Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will the Rovers ever Return? Your pub megathread, Part 2 - threadbans in OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭UI_Paddy

ShyMets wrote: »
    Dont get me wrong. I'm chomping at the bit for pubs and in particular non food pubs to reopen.

But I've never gotten the attraction with take away pints. Ok with Guinness I can kind of understand. But if its a Carlsberg or Heineken I'd personally just head to the Off License.

Its going to taste the exact same and work out a lot cheaper

Guy I used to work with did it just to support his local in Stoneybatter. I say more power to them if people know the publicans well.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,650 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Drifter50 wrote: »

What would you suggest happens to the night club business ? Perhaps nightclubs are not your thing but take a couple of provincial towns, Carrick on Shannon and Kilkenny, they both have a number of nightclubs that employ large numbers of people and contribute to the local economy and that spills over to the many other businesses. What would you suggest for the large numbers of people who enjoy the late night entertainment?

Entertainment businesses need to develop operations that don't provide large amounts of custom for A&E, STD clinics, abortion providers and, longer term, mental health services.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Entertainment businesses need to develop operations that don't provide large amounts of custom for A&E, STD clinics, abortion providers and, longer term, mental health services.
    I suggest you stick to opera and theatre Mrs OBumble. Variety is the spice of life. And just because you don't like something doesn't mean it "needs" to change

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

Dramatic. Just a tad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

ShyMets wrote: »
    Dont get me wrong. I'm chomping at the bit for pubs and in particular non food pubs to reopen.

But I've never gotten the attraction with take away pints. Ok with Guinness I can kind of understand. But if its a Carlsberg or Heineken I'd personally just head to the Off License.

Its going to taste the exact same and work out a lot cheaper

Not to mention DCC has by and large got rid of any bit of public seating over the last few years. A pint leaning against a 6 inch wide windowsill, no thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

UI_Paddy wrote: »
    Guy I used to work with did it just to support his local in Stoneybatter. I say more power to them if people know the publicans well.

There was a great group would get pints from walshes and walk up a laneway opposite and theres a road with benches and loads of space 2-300 meters away, a fantastic place to drink takeaway guinness on an evening

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭pottokblue

Spring is here could it be time for a gradual reopening of outdoors/beergardens/takeaways.... sure on my 5km walk I frequent canalbank drinkers with supermarket/offlicences takeaways enjoying their cans, wine and spirits...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Come the first spell of good weather I can see this clamped down swiftly with canal side drinkers labelled thugs and conspiracy theorists to stop others venturing further than their balcony.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Tazz T wrote: »
    Come the first spell of good weather I can see this clamped down swiftly with canal side drinkers labelled thugs and conspiracy theorists to stop others venturing further than their balcony.
    When talking to relatives in the UK last week about Dublin's lockdowns and Christine McTiernan et al., they remarked that sooner or later there would be riots. Maybe the Irish have finally learnt something from the French.

But it's okay for entertainment businesses to provide large amounts of tax revenue for A&E, STD clinics, abortion providers and, longer term, mental health services to operate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

PommieBast wrote: »
    When talking to relatives in the UK last week about Dublin's lockdowns and Christine McTiernan et al., they remarked that sooner or later there would be riots. Maybe the Irish have finally learnt something from the French.

The only thing we should learn from the French is the noble art of infidelity

• Registered Users Posts: 7,331 ✭✭✭bladespin

Never seen any night club offering those services but each to their own, you've been visiting some weird spots.

Just got back to Dublin myself. On the way over I snapped this little gem that I am sure the regulars here would.. be "interested" in :D

Drove to ballsbridge last night go get a fine takeaway , all along the canal every bench and wall was lined with groups having cans. The fatigue has set in for most and the desire to be social is definitely overcoming fears

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

Any ballpark guesses ?

3 May for outdoor hospitality ?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,699 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Any ballpark guesses ?

**** nows at this point and with how cowardly our leaders are hiding behind anti drink health officials it could be well into the summer when outdoor hospitality will be permitted. Indoor dining/drinking the elephant in the room and will be frowned upon because we all could be singing,dancing and hugging people

Apparently we're watching how Israel and the UK are getting on and deciding then

Plenty of people drinking takeaway pints and I can imagine how hard it will be the place on paddy's day

Any ballpark guesses ?

