Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Semi Auto Rifles contd

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,934 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

chris1038a wrote: »
    I talked to an RFD, as semi auto rifle wouldn't be something that would be in stock. I'd have to pay the full price up front and it specially ordered in. Which I understand.
    If I didn't get the licence for some reason. I'd have to wait for the rifle to be sold before getting any funds back.
    Were you able to have a meeting with the Chief prior to the application, to get his view if the application would be allowed?

MANY sitdowns and MANY court cases with Cheifs to get this sorted out by many SA CF shooters over 8 years in the oughties and teens.

End result is that now post 2017 proposed legislation, there is now a Damoclean sword hanging over any new licenses granted for these firearm types post-June [?] 2017.In so much as they can be revoked at any given time en masse for as of yet unknown reasons. We SUSPECT it is if there is an arbitrary tipping point number reached in applications, like with the CF handguns, that they will shut it down.

Worse, because you knowingly applied for a license for this type of firearm, and are supposedly Aufe with the firearms law and this particular bit of law. You cant apply for compensation if those licenses are revoked.
    It's another nasty bit of proposed legislation, that like the Temp custody order 1972,is causing a lot of self banning and putting people off.

Not wanting to pee on your parade, but just so to be aware of this before you plonk down a couple of grand for a nice 3 grand Oberland or Schmeisser or whatnot and are importing it:eek: So yeah, they[Cheof Supers] might get you to jump thru all sorts of hoops just to play you and are still safe in knowing the lic could be revoked tomorrow by a ministerial enactment of this order.

What I would do is two things were I doing another SA lic.
    [1] Find something in price I could afford to lose fiscally in such a situation. Got an eye on a 400 euro mini 14 in Germany.Where with a bit of patience you can find some stuff for reasonable money 2nd hand.Took me the better part of 2 years to find one at that price

2]As said by others here. Go ask the dealers, what have they behind the counter on these rifles? Lots of them won't advertise or display them openly for obvious reasons. So asking with serious intent and showing and talking coin of the realm will get you places.;)I know of folks who are commenting here are in the trade and might make themselves known to you.;)

And yes your experience with a dealer here isn't unusual either.it was the same for me,[bar waiting for the rifle to be sold to be refunded:roll eyes:]
    As the dealer knew I was going to go all out on this up to and including court cases.

Can't blame them really wanting the price upfront to do this. They'd be sitting on a special interest gun, with a difficulty rating to license, or it becoming obsolete and they retired by the way some licenses are dragged out here. Or the applicant losing the bottle halfway thru and the gun in limbo between them half paid and still in the wholesaler or here.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 1,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭otmmyboy2

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    End result is that now post 2017 legislation, there is now a Damoclean sword hanging over any new licenses granted for these firearm types post-June [?] 2017.In so much as they can be revoked at any given time en masse for as of yet unknown reasons. wE SUSPECT it is if there is an arbitrary tipping point number reached in applications, like with the CF handguns, that they will shut it down.

Not that there is anything stopping them writing up another SI banning everything with a firing pin either, they've just made themselves known with that category :rolleyes:

Never forget, the end goal is zero firearms of any type.

S.I. No. 187/1972 - Firearms (Temporary Custody) Order - Firearms seized

S.I. No. 21/2008 - Firearms (Restricted Firearms and Ammunition) Order 2008 - Firearm types restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009 - Firearms banned & grandfathered

S.I. No. 420/2019 - Magazine ban, ammo storage & transport restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2023 - 2023 Firearm Ban (retroactive to 8 years prior)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

End result is that now post 2017 legislation, there is now a Damoclean sword hanging over any new licenses granted for these firearm types post-June [?] 2017.In so much as they can be revoked at any given time en masse for as of yet unknown reasons. wE SUSPECT it is if there is an arbitrary tipping point number reached in applications, like with the CF handguns, that they will shut it down.

