Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ulster vs. Leinster, Saturday 6th March, 19.35 (Eir Sport 1)

• 05-03-2021 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭

Ulster
    |
    Leinster
    ulster-rugby-logo-300px-2-128x128.png
    |
    769757_traditional_512x512.png

15. Michael Lowry | Max O'Reilly
    14. Robert Baloucoune | Cian Kelleher
    13. James Hume | Jimmy O'Brien
    12. Stuart McCloskey | Rory O'Loughlin
    11. Jacob Stockdale | Dave Kearney
    10. Ian Madigan | Ross Byrne
    9. John Cooney | Luke McGrath
    1. Eric O'Sullivan | Ed Byrne
    2. John Andrew | James Tracy
    3. Tom O'Toole | Michael Bent
    4. Alan O'Connor | Devin Toner
    5. Kieran Treadwell | Scott Fardy
    6. Nick Timoney | Rhys Ruddock
    7. Jordi Murphy | Josh van der Flier
    8. Marcell Coetzee | Scott Penny
    |
    16. Adam McBurney | Seán Cronin
    17. Andrew Warwick | Peter Dooley
    18. Marty Moore | Tom Clarkson
    19. Cormac Izuchukwu | Ross Molony
    20. Sean Reidy | Josh Murphy
    21. Alby Mathewson | Rowan Osborne
    22. Stewart Moore | Jamie Osborne
    23. Rob Lyttle | Jack Dunne

Referee: Frank Murphy
    Assistants: Sean Gallagher (IRFU), Robert O'Sullivan (IRFU)
    TMO: Olly Hodges (IRFU)

Leinster will be happy - actually let me rephrase that - I'll be happy if Leinster can deny Ulster the TBP or get a LBP themselves. Lovely looking Ulster backline.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Leinster forwards are better than Ulsters.
    Ulsters backs are better than Leinsters.

Strange that Nordi has the armband, doesn't it normally go to Al O'Connnor?

Heart says Leinster. Head says Ulster.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

sullivlo wrote: »

Jordi captained for the last few games (or at least last week)

• Administrators Posts: 53,342 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

sullivlo wrote: »

You think so?

O'Sullivan vs Byrne, I think there's no difference.
    Andrew vs Tracy, there is no real difference.
    O'Toole vs Bent, maybe marginally Bent
    Toner is better than O'Connor, or he was at least
    Treadwell vs Fardy, Fardy hasn't been amazing this year
    Timoney v Ruddock no contest
    Murphy v VDF, yea, VDF but not by a whole lot
    Coetzee v Penny, no contest

I think it's fairly close.

awec wrote: »
    You think so?

There's not much in it but Leinster shade it. Especially with the units

Front row - Leinster
    Second Row - Leinster
    Back Row - Leinster but close

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

awec wrote: »
    You think so?

I think we shade it, but it is close. Your backs are a distance better then too. So if your pack can get close enough to ours in terms of overall parity then you guys will win it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

I think the subs will be the real difference.

Interesting that Leinster have gone for a 6-2 spilt and Ulster have held players like Reidy, Moore and Lyttle to spring off the bench.

Interesting that Leinster have gone for a 6-2 spilt and Ulster have held players like Reidy, Moore and Lyttle to spring off the bench.

Leinster it appears had literally no choice but to take a 6-2 split.

Although we've deployed it tactically a few times this season.

Tomorrow - we don't have a choice.

Only other fit back in the academy or senior squad is Hugh O'Sullivan

We've gone 6-2 because we literally have no back left. It wasn't by choice at all. Apparently Hawkshaw is injured too so we are absolute bare bones.

What the hell are youse doing with your young backs in training? Taking baseball bats to them?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,282 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

What the hell are youse doing with your young backs in training? Taking baseball bats to them?

Toughens them up in the long run

• Advertisement

That I don't know.

But there have been mumblings about the quality of S&C this year at Leinster.

A lot of guys picking up injuries yes.

But a lot of guys picking up injuries having just returned from injury

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Part of what makes the Leinster academy so great is that they don’t just gain skills to help them with their time as Leinster players, they are given time and resources to prepare them in life for whatever they may do if they don’t make it right away as a Leinster player.

For example if they have to go down to Munster and get broken by them

That I don't know.

But there have been mumblings about the quality of S&C this year at Leinster.

A lot of guys picking up injuries yes.

But a lot of guys picking up injuries having just returned from injury

I have to say there's been a lot of caution at Ravenhill with bringing lads back. It's been frustrating, but ultimately, for the players, good to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Front Row is even steven
    Leinster have a definite edge in the engine room and back row in terms of the collective, but a fully fit and firing Coetzee could partially negate that alone...however he may not be either!

