Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

North inner city turning into war zone

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,296 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

L1011 wrote: »
    The late 18th Century. Act of Union caused significant disruption and started the decline.

It has been rough since day 1. It was outside the city walls and before there were bridges over the Liffey wealthier people had no interest in living there.

The degeneracy now is crime and drugs related. It is not just a small minority either. Where people are not involved in these activities they enable them. A decent community spirit is lacking and it is not getting any better as the next generation moves in. I have the misfortune to work in the area and it is not unusual to hear of muggings. Drug dealing is done openly and anti social behaviour is tolerated.
    Some lovely houses have been built there to house the council tenants but I can't help but think that a few acres of high rise would have been a wiser option to 1. Address homelessness and 2. Address rising rents.
    The council have let the place go to ruin aswell. There are a number of empty and boarded up blocks of flats

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

The horses thing is shocking, I saw a horse being raced down Summerhill not too long ago, by a kid in a tracksuit with no saddle. In the UK, where they take animal cruelty seriously, you wouldn't get away with that for a second.

It’s shocking, open animal welfare abuse left go unchecked. Also if one of them hits your car no doubt the car driver will be sued. Now that I think of it last year in that area and clondalkin there were kids with horses everywhere too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    It has been rough since day 1. It was outside the city walls and before there were bridges over the Liffey wealthier people had no interest in living there.

Parnell Square was one of the finest addresses of the Georgian era. Mountjoy Square too. They are still good places to live

Until the medieval degenerates crawl out and start shuffling around.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,958 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

... but I can't help but think that a few acres of high rise would have been a wiser option...
    High rise for local authority housing? That was a huge success in Ballymun!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

This is completely wrong. Parnell Sq, Mountjoy Sq, Henrietta St etc. Henrietta St was laid out before nearly anything on the south side.

• Advertisement

This is completely wrong. Parnell Sq, Mountjoy Sq, Henrietta St etc. Henrietta St was laid out before nearly anything on the south side.
    The Dublin 8 and Dublin 7 areas were populated long before Dublin 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Whatever the area was like 50 20 or 5 years ago the thread was made to highlight the increased decline in the last 12 months.

I really think some of our elected representatives should walk from Henry Street to Connolly Station at 8pm tonight and take a look for themselves.

It is an absolute disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,044 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Is this just an OP rant or is there substance to it?

I mean "daily muggings outsdie the GPO" and "warzone" sound more like rhetoric and creative licene than actual observance or logic.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Let's face it, social welfare was a mistake.

Let's face it, social welfare was a mistake.

I love this argument - it's like people yearn for more violence and some form of post-apocalyptic anarchy!!

Lewis estimated nine means, but I say give it a week before there are riots outsdie every supermarket in the city and you'll see just how much of a mistake not having it is.

• Advertisement

I love this argument - it's like people yearn for more violence and some form of post-apocalyptic anarchy!!

Lewis estimated nine means, but I say give it a week before there are riots outsdie every supermarket in the city and you'll see just how much of a mistake not having it is.

Send in the army. **** them.

Send in the army. **** them.

So you DO want the city turned into a warzone?!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,788 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I mean "daily muggings outsdie the GPO" and "warzone" sound more like rhetoric and creative licene than actual observance or logic.

Yeah it's a bit dramatic alright. I think it's just that it's close to being a great city but is held back by a few things, and the anti-social element can be quiet visible at times, maybe pronounced by the lack of normal folk around town during lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

5 pages and only 1 mention of the scumbag parents of these scumbags?
    Is it always somebody else's fault? Not the parents? Why are kids roaming the streets at night time in big gangs terrorising foreign workers delivering food? Why aren't their parents keeping them in and obeying the social distancing rules like the rest of us?
    I know a scumbag parent will always have a scumbag child, but surely it is time to start holding parents of these scumbags to account?
    Because its a big wave of emotion and social media outrage when something happens, it seems a question about "WTF were the parents doing to make sure their kid wasn't in a dodgy situation" is a question too far in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

There is pretty much a monthly thread like this where people wildly exaggerate/straight up lie about things that are happening in Dublin.

So you DO want the city turned into a warzone?!

I didn't write the title, genius.

After its done, the rest of us can live in peace.

I didn't write the title, genius.

After its done, the rest of us can live in peace.

Never said you did, but the fact that you do tells me all about your argument.

The idea that we need a war to bring about peace is neither new nor intelligent.

Never said you did, but the fact that you do tells me all about your argument.

The idea that we need a war to bring about peace is neither new nor intelligent.

Nonsensical gibberish. It's been a pleasure.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

It's a simple enough problem to fix but you'll never find a politician brave enough to do it: move the social housing out of the city centre. Anywhere within a 3 mile radius of the IFSC should be prime real estate. Cleared of the scum and developed correctly it easily could be and if well managed, could actually pay for the development of new social hosuing.