I'm not knocking you here but there's no legislation stating that though. Nada. Zip. Zero. All we have is a Dail statement from 2015 that carries no legal standing (as far as I'm aware).
    Worse, because you knowingly applied for a license for this type of firearm, and are supposedly Aufe with the firearms law and this particular bit of law. You cant apply for compensation if those licenses are revoked.
    It's another nasty bit of legislation, that like the Temp custody order 1972,is causing a lot of self banning and putting people off.

Where's the law that says we couldn't apply for compensation if the licences are revoked?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,934 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I'm not knocking you here but there's no legislation stating that though. Nada. Zip. Zero. All we have is a Dail statement from 2015 that carries no legal standing (as far as I'm aware).

You are quite correct on that BC...My bad it is a statement...However, we do know how fast "statements" become LAW when it suits justice ministers, as Mr Aherne proved in the CF pistols drama.:(

Where's the law that says we couldn't apply for compensation if the licences are revoked?
    They will throw the EU firearms directive, of the mag bans at us and claim despite us paying for everything we own it is still a privilege, and not subject to compensation, worse because we EU gun owners lost in the EUCHR on this by the cases the E blockers took, it can be taken as a precedent, and as EU directives transcend national law... And you can't do anything about it to clarify it at the moment either by taking it to a test case in the HC, as it hasn't happened yet.
    The only precedents I could think of would be the licensed salmon netters being compensated to stop drift net fishing on the Shannon estuary back in the 90s,as to people being compensated for a loss. But would be this for a livelihood loss?? Cant think of any others that would fit this situation.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭jb88

MANY sitdowns and MANY court cases with Cheifs to get this sorted out by many SA CF shooters over 8 years in the oughties and teens.

End result is that now post 2017 proposed legislation, there is now a Damoclean sword hanging over any new licenses granted for these firearm types post-June [?] 2017.In so much as they can be revoked at any given time en masse for as of yet unknown reasons. We SUSPECT it is if there is an arbitrary tipping point number reached in applications, like with the CF handguns, that they will shut it down.

It's another nasty bit of proposed legislation, that like the Temp custody order 1972,is causing a lot of self banning and putting people off.

Not wanting to pee on your parade, but just so to be aware of this before you plonk down a couple of grand for a nice 3 grand Oberland or Schmeisser or whatnot and are importing it:eek: So yeah, they[Cheof Supers] might get you to jump thru all sorts of hoops just to play you and are still safe in knowing the lic could be revoked tomorrow by a ministerial enactment of this order.

What I would do is two things were I doing another SA lic.
    [1] Find something in price I could afford to lose fiscally in such a situation. Got an eye on a 400 euro mini 14 in Germany.Where with a bit of patience you can find some stuff for reasonable money 2nd hand.Took me the better part of 2 years to find one at that price

2]As said by others here. Go ask the dealers, what have they behind the counter on these rifles? Lots of them won't advertise or display them openly for obvious reasons. So asking with serious intent and showing and talking coin of the realm will get you places.;)I know of folks who are commenting here are in the trade and might make themselves known to you.;)

And yes your experience with a dealer here isn't unusual either.it was the same for me,[bar waiting for the rifle to be sold to be refunded:roll eyes:]
    As the dealer knew I was going to go all out on this up to and including court cases.

Can't blame them really wanting the price upfront to do this. They'd be sitting on a special interest gun, with a difficulty rating to license, or it becoming obsolete and they retired by the way some licenses are dragged out here. Or the applicant losing the bottle halfway thru and the gun in limbo between them half paid and still in the wholesaler or here.

