Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tiviar Alpha Plus Combo STB

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

rizzo 1976 wrote: »
    Perfect, your a gent. Appreciate it.

Anything else I need to be doing? How about picons?

Have a look under the plugins menu to download picons. I don't have openATV setup just now so don't know whats available but hopefully there are some for astra 28E.
    When you have your channel bouquets the way you want remember BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP. Even if you swap to another image you can still use your backed up bouquets and timer / autotimer settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 rizzo 1976

You can try NewClareMans image that has been recommended to you but I prefer if people learn how to do things for themselves. (no offence NCM) It's a bit scary and confusing at first but the rewards are huge.
    This on how to rearrange channels any way you like.
    Be wary of the Sky skins many people have trouble with it. Likewise be careful downloading random IDKs. They may not suit your specific image and mess things up. It's safer to stick with whats available under the plugins menu, at least until you know how to undo any damage.
    ALWAYS make a backup of your settings first. It only takes 10 seconds and can save hours of swearing. You'll find it under software management.

I did a software backup as you stated and been tinkering with it but unfortunately after rebooting the GUI it's now stuck on the Open ATV screen. How do I restore the back up? Thanks

Have a look under the plugins menu to download picons. I don't have openATV setup just now so don't know whats available but hopefully there are some for astra 28E.
    When you have your channel bouquets the way you want remember BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP. Even if you swap to another image you can still use your backed up bouquets and timer / autotimer settings.

The box just sticks at the Open ATV screen and the counter just goes up to 83 then back to 0 them up to 83 again but remains on the OpenATV screen. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭NewClareman

The box just sticks at the Open ATV screen and the counter just goes up to 83 then back to 0 them up to 83 again but remains on the OpenATV screen. Any ideas?

Your best bet is to reflash the original image, linked in the first post on this thread. Once you're back up working you can change images, as you wish.

Sorry, just saw that you want a Sky look. Best flash OpenVix and install their blue skin, as suggested here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Sigma101

Apologies if this is the wrong thread. I’m not sure if this is a Tiviar or a satellite issue. About a week ago we lost reception on a lot of our Freesat channels incl. BBC 4, BBC News, E4, RT. Other channels, BBC1, 2, C4 etc are fine. I tried rescanning – it appears to find the channels but they’re still blank. I also tried reflashing the image from an onboard backup (it’s based on NCMs image) but it made no difference. Curiously we still have EPG for all of these channels. It was very windy recently and I thought first that the dish might have moved, but it appears to be fine. If anyone has any ideas please let me know. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭swoofer

BBC 4 starts at 7pm but try this for BBC News and it has 2 channels one is SD and Vertical and the other is H. You use the arrow buttons as a toggle ie go left or right, so.

Here is the sd one, so go menu, setup, reception, signal finder, arrow down to pre-defines, arrow right changes it to user, arrow down, change dvb s2 to dvb s , arrow down and type in frequency, 10818, symbol rate 22000, polarisation Vertical. fec make it auto, then pause. If you get a signal press scan, if you get no signal then dish is off.

swoofer wrote: »
    BBC 4 starts at 7pm but try this for BBC News and it has 2 channels one is SD and Vertical and the other is H. You use the arrow buttons as a toggle ie go left or right, so.

Here is the sd one, so go menu, setup, reception, signal finder, arrow down to pre-defines, arrow right changes it to user, arrow down, change dvb s2 to dvb s , arrow down and type in frequency, 10818, symbol rate 2200, polarisation Vertical. fec make it auto, then pause. If you get a signal press scan, if you get no signal then dish is off.

Thanks a lot for that swoofer. I tried the above but no signal. I then changed the symbol rate to 22000 (typo?). It then found a number of channels including BBC NEws. I guess that means the satellite reception is fine.Do I need to retune everything again? - not sure if I've been doing this correctly. Any idea why so many channels would disappear all of a sudden?

Did bbc news open?

Did bbc news open?

Yes, no problem

Good, why they are missing is a mystery. You may have your channels organised in bouquets so I dont want you to go to too much messing. Do you use autobouquets? But can you go to where you would normally get BCC News and see if it opens. Then I'll know next step.

• Advertisement

Channels are organised in bouquets according to NCMs image. BBC News HD is still not available. However in my Freesat bouquet (all freesat channels I think) I can select and watch BBC News (SD) .

There are 2 ways to fix, scan each channel or run autobouquets. Autobouquets are usually scheduled to run regularly but may be switched off.

Try this, I don't have that NCM image so if its different come back and I'll tell you how to scan.

Menu, setup, reception, autobouquets, start scan, that will scan sat and downlaod latest channel details and put them in bouquets.

I am waiting on a delivery so report back

Thanks again for that. ABM is set up to run automatically once a week. I triggered an ABM scan. It breaks off with the message "Failed to tune Freesat UK on tuner A". I've also tried an automatiic scan of the tuner. It picks up 251 channels in total (this seems low). It does not appear to pick up the missing channels, e.g. BBC News HD.

251 is very low there are about 858. You could look at providers and see if Freesat is selected, mine is set for BBC LONDON/ITV LONDON.

