Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tiviar Alpha Plus Combo STB

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Sonic the Shaghog

Anyone ever have a recording that just won't delete? I delete it and it doesn't even go to trash. As soon as the box is rebooted etc it reappears

Might I add all other recordings since delete fine probably a corrupted file or something but don't really wanna reflash etc just for this

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Might that file have multiple recordings inside?

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Sonic the Shaghog

greasepalm wrote: »
    Might that file have multiple recordings inside?

Thanks friend but no Def only a single file recording

Ok your file lists are you pressing red button to delete and it vanishes,go to trash can and then delete from there should remove it .

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Movie Maestro

I'm running ATV 6.1, if I upgrade to ATV 6.4 will I loose my previous settings and is it worth the hassle?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

I'm running ATV 6.1, if I upgrade to ATV 6.4 will I loose my previous settings and is it worth the hassle?

Backup your settings. It only takes a few seconds. You should get into the habit of doing it regularly. If the box is working well now, I wouldn't bother upgrading for the sake of it.
    If it ain't broke.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭NewClareman

I tried it and ended up rolling back to ATV 6.3. I had issues with the EPG populating and I couldn't connect from windows explorer. A password is now mandatory and I suspect the windows issue was related to this. (I did change the password and it worked fine from a terminal window.)

I would recommend ATV 6.3, but only if you have EPG issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭hs5424

Setup Vix image on about 30 of these boxes and never had any issues with epg etc. Never fails to update epg every night in 4 years.

hs5424 wrote: »
    Setup Vix image on about 30 of these boxes and never had any issues with epg etc. Never fails to update epg every night in 4 years.

The version of OpenATV used in the original THHB image, and some on this thread, is now quite old. Some users have reported issues with getting the EPG to populate. Hence my comment.

I moved to OpenATV 6.3 as it no longer requires CrossEPG and supports both Freesat and OpenEPG. This allows most FTA channels, including radio, to have a full EPG. It really is the best of all worlds as it allows FTA channels from Freesat and Sky, including radio, be combined. AFAIK the same EPG code is also used in Vix.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭kindalen

Hi guys, My box is stuck on a channel and message on screen says reading summaries read 12.87mb.

Is this a plug it out for few minutes and restart job? Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,474 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

kindalen wrote: »
    Hi guys, My box is stuck on a channel and message on screen says reading summaries read 12.87mb.

Is this a plug it out for few minutes and restart job? Thanks.

That sounds like crossepg?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭kindalen

Plugged it out for few minutes and its going again. Running Open ATV 6.1, Should I update to 6.3?

Old image and changed settings when i had those earlier issues and once sorted it would run abm and epg in the early mornings.
    I was using old vix images and thinking epg sources needed updating when they not worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭logonmar

Wouls really appreciate it if anyone could post a link to the Tuner Settings I should use on my Tiviar Alpha box.
    A friend set it up for me a couple of years ago but over time I feel I'm no longer using optimum tuner settings
    When I go into Tuner Configuration it shows the following and truth is it is all Meaningless to me:

Tuner A: DVB-S2 G3 (DVB-S2)
    Single
    Sats: 28.2E Astra 2E/2F/2G

Tuner B: DVB-S2 G3 (DVB-S2)
    Single

Tuner C: DVB-T/T2 NIM
    Sw
    Single

Switchable tuner types: (DVB-T2,DVB-C)
    Enabled: DVB-T, DVB-C

So if anyone can tell me if these are correct settings or advise correct ones I'd really appreciate it

logonmar wrote: »
    Wouls really appreciate it if anyone could post a link to the Tuner Settings I should use on my Tiviar Alpha box.
    A friend set it up for me a couple of years ago but over time I feel I'm no longer using optimum tuner settings
    When I go into Tuner Configuration it shows the following and truth is it is all Meaningless to me:

Tuner A: DVB-S2 G3 (DVB-S2)
    Single

Tuner B: DVB-S2 G3 (DVB-S2)
    Single

Tuner C: DVB-T/T2 NIM
    Sw
    Single

Switchable tuner types: (DVB-T2,DVB-C)
    Enabled: DVB-T, DVB-C

So if anyone can tell me if these are correct settings or advise correct ones I'd really appreciate it

That box only has 2 sat tuners A and B, should C not be Saorview or is that a Typo?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭logonmar

That box only has 2 sat tuners A and B, should C not be Saorview or is that a Typo?

