Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CONSTRUCTION LOCKDOWN JAN 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

70% off our sites are shut.

We deal with all the main developers and commercial builders.

All big sites.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

km79 wrote: »
    If they shut you down what is the follow on ?
    Fines ? DPP?
    Or just shut down and don’t restart until restrictions lifted ?
    DOCARCH wrote: »
    I heard somewhere about E1K fine per person on site.

Small Residential extension. Garda just asked them to stop unless they could demonstrate it was essential. Told the Gardai that it’s not essential and asked if they could just finish this wall as it fronts a public path so H&S to members of the public and also place steel beam in as whole house currently propped using strong boys temp support system.

They said to go to station with that in writing and the super would give his opinion. They done that and were told to finish these parts of the job and then close up.

Fines are the last resort.
    The Gardai are following the 2 E’s, Education, Encouragement and finally Enforcement if you don’t comply following the first 2.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

ZeroSum76 wrote: »

I know many sites shut and the only thing outstanding is windows. Not essential at all I would say.

Gumbo wrote: »
    I know many sites shut and the only thing outstanding is windows. Not essential at all I would say.

Do not know the facts of the house in the indo piece.

But
    I can see how a roof or windows on an extension could be essential.
    For instance if said extension works have left original plasterboard etc exposed to the elements.
    You can only temporarily protect so well
    Getting weathered could be essential.
    Although why anyone started an extension in December / January 2021 with obvious restrictions imminent is completely beyond me and I would have no sympathy whatsoever.

This is being left to the client and the guards to decide, which is ridiculous.

I've seen plenty flouting this altogether.

Cycle past a one off house in south Meath, they're doing rising walls.
    I know of a main builder doing enabling works on a new build.
    They've managed to convince all including the guards that diverting a Irish Water sewer is essential.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,227 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Easy to weatherproof where windows go in, just put in a sheet of plywood. I have it on three windows in the back out for the last 2 months, all have a sheet of plywood in.

Can't imagine the neighbors will be friendly after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭ZeroSum76

Frozen Veg wrote: »
    Department of health and NPHET recommend the guidelines.

I wouldn't be recommending calling the HSE in relation to lockdown restrictions. Probably have enough on their plate with testing and vaccines.

This is the line I was told to enquire with by the Gardai. The HSE Hotline in their words. Also on the website:

Contact the HSE COVID-19 helpline

https://www2.hse.ie/services/contact-the-hse/

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

ZeroSum76 wrote: »
    This is the line I was told to enquire with by the Gardai. The HSE Hotline in their words. Also on the website:

Contact the HSE COVID-19 helpline

https://www2.hse.ie/services/contact-the-hse/

Don't think they advised you correctly there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

New house build up the road from us started putting up scaffolding today for the first storey

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

New house build up the road from us started putting up scaffolding today for the first storey

There has been a noticeable increase in activity in 3 houses around here too
    Rural area
    We haven’t broken ground yet . Hopefully April :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 ElderWanderer

The Gardai couldn't give a toss about illegal construction activity around here.

I haven't seen any indication that they give a toss about enforcing any of the other rules either- they don't even pretend to be checking whether journeys are essential; maybe 5% of the times I've encountered a checkpoint in the last year I've been asked where I've been going and the other 95% I've been waved through without a second glance. I've not yet been asked to provide evidence that my journey is essential.

Cycle past a one off house in south Meath, they're doing rising walls.

Boys have the floor poured today.

Noticed 3 pairs of groundworkers at out this morning too
    Fair enough very low risk but deffo not essential.
    One pair doing fence to a new build.
    Another knocking the gate to a new build.
    Third laying sewer pipes to new build.

Boys have the floor poured today.

Noticed 3 pairs of groundworkers at out this morning too
    Fair enough very low risk but deffo not essential.
    One pair doing fence to a new build.
    Another knocking the gate to a new build.
    Third laying sewer pipes to new build.

Very little Risk in outdoor work.

Will be 30 kids packed into classrooms from Monday.

The construction guidelines are ridiculous.

Assuming cases don’t spike after schools go back they won’t be able to justify it beyond start of April
    I think they are planning on relaxing them for construction anyway tbh but don’t want to say it just in case things go pear shaped again

Stops thousands of workers from crossing the border every day and thousands more driving into Dublin everyday

Stops thousands of workers from crossing the border every day and thousands more driving into Dublin everyday

The North will soon have more to fear about cross border traveller ms than Vice versa given the relative rate of vaccinations!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,727 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Every hotel carpark in close proximity to the M50 is full of Northern registered cars from Monday to Thursday and had been that way during the last lockdown too.