PUP is extended till the end of June so the non food pubs aren't coming back before that at all.

Personal bet - outdoor dining and cafe's till 10pm with a limit of 25 people (distancing allowed for) , max group of 6 from 2 households , beginning in June with a wrap-up in august if the case numbers increase again.

So basically only food pubs with a substantial meal and a curfew.

PUP is extended till the end of June so the non food pubs aren't coming back before that at all.

Personal bet - outdoor dining and cafe's till 10pm with a limit of 25 people (distancing allowed for) , max group of 6 from 2 households , beginning in June with a wrap-up in august if the case numbers increase again.

So basically only food pubs with a substantial meal and a curfew.

Thought that food bollocks was gone ? Obviously the rule will still be there for the under 18s at parties etc

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Thought that food bollocks was gone ? Obviously the rule will still be there for the under 18s at parties etc

I bet its coming back, the government really loved that one , also side prediction of dublin being lept on a higher level than other counties.

The idea of a temple bar pub serving a pint of the black stuff to a lad without him being stuffed to the gills with cheap pizza terrifies stephen donnolly

Any ballpark guesses ?

You would have to say something similar to last year. Outdoor drinking during summer months with a blip in cases when the weather goes bad leading to a complete shut down again. If pubs don't open during the summer, can't see them opening until next year.

It'll be business as usual up North tho.

• Advertisement

Were a few pubs up Phibsboro which had people outside with "takaways", some of which were in glass glasses.

My guess of a proper reopening of pubs is September onwards, assuming they survive at all. I don't see it happening before they've started jabbing the under-40s.

I bet its coming back, the government really loved that one , also side prediction of dublin being lept on a higher level than other counties.

The idea of a temple bar pub serving a pint of the black stuff to a lad without him being stuffed to the gills with cheap pizza terrifies stephen donnolly

Hope your wrong, bloody hated the mandatory meal rule. It made **** all difference only to your wallet and stomach. Think Dublin should be treated the same as every other county, its our capital city FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

Think it will be at least June before pubs at large open and that's probably optimistic. Maybe hotel bars from May but cases need to drastically reduce for anything to happen. They seem to be plateauing at the moment - really need to get them down to 100 and below.

Hope your wrong, bloody hated the mandatory meal rule. It made **** all difference only to your wallet and stomach. Think Dublin should be treated the same as every other county, its our capital city FFS

I hope so too, despised the silly food rule. It also really curtailed nights to a 1 pub affair, not a chance was I going to buy 2 meals.

But I suspect the food rule will be sadly kept.

Hard to believe its coming up to a year since we had proper pub life in Ireland. Remember the days you could walk into any pub/nightclub buy a pint without signing this and that, have a dance and try your luck. Stay drinking til closing time which was anything from half 11 to half 2. Not to mention having the freedom to move between places

Let's hope those days return in the very near future. Outdoor dining without the food and time limits this summer could be the start of the road back

• Registered Users Posts: 9,849 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Outdoor dining without the food

Careful now! Don't be giving them any ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,675 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Hard to believe its coming up to a year since we had proper pub life in Ireland. Remember the days you could walk into any pub/nightclub buy a pint without signing this and that, have a dance and try your luck. Stay drinking til closing time which was anything from half 11 to half 2. Not to mention having the freedom to move between places

Let's hope those days return in the very near future. Outdoor dining without the food and time limits this summer could be the start of the road back

And to get to t'pub we had to walk 6 mile barefoot through the snow, uphill...... There and back......

And outdoor dining without food is just sitting down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

https://twitter.com/gardainfo/status/1370028540972867586?s=20

Hard to believe there are still people doing this? The guards must have a pain in their teeth going around having to fine people flagrantly breaking regulations. A real kick in the teeth to the rest of us.

https://twitter.com/gardainfo/status/1370028540972867586?s=20

Hard to believe there are still people doing this? The guards must have a pain in their teeth going around having to fine people flagrantly breaking regulations. A real kick in the teeth to the rest of us.

I thought it was legal now to drink takeaway pints once your 100m from where you purchased due to some loop hole ?

Be easier just to stop takeaway pints then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

I thought it was legal now to drink takeaway pints once your 100m from where you purchased due to some loop hole ?

Be easier just to stop takeaway pints then?

Looks like the punters are drinking it outside the pub. Stupid behaviour!

Advertisement