Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭ADO

Our estate agent is adamant the site is closed (its a site of 7 houses).... It extremely frustrating, any advice on what I can do or is it a case of sit tight and wait

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭mrbrightside11

ADO wrote: »
    Anyone having any joy lately on getting valuation report done considering current restrictions? We can't get one done on our new home, therefore can't move to loan offer, however my broke has told me he has had a number of valuation reports carried out this week (in Dublin)

We had no problem getting our valuation or survey done this week (in Dublin). House is currently occupied but no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Humour Me

Our estate agent is adamant the site is closed (its a site of 7 houses).... It extremely frustrating, any advice on what I can do or is it a case of sit tight and wait

Can you go around the EA and contact the developer directly? It’s in their interest to progress the sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Treppen wrote: »
    Really though, if you're selling your own gaffe and have AIP (albeit redacted), chances are you have the funds. They can check themselves to see how many years you've been in the house and that you'd have equity.

Maybe they just want to be lazy and work on the buyer with the biggest AIP/Equity potential.

Personally I'd rather rent for a while rather than tell an EA what my budget is. They can go ***** off.

Proof of funds me whole.

I know someone who has cash burning a hole in his pocket and wants to move back home to Waterford. Estate agents are asking him for proof of funds and he doesnt want to give it to them as he doesnt want them to know he is buying with cash. Hes actually used to be a car salesman so he know what they will do with it if they know how much you can afford :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

JimmyVik wrote: »
    I know someone who has cash burning a hole in his pocket and wants to move back home to Waterford. Estate agents are asking him for proof of funds and he doesnt want to give it to them as he doesnt want them to know he is buying with cash. Hes actually used to be a car salesman so he know what they will do with it if they know how much you can afford :)

Isn't buying with cash seen as a massive advantage?

• Advertisement

Humour Me wrote: »
    Can you go around the EA and contact the developer directly? It’s in their interest to progress the sale.

Just rang the builders there and explained the situation to them, they aren't too sure either so they will call me back. Really starting to panic now

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭WheresMyCamera?

Well, today was the big day! Picked up the keys this morning and I'm delighted. It's been a very very long road for me to get here. Bought on my own after spending the last 5 years back living with the folks, saving every penny I could to add to the small mortgage I could get approval for. A ton of sacrifices had to be made but so thankful I had to support to be able to do it this way. Otherwise, I couldn't have afforded to buy in the location I ended up in. Countless viewings and I've imagined myself living in more places than I care to count. I've ended up in a few bidding wars, in particular, over the last two years.

Went sale agreed on a little cottage in Dublin back in very early August and it took 6 months to get all the paperwork done, including having to reapply for another mortgage as my AIP expired mid-way through the process!

I've been reading these posts over the last few years and found many very helpful bits of advice posted within the board. Just want to say thank you to the countless people on here who never knew their stories and advice can end up helping so many people.

:)
    A.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Well, today was the big day! Picked up the keys this morning and I'm delighted. It's been a very very long road for me to get here. Bought on my own after spending the last 5 years back living with the folks, saving every penny I could to add to the small mortgage I could get approval for. A ton of sacrifices had to be made but so thankful I had to support to be able to do it this way. Otherwise, I couldn't have afforded to buy in the location I ended up in. Countless viewings and I've imagined myself living in more places than I care to count. I've ended up in a few bidding wars, in particular, over the last two years.

Went sale agreed on a little cottage in Dublin back in very early August and it took 6 months to get all the paperwork done, including having to reapply for another mortgage as my AIP expired mid-way through the process!

I've been reading these posts over the last few years and found many very helpful bits of advice posted within the board. Just want to say thank you to the countless people on here who never knew their stories and advice can end up helping so many people.

:)
    A.

Congrats!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭optogirl

Currently bidding on a house I've never been in (My Dad is rolling in his grave!) - has gone from 290-320 in 24 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

optogirl wrote: »
    Currently bidding on a house I've never been in (My Dad is rolling in his grave!) - has gone from 290-320 in 24 hours.

Where abouts is it ? 3 bed ? Good condition ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭optogirl

Where abouts is it ? 3 bed ? Good condition ?

