Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Park Tools Hook and Pick Set

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,858 ✭✭✭cletus

what sort of metal is that? mild steel?

Brass

First blank cut and test fitted. Still needs to be shaped and polished

546343.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

This is looking lovely.
    Will you be hand shaping or using a lathe?

CianRyan wrote: »
    This is looking lovely.
    Will you be hand shaping or using a lathe?

I'd imagine hand shaping. There's a fair amount of flex at 4mm. Even turning down from 5 to 4mm required incremental steps of about 15mm

cletus wrote: »
    I'd imagine hand shaping. There's a fair amount of flex at 4mm. Even turning down from 5 to 4mm required incremental steps of about 15mm

I didn't consider the flex, that's substantial!

I have hand shaped a lot of broken picks, usually larger diameter, it's certainly not easy to get them symmetrical but then again I am a mechanic, not a fabricator.

• Advertisement

I didn't consider the flex, that's substantial!

I have hand shaped a lot of broken picks, usually larger diameter, it's certainly not easy to get them symmetrical but then again I am a mechanic, not a fabricator.

Well, I'm a PE and English teacher, so I'm as far removed from fabricating as you are :D

Well, I'm a PE and English teacher, so I'm as far removed from fabricating as you are :D

Teachers are resourceful, I'm sure you'll get through this! Haha

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭8valve

What are they generally used for lads? Presumably not specifically cycling related?

(I see them regularly in TK Maxx for a few Euro).

Pulling internal cables out through ridiculously small frame holes, which some frame designer has decided is big enough.

Removing the inevitable broken cable end barrels from modern shifters when some non-mechanically-sympathethic cyclist just forces the shifter to shift, instead of checking what's causing poor shifting.

Carefully removing hydraulic brake O-rings...just before you drop them on the workshop floor.

Rounding the internal opening of gear cable housing nicely.

Stabbing yourself in the hand/leg/face, when you're not watching what you're doing. Can also be used to stab work colleagues when walking past, when neither of you are watching what you're doing.

Picking blackthorns out of pram tyres.....a daily occurrence if you work in a bike shop within 10 miles of a Greenway!

Making handy pilot holes in Rubber blanking frame plugs, when adding aftermarket dropper seat-posts.

Lots of other handy jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

8valve wrote: »
    Pulling internal cables out through ridiculously small frame holes, which some frame designer has decided is big enough.

Removing the inevitable broken cable end barrels from modern shifters when some non-mechanically-sympathethic cyclist just forces the shifter to shift, instead of checking what's causing poor shifting.

Carefully removing hydraulic brake O-rings...just before you drop them on the workshop floor.

Rounding the internal opening of gear cable housing nicely.

Stabbing yourself in the hand/leg/face, when you're not watching what you're doing. Can also be used to stab work colleagues when walking past, when neither of you are watching what you're doing.

Picking blackthorns out of pram tyres.....a daily occurrence if you work in a bike shop within 10 miles of a Greenway!

Making handy pilot holes in Rubber blanking frame plugs, when adding aftermarket dropper seat-posts.

Lots of other handy jobs.

They're the kind of thing you never know you need until you need them. I bought a Teng set in December myself, handy thing to have when rebuilding brake caliper.

And CianRyan don't be slagging off SnapOn, I'm.a bit of a fan :pac:

And CianRyan don't be slagging off SnapOn, I'm.a bit of a fan :pac:

I'd love to be able to afford to be a fan, but the bank turned down my last mortgage application :D

• Advertisement

I'd love to be able to afford to be a fan, but the bank turned down my last mortgage application :D

I cant afford free stuff, doesn't stop me spending on stupid things though :pac:

I've spent enough of my hard earned wages on the SnapOn van to be able to give them a hard time. :pac:

I've spent enough of my hard earned wages on the SnapOn van to be able to give them a hard time. :pac:

I'm far from a mechanic, but I do work on my own car (would've come across you in the motoring and DIY car maintenance forums Cian), and while I'd love to be able to afford a full selection of snap on sockets and spanners, for a home gamer, I reckon you can't beat the Halfords Advanced range (used to be Halfords Professional)

Turned the initial shape on the lathe.

546498.jpg

Finished with a hand file. You can still see the file marks, so I'll have to hit it with various grades of sandpaper before I can polish it

546499.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Looks good! How did you attach the shank to the handle? Are you going to harden it (heat treatment I assume?)?

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Looks good! How did you attach the shank to the handle? Are you going to harden it (heat treatment I assume?)?

Interference fit. The diamater of the hole in the handle is the same as the diameter of the shank. I bevelled the leading edge to get it started, then hammered it home. Stainless steel doesn't take a hardeneing through heat treating, it work hardens. So I have to hope that the work I did on the point was sufficient. The reality is it's not going to get heavy use. If I can get my hands on some tool steel in the future, I might change them, as the joint is only mechanical

The big question (which no one seems to be asking) is....

When will all of our sets be ready?

:-)

I had assumed the first one was for me

So, there's two questions that haven't been asked. Can I bend the shafts without snapping them, and how much brass stock can I take from the metalwork room before the teacher notices.

After that, I'll take orders... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

These picks have 100’s of uses. Last night I used it to remove a very stubborn cover of a bolt on the bathroom window!

Makes you wonder how you managed before you had them!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I would also like to answer to this question :D

Hmm. Massed produced units from Park Tools make €45 a set.

Hand made bespoke tools must be double that, minimum, maybe treble...

I'm thinking I should have a chat with the metalwork teacher

Hmm. Massed produced units from Park Tools make €45 a set.

Hand made bespoke tools must be double that, minimum, maybe treble...

I'm thinking I should have a chat with the metalwork teacher

Your maths is way off...

Your maths is way off...

You reckon more?

Hand sanding from 120 grit to 1200 grit. Hard to get a picture that shows the results. Once I've the shed finished, I'll give it a hit on the polishing wheel

546981.jpg

All three finished except for polishing.

I put the bend in the 90° hook too far back, but it's hard to judge where the bend will fall when you're free handing it. If I was doing it again, I'd make it shorter.

I didn't try put the double bend in the 45° hook, I was afraid I'd break the tip off. Really, I'd need some sort of forming jig to keep the initial bend as is, while I make the second bend. Overall, though, I'm happy enough, and once the magnets arrive I can finish them out

*edit* apologies for the size of the picture, I posted from my phone, and thought I'd reduced it suffeciently

547226.jpg

In all fairness, these look really impressive.

Lovely work.

I was once hard sold on a set of picks similar to these (didn't bite though). The tool man was looking for closer to €300... I can't imagine he sold many at that price though. Surgical steel he told me. :rolleyes:

If these do keep their point with use I'm sure there would be money to be made, idiots like me love nice tools.
    I have "nice" tools and everyday tools you see but like I said... Idiot. :pac:

Really nice work, man!

I was once hard sold on a set of picks similar to these (didn't bite though). The tool man was looking for closer to €300... I can't imagine he sold many at that price though. Surgical steel he told me. :rolleyes:

If these do keep their point with use I'm sure there would be money to be made, idiots like me love nice tools.
    I have "nice" tools and everyday tools you see but like I said... Idiot. :pac:

Really nice work, man!

Thanks.

If nothing else, they're a proof of concept, and if I can get my hands on some high carbon steel, I might change the shafts

• Advertisement

I'm resurrecting this thread in the vaguest hope that somebody here has a Park Tools Wheel holder, like in the image below, and if so, that they'd be willing to post some dimensions for me

81WcjfRQdZL._AC_SX425_.jpg

Advertisement