Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Bi-Lingual Auditory Assult By Newstalk

Options
  • 11-03-2021 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭

I strenuously object to the creeping intrusion of the gaelic language several times an hour on Newstalk bulletins.
    It offends my auditory senses and is forcing me away Newstalk.
    (I can never get to the mute function quick enough).

Appeal To Newstalk Management:
    Please don't let a minority force their beliefs on the majority.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,547 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

for me personally, it was george hook who made me move the dial

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭niallers1

Move to another radio station if it bothers you that much :)

There is a lot more offensive content on Newstalk. Our native language would be way down the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,578 ✭✭✭Allinall

Who’s forcing their beliefs?

Is the Irish language a belief now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭Morathi

It's just for seachtain na gaeilge*, you'll be able to understand when they say "and that's all the news for now/more in an hour" in a week or two.

I know these times are hard, but hang in there. If the world got through Megan and Harry leaving Buckingham, you can overcome this tragedy.

* This means Irish Language Week**

** Oddly runs for over two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭eirman

gaeilgeoirís can be as extreme in their beliefs as the Greens in forcing their views on people's everyday lives.

• Advertisement

Morathi wrote: »
    It's just for seachtain na gaeilge*, you'll be able to understand when they say "and that's all the news for now/more in an hour" in a week or two.

I know these times are hard, but hang in there. If the world got through Megan and Harry leaving Buckingham, you can overcome this tragedy.

* This means Irish Language Week**

** Oddly runs for over two weeks.

Thanks Morathi - So you are saying that things will be back to normal soon?
    Great news - I can now shelve plans to write to the station!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭leath_dub

"Suas chun data" just sounds wrong - and sounds like a phrase tha was translated. word-by-word using a dictionary

• Registered Users Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

eirman wrote: »
    I strenuously object to the creeping intrusion of the gaelic language several times an hour on Newstalk bulletins.

Is 'assult' assault as Gaeilge or is it yet another foreign language that you prefer?

An Ri rua wrote: »
    Is 'assult' assault as Gaeilge or is it yet another foreign language that you prefer?

I was taught to despise the language in school.
    The very sound of the language grates on my senses!

I know it sounds weird, but I am a product of the Irish educational system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 FamousDave

gaeilgeoirís can be as extreme in their beliefs as the Greens in forcing their views on people's everyday lives.

I bet you use the terms ‘snowflake’ a lot in your daily conversations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭niallers1

The problem years ago you had non Irish speakers trying to teach Irish.

Nowadays, (at least in my daughters school) the focus is on speaking/ day to day conversation. It is taught in a very different way and by people already fluent. Not just by "teachers" who are one chapter ahead of the class.

niallers1 wrote: »
    The problem years ago you had non Irish speakers trying to teach Irish.

Back in my day, many of the good/native garlick speaking 'teachers' used corporal punishment to literally beat the language into us.
    They were much more enthusiastic in the use of corporal punishment than non-native speakers.

garlick above is not a typo - it's just my lingo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭KaneToad

I had exactly the opposite experience to you. I too am a product of the Irish educational system.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,893 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The annual Irish language lip service. Probably gets them their quota.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

There is so little Irish Language on the station, your username is eirman, shouldn't it be Ireman?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,354 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Legally, radio stations have to play a certain amount of content as Gaeilge. It is possible that this is being used as a loophole by Newstalk to get around this requirement in a piecemeal fashion.

For such a poster who seems like such an erudite and educated individual. It seems an awful shame that something so benign as a language offends you so much.

For a person who is truly educated should have an open mind. And be glad of cultural difference, cultural heritage, and sense of identity and place.

Perhaps those auditory senses should not be so closed?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Elmo wrote: »
    There is so little Irish Language on the station, your username is eirman, shouldn't it be Ireman?

:D

Irony, is often lost on those with a blinkered agenda, I find.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,595 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Curry my yoghurt, can coca coalyer.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Curry my yoghurt, can coca coalyer.

When yer man said that in Stortmont I actually thought it was gas. Because many in SF do not have much Irish at all really.

And they only use the Irish language for political symbolism. Which I think is the wrong thing to do. A language should not be politicised in such a way imo. It should be just used as a language, and not a tactic.

There is an Irish language programme at night on the weekend, on Newstalk called Splanc on Friday's.

https://www.newstalk.com/shows/splanc-234889

I am not sure what the OP will make of it.....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,893 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

There is an Irish language programme at night on the weekend, on Newstalk

Naw..you're grand.

• Advertisement

leath_dub wrote: »
    "Suas chun data" just sounds wrong - and sounds like a phrase tha was translated. word-by-word using a dictionary

Yeah, it's béarlachas. This particular phrase bugs me but I suppose one benefit is that it's immediately translatable with reference to the english version they always say. Whereas if you said "anois tá an nuacht is déanaí agat" it might be just sound like a jumble.

I hope they keep it up in some form, anyway. No harm at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,772 ✭✭✭✭zell12

leath_dub wrote: »
    "Suas chun data" just sounds wrong - and sounds like a phrase tha was translated. word-by-word using dictionary
    Gets me every time. It's wrong, end of. :mad:

RnaG would say
    'is sin nuacht an lae inniu' or
    'ba iad sin scealta na nuachta don trath seo'

zell12 wrote: »
    Gets me every time. It's wrong, end of. :mad:

RnaG would say
    'is sin nuacht an lae inniu' or
    'ba iad sin scealta na nuachta don trath seo'

Are they trying to say "up to date" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,595 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

When yer man said that in Stortmont I actually thought it was gas. Because many in SF do not have much Irish at all really.

And they only use the Irish language for political symbolism. Which I think is the wrong thing to do. A language should not be politicised in such a way imo. It should be just used as a language, and not a tactic.

There is an Irish language programme at night on the weekend, on Newstalk called Splanc on Friday's.

https://www.newstalk.com/shows/splanc-234889

I am not sure what the OP will make of it.....

Yeah, I like the way someone like Manchán Magan deals with promoting the language.

As for Irish programming, I don’t mind it too much but with something like Splanc my own Irish wouldn’t be good enough to keep up. I’m fine with the news, and the like, but if it’s not in the, shall we say, “Queen’s Irish” I’m liable to get lost.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 23,772 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Are they trying to say "up to date" ?
    You'd never hear a phrase like that in Gaeilge. There are other ways of saying it
    'is sin nuacht an lae inniu' - that is today's news
    'ba iad sin scealta na nuachta don trath seo'- those are the news items for now

zell12 wrote: »
    You'd never hear a phrase like that in Gaeilge. There are other ways of saying it
    'is sin nuacht an lae inniu' - that is today's news
    'ba iad sin scealta na nuachta don trath seo'- those are the news items for now

Even in English it is a very tabloid way of signing off, they may as well say "That's The Story" as Spin used to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

Oh dear, what a pity, nevermind.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Edgarfrndly

Oh god, stop whining. You can change the channel if you're that easily upset by hear the native language of this island on the radio. It's Seachtain na Gaeilge and they are just promoting the language a little bit. They've had an Irish language show on there for years and years - Splanc.

Ceart go leor boss

• Advertisement

Don't fan the flames of his ire.

Advertisement