2 bed, good condition, D7

2 bed, good condition, D7

Depending on your circumstances you may not have a choice but to bid on a house you can't physically view . Just make sure you do it before exchanging contracts

I know Dublin 7 is a bit crazy at the moment so good luck in your search

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Sweetaure

Currently bidding on a house, asking price is €445k, current bid is €470, with at least 3 bidders. Good location (cork suburbs), but need a good bit of work. I think we’ll walk away, but it pains me, as there is nothing coming online and we’ll be vacating our own house shortly...

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Reins

JimmyVik wrote: »

If I was him I'd send my solicitor a bank statement and ask her to write a letter stating I have sufficent funds in my account to complete a sale on the property.

Anyone having any joy lately on getting valuation report done considering current restrictions? We can't get one done on our new home, therefore can't move to loan offer, however my broke has told me he has had a number of valuation reports carried out this week (in Dublin)

Had one carried out a few weeks back, but it was a drive-by tbf as house not yet completed

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Milena009

Hi all, quick question
    EA said there is couple offers similar to ours.
    Viewing Saturday's
    My q ism
    Is ea obligated to tell you when your bid is no longer the highest ? If you been outbid.

I think they are but this ea is so like n enigmatic

• Registered Users Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Milena009 wrote: »
    Hi all, quick question
    Viewing Saturday's
    My q ism
    Is ea obligated to tell you when your bid is no longer the highest ? If you been outbid.

I don't think they have to contact you, but you can always contact them.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Sweetaure

Milena009 wrote: »
    Hi all, quick question
    Viewing Saturday's
    My q ism

It’s in their interest to contact you to get a higher bid.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭cousin_borat

Went sale agreed on a 3 bed sd house in Raheny last December. We had originally pulled out of the bidding, EA came back a few weeks later as we were the underbidder. Our sale agreed price is still 10% over asking. Asking price was mid 420s.

Our solicitor still hasn't gotten contracts yet. There's a problem with a charge still existing from an old INBS mortgage from former owners. It should have been dealt with by current owners/their bank/their solicitor when they bought it. IMO Estate Agents should advise sellers to pay €5 to Land Registry and check the folio for their property as part of basic checks when thinking of selling!

We had a sale fall through a couple of years ago, as the bank introduced new conditions after AIP stage so we're anxious for this one to succeed.

Getting mortgage approved when you're self employed is a bit of an ordeal, so falling through at this stage (and for 2nd time) would be tough.

Best of luck to everyone else here, sending good joojoo your way.

Went sale agreed on a 3 bed sd house in Raheny last December. We had originally pulled out of the bidding, EA came back a few weeks later as we were the underbidder. Our sale agreed price is still 10% over asking. Asking price was mid 420s.

Our solicitor still hasn't gotten contracts yet. There's a problem with a charge still existing from an old INBS mortgage from former owners. It should have been dealt with by current owners/their bank/their solicitor when they bought it. IMO Estate Agents should advise sellers to pay €5 to Land Registry and check the folio for their property as part of basic checks when thinking of selling!

We had a sale fall through a couple of years ago, as the bank introduced new conditions after AIP stage so we're anxious for this one to succeed.

Getting mortgage approved when you're self employed is a bit of an ordeal, so falling through at this stage (and for 2nd time) would be tough.

Best of luck to everyone else here, sending good joojoo your way.

Congrats . It will be worth the wait Raheny is a great place to live . I have been sale agreed on a house so long im starting to doubt if i even want to go through with it.

• Advertisement

Update: valuation report was completed this morning, massive relief to us thank god

• Registered Users Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Hooked

Had to pull out this week from a bidding war (well, maybe not a war) after a house we really loved went 10% over the asking price and just a tad outside of our already revised "maximum" budget. This is Limerick BTW.

It was us and 1 other couple/party - but we are processing all sorts of emotions the last 2 days - wondering should we have kept going,...

...and if we had secured it at well over our "MAX" budget, would we then be regretting it.

Silver lining is that we have a home, and can continue to save and look hard. The house in question just had so much character and was a real fit for us.

Pretty stressful trying to sell & buy and balance the timing...

Thanks for the opportunity to vent!

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Smiley11

Hooked wrote: »
    Had to pull out this week from a bidding war (well, maybe not a war) after a house we really loved went 10% over the asking price and just a tad outside of our already revised "maximum" budget. This is Limerick BTW.

It was us and 1 other couple/party - but we are processing all sorts of emotions the last 2 days - wondering should we have kept going,...

...and if we had secured it at well over our "MAX" budget, would we then be regretting it.

