Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WWE Network Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,935 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

TimesArrow wrote: »
    The Yokozuna doc was excellent. Well worn a watch

I know it’s said a lot, but it’s kind of sad to see Vince on camera looking so old and frail nowadays

Yeah it was a great episode, looking forward to the rest of the series

It was such a sad story,family genetics are such a terrible thing sometimes. A load of polynesian people are naturally massive

• Registered Users Posts: 60,382 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Reading an interview with one of the reporters for Forbes that keeps an eye on wrestling he is saying the NBCU Peacock deal is a testing ground for them to see if they will buy the WWE otherwise spending a billion on content belonging to someone else doesn't make financial sense unless they intend to buy the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,382 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The Wall Street Journal is reporting that after 10 months on air The Peacock Network isn't that popular as a paid service it has 33 million sign ups where only 4% of them pay the $9.99 full price for the ad free version, There is a $4.99 version as well however the vast majority of subscribers use the free ad-supported version and only has 11 million active users.

Peacock is set to lose about $2billion in its first 2 years.

The WWE Network would fall into the $4.99 version.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

About 9 million of those 33 get it with their cable package for free. That is how I have it.

The gimmick with all these streaming services launching in the US at the mo - ESPN+, Peacock, HBO Max - is to be loss leaders with the hope that eventually they will be profitable once everything migrates away from traditional TV to streaming. They'll gradually up the price, as we see with Netflix, Prime, Disney+, ESPN etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Monokne wrote: »
    About 9 million of those 33 get it with their cable package for free. That is how I have it.

The gimmick with all these streaming services launching in the US at the mo - ESPN+, Peacock, HBO Max - is to be loss leaders with the hope that eventually they will be profitable once everything migrates away from traditional TV to streaming. They'll gradually up the price, as we see with Netflix, Prime, Disney+, ESPN etc.

Until the next thing comes along. Netflix was so great because cable companies or sky packages just became so unaffordable. Same was sports packages remain now.

Now with all these streaming services , it is going to become unaffordable to be a subscriber to all these various platforms.

Spotify will prob start suffering when record labels start pulling musicians content of Spotify for their own streaming network

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

Well, the weekend just gone was pretty horrific. That Progress ran at all was a questionable decision to say the least given what'd gone on in the Britwres scene and that Progress had been front and center as a home promotion for a lot of those implicated in Speaking Out. But, they trudge it out there anyway. Then it comes out that Paul Robinson was involved as an agent for the show. This comes out, people are up in arms. Progress defend themselves by saying "well, we asked the roster if they were OK with Robinson being involved and nobody raised any objections" keeping in mind the point of these shows was to feature young wrestlers, of course they aren't going to raise any objections given the platform involved, the history of the company, and the position of power Robinson is in. You couldn't make this stuff up, these guys are no better than they were pre Speaking Out, burn the scene down, take the companies into the shed and put a bullet in their heads and start again and be better. Pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭montyrebel

only paul robinson i know is in neighbours

montyrebel wrote: »

Better to keep it that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

montyrebel wrote: »

Ex Spurs Goalkeeper no?

Anyone see that A&E are doing a biography series on WWE stars. Interesting that's its not under the wwe network banner

https://prowrestling.net/site/2021/02/23/ae-and-wwe-studios-documentary-series-to-premiere-in-april/

• Advertisement

I'm not sure if it will affect us but I've been reading on twitter that people are saying (could be 100% false) that the priority for the peacock move is main roster modern day stuff, NXT, PPV and originals + docs.

A few quoted Meltzer as well that he said all the old stuff definitely won't carry over.

https://www.wwe.com/article/wwe-network-schedule-2021-03-01

'Highlighting the schedule is this Sunday’s world premiere of HEAVEN, which tells the story of high school athlete Heaven Fitch. Fitch made history in 2020 by becoming the first female to win a boy’s state wrestling championship in North Carolina. Narrated by Beth Phoenix, this film marks WWE Network Documentaries’ first foray outside the genre of sports-entertainment, and it will be available to stream on demand on the Free Version of WWE Network and across WWE social channels'

Interesting that the network is starting to expand from the genre

PTH2009 wrote: »
    https://www.wwe.com/article/wwe-network-schedule-2021-03-01

'Highlighting the schedule is this Sunday’s world premiere of HEAVEN, which tells the story of high school athlete Heaven Fitch. Fitch made history in 2020 by becoming the first female to win a boy’s state wrestling championship in North Carolina. Narrated by Beth Phoenix, this film marks WWE Network Documentaries’ first foray outside the genre of sports-entertainment, and it will be available to stream on demand on the Free Version of WWE Network and across WWE social channels'

Interesting that the network is starting to expand from the genre

This feels like a classic Vince move, still hating himself for being a pro wrestling promoter and nothing more.

Pro wrestling is *VERY* niche. No-one is subscribing to WWE network for programming that has no relationship whatsoever to pro wrestling. It's not Netflix or Prime.

Imagine putting on UFC Fightpass and there's an episode of Coronation St on it.