Half backs are pretty even too

11 to 15 is clearly advantage Ulster

Not sure about the benches. Reidy, Matthewson, S.Moore and Lyttle are potential game changers for Ulster. The Leinster bench seems more callow, but Cronin, Murphy and Molony are good players and I thought Dunne was good that day he played in the A match a few weeks back, so maybe advantage Ulster there, but with the 6 2 split Leinster have more beef to come on.

Forwards win matches and Leinster have an edge there so Ulster will need a big performance to win.

bilston wrote: »
    Front Row is even steven
    Leinster have a definite edge in the engine room and back row in terms of the collective, but a fully fit and firing Coetzee could partially negate that alone...however he may not be either!

Half backs are pretty even too

11 to 15 is clearly advantage Ulster

Not sure about the benches. Reidy, Matthewson, S.Moore and Lyttle are potential game changers for Ulster. The Leinster bench seems more callow, but Cronin, Murphy and Molony are good players and I thought Dunne was good that day he played in the A match a few weeks back, so maybe advantage Ulster there, but with the 6 2 split Leinster have more beef to come on.

Forwards win matches and Leinster have an edge there so Ulster will need a big performance to win.

With the front rows I think the biggest disparity is in set piece vs open play ability.

EOS, Andrew and TOT all are superior to their opposite numbers in open play.

But when it comes to pushing and shoving, I'd take Byrne, Tracy and Bent all day.

I think Leinster will be going hard at the Ulster scrum. And hopefully will get some change

I really wish I could get along to see this one.

I'd five us a slight edge in the front row overall - definitely around the park, but there may be wobbles in the scrum.

With the front rows I think the biggest disparity is in set piece vs open play ability.

EOS, Andrew and TOT all are superior to their opposite numbers in open play.

But when it comes to pushing and shoving, I'd take Byrne, Tracy and Bent all day.

I think Leinster will be going hard at the Ulster scrum. And hopefully will get some change

Snap.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Reckon set piece will play a big part in this, if we can get dominance at the scrum and lineout it'll be a big advantage.

Backline's worrying, especially considering the 6-2 split and no backup 10.

McFarland is obviously looking for scrum dominance in the last twenty, as a platform to launch off at tired bodies. Especially if we can bring Lyttle on to finish an opportunity or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Leinster have more internationals on show than Ulster tomorrow, and the backs are 4 internationals each so maybe not the gap I initially thought in the backline

• Advertisement

And we'll see the most what the most successful offloading province can do against the least.

If Ulster can't beat this Leinster team then not only does Ulster Rugby have problems, but so does Irish rugby. It absolutely shouldn't be the case that a province missing 28+ players can go away from home and win against another province unless that province is badly hit by absences as well. My (limited) knowledge of Ulster would suggest several guys missing, but no more than that. Would that be fair?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

molloyjh wrote: »
    If Ulster can't beat this Leinster team then not only does Ulster Rugby have problems, but so does Irish rugby. It absolutely shouldn't be the case that a province missing 28+ players can go away from home and win against another province unless that province is badly hit by absences as well. My (limited) knowledge of Ulster would suggest several guys missing, but no more than that. Would that be fair?

Ulster don't have a cyborg producing school system.

molloyjh wrote: »

Why don't we wait and see how the game goes, before we clutch our pearls too tight?

You're right about us not missing many players - only McGrath, Herring, Carter, Henderson, Burns, Marshall and Addison that would improve the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,667 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I think we've already seen that there are, or at least hadls been, serious problems with player development in Ireland. Munster haven't developed a home grown starter in almost 10 years. Seems to be improving now but a decade is a long time to go without developing a genuine talent.

Ulster have been a bit better with Stockdale coming through more recently. Although that's just one player too. Lots of talent in their squad, but I'm unsure if they're better than whose currently with Ireland. Probably not tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭bayern

Ulster don't have a cyborg producing school system.

tell that to their A team.

bayern wrote: »
    tell that to their A team.

The Day Bayern's World Ended.

The Day Bayern's World Ended.

last saturday when they lost?

it's the false hope that gets to you.

bayern wrote: »
    last saturday when they lost?

it's the false hope that gets to you.

Yeah, Munster and Ulster have two pretty good A teams going on. Great rivalry between them.

• Advertisement

Yeah, Munster and Ulster have two pretty good A teams going on. Great rivalry between them.

Great to see. Shame last week wasn't streamed last tomorrows game.

Advertisement