Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl - recommendations

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭KnicksInSix

odyssey06 wrote: »
    In the catalogue the French week food specials are due to be in store Thursday.

Just wondering have people noticed the food specials arriving in store early, say on the Wednesday afternoon?

Some of the French bits were in my Lidl in Glasnevin earlier, the dry goods.

Btw those italiamo olives are so-so, strange aftertaste. I always stock up on the cherries.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Debub

anyone knwo if these are any good ?
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭scotchy

Debub wrote: »
    anyone knwo if these are any good ?
    thanks

Have one for my motorbike, great bit of kit. haven't used it on the car yet though.

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Registered Users Posts: 34,030 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Yeah I have the first one for a couple of years, no problems.

For a motorbike get the first one, either will do a car.

They taste awful though :p

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,396 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

I've a car with a completely flat battery, would these get it charged enough to drive it around for an hour to get it fully charged? How do they work?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

I've a car with a completely flat battery, would these get it charged enough to drive it around for an hour to get it fully charged? How do they work?

My friend has one and it often started my old banger so does the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,030 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Depends on how long the battery has been left like that, some say they can recover a sulphated battery / have a deep discharge mode (I think this one does) but imho once a battery gets like that it'll never be much use again

Some 'smart' chargers need a certain level of voltage to start charging at all (old fashioned ones didn't.) - some people have had success connecting a good battery in parallel across the charger just to get charging initiated and after a while the bad battery can be charged on its own.

Fooling yourself if you think a flat battery will be ok after charging it just enough to start and then driving around for an hour. If your battery needs charging, don't drive it, leave it on the charger until full. That could take days.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Debub

Yeah I have the first one for a couple of years, no problems.

For a motorbike get the first one, either will do a car.

They taste awful though :p

apologies - I cant confirm or deny that :-)
    oops - forgot for a moment that this is a food n drink thread

• Administrators Posts: 53,434 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The Madeleines in the french week are absolutely amazing with a tea or coffee. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,113 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

awec wrote: »
    The Madeleines in the french week are absolutely amazing with a tea or coffee. :)

Sssh...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I'm sure the Way To Go chocolate has been mentioned already but the caramelised almond and sea salt flavour is just gorgeous! I can't do a shop in Lidl without throwing in a bar now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

Twee. wrote: »
    I'm sure the Way To Go chocolate has been mentioned already but the caramelised almond and sea salt flavour is just gorgeous! I can't do a shop in Lidl without throwing in a bar now.

+1 I’ve tried all the chocolate within this range and the caramelised almond and sea salt variation is definitely my favourite :)

Although they’re all nice tbh.... Lidl are really punching above their class when it comes to chocolate :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

I love madeleines! What does the packet look like or where woukd i find them?

yellow hen wrote: »

Not in fridge. The section of store where they put the ambient weekly food specials. Last week would have been Italian stuff. This week French.
    Probably some Easter stuff in that area too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Not in fridge. The section of store where they put the ambient weekly food specials. Last week would have been Italian stuff. This week French.
    Probably some Easter stuff in that area too.

Thanks! Will be keeping an eye out for them!

• Administrators Posts: 53,434 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The packet is a yellow plastic bag basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Thanks! Will be keeping an eye out for them!

They're amazing! I bought six bags (and that was being conservative/ embarrassed). I've a French man in the house who went through bags of them last time they were in, I'd consider it a ringing endorsement :D

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭tv3tg4

Ice creams are good.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭tangy

I'm sure that reminds me of something ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭FionnK86

AhhHere wrote: »
    Beans and chickpeas been missing for a while in my local

Asked Lidl on whatsapp, but they asked for barcode which's a bit silly, since I did say I didn't have any left.

However, there's now stock of a new brand of organic mixed beans by 'Bunalun' from Killarney at 0.89c each. I'll see how they compare to the last one's now at lunch.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,785 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

FionnK86 wrote: »
    Asked Lidl on whatsapp, but they asked for barcode which's a bit silly, since I did say I didn't have any left.

However, there's now stock of a new brand of organic mixed beans by 'Bunalun' from Killarney at 0.89c each. I'll see how they compare to the last one's now at lunch.:)

Their butterbeans have been replaced with Bunalun Organic, too.
    They are very tiny butterbeans - I'm not overly impressed - and I bought 24 cans of them:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭tangy

Seems standard practice with them (and Aldi). Product disappears for a while; returns as lower quality. Maybe a new brand name.

tangy wrote: »
    Seems standard practice with them (and Aldi). Product disappears for a while; returns as lower quality. Maybe a new brand name.

On the face of it, it's a superior product - organic.
    Nothing really wrong with them, they're just smaller beans and I prefer bigger butterbeans.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭tscul32

Bunalun is a brand though, so they'll probably bring back a Lidl own version at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,266 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Has anybody tried this?
    160317357_4366463230033834_5754674058871072007_o.jpg?_nc_cat=105&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=HOmoUPXwJy8AX-Uk4Xq&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=5815765389ef48dd6deedbff8c14ad06&oe=6078B586

I think I know why Lidl are selling Bunalun Organic Butterbeans cheap.
    About 1 in 3 of the ringpulls are defective:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Peig Sayers

Has anybody tried this?
    160317357_4366463230033834_5754674058871072007_o.jpg?_nc_cat=105&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=HOmoUPXwJy8AX-Uk4Xq&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=5815765389ef48dd6deedbff8c14ad06&oe=6078B586

Yes, it's not that nice. We use the fresh pizza bases from Aldi - €2.79 for two on the chilled shelf. Very nice dough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭Technique

All of the Bellarom coffee beans are gone from my store. They are the ones in the brown bag. The Ethiopian ones were particularly good as well as being cheap. Are they gone in all stores?

• Advertisement

The cimarossa wine range are reduced to 5e a bottle at the moment.
    If you are feeling adventurous I recommend mixing the merlot and cab sav reds in a jug or decanter - as one is a little sweet and the other a bit robust. They blend well.

Have a sip of each before blending as a taste test.

Advertisement