Are you still going on about this rubbish, look I know 3 lads inc myself who have had licences granted for semi auto .308 s recently and there is nothing in legislation about anyone taking anything after the fact. If they wanted to stop these firearms being issued they wouldnt grant licences.. End of.
    Give up on this topic of yours. Your dreaming

• Advertisement

You are quite correct on that BC...My bad it is a statement...However, we do know how fast "statements" become LAW when it suits justice ministers, as Mr Aherne proved in the CF pistols drama.:(

They will throw the EU firearms directive, of the mag bans at us and claim despite us paying for everything we own it is still a privilege, and not subject to compensation, worse because we EU gun owners lost in the EUCHR on this by the cases the E blockers took, it can be taken as a precedent, and as EU directives transcend national law... And you can't do anything about it to clarify it at the moment either by taking it to a test case in the HC, as it hasn't happened yet.
    The only precedents I could think of would be the licensed salmon netters being compensated to stop drift net fishing on the Shannon estuary back in the 90s,as to people being compensated for a loss. But would be this for a livelihood loss?? Cant think of any others that would fit this situation.
    If challenged in the courts anything has the propensity to fail, pass or repeal.

Griz and everyone else.

Look plenty of guys smarter than us have lots of CF Restricted licences granted.

Stop putting off prospective entrants into the market with claims of scare tactics, it didnt work on me.

If people were worried about just money they would never leave the house,, oh wait thats happened.

Oh the guns are mainly black as well.. maybe thats scary to some..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I'm not knocking you here but there's no legislation stating that though. Nada. Zip. Zero.
    Correct.
    All we have is a Dail statement from 2015 that carries no legal standing (as far as I'm aware).
    Not quite.

As with the pistol ban of 2009 any pistols licensed after November 2008 when the Minister made his statement in the Dáil would be affected too. So while there is no "legislative" weight behind such a statement it wil and does have ramifications.
    There is a legal difference between ownership and possession.

They're not taking away your gun as its still your property their simply saying they are refusing to issue new licensed and as its illegal to possess a firearm without a license, you're screwed. The problem with the rifles being restricted means you cannot even keep it on the range and use it there without a license as the firearms act prohibits the use of restricted firearms by anyone, even on a range, without a license for said firearm.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

jb88 wrote: »
    Are you still going on about this rubbish,
    Giving people all the information available is NOT rubbish.
    look I know 3 lads inc myself who have had licences granted for semi auto .308 s recently
    Not sure what relevance this has to anything.
    and there is nothing in legislation about anyone taking anything after the fact.
    No one said there is/was, afaik as i have not read every post fully.
    If they wanted to stop these firearms being issued they wouldnt grant licences.. End of.
    Hence the statement in 2015 and the reminder in the updated Garda Comissioner's guildelines of 2018 stating their intent to do just that.
    Give up on this topic of yours. Your dreaming
    And you're in denial of what may occur and what is worse is you telling people there is nothing to be aware off let alone concerned about. Give people both sides and let them decide for themselves.
    Griz and everyone else.

Look plenty of guys smarter than us have lots of CF Restricted licences granted.
    Fail to see the relevance of intelligence and how it relates to this topic. Do you have to be of a certain IQ to apply for a restricted rifle? If not then you're spouting irrelevant nonsense.
    Stop putting off prospective entrants into the market with claims of scare tactics, it didnt work on me.
    No one is intentionally putting them off. They are being given all the information and not the sugar coated version you giving. What people do after that is up to them and according to you it hasn't had any effect so what is your problem with people being told everything?
    If people were worried about just money they would never leave the house,, oh wait thats happened.
    Irrelevant & nonsensical.
    I see what you did there. Very clever.

:rolleyes:
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Cass wrote: »
    Giving people all the information available is NOT rubbish.

Not sure what relevance this has to anything.

No one said there is/was, afaik as i have not read every post fully.

Hence the statement in 2015 and the reminder in the updated Garda Comissioner's guildelines of 2018 stating their intent to do just that.

And you're in denial of what may occur and what is worse is you telling people there is nothing to be aware off let alone concerned about. Give people both sides and let them decide for themselves.

Fail to see the relevance of intelligence and how it relates to this topic. Do you have to be of a certain IQ to apply for a restricted rifle? If not then you're spouting irrelevant nonsense.

No one is intentionally putting them off. They are being given all the information and not the sugar coated version you giving. What people do after that is up to them and according to you it hasn't had any effect so what is your problem with people being told everything?

Irrelevant & nonsensical.

