Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will the Rovers ever Return? Your pub megathread, Part 2 - threadbans in OP

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

PommieBast wrote: »
    When talking to relatives in the UK last week about Dublin's lockdowns and Christine McTiernan et al., they remarked that sooner or later there would be riots. Maybe the Irish have finally learnt something from the French.

The only thing we should learn from the French is the noble art of infidelity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,368 ✭✭✭bladespin

Entertainment businesses need to develop operations that don't provide large amounts of custom for A&E, STD clinics, abortion providers and, longer term, mental health services.

Never seen any night club offering those services but each to their own, you've been visiting some weird spots.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Just got back to Dublin myself. On the way over I snapped this little gem that I am sure the regulars here would.. be "interested" in :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Drove to ballsbridge last night go get a fine takeaway , all along the canal every bench and wall was lined with groups having cans. The fatigue has set in for most and the desire to be social is definitely overcoming fears

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

Any ballpark guesses ?

3 May for outdoor hospitality ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,885 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Any ballpark guesses ?

**** nows at this point and with how cowardly our leaders are hiding behind anti drink health officials it could be well into the summer when outdoor hospitality will be permitted. Indoor dining/drinking the elephant in the room and will be frowned upon because we all could be singing,dancing and hugging people

Apparently we're watching how Israel and the UK are getting on and deciding then

Plenty of people drinking takeaway pints and I can imagine how hard it will be the place on paddy's day

Any ballpark guesses ?

PUP is extended till the end of June so the non food pubs aren't coming back before that at all.

Personal bet - outdoor dining and cafe's till 10pm with a limit of 25 people (distancing allowed for) , max group of 6 from 2 households , beginning in June with a wrap-up in august if the case numbers increase again.

So basically only food pubs with a substantial meal and a curfew.

PUP is extended till the end of June so the non food pubs aren't coming back before that at all.

Personal bet - outdoor dining and cafe's till 10pm with a limit of 25 people (distancing allowed for) , max group of 6 from 2 households , beginning in June with a wrap-up in august if the case numbers increase again.

So basically only food pubs with a substantial meal and a curfew.

Thought that food bollocks was gone ? Obviously the rule will still be there for the under 18s at parties etc

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Thought that food bollocks was gone ? Obviously the rule will still be there for the under 18s at parties etc

I bet its coming back, the government really loved that one , also side prediction of dublin being lept on a higher level than other counties.

The idea of a temple bar pub serving a pint of the black stuff to a lad without him being stuffed to the gills with cheap pizza terrifies stephen donnolly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Any ballpark guesses ?

You would have to say something similar to last year. Outdoor drinking during summer months with a blip in cases when the weather goes bad leading to a complete shut down again. If pubs don't open during the summer, can't see them opening until next year.

It'll be business as usual up North tho.

• Advertisement

Were a few pubs up Phibsboro which had people outside with "takaways", some of which were in glass glasses.

My guess of a proper reopening of pubs is September onwards, assuming they survive at all. I don't see it happening before they've started jabbing the under-40s.

I bet its coming back, the government really loved that one , also side prediction of dublin being lept on a higher level than other counties.

The idea of a temple bar pub serving a pint of the black stuff to a lad without him being stuffed to the gills with cheap pizza terrifies stephen donnolly

Hope your wrong, bloody hated the mandatory meal rule. It made **** all difference only to your wallet and stomach. Think Dublin should be treated the same as every other county, its our capital city FFS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

Think it will be at least June before pubs at large open and that's probably optimistic. Maybe hotel bars from May but cases need to drastically reduce for anything to happen. They seem to be plateauing at the moment - really need to get them down to 100 and below.

Hope your wrong, bloody hated the mandatory meal rule. It made **** all difference only to your wallet and stomach. Think Dublin should be treated the same as every other county, its our capital city FFS

I hope so too, despised the silly food rule. It also really curtailed nights to a 1 pub affair, not a chance was I going to buy 2 meals.