Silver lining is that we have a home, and can continue to save and look hard. The house in question just had so much character and was a real fit for us.

Pretty stressful trying to sell & buy and balance the timing...

Thanks for the opportunity to vent!

We walked from a bidding war a few months ago & I'm still sore over it. Sorer since I saw the PPR because I thought it would go for a lot more with 2 bidders left but it went at the price we bowed out at so I'm raging we didn't push a bit harder. We don't have a home so it stings but I've learned a lot from it so thats one silver lining!

Best of luck with the house hunt!

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nika Bolokov

Looking at a house in Lucan. No viewings will be done virtual or otherwise and no internal photos up except 1 or 2 of the kitchen and living room. Bidding is already at asking price.....

Madness

• Registered Users Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Looking at a house in Lucan. No viewings will be done virtual or otherwise and no internal photos up except 1 or 2 of the kitchen and living room. Bidding is already at asking price.....

Madness

There's no downside to throwing a bid on. Just a quick phone call and a text.

If people had to pay a bidding deposit you wouldn't see half of this nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭brianc27

Would people placing crazy bids just to get a place "on hold" for first refusal when they finally get an in person view not drive up the eventual asking price aswell, if a place went sale agreed 20% over initial asking price then the bidder pulls out after viewing, is it likely to go back on the market at 20% more then it did initially.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Thomasirl123

brianc27 wrote: »
    Would people placing crazy bids just to get a place "on hold" for first refusal when they finally get an in person view not drive up the eventual asking price aswell, if a place went sale agreed 20% over initial asking price then the bidder pulls out after viewing, is it likely to go back on the market at 20% more then it did initially.

Agreed, there's an artificial price increase. Then there's the indirect downside when those people actually want to buy a house and some else is bidding just for a viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nika Bolokov

Crazy attitude from agents at the moment. If I was a seller I wouldn't be happy with an agent taking bids from people who had not even seen internal photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    There's no downside to throwing a bid on. Just a quick phone call and a text.

If people had to pay a bidding deposit you wouldn't see half of this nonsense.

You posted this before, its equally nonsense. Paying for the privilege of submitting a bid is outrageous. Particularly as people, such as myself are now having to bid on multiple properties, just to even get a viewing. Far simpler to have people submit proof of funds. I can do that through gritted teeth, paying a deposit just to bid, not a chance. The admin of that kind of system alone is impractical. .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

Agreed on the mad bidding that's happening. Asking prices are being inflated from what I can see, due to unseen bids and hence, heightened seller expectations.

I don't know if this is the right thread or if it's a big enough topic for it's own thread, but we have been looking at Goatstown and Dundrum, specifically places like Larchfield Road, Mount Carmel Road, Annaville Park (Dundrum Road side). These are all around the perimeter of the Central Mental Hospital Site which is being planned by the LDA to become Dundrum Central, quite a big housing development.

We have been aware of the plans for some months, and viewed a house last year which was right at the perimeter wall, ultimately we were put off by the prospect of 3-8 storey apartments going up that close to the house (as shown in the attachments here).

We have just seen the proposed site plans from the public (virtual) consultation last month. One of the proposed access roads for cars cuts right through the playing fields in between Rosemount/Larchfield Road (currently a quiet area) and they're also proposing to make some of Larchfield Road one way.

Dundrum is already quite congested on the Windy Arbour side and the LUAS tends to be completely crowded at rush hours once it gets to that area. Our key concerns now are things like - what would the impacts be on public transport, traffic, and congestion be? How about pressure on schools, creches etc.

I'm just wondering if anyone else is following this development and has opinions or any inside track. There are homes coming up in Annaville now and on Mt Carmel Road and we're wondering if it's a case of the sellers selling while they can still get a good price, or if any of the residents are that bothered about the plans. In general those areas have been pretty desirable up until now.

I can see that there is a Roebuck residents association page where they are alarmed at the development and encouraging objections etc. (they highlight that there are three major proposals in the area which will increase congestion significantly).

Given that it's such a large development we now have big concerns about buying in this area if the plans go ahead as proposed. We want this to be our family home for 20 years or more so would like to understand the extent of potential changes. Is anyone watching this situation or does anyone live in the area?

Thought it best to ask anyway and see if anyone else would like to share thoughts on this. :o

Link to PDF of the virtual consultation: https://dundrumcentral.ie/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/DundrumCentral_VCRoom_21.02.02.pdf

Advertisement