I see what you did there. Very clever.

:rolleyes:

One guys opinion.... mmm

• Advertisement

One guys opinion.... mmm

Read that yourself, again, s-l-o-w-l-y. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭tudderone

Griz and everyone else.

While i agree with you that if you want something, and its licenceable, then go for it, but like the centrefire pistols be very aware that the trap can snap closed on you and you can end up out of pocket with no gun. It happened to me with a 3k sig pistol. I had my pride and joy and then it was gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Munsterlad102

tudderone wrote: »
    While i agree with you that if you want something, and its licenceable, then go for it, but like the centrefire pistols be very aware that the trap can snap closed on you and you can end up out of pocket with no gun. It happened to me with a 3k sig pistol. I had my pride and joy and then it was gone.

Yeah exactly, there's no point in not getting something because it could be banned, at that point its as good as banned. The CF handgun ban was a reap shame, were you able to sell your pistol?

Read that yourself, again, s-l-o-w-l-y. :rolleyes:

Cass - I think I have widely documented whats required to get a CF Restricted licence in another thread, which maybe you guys need to go look at.

There is no BS in there, its how its done, and I can say that because ive got 7 restricted firearms. If it worked for me the first time, it worked on every subsequent application.

If there is anyone with more wisdom or better information on this forum then kindly direct me to them and I will listen. Thusfar im at a loss for all the rubbish about legislation this and Garda Commissioner that, and TD this and TD that.
    Absloute rubbish.

Its very easy to get anything if you know the correct process.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭smmember20

? was your 3K Sig licenced before November 2008?

If it was there is no reason for it to have been gone!!! Even now you would be entitled to have an application considered as you had it before the cut off!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Managed to watch the first ten seconds.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Let's be fair to JB88, he's put up loads of material on licensing CF SA and has helped me and many others in this area. About the potential to ban CF SA, there's no point in telling people not to get one based on a small possibility. Let's look at it in terms of the handgun ban, there was a large number of applications in a small time period which caused them to get banned. (Yeah I know people still have them and why they only started being licensed in 2004 but that's besides the point). So let's apply that logic to CF SA, they're only going to get banned if there's a large increase in applications, so not to name names but those who are warning against licensing these rifles could just be covering themselves. I've heard a lot about some 2017 cut off date for licenses and how they could be revoked at any point but I couldn't find any legislation to back this up so what is the point of this? To scare off potential applicants? There's no point in saying that there was plans to implement such a cut off date or saying that there already is one and new applicants have missed it, that's just disingenuous.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 1,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭otmmyboy2

Managed to watch the first ten seconds.

Not a fan?
    Let's be fair to JB88, he's put up loads of material on licensing CF SA and has helped me and many others in this area. About the potential to ban CF SA, there's no point in telling people not to get one based on a small possibility. Let's look at it in terms of the handgun ban, there was a large number of applications in a small time period which caused them to get banned. (Yeah I know people still have them and why they only started being licensed in 2004 but that's besides the point). So let's apply that logic to CF SA, they're only going to get banned if there's a large increase in applications, so not to name names but those who are warning against licensing these rifles could just be covering themselves. I've heard a lot about some 2017 cut off date for licenses and how they could be revoked at any point but I couldn't find any legislation to back this up so what is the point of this? To scare off potential applicants? There's no point in saying that there was plans to implement such a cut off date or saying that there already is one and new applicants have missed it, that's just disingenuous.

That and there is absolutely nothing stopping the minister of the day from issuing an SI banning all semi autos, centrefire, rimfire, shotgun, etc.
    Similar to the legislation that grandfathered CF pistols.

Never forget, the end goal is zero firearms of any type.