You are correct.
    My mistake & C is Saorview

Do you know if A & B should both be the same as they are currently?
    I know lettle/nothing about these matters but would have presumed tuners would differ?
    Also not sure if
    DVB-S2 G3 (DVB-S2)
    Single
    is the correct setting for either/both tuner

Simple and Single for 28.2 with 2 sat feeds yes.

If you wanted to be pedantic, I find prefer to set tuner "B equal tuner A" so they share the same channel database but your existing settings will work too.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 rizzo 1976

Hey. Looking for some help and advice please. Recently dumped SKY after many years as I just felt it wasn't worth paying the constant increase in fees. Anyway got FreeView and Saorview installed and I have tiviar alpha box. Really cool box but looking for some help. My apologies in advance if these questions have been answered already.

1. How do I combine both the FreeView and Saorview channels into 1 EPG and be able to record from one EPG?

2. Im on OpenATV at the moment. Which is better OpenATV or OpenVix?

3. I tried installing a skin so it looks like SKY called SlyK which looks amazing but my box just froze. Does anyone have this skin/image as a back up I could use with picons?

Thanks.

If you wanted to be pedantic, I find prefer to set tuner "B equal tuner A" so they share the same channel database but your existing settings will work too.

Hi Gerry, can you help with my questions please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭swoofer

Ah you have 2 posts and that can cause a little problem. Did you load the image yourself and do you know which one? This thread is for the high horse brigade image and your other thread is for claremans image both are very good only slightly different.

If you flashed image yourself then you are building from scratch so you have to add autobouquets, configure that, add epg, like crossepg etc.

I could send you an image with all you need but you would need to change the DTT tuner location.

Could you say version of that sky skin as I tried one it caused problems so I dropped it. The box I have a family member using has openatv 6.2 and I thing skin is called metrix hd, would need to check. Another box has 6.1 and doing fine.

It would be better if you did the lot yourself then if anything went wonky you could fix. Most people have openatv on that box.

Say a bit more on what you did and you will be guided. There is another board techkings and they do special builds that include sky skin. I'll have a look and report back.

swoofer wrote: »
    Ah you have 2 posts and that can cause a little problem. Did you load the image yourself and do you know which one? This thread is for the high horse brigade image and your other thread is for claremans image both are very good only slightly different.

If you flashed image yourself then you are building from scratch so you have to add autobouquets, configure that, add epg, like crossepg etc.

I could send you an image with all you need but you would need to change the DTT tuner location.

Could you say version of that sky skin as I tried one it caused problems so I dropped it. The box I have a family member using has openatv 6.2 and I thing skin is called metrix hd, would need to check. Another box has 6.1 and doing fine.

It would be better if you did the lot yourself then if anything went wonky you could fix. Most people have openatv on that box.

Say a bit more on what you did and you will be guided. There is another board techkings and they do special builds that include sky skin. I'll have a look and report back.

The image was supplied and installed by the provider which is OpenATV 6.0

What do you mean by DTT tuner location?

The skin is SlyK, Google it and you'll find the IDK.

Everything was set up for me, but when I reflashed due to a soft brick and have to go through all the set up again I lost the channel configuration set by the provider and when I scanned it brought in alot of rubbish stuff and it was all over the place.

I'd like to install the SlyK skin and have one EPG for both Saorview & FreeView to record etc.

If I install your image do I have to set up all the channels etc again?

rizzo 1976 wrote: »
    Hi Gerry, can you help with my questions please?