Assuming cases don’t spike after schools go back they won’t be able to justify it beyond start of April
    I think they are planning on relaxing them for construction anyway tbh but don’t want to say it just in case things go pear shaped again

I think they are mindful that there are two bank holiday weekends coming up so didn't want to give the public the impression that restrictions are been lifted in anyway.

Hence the reason that the Gardai aren't really stopping work on private sites unless complaints are received.

Construction should never have stopped though.

North is the least of our worries now.

Agreed ridiculous
    But they're the rules.
    I'm on a 4 day week because our clients are foolishly following it.
    The inconsistancies are infuriating

Can't stand all the moaning about the north.
    We infected ourselves at Christmas. Nordies were at home

• Advertisement

The North will soon have more to fear about cross border traveller ms than Vice versa given the relative rate of vaccinations!

They can still carry virus and transmit

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Corby Trouser Press

In week 6 of this year (Feb 8th to 14th) there were 9 construction related cases.

There were 6,041 total cases that week.

There's no sense to this at all.

No proportionality or sense of perspective.

Another 5 weeks to go...

• Subscribers Posts: 41,037 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

In week 6 of this year (Feb 8th to 14th) there were 9 construction related cases.

There were 6,041 total cases that week.

There's no sense to this at all.

No proportionality or sense of perspective.

Another 5 weeks to go...

but construction was under lockdown too ??

you cant offer stats of the lockdown working as proof the lockdown should be lifted.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    but construction was under lockdown too ??

you cant offer stats of the lockdown working as proof the lockdown should be lifted.

How does that stat prove lockdown working?

Sector being 40% open = 9 cases per week.

Sector being 100% open = 22 cases per week.

Is that too high a number?

Does preventing another 13 extra cases a week justify 60k on PUP and 17k houses on pause?

Proportionality.

How does that stat prove lockdown working?

showing the case numbers attributed to construction when construction is severely restricted is not an argument to open construction.
    its a logical fallacy.

Look, im all for construction restrictions to be relaxed, i think any out door work where you can social distance should be absolutely allowed.

but im also for cogent arguments to be made in favour of relaxing the restrictions.

showing the case numbers attributed to construction when construction is severely restricted is not an argument to open construction.
    its a logical fallacy.

Look, im all for construction restrictions to be relaxed, i think any out door work where you can social distance should be absolutely allowed.

but im also for cogent arguments to be made in favour of relaxing the restrictions.

It is a cogent argument though.

There is no point pretending there will be no extra cases if the industry is fully reopened again.

The point is that while the virus was transmitting 6k cases a week a partially opened sector was contributing an absolutely negligable amount to the total.

It is a cogent argument though.

There is no point pretending there will be no extra cases if the industry is fully reopened again.

The point is that while the virus was transmitting 6k cases a week a partially opened sector was contributing an absolutely negligable amount to the total.

the reason for closing down construction was never about the onsite work practises, it was about movement of people when the case numbers were high

until the case numbers come down to low three figures i cant see there being any appetite within he government of nphet to open things up again.

and again just to reiterate, i dont agree with the severe restrictions but i can see the reason for them.

the reason for closing down construction was never about the onsite work practises, it was about movement of people when the case numbers were high

until the case numbers come down to low three figures i cant see there being any appetite within he government of nphet to open things up again.

and again just to reiterate, i dont agree with the severe restrictions but i can see the reason for them.

I presume you meant government or NPHET but the phrase government of NPHET is actually closer to the truth as they are running the show completely.

Every restriction seems reasonable when you look at it strictly through the prism of Covid transmission.

But people have to get on with their work and get on with their lives.

No other construction workforce is being asked to sit at home for months on end apart from Ireland's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭scwazrh

That may have been the idea behind it but it doesn’t work in practice. One of our sites would usually have between 15-20 tradesmen on it. It’s closed now so zero on site but at least 11 of those tradesmen are currently doing nixers in private houses. It would be of been far safer to keep them on one site with good COVID practices in place .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

We scrimped and saved to buy a house. Now we’re about to go into debt after another month paying rent and mortgage :( beyond upset and frustrated from the stress and worry, as is our builder.

Advertisement