S.I. No. 187/1972 - Firearms (Temporary Custody) Order - Firearms seized

S.I. No. 21/2008 - Firearms (Restricted Firearms and Ammunition) Order 2008 - Firearm types restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009 - Firearms banned & grandfathered

S.I. No. 420/2019 - Magazine ban, ammo storage & transport restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2023 - 2023 Firearm Ban (retroactive to 8 years prior)

otmmyboy2 wrote: »
    That and there is absolutely nothing stopping the minister of the day from issuing an SI banning all semi autos, centrefire, rimfire, shotgun, etc.
    Similar to the legislation that grandfathered CF pistols.

Exactly, that's the entire point. There is zero logic to people telling other not to apply for a firearm because they might be banned.

• Advertisement

smmember20 wrote: »
    ? was your 3K Sig licenced before November 2008?

If it was there is no reason for it to have been gone!!! Even now you would be entitled to have an application considered as you had it before the cut off!

Yes there was, the chief super said if i wanted it, go to court for it. As you might remember back in 08, there was a crash and loads of people lost their jobs, i was one of them. Spending thousands on a court case, made as much sense back then as putting a deposit on a new Rolls Royce.

Cass - I think I have widely documented whats required to get a CF Restricted licence in another thread, which maybe you guys need to go look at.

There is no BS in there, its how its done, and I can say that because ive got 7 restricted firearms. If it worked for me the first time, it worked on every subsequent application.

If there is anyone with more wisdom or better information on this forum then kindly direct me to them and I will listen.

Its very easy to get anything if you know the correct process.
    So other than the patting of yourself on the back for applying for something anyone can apply for what is the point of the irrelevant rant above?

I never said it could not be applied for, either then or now.

Its utterly irrelevant.
    Thusfar im at a loss for all the rubbish about legislation this and Garda Commissioner that, and TD this and TD that.
    Absloute rubbish.
    Your prerogative. If you choose to treat it as rubbish that is your choice, but your refusal to acknowledge the statements/guidelines does not mean they do not exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

Issuing persons and applicants alike should be mindful that, on 18th September 2015, the
    Minister for Justice and Equality announced that any new restricted firearm certificates
    for centre fire semi-automatic rifles, granted between that date and the enactment of
    proposed legislation banning the future licensing of these types of firearms, shall stand
    revoked.

https://www.garda.ie/en/about-us/online-services/firearms-licensing/commissioner-s-guidelines-2018.pdf

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

Yes there was, the chief super said if i wanted it, go to court for it. As you might remember back in 08, there was a crash and loads of people lost their jobs, i was one of them. Spending thousands on a court case, made as much sense back then as putting a deposit on a new Rolls Royce.

Could you apply for it now? I suppose the gun is long gone and not sitting in a dealer's safe?

Issuing persons and applicants alike should be mindful that, on 18th September 2015, the
    Minister for Justice and Equality announced that any new restricted firearm certificates
    for centre fire semi-automatic rifles, granted between that date and the enactment of
    proposed legislation banning the future licensing of these types of firearms, shall stand
    revoked.

https://www.garda.ie/en/about-us/online-services/firearms-licensing/commissioner-s-guidelines-2018.pdf

How does that statement have any legal standing?

Let's be fair to JB88, he's put up loads of material on licensing CF SA and has helped me and many others in this area.
    Utterly irrelevant to the topic at hand.
    About the potential to ban CF SA, there's no point in telling people not to get one based on a small possibility.
    Nobody has done so.
    Let's look at it in terms of the handgun ban, there was a large number of applications in a small time period which caused them to get banned.
    Perhaps it was one of the causes but the catalyst was the murder of Shane Geoghahan in 2008. The knee jerk reaction to it was the cause of the ban.
    (Yeah I know people still have them and why they only started being licensed in 2004 but that's besides the point).
    Grandfathering and a court case. Simples.
    So let's apply that logic to CF SA, they're only going to get banned if there's a large increase in applications,
    The reason for any future ban is moot given the statement. The statement made in 2015 said that from then, the date of the speech, any licenses issued would stand revoked.
    so not to name names
    Go right on ahead and list anyone who has said not to buy/license one.
    but those who are warning against licensing these rifles could just be covering themselves.
    Your basing your logic on an incomplete pretense. Numbers will have an impact, but the "damage" is done and the old chestnut of "to prevent the proliferation of arms" will be trotted out to excuse this. Also implying that those already licensed can somehow "sway" the decision making of a Justice Minister not to mention control the sale and licensing of SA C/F rifles is ludicrous. Didn't work in 2008 and they had a much stronger case to argue (the actions of criminals having repercussions for legitimate gun owners)
    I've heard a lot about some 2017 cut off date for licenses and how they could be revoked at any point
    September 2015
    but I couldn't find any legislation to back this up
    Because there is NO LEGISLATION as has been said ad nauseum.
    so what is the point of this?
    Nothing more malicious than giving people all the information and a chance to make up their own mind.
    To scare off potential applicants?
    I'll refer you to my points above about ability of the shooting community to influence legislation and the above reply on intent.
    There's no point in saying that there was plans to implement such a cut off date or saying that there already is one and new applicants have missed it, that's just disingenuous.
    How is that disingenuous?