You can try NewClareMans image that has been recommended to you but I prefer if people learn how to do things for themselves. (no offence NCM) It's a bit scary and confusing at first but the rewards are huge.
    This post gives an overview on how to rearrange channels any way you like.
    Be wary of the Sky skins many people have trouble with it. Likewise be careful downloading random IDKs. They may not suit your specific image and mess things up. It's safer to stick with whats available under the plugins menu, at least until you know how to undo any damage.
    ALWAYS make a backup of your settings first. It only takes 10 seconds and can save hours of swearing. You'll find it under software management.

You can try NewClareMans image that has been recommended to you but I prefer if people learn how to do things for themselves. (no offence NCM) It's a bit scary and confusing at first but the rewards are huge.
    This post gives an overview on how to rearrange channels any way you like.
    Be wary of the Sky skins many people have trouble with it. Likewise be careful downloading random IDKs. They may not suit your specific image and mess things up. It's safer to stick with whats available under the plugins menu, at least until you know how to undo any damage.
    ALWAYS make a backup of your settings first. It only takes 10 seconds and can save hours of swearing. You'll find it under software management.

No offense taken. 😀

My image is only intended for people who have no interest in technology and just want a working solution.

This on how to rearrange channels any way you like.

Ok Gerry, I've gone in to try and put the Saorview and FreeView channels together but I'm a bit lost. Could you please advise on how to have them all on one EPG like the picture you shared?

No offense taken. 😀

My image is only intended for people who have no interest in technology and just want a working solution.

Do you have your bouquet that has 1 EPG with both Saorview and FreeView channels together that you could send me so I can import it. Not sure how I add the FreeView to Saorview listings. Really appreciate your help.

rizzo 1976 wrote: »
    Ok Gerry, I've gone in to try and put the Saorview and FreeView channels together but I'm a bit lost. Could you please advise on how to have them all on one EPG like the picture you shared?

When you get into the WEBIF, on the bottom left click "BOUQUET EDITOR" which will bring up a screen similar to the picture. In the middle is a button to "ADD BOUQUET" The convention is to name it favourites but you could call it anything. Once created you will now see it listed above the add button. Click on your newly created bouquet. On the top left list select either RTENL for Saorview or BSKYB for the UK channels. Then in the bottom left list pick the channel(s) you want and hit the button marked "ADD SELECTION TO BOUQUET". It should now appear in the right-hand column. Keep doing this until you have all the channels you want. To change the order of the channels in the right-hand column, click the 3 lines in front of the channel name and drag/drop into whatever order you want.
    Use this method to create as many bouquets as you like for say, Kids stuff or Music channels or whatever you fancy.

When you get into the WEBIF, on the bottom left click "BOUQUET EDITOR" which will bring up a screen similar to the picture. In the middle is a button to "ADD BOUQUET" The convention is to name it favourites but you could call it anything. Once created you will now see it listed above the add button. Click on your newly created bouquet. On the top left list select either RTENL for Saorview or BSKYB for the UK channels. Then in the bottom left list pick the channel(s) you want and hit the button marked "ADD SELECTION TO BOUQUET". It should now appear in the right-hand column. Keep doing this until you have all the channels you want. To change the order of the channels in the right-hand column, click the 3 lines in front of the channel name and drag/drop into whatever order you want.
    Use this method to create as many bouquets as you like for say, Kids stuff or Music channels or whatever you fancy.

Perfect, your a gent. Appreciate it.

Anything else I need to be doing? How about picons?

I always wondered what the infatuation is with sky or virgin skins as not wanting to make it look like a providers box but one that stands out from the rest.

I like swearing and only use the odd backup but mainly like starting afresh.

• Advertisement

I always wondered what the infatuation is with sky or virgin skins as not wanting to make it look like a providers box but one that stands out from the rest.

I like swearing and only use the odd backup but mainly like starting afresh.

I got this for the wife, she loved SKY so I'm trying to make it look and feel like SKY for her to keep her sweet. It was the only way she would let me cancel SKY

Advertisement