Break up the "community" by distributing the current inhabitants in different parts of the suburbs (i.e don't just transplant the problem somewhere to a new Ballymun). The decent people living there get an escape to somewhere their children might see some more positive role-models and the advantages of education and hard work (i.e. some of their new neighbours having a BMW or an Audi in the driveway, their new playmates getting taken on nice holidays etc.). The scum get broken up, distribute them evenly (i.e. not allowing certain postcodes to avoid their fair share of the trouble-makers) and I suspect you wouldn't be more than a decade before their cough is softened or their new neighbours are properly motivated to vote for changes in our revolving door prison system.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,788 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

You say it's a simple solution but no politician would back such proposals in a million years, so it's entirely unrealistic. And there should be social housing in city centres, London has social housing in super posh areas like St John's Woods, Notting Hill, even Soho has a couple of blocks, and it seems to work fine there.
    Our social housing communities in town are just a bit different, so I'm not sure what the solution is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Ramasun

With less tourists and shoppers at the moment you'd think it would be an ideal time to take stock of issues in the area and target intervention.

Moving trouble makers to other parts of the country risks spreading their problems, like a virus, rather that tackling it in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 hokey32

Don't know what the solution is but since I've been back to work in the city (last August) it's edgy turned up to 11! I assumed it was just the lack of dilution. It's like 28 Days Later out there.....

Also not sure why Garda cars are parked on Grafton Street every evening while people are slitting each others throats on O'Connell St!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,296 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

High rise for local authority housing? That was a huge success in Ballymun!

No. For people working in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭mvt

I cycled down O Connell St last Saturday at about 6pm & was amazed at the size of the group of teenagers huddled together at the base looking like penguins in Antarctica :)

Also a fair few junkie couples screaming at each other.

In all fairness the city looked lovely in the twilight but there is a slightly uncomfortable feeling atm with the lack of regular folk around.

Have no idea what the answer is to the anti social behaviour in Dublin in general- hopefully tourists think its quaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Merowig

"‘I’ll blow your f**king legs off’: Crime and neglect in Dublin city centre
    RESIDENTS, COMMUNITY ACTIVISTS AND YOUTH WORKERS ALL AGREE THAT A SENSE OF INCREASED DRUG-RELATED VIOLENCE, THREAT AND INTIMIDATION IN RECENT MONTHS HAS BROUGHT HEIGHTENED FEAR TO THE AREA"

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/i-ll-blow-your-f-king-legs-off-crime-and-neglect-in-dublin-city-centre-1.4483079

mvt wrote: »
    ... was amazed at the size of the group of teenagers huddled together at the base...
    At the base of what?

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭IrishLad90

At the base of what?

You must know the base.. Alfalfa and the guys hang out there...

Sorry for going off topic
    Could be autocorrect or the spire

• Registered Users Posts: 22,016 ✭✭✭✭Esel

At the base of what?
    All your base

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Sleepy wrote: »
    It's a simple enough problem to fix but you'll never find a politician brave enough to do it: move the social housing out of the city centre. Anywhere within a 3 mile radius of the IFSC should be prime real estate. Cleared of the scum and developed correctly it easily could be and if well managed, could actually pay for the development of new social hosuing.

Break up the "community" by distributing the current inhabitants in different parts of the suburbs (i.e don't just transplant the problem somewhere to a new Ballymun). The decent people living there get an escape to somewhere their children might see some more positive role-models and the advantages of education and hard work (i.e. some of their new neighbours having a BMW or an Audi in the driveway, their new playmates getting taken on nice holidays etc.). The scum get broken up, distribute them evenly (i.e. not allowing certain postcodes to avoid their fair share of the trouble-makers) and I suspect you wouldn't be more than a decade before their cough is softened or their new neighbours are properly motivated to vote for changes in our revolving door prison system.

why should I work hard and pay good harearned
    money to live inna decent area if scumbag vermin and their ferral offspring are going to be gifted a house next door? There are enough threads on here about knacker families terrorising families and targeting people to intimidate and ruining their luves. Build a new Ballymun and **** them all in it - off in the wilds of f’ing nowhere with nothing to do or rob except go tonschool and improve yourself and work your way out - and make the parents account for their dole and handouts by working fir them - clear shores, sweep leaves, cut verges, paint walls, pick litter - I don’t give a *. we have multiple generations of families despite every resource being thrown at them sitting on their arses in city centre houses ir appartments paid for by the hardworking poor while they watch soaps & football all day on their V de Paul paid for 54” TV’s & their ferral children run amuck while waiting in the housing list for de hime dey are ‘entitled’ to.

We need to get touch on ferral families and this expectation that if you do nothing you will be rewarded with the same perks and luxuries as those who contribute to society and pay their way.

The first thing they should do is move every last ine of then out and demolish ALL the city centre flats - north AND southside - sell the land to multinationals for businesses or car parks for those working and commuting into town or luxury appartments for people who want to live in the city and will pay their way. Not endless dregs and druggies and deadbeats. You’d soon see the city improve. That an a no nonsense review of the criminal justice system that focuses on punishment and prisons and protecting the law abiding citizens - no more of this soft touch and reformative justice easy ride ****.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

There is pretty much a monthly thread like this where people wildly exaggerate/straight up lie about things that are happening in Dublin.

Have you been in the areas mentioned?

The place has lost it, it is okay in daylight hours, just about but after dark i dare any boardsie to allow their child walk through the area.

How can this be allowed happen on our main street. Sucessive failure of governments to sort out Dublin.

You had 20 squad cars breaking up a shebeen in Swords yet there is a crisis right outside Store Street station. Any faith in AGS is lost from myself.

Advertisement