There is no plans to introduce a cut off date, its ALREADY done. September 2015. There is no legislation in place, as off this second, to impose a prohibition of licensing SA C/F but no one said there is. The Commissioner's guidelines, updated as off September 2018, reiterated this proposed prohibition backdated to the Minister's statement of 2015.

Half way down the page.

Immediate cap on licensing of any new centre-fire semi-automatic rifles

The Minister intends to introduce an immediate temporary cap on the licensing of any new centre-fire semi-automatic rifles pending the establishment and determination of the Authority.

Legislation will provide for the revocation of any licenses issued between today
    (18 September 2015) and the enactment of the legislation and it is intended that anyone applying for licenses of this nature will be informed of that fact.

Page 23.
    Issuing persons and applicants alike should be mindful that, on 18th September 2015, the Minister for Justice and Equality announced that any new restricted firearm certificates for centre fire semi-automatic rifles, granted between that date and the enactment of proposed legislation banning the future licensing of these types of firearms, shall stand revoked.

Let me say this one more time so there is no confusion, no misunderstanding, no lies and no cross wires. The above comments by me are not my opinion based on third, fourth, fifth, etc hand information or high stool gossip. It comes from my ability to simply read the statements as above.
    • I am not saying they cannot be licensed.
    • I am not saying people should not go for one if they want.
    • I am not advocating for the limitation or "capping" of licenses (that was the sports coalitions doing).
    • I have over and over and over rejected the lie that semi-autos cannot be licensed/are banned and the notion of any "stealth" ban of semi-autos as illegal and unworkable.

All i have ever done in this thread and other recent threads is point people to the above pieces about the Dáil statement, the Commissioner's guidelines and the prospect of future legislation to ban the licensing of these rifles with the retrospective nature of such legislation so they can make the most informed decision they can.

In response all i get int he form of a rebuttal is "its rubbish". If someone wants to point me to a new statement repealing the previous Minister's statement and the newly updated Garda Commissioner's guidelines which also repeals/redacts this intent then i'll happily accept that the situation has changed.

How does that statement have any legal standing?
    Nothing in the Commissioner's guidelines has any legal standing, realistically.

The Garda Commissioner does not legislate. The idea behind the guidelines was to help both parties (Gardaí and applicants) understand the legalese of firearm ownership/licensing and help smooth any confusion on either side.

The guidelines merely clarify and elaborate on firearms acts/laws so people can more easily understand them, and the piece above about the revocation of the licenses is a reiteration of the Minister's statement from 2015 and its ramifications. Its why its addressed to both the authorising person and applicant.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Utterly irrelevant to the topic at hand.
    Nobody has done so.

Perhaps it was one of the causes but the catalyst was the murder of Shane Geoghahan in 2008. The knee jerk reaction to it was the cause of the ban.

Grandfathering and a court case. Simples.

The reason for any future ban is moot given the statement. The statement made in 2015 said that from then, the date of the speech, any licenses issued would stand revoked.

Go right on ahead and list anyone who has said not to buy/license one.

