons but prices from 1.5 to 3k wtf.
    They don't do installation themselves.

While it wouldn't account for a 100% price difference, the exact model of door, size and inside finish of any side panels, choice of glass and door hardware (handles, knockers, locks) etc. can make quite some difference. You'd have to be sure you were comparing prices for exactly the same door for any comparison to make sense.

So found a company that will supply the door for me at a pricey price.

Anything to be ware in terms of choosing the door?

I'm thinking grey which actually looks like black or chartwell green and white on the inside.

I'm going for basic handles as apprently the 1200m long handle is an extra 500quid.

Type of lock? I'm prone to leaving the house without keys so would I'd love to not get locked outside.

So found a company that will supply the door for me at a pricey price.

Anything to be ware in terms of choosing the door?

I'm thinking grey which actually looks like black or chartwell green and white on the inside.

I'm going for basic handles as apprently the 1200m long handle is an extra 500quid.

Type of lock? I'm prone to leaving the house without keys so would I'd love to not get locked outside.
    I don't know which company you're choosing, but the Palladio Anthracite (Grey) has a definite blueish tinge to it in certain lights. You really have to see them in real life to get a real idea of the colours.

If you're getting some kind of side panel(s) fitted make sure you get the inside of them in a matching woodgrain finish. In our case the default was plain, just like the frames of white uPVC windows which didn't look good at all.

Regarding the locks, ours could be configured in a number of different ways. personally I hate having to remember to lock the door from the inside all the time, so have it so that when the door is shut it's locked, and turning the outside handle does nothing, but it was a simple matter of the customer service guy coming out and doing something with the lock to change it, 5 minutes work.

Also went for the basic "normal" handle. It initially came with a "pad" on the outside, a short dumpy handle, which was actually difficult to manage especially if you had one hand full with something. I'd also imagine that once we get a lot older it might cause issues too. You can also get those great big long pull handles, either straight or curved, but we didn't bother. On a modern house they might be Ok, but they just look out of place on older houses I think.

Alun wrote: »

If you're getting some kind of side panel(s) fitted make sure you get the inside of them in a matching woodgrain finish. In our case the default was plain, just like the frames of white uPVC windows which didn't look good at all.

What do you mean by this?

What do you mean by this?
    If you have a door opening that is wider than the door, it's common to have one, or possibly two, glazed side panels. The inside frame on these is available (from my supplier at least) in either a plain uPVC or woodgrain effect. You can even have the inside side panel in a different colour to the inside of the door if you want although that would look a bit odd.

Go to the Palladio website, you'll see plenty of examples there.

https://palladiodoorcollection.com/product-gallery/

Alun wrote: »
    If you have a door opening that is wider than the door, it's common to have one, or possibly two, glazed side panels. The inside frame on these is available (from my supplier at least) in either a plain uPVC or woodgrain effect. You can even have the inside side panel in a different colour to the inside of the door if you want although that would look a bit odd.

Go to the Palladio website, you'll see plenty of examples there.

https://palladiodoorcollection.com/product-gallery/

Cheers, this makes sense.

Yea having inside panel different to the door can lok odd, however it might not if the panel matches the wall paint.

Cheers, this makes sense.

Yea having inside panel different to the door can lok odd, however it might not if the panel matches the wall paint.

I have anthracite grey and my other choice was chartwell green.

What colour are your windows?

What way is your house facing? Mine in north at front, so my door looks grey/black, but on a house opposite me, the grey has the blue tinge.

White inside is the brighter option.

If you pick a different frame, you need to pick a contrasting one, if it's to alike, it can look like it was meant to be the same, but it's off. Chartwell green can look well with a cream frame, but only of the side panels are there. The door in the middle of a frame can also make the door itself look narrow. I think the contrast is too fussy, unless you had a huge space and wanted to really make a feature of it.

anewme wrote: »
    I have anthracite grey and my other choice was chartwell green.

What colour are your windows?

What way is your house facing? Mine in north at front, so my door looks grey/black, but on a house opposite me, the grey has the blue tinge.

White inside is the brighter option.

If you pick a different frame, you need to pick a contrasting one, if it's to alike, it can look like it was meant to be the same, but it's off. Chartwell green can look well with a cream frame, but only of the side panels are there. The door in the middle of a frame can also make the door itself look narrow. I think the contrast is too fussy, unless you had a huge space and wanted to really make a feature of it.

House is southfacing. The walls are sort of oldish creamish but intend to paint it white and the windows grey or black. Idea is the doors matches the windows. Attached is what I have in mind.

House is southfacing. The walls are sort of oldish creamish but intend to paint it white and the windows grey or black. Idea is the doors matches the windows. Attached is what I have in mind.

South facing at the front would leave the blueish tinge more visible. But fine against the colour of walls you have there.

We have a lot of windows so windows and door same same colour could look very harsh.

If you are getting same windows and door that would be fine, but you'd have to get the exact same grey, its ral70156.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

We went with 'bog oak' as it was the closest to black that we could get. There is a very very slight brown tint to it in very strong sunlight but 99% of the time it looks black. Plan is to paint the window frames to match this year.

We also went with a while inside to match the colours in the hall.

Advertisement