Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WWE Network Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,151 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

What day/night do new episodes of NXT Uk air on BT ?

Do they go in the network first ?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,750 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

PTH2009 wrote: »
    What day/night do new episodes of NXT Uk air on BT ?

Do they go in the network first ?

Thursday at 8pm I think. I think they are on the network at the same time.

20 second ads before every show/match I click on is really annoying. Especially the ones that end with "subscribe to the WWE network at WWEnetwork.com". I already am subscribed and paying E12.99 a month :rolleyes:

The ads are part of the reality of being on the network. I’m okay with some ads but where I think it’s taking the piss is when there are ads on your continue watching list.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    The ads are part of the reality of being on the network. I’m okay with some ads but where I think it’s taking the piss is when there are ads on your continue watching list.

It probably doesn't bother many people but it's just I usually flick between matches from different shows most nights so I'm getting the same 20 second ad a few times an hour haha. A skip button would be nice like on Amazon prime

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

WWE Network will be on Peacock from March. It's huge news with all kinds of ramifications. The deal is apparently for 5 years and worth over 1 billion dollars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭savemejebus

• Registered Users Posts: 3,103 ✭✭✭ThePott

That's massive. This seems like a total steal though for US customers (and those with a Vpn *cough). For the price of the Network you now get Peacock too.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

WWE Network will be on Peacock from March. It's huge news with all kinds of ramifications. The deal is apparently for 5 years and worth over 1 billion dollars.

More money for the machine. Once I can still watch it.

Great move for WWE, huge potential for new viewers that the Network didnt have.

Not just on Peacock, the standalone network will be shutting down (in the US at least). https://www.wsj.com/articles/nbcuniversals-peacock-to-become-wwes-exclusive-streaming-home-11611578690

Ye in the US it's a goner. The rumour for this has been around for ages. I'm gonna fire out some takes.

The big positive is obvious, the Network subs had hit a ceiling and were slowly climbing downward, the target of 3 million subscribers has never been further away and, at present, subscribers number around 1.1 million. Getting a guaranteed 200 million dollars a year over 5 years is a win.

It's hopefully a positive for the audience. You can probably trace WWE's creative decline back to when they stopped running on a ppv model in favour of the Network. With a 3rd party paying them a huge contract to produce shows, they'll expect strong numbers, for strong numbers you need interesting creative directions. Hopefully it leads to them producing some actually watchable shows.

The downsides are that this absolutely has the potential to develop into a situation where down the road Peacock charge for individual shows, ala UFC on ESPN+ the days of the Network being a bargain at 10 dollars might be looked at as a golden age.

They indicate that the back catalogue will remain so hopefully that's the case, it's by far the best thing about the service.

The dream for Vince McMahon for a long time was to have his own network, where he couldn't be dictated to by the network top brass. Ultimately it'll go down as a failure for a variety of reasons. But that they had a massive captive audience of tech savy prime demographic viewers and they were unable to turn even nearly enough of them into paying subscribers despite undercutting themselves massively on ppv (and forever changing the valuation of their own shows) is where it failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I'm on a US account since Day 1. Wondering how this will work now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Hmmmm....highly dubious on the idea internationals won't be stung in some way over this, whether it's restricted/tiered content I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,500 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

More of the global takeover by a handful of corporations.

Comcast, AT&T, Amazon, Apple, Goggle etc have more control and influence over the world than any government.

Hmmmm....highly dubious on the idea internationals won't be stung in some way over this, whether it's restricted/tiered content I don't know.

Its hard to know.

NBC arent streaming over here and Im not aware of any plans to.

Im unsure if any Rest of the World rights are included here in this deal.

In theory Network could remain streaming worldwide bar North America or they could sell rights to another streamings service.

I wonder will this deal **** up classic content? Especially attitude era with a lot of questionable stuff that I don't think NBC would be happy to be available on their platform.

The Network has been up and running for 7 years it only feels like yesterday that it started.

So this means nothing will change for those of us outside of the US then if I read that press release correctly.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

So this means nothing will change for those of us outside of the US then if I read that press release correctly.

Correct but it's only a matter of time before they'll sell to a streaming service outside of the US.

Loughc wrote: »
    Correct but it's only a matter of time before they'll sell to a streaming service outside of the US.

You’re right but knowing the way things go we will be shafted in some way here in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

This is great, I have a free sub to Peacock through my cousin in the US so I won't have to pay for the network anymore :)

I’m guessing PPV’s will be returning to PPV now and won’t be on the Network.

• Advertisement

Monokne wrote: »
    This is great, I have a free sub to Peacock through my cousin in the US so I won't have to pay for the network anymore :)

Where the devil have you been!

Welcome back

I’m guessing PPV’s will be returning to PPV now and won’t be on the Network.

Well according to the statement they won’t be moving back to PPV. Those of us outside the US are unaffected for now.

oneilla wrote: »
    That's not really been the case with their stagnating/declining TV ratings for years has it?

To an extent sure, these network expect strong demos, particularly at off-peak times for sports and WWE is a low cost way of delivering that. Where WWE used to have to create interesting stories, build and peak feuds at the right time was really during the ppv era when their existence and success was far more closely tied to selling pay per views. Simply put, for basically the last year they'd practically given up on the Network ever being a success in regards expected subscribers and their financial success has largely come from those big US TV deals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭Pentecost

The Network has been up and running for 7 years it only feels like yesterday that it started.

I remember launch day and trying to get around the geo blocking. Fun times.

Well according to the statement they won’t be moving back to PPV. Those of us outside the US are unaffected for now.

Nick Khan specifically stated in interviews today that PPV's will now be free in 24 million homes and they are excited about that (Peacock is free to people who use xFinity for cable).

They're not putting them back on pay per view.

Nick Khan specifically stated in interviews today that PPV's will now be free in 24 million homes and they are excited about that (Peacock is free to people who use xFinity for cable).

They're not putting them back on pay per view.

That ship has sailed in fairness. One thing that I’ve just been thinking is those of us who signed up day 1 are we considered American users ? I ask because could we be in a bit of bother when they switch US accounts to peacock and seeing as how it’s not available here will we be caught out ?

Yeah unless you can get a Peacock sub you'll have to pay the Irish tax. What is it here, €10.99?

Yeah unless you can get a Peacock sub you'll have to pay the Irish tax. What is it here, €10.99?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I watched the Taker doc series...how lucky were they to have signed AJ Styles?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭TimesArrow

The Yokozuna doc was excellent. Well worn a watch

I know it’s said a lot, but it’s kind of sad to see Vince on camera looking so old and frail nowadays

Advertisement