Your basing your logic on an incomplete pretense. Numbers will have an impact, but the "damage" is done and the old chestnut of "to prevent the proliferation of arms" will be trotted out to excuse this. Also implying that those already licensed can somehow "sway" the decision making of a Justice Minister not to mention control the sale and licensing of SA C/F rifles is ludicrous. Didn't work in 2008 and they had a much stronger case to argue (the actions of criminals having repercussions for legitimate gun owners)

September 2015

Because there is NO LEGISLATION as has been said ad nauseum.

Nothing more malicious than giving people all the information and a chance to make up their own mind.

I'll refer you to my points above about ability of the shooting community to influence legislation and the above reply on intent.

How is that disingenuous?

There is no plans to introduce a cut off date, its ALREADY done. September 2015. There is no legislation in place, as off this second, to impose a prohibition of licensing SA C/F but no one said there is. The Commissioner's guidelines, updated as off September 2018, reiterated this proposed prohibition backdated to the Minister's statement of 2015.

Half way down the page.

Page 23.

Let me say this one more time so there is no confusion, no misunderstanding, no lies and no cross wires. The above comments by me are not my opinion based on third, fourth, fifth, etc hand information or high stool gossip. It comes from my ability to simply read the statements as above.
    • I am not saying they cannot be licensed.
    • I am not saying people should not go for one if they want.
    • I am not advocating for the limitation or "capping" of licenses (that was the sports coalitions doing).
    • I have over and over and over rejected the lie that semi-autos cannot be licensed/are banned and the notion of any "stealth" ban of semi-autos as illegal and unworkable.

All i have ever done in this thread and other recent threads is point people to the above pieces about the Dáil statement, the Commissioner's guidelines and the prospect of future legislation to ban the licensing of these rifles with the retrospective nature of such legislation so they can make the most informed decision they can.

In response all i get int he form of a rebuttal is "its rubbish". If someone wants to point me to a new statement repealing the previous Minister's statement and the newly updated Garda Commissioner's guidelines which also repeals/redacts this intent then i'll happily accept that the situation has changed.

Poster gets permission for 7 restricted firearms, creates a thread to help and advise others who may be thinking of applying for one.

Reminds posters talking rubbish and other people reading that he is actually the one who has been there, done that and bought the t-shirt and advises them it may be worth their while to find the thread and read it.

Poster is told numerous times his points are irrelevant and utterly irrelevant and is accused of doing nothing but patting himself on the back.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Poster gets permission for 7 restricted firearms,
    At least 5 others on this thread have restricted licenses/firearms. Multiple licenses if you count them either simultaneously or consecutively over the years.
    creates a thread to help and advise others who may be thinking of applying for one.
    That is not this thread.
    Reminds posters talking rubbish
    And you'd know this from the how many restricted firearms you've owned/licensed. After all that is what you are claiming! An argument from authority. In other words the higher the number of licenses/firearms the more knowledge and respect that person should receive? So based on that principle i'll ask again, how many have you that you can make the claim that jb88 has every right to?
    and other people reading that he is actually the one who has been there,
    As have at least 5 others on this thread.
    done that and bought the t-shirt and advises them it may be worth their while to find the thread and read it.
    Absolutely they should find it and read it. Its good information. By the way here is a link for anyone looking for that thread.
    Poster is told numerous times his points are irrelevant and utterly irrelevant
    They are in the context of this thread. I don't care how many restricted licenses/firearms he has applied for or gotten. Its simply not germane to the topic. The topic has mutated from those using one to the ability to apply, not the amount of times or even the process.
    and is accused of doing nothing but patting himself on the back.
    Not accusing, stating. To accuse someone is to level a claim of wrongdoing. Patting yourself on the back is not a maleficence, but for the purpose of this thread irrelevant.

• Advertisement

Could you apply for it now? I suppose the gun is long gone and not sitting in a dealer's safe?

I know where it is, i could apply for it again, but the less contact i have with Gardai, the better.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement