Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Bi-Lingual Auditory Assult By Newstalk

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,354 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

This is to completely misunderstand OP's mindset. No, of course you wouldn't, for the reason that OP dislikes the intrusion of Irish not because of its oral qualities but because of the cultural intentions of its promoters.

You talk about self-hate. That claim is premised on the belief that an Irish person ought to embrace the language of their ancestors. It's beliefs like that from Irish-enthusiasts that cause people to resist the language.

I am sorry this is pure guff. It is a bad pretence at trying to put a spin on things.

German's appreciate German, French appreciate French, and English appreciate English etc

It is nothing to do with being enthusiastic about a language. Or 'Irish-enthusiasts' as you refer to them. Which implies they are 'exotic' and 'foreign' of a bygone age.

You can just appreciate a language you do not have to be an enthusiast.

In case you have not realised we live in Ireland this is an Irish website. Yet the OP seems to not only feel annoyed, but shocked that he/she hears a few words of Irish on a radio station

It is clear that the OP not only does not appreciate the Irish language. But the OP hates the Irish language. Otherwise the OP would not be driven to create this thread in the first place.

If the OP did this for any other state language in another country they would be laughed at, and rightly so.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

I am sorry this is pure guff. It is a bad pretence at trying to put a spin on things.

German's appreciate German, French appreciate French, and English appreciate English etc

It is nothing to do with being enthusiastic about a language. Or 'Irish-enthusiasts' as you refer to them. Which implies they are 'exotic' and 'foreign' of a bygone age.

You can just appreciate a language you do not have to be an enthusiast.

In case you have not realised we live in Ireland this is an Irish website. Yet the OP seems to not only feel annoyed, but shocked that he/she hears a few words of Irish on a radio station

It is clear that the OP not only does not appreciate the Irish language. But the OP hates the Irish language. Otherwise the OP would not be driven to create this thread in the first place.

If the OP did this for any other state language in another country they would be laughed at, and rightly so.

I must say, I'm not very impressed by what you have to say.
    German's appreciate German, French appreciate French, and English appreciate English etc.

German's appreciate the language all Germans speak. Ditto French and English. It's not because the nationality and language share a common root!

Old English, and other languages long ago spoken in present-day England, are for the most part not appreciated by English people. And if a small subset of the English, as part of a cultural agenda, tried to have it imposed on others, it would be rebuffed.

I must say, I'm not very impressed by what you have to say.

German's appreciate the language all Germans speak. Ditto French and English. It's not because the nationality and language share a common root!

Old English, and other languages long ago spoken in present-day England, are for the most part not appreciated by English people. And if a small subset of the English, as part of a cultural agenda, tried to have it imposed on others, it would be rebuffed.

So now are waffling about old English going on yet another tangent.
    The fact is the French and German's appreciate thier languages as do the English.

The prose and culture is celebrated in all those languages. It is recognised as part of a culture in a country.

Yet somehow you seem to believe that the Irish language is not worthy of such appreciation - like the OP. A language teaches people a lot about a culture and a country that you would not get even in a translated version. The meaning is lost.

If people like the OP cannot accept or even put up with a few words of Irish in Ireland on an Irish station. I would go as far to say something went wrong somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,252 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Of course they do, because it's the language they speak every day and the language everyone else around them speaks every day, too :rolleyes:

Does every Spaniard "appreciate" Catalan, or Basque? Every French person Breton or Occitan? Outside of the regions where they are spoken to a greater or lesser extent, not really no - why would they? it's not part of their identity. It's part of the identity of some other people in the same country as them, but not part of their identity.

This is a brainless line of argument to be honest (just like the other one about not being a "proper country" without its own language - you'd be a brave man telling that to the Belgians, Swiss, Austrians, etc etc etc)

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Of course they do, because it's the language they speak every day and the language everyone else around them speaks every day, too :rolleyes:

Does every Spaniard "appreciate" Catalan, or Basque? Every French person Breton or Occitan? Outside of the regions where they are spoken to a greater or lesser extent, not really no - why would they? it's not part of their identity. It's part of the identity of some other people in the same country as them, but not part of their identity.

This is a brainless line of argument to be honest (just like the other one about not being a "proper country" without its own language - you'd be a brave man telling that to the Belgians, Swiss, Austrians, etc etc etc)

You are being deliberately obtuse. You too are obviously a self hating Irish person. And I assume you too have your own reasons for having a vendetta against Irish culture and Irish language. Which is fine that is your own choice.

But I am not a psychologist nor am I trained to ascertain the deep seething loathing of one's own culture and language similar to the OP. I suspect it may have colonial roots, lack of confidence in oneself and your own culture. And lack of respect for your own culture. All leading to not only a lack of respect for your own culture. But a lack of tolerance of a few Irish words on an Irish radio station. it is pathetic when you break it down to that simple level.

The OP described a few Irish words on an Irish station in Ireland as an 'auditory assault'. If you cannot see anything wrong with that there is no hope for you or you clearly have an agenda against your own nations language. I suggest you don't understand the richness of language a turn of phrase and an identity.
    Irish is Ireland's identity whether you like it or not. Does the OP lack the courtesy to appreciate the Irish language? Or is the lack of tolerance due to a lack of confidence and inability to learn a few words even?

Whatever the reason there is no real excuse to complain about it. It is a language. It shows complete lack of self awareness on the OP's part.

Going off in any number of waffling red herring tangents is not going to change that. It only serves to go on to other topics. Which if you really have an interest in you should start a thread on and I will answer it there when I have the chance.

How would you define Irishness? And what is the origin of Irishness? I am not talking about politics or lines on a map. I think you will find there is one great foundation stone. Which is Irish. It is the origin of the great historical Irish annals.

For example:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cogad_G%C3%A1edel_re_Gallaib

It even has permeated into how Irish people speak English.

Hiberno English etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,739 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Your mistake GDG is presuming that the majority of people feel any connection between being Irish and the Irish language. They don't, nor do they feel any attachment or value to it beyond maybe the novelty value in a pub somewhere abroad.

Not having an interest in an almost dead language that's forced upon them in school yet which has no practical value afterwards, or not seeing the value in pouring financial supports and inconvenient yet still tokenistic efforts to promote it, doesn't make someone "pathetic", "self-hating/loathing", "colonial" or all the other petty insults you've levelled at people who have taken the time to explain WHY they feel as they do. These insults are also meaningless because of the point I made above, but it does serve to further alienate those you are presumably trying to convince.

If anything, your own attitude displays exactly the traits that put people off, and is ultimately completely out of touch with the mood of the general public.

Just because someone has no interest in the Irish language, it doesn't make them any less Irish than you.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Your mistake GDG is presuming that the majority of people feel any connection between being Irish and the Irish language. They don't, nor do they feel any attachment or value to it beyond maybe the novelty value in a pub somewhere abroad.

Not having an interest in an almost dead language that's forced upon them in school yet which has no practical value afterwards, or not seeing the value in pouring financial supports and inconvenient yet still tokenistic efforts to promote it, doesn't make someone "pathetic", "self-hating/loathing", "colonial" or all the other petty insults you've levelled at people who have taken the time to explain WHY they feel as they do. These insults are also meaningless because of the point I made above, but it does serve to further alienate those you are presumably trying to convince.

If anything, your own attitude displays exactly the traits that put people off, and is ultimately completely out of touch with the mood of the general public.

Just because someone has no interest in the Irish language, it doesn't make them any less Irish than you.

I am sorry it does mean they are pathetic. The no interest I can understand. But to complain about it and have no tolerance to even hear a few Irish words on an Irish radio station is laughable imo.

And yes it does have colonial roots and Irish people's connection to England and lack of confidence in themselves.

There is a definite tone of self loathing even in your own post. You describe Irish as an 'almost dead language and pointless there after'. I would argue that any language is not pointless. There is a richness in every language a way of thought, a turn of phrase, a history and a different way of looking at the world.

My 'attitude' is honest such people as the OP are pathetic annoyed by a language not only any language. But the Irish language, would the OP say the same about French in France? I doubt it.

I understand the WHY some Irish people such as the OP hate the Irish language

Possibly -

1) Lazy (not bothered because already have English so no need)

2) No self confidence (fear)
    (maybe taught badly at school or the individual struggled with it)

3) Identify more with England

4) Are not aware of places they can use the Irish language in a pressure free natural environment. Just speaking it as you would with any language.

5) No understanding of the richness of a language in general - not just Irish.

It with be interesting how you or the OP define Irishness? I suspect it would be a very vacuous and vague definition?

I am sorry it does...

And yes it does...

There is a definite tone...

It with be interesting how you or the OP define Irishness? I suspect it would be a very vacuous and vague definition?

And I suspect yours would be dogmatic.

And I suspect yours would be dogmatic.

I noticed you did not give your definition of 'Irishness' which again speaks volumes.

Unlike the OP I appreciate all languages and would be curious as to phrases here or there, when talking to people from other cultures.

For me Irishness is based of a foundation of Irish culture mixed with many others.
    Most of this old Irish culture was written down or translated from Irish.
    Whether you like it or not the basis of Irish culture and history is the Irish language.

It reflects a way of thought, turn of phrase and way of being.

Fair enough if someone like the OP as no interest in it. But to not even tolerate a few words of the Irish language and calling it an 'auditory assault' is pathetic in the extreme.

It speaks to me of a vaccous individual. Fine have no interest in it. But to attack a language and view it as an 'assault' it means to me that individual has 'issues'.

I noticed you did not give your definition of 'Irishness' which again speaks volumes.

Unlike the OP I appreciate all languages and would be curious as to phrases here or there, when talking to people from other cultures.

For me Irishness is based of a foundation of Irish culture mixed with many others.
    Most of this old Irish culture was written down or translated from Irish.
    Whether you like it or not the basis of Irish culture and history is the Irish language.

It reflects a way of thought, turn of phrase and way of being.

Fair enough if someone like the OP as no interest in it. But to not even tolerate a few words of the Irish language and calling it an 'auditory assault' is pathetic in the extreme.

It speaks to me of a vaccous individual. Fine have no interest in it. But to attack a language and view it as an 'assault' it means to me that individual has 'issues'.

You have a curious tendency to make illegitimate inferences. The reason I have not given a definition of Irishness - in fact, it seems obvious to me that there isn't a single one - is that I don't think it's a conversation worth having with you.

Yet again you demonstrate your complete ignorance of why OP and others do not appreciate token Irish on the radio. As Kaiser above says, it's derisive phrases like 'vacuous individual' that are the very reason many people want nothing to do with the Irish language and its zealous proponents.

• Advertisement

You have a curious tendency to make illegitimate inferences. The reason I have not given a definition of Irishness - in fact, it seems obvious to me that there isn't a single one - is that I don't think it's a conversation worth having with you.

Yet again you demonstrate your complete ignorance of why OP and others do not appreciate token Irish on the radio. As Kaiser above says, it's derisive phrases like 'vacuous individual' that are the very reason many people want nothing to do with the Irish language and its zealous proponents.

Illegitimate inferences - more guff. I have given my definition of Irishness and you have just proven to me you cannot give one. Why is that I wonder? Ask yourself that I wonder you are trying to bluff your way out of it now by saying it not a conversation worth having. :D You are a bluffer when it comes down to it.

Laughable stuff. Every nation is defined by what ever languages they speak or have spoken.

The OP is vaccous as the OP viewed a few words of language on an Irish station as an an 'auditory assault'. How does a language assault the OP and cause them harm?

Is the OP that insecure in themselves that feel shown up in some way?
    An inadequacy when they don't understand a few words of Irish.
    Why view it as an assault? It is an odd choice of word.

Again I have no problem with people who have no interest in the Irish language. Or any language for that matter.
    Fine no problem there. Each to their own.
    I would not have no issue with that.

But to view a language as an 'assault' shows a certain level of inadequacy that individual has in themselves. And it does demonstrate a vaccousness nature.

And I would be interested in how the OP identifies themselves and their sense of self, and/or nation?

Plus the OP did not even know how to spell 'assault' in the thread title. An English word. Which further adds to the irony of the thread.

ok let's not allow this to get out of hand

Nobody here is a self-hating Irish person, whatever their views on the langauge — that can't be allowed to stand.

Nobody here is ignorant, please don't say that either.

This is a good discussion, let's all keep it civil, interesting and relevant to radio

This is to completely misunderstand OP's mindset. No, of course you wouldn't, for the reason that OP dislikes the intrusion of Irish not because of its oral qualities but because of the cultural intentions of its promoters.

You talk about self-hate. That claim is premised on the belief that an Irish person ought to embrace the language of their ancestors. It's beliefs like that from Irish-enthusiasts that cause people to resist the language.

It’s definitely a post colonial attitude of course. How many French people hate their language, their food, their general culture? Prefer everything English?

Now if they had been colonised by the English and France was a minority language, the food culture not really established and the culture reduced to a minority status then it might be a different story. So this a product of colonialism for sure. This doesn’t make haters of the Irish language less Irish, since post colonialism is part of the culture.

Outside the internet I’m not convinced that the hatred of Irish is that strong. Certainly I can’t think of any major political party or politician, civic group, celebrity or charity who wants to get rid of it. It’s the first official language after all. Maybe you could all set something up?

And despite, claiming to be normal, the dislike of a few words in one language (as opposed to the world dominant one) is fairly non rational.

eirman wrote: »
    I strenuously object to the creeping intrusion of the gaelic language several times an hour on Newstalk bulletins.
    It offends my auditory senses and is forcing me away Newstalk.
    (I can never get to the mute function quick enough).

Appeal To Newstalk Management:
    Please don't let a minority force their beliefs on the majority.

Ok let's analyse the OP's initial post.

Firstly the OP uses the word 'Gaelic'. Which is deliberate. As I already have discussed. Every Irish person knows that the word for the Irish language is either 'Gaeilge' or 'Irish'. Unless you are a foreigner or discussing the Irish language with a foreigner.

The use of the word 'Gaelic' is deliberately used to disassociate themselves as an Irish person from the Irish language.

If the OP used 'Gaeilge' it would infer some level of knowledge of the language.
    If the OP used 'Irish'. It would infer Irish ownership of the language so the OP wants to make sure to make it appear of 'other'.

How is the OP offended or harmed in anyway? Do they know any other language besides English? Does it harm them?

The final line is telling the OP uses the word 'beliefs' as if it is referring to a religion.
    It is not a religion it is a language.

Now the OP may not be well versed in Irish Law or in the Constitution of Ireland.
    And it is clearly stated in Article 8 of the Irish constitution that Irish is the first official language of the state

In fact, the OP might like to know about legal interpretation of legislation. Such as the statutory method. In other words it's plain meaning. It is the Irish language version/meaning takes precedence over the English version.That is in Irish Law.

Finally the OP is unaware of the BAI has to have a certain amount of Irish language programming per week.

The fact the the broadcast is bilingual means there should be no difficulty for the OP in understanding what is said on the Newstalk bulletins.

So the OP's cause for complaint does not seem like a very valid one whatsoever.
    There seems to be a clear agenda by the OP against the Irish language which seems to be the nub of the issue. Added to a lack of knowledge on the subjects of Irish Law and even a few words of Irish.

I assume the OP uses the word 'Chief' when referring to the Taoiseach, and 'Speed' when referring to the Luas? :D

This isn’t reflected in any polls or activism. I hear it on the internet but not in any sense anywhere outside that bubble. Yet the anti Irish language posters are convinced they are in a silent majority.

For my own part I prefer English, but I respect the right of Gaelgoiri to their language and the right of the odd radio presenter to break into it. The only “oppression” English speakers who hate Irish seem to face is the odd sign in Irish, a TV and radio channel they don’t have to listen to, and the ultimate horror of somebody breaking into Irish on a radio station for 5 seconds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭shtpEdthePlum

So what's your level of Irish like anyway?

Plus the OP did not even know how to spell 'assault' in the thread title. An English word. Which further adds to the irony of the thread.

People in glass houses...
    Now the OP may not be well versed in Irish Law or in the Constitution of Ireland.
    And it is clearly stated in Article 8 of the Irish constitution that Irish is the first official language of the state

In fact, the OP might like to know about legal interpretation of legislation. Such as the statutory method. In other words it's plain meaning. It is the Irish language version/meaning takes precedence over the English version.That is in Irish Law.

It’s for reasons such as that that people resent the proponents of Irish, and, by extension, the language itself.
    It’s definitely a post colonial attitude of course. How many French people hate their language, their food, their general culture? Prefer everything English?

Now if they had been colonised by the English and France was a minority language, the food culture not really established and the culture reduced to a minority status then it might be a different story. So this a product of colonialism for sure.

Outside the internet I’m not convinced that the hatred of Irish is that strong. Certainly I can’t think of any major political party or politician, civic group, celebrity or charity who wants to get rid of it. It’s the first official language after all. Maybe you could all set something up?

And despite, claiming to be normal, the dislike of a few words in one language (as opposed to the world dominant one) is fairly non rational.

How many Irish people prefer everything English? It’s not uncommon to hear people decry Irish politics, healthcare, planning, etc, but I think it’s a rarity to hear Gaelic culture criticised.

Your proof that it’s a post-colonial mindset rests on a pretty dubious counterfactual.

Like my friend above, you fail to understand what it is about those few words that annoys people. Dismissing it as irrational will forever prevent you from understanding it.

People in glass houses...

It’s for reasons such as that that people resent the proponents of Irish, and, by extension, the language itself.

How many Irish people prefer everything English? It’s not uncommon to hear people decry Irish politics, healthcare, planning, etc, but I think it’s a rarity to hear Gaelic culture criticised.

Your proof that it’s a post-colonial mindset rests on a pretty dubious counterfactual.

Like my friend above, you fail to understand what it is about those few words that annoys people. Dismissing it as irrational will forever prevent you from understanding it.

Plenty of spoofing in this. The OP is an Irish citizen and must abide by the laws of the state they they live in.

BAI and the Irish constitution is part of the Irish state and applies to radio.
    it is not a belief it is law.

'Gaelic culture' point makes zero sense. One you have deliberately used the word Gaelic similar to the OP. So you would not have to use the word Irish.

The Irish language is part of the Irish Culture and is constantly under attack from people similar to the OP and yourself.
    Be it giving out about Radio medium or whatever.

It is definitely a by product of post colonialism and Ireland's proximity to the UK. No other country has such confusion and self-loathing about it's own unique language.

I was wondering would the OP or yourself prefer the Taoiseach to be called 'Chief' as the word Taoiseach must surely be offensive to his auditory senses each time it is on Radio? Or would the OP or yourself refer to the Dáil as the 'Assembly' in normal conversation?

Would you stop using Irish terms on air altogether? Where does it begin and end. Wiped off the airwaves altogether is it? Pretend it does not exist.

Failure to try and understand a language and reaching for the remote, will definitely not improve understanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

I must say people complaining about Irish featuring in tiny slots on radio etc are really reminiscent of the sort of people who complain about seeing gay couples on tv, or non-white people. The mere presence is tantamount to "shoving it down my throat", although they'll pretend they have no issue with it in principle. Also any inclusion of them is always "tokenism", it can never be random or done on its own merits.

'Gaelic culture' point makes zero sense. One you have deliberately used the word Gaelic similar to the OP. So you would not have to use the word Irish.

I used Gaelic to indicate that the Irish culture I was referring to was the one of the Irish language, Gaelic games, mythology, etc, rather than a modern iteration. After yet another misapprehension on your part, it’s probably a good time for me to bow out.
    I must say people complaining about Irish featuring in tiny slots on radio etc are really reminiscent of the sort of people who complain about seeing gay couples on tv, or non-white people. The mere presence is tantamount to "shoving it down my throat", although they'll pretend they have no issue with it in principle. Also any inclusion of them is always "tokenism", it can never be random or done on its own merits.

Good lord.

• Advertisement

There’s that definite statement again. Presented without much evidence as to what people actually feel.

All I can say about that sentence that it is grammatical. Senseless, but the grammar works.

Not really. You won’t get a French person hating on French.

That’s right I don’t. Because you haven’t really articulated why. I think there’s vague feeling here that you are oppressed somehow. But it’s just a few words and you live in an officially bilingual state.

But then, let’s be clear about it, disliking any language in that case would be crazy. I think you or the op would have been laughed off the internet if you were on here ranting about the few words of Spanish or German you heard on the radio somewhere.

Good lord.

He’s right. It’s a minority language. The reaction to it is clearly bigotry.

I used Gaelic to indicate that the Irish culture I was referring to was the one of the Irish language, Gaelic games, mythology, etc, rather than a modern iteration. After yet another misapprehension on your part, it’s probably a good time for me to bow out..
    I see the point you're making about 'Gaelic', I think a lot of us bristle when we hear that word used to describe the Irish language in the same way someone might squirm to hear a BBC commentator use "The Irish Republic" — it's not that the description is wrong, you just wonder why they won't use the proper title? It isn't a big deal, but neither is it a big deal just to use the correct term; it can sometimes come off a little bit disrespectful.

Of all the things that have been said about the Irish language on radio, and in the radio forum, this is pretty minor; even pedantic. But it does bristle, a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Edgarfrndly

I see the point you're making about 'Gaelic', I think a lot of us bristle when we hear that word used to describe the Irish language in the same way someone might squirm to hear a BBC commentator use "The Irish Republic" — it's not that the description is wrong, you just wonder why they won't use the proper title? It isn't a big deal, but neither is it a big deal just to use the correct term; it can sometimes come off a little bit disrespectful.

Of all the things that have been said about the Irish language on radio, and in the radio forum, this is pretty minor; even pedantic. But it does bristle, a bit.

The Irish language has multiple names. Gaeilge, Gaelainn, Gaeilig and some others - the latter of which sounds like "gaelic". In Ulster you'll often hear Irish referred to as "gaelic" in English. It's really a non-issue to be fair. There's nothing wrong with calling it Gaelic and I find most people who take issue with it aren't speakers, or if they are - they learned Irish in school and don't have a whole amount of experience with traditional dialects.

In Ulster you'll often hear Irish referred to as "gaelic" in English.
    It's certainly true that Irish will often be referred to as "Gaelic" among some people in the north of Ireland, and probably in the UK, too. The other examples you mention are local declensions (an Ghaelainn/ceist na Gaelainne') which have nothing to with the word 'Gaelic'.

I think we are getting away from the point, somewhat. Nobody is seriously claiming the language is called 'Gaelic', not even Ciara Kelly. Let's give words their proper meaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Edgarfrndly

It's certainly true that Irish will often be referred to as "Gaelic" among some people in the north of Ireland, and probably in the UK, too. The other examples you mention are local declensions (an Ghaelainn/ceist na Gaelainne') which have nothing to with the word 'Gaelic'.

I think we are getting away from the point, somewhat. Nobody is seriously claiming the language is called 'Gaelic', not even Ciara Kelly. Let's give words their proper meaning.

Yeah I don't want to spin it off-topic, I was just referring to the idea of a proper title for the language when it has multiple names. But I digress. Anyways, back to the topic at hand :)

eirman wrote: »
    I strenuously object to the creeping intrusion of the gaelic language several times an hour on Newstalk bulletins.
    It offends my auditory senses and is forcing me away Newstalk.
    (I can never get to the mute function quick enough).

Appeal To Newstalk Management:
    Please don't let a minority force their beliefs on the majority.

Another point I take issue with here from the OP is that the OP arrogantly assumes that they are in the majority regarding their attitude to the Irish language.

Most would not vehemently attack it and view as an 'attack on the auditory senses' that is for sure.

Some would would be apathetic, and would not mind one way or the other.

Some would enjoy hearing a few words of Irish to improve their Irish level. The majority would view it as a matter of course as we live in Ireland and it is important for the preservation of Irish heritage and the Irish language.

Research has shown this:

https://www.forasnagaeilge.ie/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Attitudes-towards-Irish-2015.pdf

40 per cent wished the language to be revived with over 50 per cent wishing it to be preserved. (2009)

In the Republic, almost two-thirds (64 per cent) believe that Ireland would lose its identity without the Irish language. (2013)

According to the 2013 Irish Language Survey, there was support for teaching of the Irish language in schools with four-in-five adults in the Republic agreeing that the language should be available as a subject in school.

I used Gaelic to indicate that the Irish culture I was referring to was the one of the Irish language, Gaelic games, mythology, etc, rather than a modern iteration. After yet another misapprehension on your part, it’s probably a good time for me to bow out.

Good lord.

It is again noticeable that you did not answer any of my questions regarding the use of Irish words in day to day Irish live.

On all Irish radio we hear the words 'Taoiseach', 'Tainiste', 'Dàil', 'Luas', 'Oireachteas'. In Irish life these words are commonly used.

People know their meaning in a news report and normal conversation. I assume you use many of those words in conversation and understand them on radio?

If you do not like the Irish language language so much (like the OP) why do you use those Irish language words in conversation? And also, how are you and the OP able to understand them?

Research has shown this:

https://www.forasnagaeilge.ie/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Attitudes-towards-Irish-2015.pdf

I40 per cent wished the language to be revived
    I'm sure this is just a typo, but in case anyone should think us a bheith ró-dairíre go deo (humourless bastards), I found this statistic to be very amusing, like one of them old Soviet-era approval statistics.

For sure you have a point, most people either don't care about snippets trí mheán na gaeilge ar an raidió or they want to hear them. There's no harm in it at all in my personal view.

• Advertisement

I'm sure this is just a typo, but in case anyone should think us a bheith ró-dairíre go deo (humourless bastards), I found this statistic to be very amusing, like one of them old Soviet-era approval statistics.

For sure you have a point, most people either don't care about snippets trí mheán na gaeilge ar an raidió or they want to hear them. There's no harm in it at all in my personal view.

haha yeah I just corrected that. :o

I think another number got put before the 40 when I was editing the text.

For the record I don't believe that 140% want the Irish language revived. :D

Over 50% want the Irish language preserved though and it is through pieces of Irish even here and there. Such as on radio that this objective being achieved. Plus the many uses of Irish names for people, places, organisations.

Dáil. Luas, Machnas, Tigh Linn, Teagasc, An Daingean, Spiddal/An Spidéal, Claddagh Ring etc (Cladach meaning shore in Irish)

Advertisement