But I suspect the food rule will be sadly kept.

Hard to believe its coming up to a year since we had proper pub life in Ireland. Remember the days you could walk into any pub/nightclub buy a pint without signing this and that, have a dance and try your luck. Stay drinking til closing time which was anything from half 11 to half 2. Not to mention having the freedom to move between places

Let's hope those days return in the very near future. Outdoor dining without the food and time limits this summer could be the start of the road back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,759 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Outdoor dining without the food

Careful now! Don't be giving them any ideas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,866 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Hard to believe its coming up to a year since we had proper pub life in Ireland. Remember the days you could walk into any pub/nightclub buy a pint without signing this and that, have a dance and try your luck. Stay drinking til closing time which was anything from half 11 to half 2. Not to mention having the freedom to move between places

Let's hope those days return in the very near future. Outdoor dining without the food and time limits this summer could be the start of the road back

And to get to t'pub we had to walk 6 mile barefoot through the snow, uphill...... There and back......

And outdoor dining without food is just sitting down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

https://twitter.com/gardainfo/status/1370028540972867586?s=20

Hard to believe there are still people doing this? The guards must have a pain in their teeth going around having to fine people flagrantly breaking regulations. A real kick in the teeth to the rest of us.

Hard to believe there are still people doing this? The guards must have a pain in their teeth going around having to fine people flagrantly breaking regulations. A real kick in the teeth to the rest of us.

I thought it was legal now to drink takeaway pints once your 100m from where you purchased due to some loop hole ?

Be easier just to stop takeaway pints then?

• Advertisement

I thought it was legal now to drink takeaway pints once your 100m from where you purchased due to some loop hole ?

Be easier just to stop takeaway pints then?

Looks like the punters are drinking it outside the pub. Stupid behaviour!

Hardly surprising though. After a year of false hope people are getting on with the lives, legal or otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Are U for real? It’s been a year. It’s a complete joke at this stage. Countries with massive populations are open all over this place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭Dickie10

cant wait for June to head up north for good sesh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,240 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Dickie10 wrote: »

A sash more like.

id actually love to see orange parade in real life id say would be a bit of craic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

You will be waiting a lot longer than June to be able to do that.

Perhaps he will or perhaps he won't. We'll know closer to June

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Ah, the all-knowning, all-seeing sage of Boards is back to tell us what the future holds. Sounds like you've been abusing that crystal ball of yours again.

did Boris not say june 21 all open? the british wont mess around i expect all to be open june 21, i would think you could get over to mainland uk easier then too. i plan on going to a few race meeting in late summer in UK as galway races will be behind closed doors.

did Boris not say june 21 all open? the british wont mess around i expect all to be open june 21, i would think you could get over to mainland uk easier then too. i plan on going to a few race meeting in late summer in UK as galway races will be behind closed doors.

Boris has said and promised a lot of things since he became British PM many of which he has had to back track on. I wouldn`t be booking any trips to the UK just yet if I were you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Johnson said things would open at the earliest 21 June.
    What people heard was that things would definitely, certainly open on 21 June.

Johnson has potentially painted himself into a corner, yet again. Even if they are not ready, he may end up having to open because of the political pressure he's created.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,550 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

What on earth gives you the impression that the British won't "mess around" with that deadline? Johnson has taken a punt and it might even work out. But he has set and changed deadlines willy nilly up to now. I don't suppose you followed how he handled deadlines and all the date changes. Take my word for it that it made the Irish government look great by comparison.

As things stand the best bet for being able to get on with my life is to head over to the UK and get jabbed there. I've stopped paying attention to the excuses coming out of the Irish government.

What on earth gives you the impression that the British won't "mess around" with that deadline? Johnson has taken a punt and it might even work out. But he has set and changed deadlines willy nilly up to now. I don't suppose you followed how he handled deadlines and all the date changes. Take my word for it that it made the Irish government look great by comparison.

well thats not true, the British government havent put a foot wrong in vaccination scheme, Boris will be up there with churchill the way he will get UK out of this.

well thats not true, the British government havent put a foot wrong in vaccination scheme, Boris will be up there with churchill the way he will get UK out of this.