Ncm may be along later with the fix but in you are not busy, do a scan for each channel like above. Go here to get frequencies, just put in channel name etc It should replace channel in bouquets.

https://en.kingofsat.net/find.php?question=e4

Has SKY News moved or no longer on FreeSat. When I scan and find it, it just displays as a black box. Anyone else loose SKY News?

check on kingofsat as above for new frequency

check on kingofsat as above for new frequency

Yeah I scanned it on the box and it appeared but how do I save it? When I press ok it just kicks me back to the scan menu

green button

green button

Not green or red.

Green is scan and red is cancel. Tried a few other buttons and just getting an X

oh gosh, can you say exactly what image you are using? This hobby can be a nightmare. Go menu information about. Also when you scan the channels can be saved under last scan.

• Advertisement

oh gosh, can you say exactly what image you are using? This hobby can be a nightmare. Go menu information about. Also when you scan the channels can be saved under last scan.

I'm on OpenATV 6.4

I'm talking about a manual scan, it doesn't save in any folder.

I just switched to openatv 6.4 put in frequency for sky news sd, did a scan loads of channels came up, scrolled to sky news, channel opened, pres up arrow and saved under last scanned, all of the channels on that frequency, with signal finder it gives you a signal bar so you know you have input correct details.

Try that.

251 is very low there are about 858. You could look at providers and see if Freesat is selected, mine is set for BBC LONDON/ITV LONDON.

Ncm may be along later with the fix but in you are not busy, do a scan for each channel like above. Go here to get frequencies, just put in channel name etc It should replace channel in bouquets.

I eventually just switched out the receiver with an old one and had the same problem- lots of missing channels (I should have tried that first!). So I guess it's the dish or the cabling and not the Tiviar. Strange though how so many channels work and EPG is there for all channels. The dish hasn't moved from its position in 10 years. Could the LNB be defective? IT's a quad core LNB with just one core being used. Is there any point in swapping over one of the cores in the attic? Thanks again.

Is that LNB new and with a tiviar you are supposed to have 2 feeds tuner a tuner b, is the other box a tiviar as well. You can buy two types of quad lnb, a normal one that gives vertical and horizontal or a quatro that splits V and H so one output would be V and the other H ie 2 v and 2 h.

Has the box been ok so far. You have me intrigued. Try anything but you got bbc news so dish must be ok.

When you say core you do mean output?? ie 4 outputs.

Try a Vertical channel

Is that LNB new
    No, it's 10 years old
    and with a tiviar you are supposed to have 2 feeds tuner a tuner b,
    Yes, but we don't have the wiring to support both. We've managed fine without the two tuner functionality. (We've an antenna connected to C for Saorview).
    is the other box a tiviar as well.
    No, it's an old Smart MX04 - probably also 10 years old.
    You can buy two types of quad lnb, a normal one that gives vertical and horizontal or a quatro that splits V and H so one output would be V and the other H ie 2 v and 2 h.
    Apologies, I don't know the difference. It has 4 outputs and all seem identical from appearance
    Has the box been ok so far.
    We've had lots of problems with the Tiviar. Was ready to chuck it out and look for an alternative. Freezing controls, random reboots, etc. It's been back for warranty repair (PS replaced) but problems still persist. You have me wondering now if these could be EMC issues that the less sensitive older box tolerated.
    You have me intrigued. Try anything but you bbc news so dish must be ok.

When you say core you do mean output?? ie 4 outputs.
    Yes, outputs.
    Home school is over for the day so the TV is off limits to me now:). Will try again and report back when I can. I should have a look in the attic at the weekend also.

I have 2 tiviar going for 2 years with no trouble. Before you get rid, is it well ventilated, these boxes like lots of air circulation? Have you checked to see if it is running hot? Do you power off completely at night? Have you an HDD installed? You may have just fried the one output on that LNB so try the 3 others.

And finally is your image openatv from on here ie THB or NCM? Or did you build box from scratch? Are you using a fancy skin ie one that mimics sky.

You may be able to get box back.

Sigma101 wrote: »
    Yes, but we don't have the wiring to support both. We've managed fine without the two tuner functionality. (We've an antenna connected to C for Saorview).

Just replace your LNB with a Unicable one - it only requires one cable to support two tuners. You can get versions that also have legacy outputs, like your current LNB, for older receivers.
    Sigma101 wrote: »
    We've had lots of problems with the Tiviar. Was ready to chuck it out and look for an alternative. Freezing controls, random reboots, etc. It's been back for warranty repair (PS replaced) but problems still persist. You have me wondering now if these could be EMC issues that the less sensitive older box tolerated. Yes, outputs.

It could be a faulty image, or a failing drive.

You could try using my latest image. I've been using it for months, with no issue. Better still, I'll load a new version, tomorrow. The only difference is that I updated E2iPlayer and it is now working on many sites.

I'm on OpenATV 6.4

I tried OpenATV6.4 two or three weeks ago and I had lots of niggles. I reverted back to OpenATV6.3.

• Advertisement

I tried OpenATV6.4 two or three weeks ago and I had lots of niggles. I reverted back to OpenATV6.3.

Yes I've had a few aswell, like the blue screen error stating the box has crashed and will restart. I went from 6.0 to 6.4 so I might revert to 6.3 instead and see how I get on.

Advertisement