Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Park Tools Hook and Pick Set

• 04-03-2021 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,858 ✭✭✭

I wasn't sure if this question fit in any of the other existing threads, but I thought it would get most eyeballs out on it's own.

If anyone has a set of these, could you check the diameter of the shank (not the handle), as I have a mind to make myself a set of them

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Looks to be around 5mm - "Cold formed, heat treated and polished carbon steel" carbon steel no less :D

Maybe 4mm I was thinking 4 might be a bit bendy but being carbon it'll be quite strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,858 ✭✭✭cletus

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Looks to be around 5mm - "Cold formed, heat treated and polished carbon steel" carbon steel no less :D

Maybe 4mm I was thinking 4 might be a bit bendy but being carbon it'll be quite strong.

I've 5mm stainless, at 100-120mm length bending shouldn't really be an issue. I have a cheap pick set I got from Ali Express, and it's a 3mm shaft diameter.

Maybe I'll just make new handles for them and keep the working end

Are you guestimating, or do you actually have a set? If you have, I'll get some other critical measurements from you

cletus wrote: »
    I've 5mm stainless, at 100-120mm length bending shouldn't really be an issue. I have a cheap pick set I got from Ali Express, and it's a 3mm shaft diameter.

Maybe I'll just make new handles for them and keep the working end

Are you guestimating, or do you actually have a set? If you have, I'll get some other critical measurements from you

100% guesstimation :D it'll be difficult to get the little bends in I'd imagine and then I guess the heat treating will harden it. 3mm seems very slim but then I guess if you thing of a dart which must be only 1.5mm and they're tough although usually tungsten.

I'll go 4mm based on nothing more than him screwing them in and relative size to fingers. :D

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    100% guesstimation :D it'll be difficult to get the little bends in I'd imagine and then I guess the heat treating will harden it. 3mm seems very slim but then I guess if you thing of a dart which must be only 1.5mm and they're tough although usually tungsten.

I have 5mm round bar in front of me now. Seems too thick to be honest. I'd imagine 4mm would be the max useable diameter.

Problem is, turning down stock that thin on a lathe is really tricky.

Don't think the bends would be too difficult at that size, tbh

cletus wrote: »
    I have 5mm round bar in front of me now. Seems too thick to be honest. I'd imagine 4mm would be the max useable diameter.

Problem is, turning down stock that thin on a lathe is really tricky.

Don't think the bends would be too difficult at that size, tbh

yeah true, they're a nice little set though. Make two and I'll be your crash test dummy :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,948 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

What are they generally used for lads? Presumably not specifically cycling related?

(I see them regularly in TK Maxx for a few Euro).

General poking and prodding, lifting o-rings and seals etc.

I have a cheap set, and they work fine. I like the look of the hex handle on the Park Tools ones, which is what I'm hoping to replicate. I also like the idea of the magnet in the handle.

Here's a quick dimensional drawing, in case anyone else feels like giving this a go too.

545821.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

Are you including the magnet in your version? You might aswell start your own tool company...
    Teng tools do something very similar to park which i use for cheaper
    What are they generally used for lads? Presumably not specifically cycling related?

(I see them regularly in TK Maxx for a few Euro).

Only use them on the bike very handy for picking it cables with internal routing etc.
    And also very handy for servicing cup and cone bearings, pick them out and then put them back in with the magnet.
    Seem to be used a good bit in car repairs

I think I'll include a magnet all right. I'll order some from Ali.

The straight pick is great for opening brake and shifter cable up after you cut it

• Advertisement

Tony04 wrote: »
    Teng tools do something very similar to park which i use for cheaper

If you have a calipers, would you be able to measure shaft dimensions?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭hesker

I have a set with blue handles. Probably Draper.

3.5mm diameter

Appreciate that, Hesker

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭hesker

You’re welcome.

Mine don’t appear to be as long as the Park ones in both handle and shaft length

Fair play lapiere. Very much appreciated

@hesker: in fairness, my measurements were based on the length given on the park tool website. I then blew up the picture on the laptop screen to that length, and took all the other measurements from there. The diameter from that was 4mm, but nice to have it empirically confirmed too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Looking at it closer, the park tool pick looks like it tapers from 4mm at the handle, down to 3.5 or so at the tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I have a cheap set and they're just under 4mm diameter but they do what I need them to. I've no magnetic parts on them and don't really need that. I clean my chain in a bottle of diesel and use a magnetic pick up tool to fish the quick link out of the bottle that I use

I have a cheap set too, and they're more than adequate.

I like to make things, have a project or two going, and this is just one of them.

I'm also planning on making the park tool wheel holder.

07lapiere, would I be really pushing it to ask you to check if the other dimensions I came up with were even ballpark correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Yeah no worries... I’ll take a few photos tomorrow and post them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I find park to be nearly as bad as SnapOn tools (I love SnapOn but I wouldn't spend the money for home use), you'll find really high quality tools for a fraction of the price here, I've been buying from these for years as a main dealer car mechanic. Lifetime warranty to boot.

https://www.munstertoolco.ie/product-category/hand-tools/hook-and-pick-set/

Thanks Cian. I agree re. Park Tools and Snap on, particularly for home gamers like myself.

The reality is, the cheap set I already have would be absolutely acceptable. Really, I just wanted to see could I make a set, and the Park Tools set looked the nicest.

I've got my hands on some 10mm hex bar in brass, think it'll make a nice handle, and I've ordered a set of neodymium magnets from Ali (so they'll probably be here next year).

It's a project to keep myself busy

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

If you're getting into the business of making brass handled hand tools please DM me as I'll buy everything. :D

The only thing I'd say in the materials is that stainless want last against heavy use, if you can get high carbon steel it will be much nicer and can be polished and finished just as well, you'll just need to treat it or keep them dry.

CianRyan wrote: »
    If you're getting into the business of making brass handled hand tools please DM me as I'll buy everything. :D

The only thing I'd say in the materials is that stainless want last against heavy use, if you can get high carbon steel it will be much nicer and can be polished and finished just as well, you'll just need to treat it or keep them dry.

It's a case of working with what I have. The other option is mild steel and heat treat it. Alternatively, I could tap the handle and thread the shaft, so they're replaceable m

The reality is, regardless of the material, it won't be getting anything near hard or heavy use, it'll literally be used for the likes of ball bearings and o rings.

Regrettably, I won't be in the position to wholesale them :D

Just a quick update for anybody who might be interested, got the handles made today

546247.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

them's posh looking pencils.

them's posh looking pencils.

They're a fücker to pare, but :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what sort of metal is that? mild steel?

Advertisement