Vince and his notions. :rolleyes:

This feels like a classic Vince move, still hating himself for being a pro wrestling promoter and nothing more.

Pro wrestling is *VERY* niche. No-one is subscribing to WWE network for programming that has no relationship whatsoever to pro wrestling. It's not Netflix or Prime.

Imagine putting on UFC Fightpass and there's an episode of Coronation St on it.

Vince and his notions. :rolleyes:

Yeah I see people online saying it's great they're branching out but I think it's ridiculous. I subscribe to the network for pro wrestling and nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,980 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Does the android app ever remember where you were in a program for anyone if you close the app part way through?

Absolute pain in the whole having to find the correct spot every time.

Yeah I see people online saying it's great they're branching out but I think it's ridiculous. I subscribe to the network for pro wrestling and nothing else.

There was a survey sent out a year or 2 ago and i kid you not a few suggestions were. One gem was would you watch 'A Game of Thrones type series starring WWE superstars'. Jesus that would of been a train wreck

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

PTH2009 wrote: »
    There was a survey sent out a year or 2 ago and i kid you not a few suggestions were. One gem was would you watch 'A Game of Thrones type series starring WWE superstars'. Jesus that would of been a train wreck

Couldn't have been worse than the way Season 8 of GOT went. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

Watching sasha banks on the stone cold sessions and only 5 minutes in but good lord, not good! She seems incredibly annoying as herself. Bayley was much better.

Really enjoyed both.

I love how much conviction, confidence and belief Sasha has in herself. Projects like a star. I love the ambition she has too. Brave to be so ballsy with that in a male dominated world - lots of men will look down on her for it. The interview reminded me of how Ronda would speak about herself in Strikeforce, before she blew up. She projected her superstardom then made it reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

So with the inevitable move to Peacock approaching, I cancelled my Network sub, and signed up to the free tier of Peacock using a VPN.

However, I am unable to sign up for any of the paid tiers using my Paypal or Visa Debit. Free tier is alright for now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,628 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    So with the inevitable move to Peacock approaching, I cancelled my Network sub, and signed up to the free tier of Peacock using a VPN.

However, I am unable to sign up for any of the paid tiers using my Paypal or Visa Debit. Free tier is alright for now.

Why ? You’re in Ireland aren’t you ? The network isn’t going anywhere yet for us in Ireland. It’s the US where it’s stopping.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Why ? You’re in Ireland aren’t you ? The network isn’t going anywhere yet for us in Ireland. It’s the US where it’s stopping.

Yeah but if you keep your US sub, it's cheaper. $5 v €13.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,708 ✭✭✭hynesie08

gerrybbadd wrote: »

You need a US card, if you know anybody in the states they can pick you up a prepaid debit card, otherwise you're SOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,628 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

hynesie08 wrote: »
    You need a US card, if you know anybody in the states they can pick you up a prepaid debit card, otherwise you're SOL.

SOL. **** of out luck ? Just a guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,067 ✭✭✭ThePott

I'm sure there's a workaround, it's the same with HBO Max but I've a work around to have that.
    Can't speak to it as I won't be trying till me Network sub lapses but if you have a VPN on your phone and go to the Google store and connect a payment method (I have paypal connected) and then sign up through the app it will take whatever you have linked to your Google Play account.
    Again I haven't tried it with Peacock but I'd imagine it would work the same way. I plany to ditch the network and get Peacock for WWE going forward anyway.

Peacock announcing WWE Network stuff in a statement. Skeleton vault til the Summer. No user migration, you'll have to sign up again.

A disaster if you enjoy the classic footage. A very good chance things like Mid South or Crockett stuff never makes it over.

That WWE Network users won't automatically have a profile on Peacock is crazy. Especially given that was initially promised. What NBC were doing agreeing to this could be the subject of a book.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,067 ✭✭✭ThePott

If you are signing up it seems you can also get 4 months for 9.99 for a limited time.
    Also unsurprisingly the match markers will be gone and the search function will not be as good on Peacock.

EDIT - Have signed up for the 4 months myself with a new account but used an American paypal account. Would imagine the method I mentioned above would work as well though.

Ye Voices of Wrestling saying it's even worse than what's being reported. If you enjoy your territory stuff and you're in the US you're gonna be pretty upset.

Peacock announcing WWE Network stuff in a statement. Skeleton vault til the Summer. No user migration, you'll have to sign up again.

A disaster if you enjoy the classic footage. A very good chance things like Mid South or Crockett stuff never makes it over.

That WWE Network users won't automatically have a profile on Peacock is crazy. Especially given that was initially promised. What NBC were doing agreeing to this could be the subject of a book.

This is bound to be a technical issue. When it was announced the first thing I thought was that there was just no way you could do that.

• Advertisement

This is bound to be a technical issue. When it was announced the first thing I thought was that there was just no way you could do that.

If they weren't able to do this then Nick Khan shouldn't have said they would. And now I really wonder how many users this move will actually add to Peacock? WWE Network currently has 1.1 domestic subscribers, how many of those bother to resubscribe? Like for the amount they've paid for this thing I don't know what the benefits are.

Advertisement