You are comparing Johnson with Churchill?:eek: Seriously. you need to stay off the waccy baccy if you truly believe that.

The vaccination has been excellent. Everything up to that was a shambles. Did you follow how they handled schools opening and closing dates?

If you’re expecting them to stick to a date just because they said they would then you’re just wishful thinking. They vaccine is going great so it might well work out this time. But the notion that they wouldn’t “mess around” with dates, is just uninformed.

I don't even think one can say with confidence that their vaccine programme is going great. They are not following the recommended method AFAIK and instead are giving as many people as possible the first jab and not giving the second within the recommended time.

It might work out great, but it might not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 485 ✭✭SoapMcTavish

Wet pubs will not reopen before September at the earliest and even if they do time limits and social distancing measures will be in place. Simple as that.

Do you work for RTE ? :pac::pac::pac:

Degag wrote: »
    I don't even think one can say with confidence that their vaccine programme is going great. They are not following the recommended method AFAIK and instead are giving as many people as possible the first jab and not giving the second within the recommended time.

It might work out great, but it might not.

I think they took a punt on that approach and then the research came back saying it was fine (to do the second dose within 12 weeks).

But the uk programme is going great. They’re consistently getting lots of supply and administering lots of vaccines. That has to be seen as going great. What else could you call it?

I think they took a punt on that approach and then the research came back saying it was fine (to do the second dose within 12 weeks).

But the uk programme is going great. They’re consistently getting lots of supply and administering lots of vaccines. That has to be seen as going great. What else could you call it?

Well it wouldn't be so great if pushing out the second jab affected the efficacy of the vaccine. I didn't hear that it was fine to extend the time of the second jab, so that's good.

My point is that we probably won't be able to definitively conclude how each country handled the vaccine administration until it's actually all over.

Hope it works out well for them anyway.

• Advertisement

its great news for us as we can use northern ireland or maybe even the mainland too as staycations /vacations. Britain will be safer than galway, kerry or mayo because we wont have near the same percentages vaccinated by july and august.

much safer and i would think better to head to london ,liverpool or scotland on holiday than anywhere in ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭jt69er

Joe Duffy would be thrilled by your faith in his influence. But it’s been an industry term for decades.

Did we ever future out why it makes people so cross through?

I've worked in the industry for the last 35 years and I had never heard of the term "Wet Pub" before last summer.

jt69er wrote: »
    I've worked in the industry for the last 35 years and I had never heard of the term "Wet Pub" before last summer.

It's a very good term regardless. It describes perfectly the horrid disgusting dank atmosphere of "wet" pubs perfectly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭Tazz T

It's a very good term regardless. It describes perfectly the horrid disgusting dank atmosphere of "wet" pubs perfectly.

What swamp-like pubs have you been patronizing?

jt69er wrote: »

Yeah that’s interesting that you haven’t heard it. Been used in the industry to differentiate between they two main types of pubs for decades none the less.

Individual pubs might not bother with them as they are either one or the other kind. But certainly pub representative groups who represent both types of pubs have been using them for decades.

The idea that it’s a conspiracy against pubs is certainly a new idea.

For correct spelling and good grammar I'll give your trolling effort 2 out of 10

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭jt69er

‘Wet pub’ is derived from an internal industry term ‘wet-led’ used to identify a pubs main product range (beverage). Would probably have been used by suppliers to differentiate between customers.

ShyMets wrote: »
    For correct spelling and good grammar I'll give your trolling effort 2 out of 10

Didn't ask for your opinion. Keep it to yourself, good lad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

ShyMets wrote: »
    Didn't ask for your opinion. Keep it to yourself, good lad.

Mod: Both of you, dial it back.

• Advertisement

Lot of people forget that Churchill was booted out of office in 1945, so the comparison might be more than he wishes for..

Advertisement