Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nika Bolokov

Agreed on the mad bidding that's happening. Asking prices are being inflated from what I can see, due to unseen bids and hence, heightened seller expectations.

I don't know if this is the right thread or if it's a big enough topic for it's own thread, but we have been looking at Goatstown and Dundrum, specifically places like Larchfield Road, Mount Carmel Road, Annaville Park (Dundrum Road side). These are all around the perimeter of the Central Mental Hospital Site which is being planned by the LDA to become Dundrum Central, quite a big housing development.

We have been aware of the plans for some months, and viewed a house last year which was right at the perimeter wall, ultimately we were put off by the prospect of 3-8 storey apartments going up that close to the house (as shown in the attachments here).

We have just seen the proposed site plans from the public (virtual) consultation last month. One of the proposed access roads for cars cuts right through the playing fields in between Rosemount/Larchfield Road (currently a quiet area) and they're also proposing to make some of Larchfield Road one way.

Dundrum is already quite congested on the Windy Arbour side and the LUAS tends to be completely crowded at rush hours once it gets to that area. Our key concerns now are things like - what would the impacts be on public transport, traffic, and congestion be? How about pressure on schools, creches etc.

I'm just wondering if anyone else is following this development and has opinions or any inside track. There are homes coming up in Annaville now and on Mt Carmel Road and we're wondering if it's a case of the sellers selling while they can still get a good price, or if any of the residents are that bothered about the plans. In general those areas have been pretty desirable up until now.

I can see that there is a Roebuck residents association page where they are alarmed at the development and encouraging objections etc. (they highlight that there are three major proposals in the area which will increase congestion significantly).

Given that it's such a large development we now have big concerns about buying in this area if the plans go ahead as proposed. We want this to be our family home for 20 years or more so would like to understand the extent of potential changes. Is anyone watching this situation or does anyone live in the area?

Thought it best to ask anyway and see if anyone else would like to share thoughts on this. :o

Link to PDF of the virtual consultation: https://dundrumcentral.ie/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/DundrumCentral_VCRoom_21.02.02.pdf

A development of that size would likely have a large social /affordable element which is what would be to the forefront of my mind if I was paying a big price for a house in that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭itsusuallyjazz

119 days since I went Sale Agreed on a house that the vendors where supposedly keen on a quick sale !

Finally had a call from my solicitor to say they have received the queries back and they are happy now for me to sign.

Here's hoping we close quickly now :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭pleh

link on the journal, what happens after sale agreed.

https://www.thejournal.ie/what-happens-after-sale-agreed-4661920-May2019/?section=comment#comments

It nice to read up on what to expect. For me being sale agreed so long is taking the shine off the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

I've been trying to get through to an EA for a straight week to make a bid on an apartment that currently has no bids on it. I'm beginning to understand why!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 sanfranbest

Why estate agents have a bad reputation!

I intend to sell a property in South Dublin this summer and trade up to a bigger place.
    I have been looking at Daft and myhome every day, when I see a place that might interest me; I send the EA an email requesting more information.
    50% of EA’s never replied,
    10% replied within one day
    The rest answered in a few days.
    Do EA’s not realize that every person they meet or correspond with is a potential client,
    I am making a list of the EA’s who responded within a day, which ones gave the most information and which ones were the most professional.
    I will sell my property with the EA who shows the most professionalism, which you would think should be normal for most of them, but the level of professionalism is horrendous.
    The basic lesson in any successful business is “Reply to enquires ASAP”, are they that busy that they cannot reply to emails?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nika Bolokov

I intend to sell a property in South Dublin this summer and trade up to a bigger place.
    I have been looking at Daft and myhome every day, when I see a place that might interest me; I send the EA an email requesting more information.
    Do EA’s not realize that every person they meet or correspond with is a potential client,
    I am making a list of the EA’s who responded within a day, which ones gave the most information and which ones were the most professional.
    I will sell my property with the EA who shows the most professionalism, which you would think should be normal for most of them, but the level of professionalism is horrendous.
    The basic lesson in any successful business is “Reply to enquires ASAP”, are they that busy that they cannot reply to emails?

Im no fan of estate agents and I also find them slow to respond, especially right now, but they must get dozens of emails from time wasters and dreamers every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Thomasirl123

Houses are selling themselves at the moment. EA doesn't need to do anything to get their cut.

Im no fan of estate agents and I also find them slow to respond, especially right now, but they must get dozens of emails from time wasters and dreamers every day.

Good point on time waster and dreamers,

But I word my emails showing that I am a potential seller and trading up,

50% of EA's still do not answer,

That is not acceptable in any profession.....

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭DubLad69

Our house has been delayed. Its a new build. Is it possible to drawdown the mortgage before the house is ready?

Is that something that a solicitor can do? My partner has gotten an amazing job offer, but she will need to start the month before the house is now due.

Is it possible to drawdown and start paying the mortgage before the house is finished?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Good point on time waster and dreamers,

But I word my emails showing that I am a potential seller and trading up,

50% of EA's still do not answer,

That is not acceptable in any profession.....

But there's probably 5 other people calling and booking viewings while you're just an email.

• Advertisement

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    But there's probably 5 other people calling and booking viewings while you're just an email.

Ok,
    But if you were selling your property wouldn't you want your EA to contact every potential buyer,
    Even an "Email"

That "Email" buyer could be in another country, and maybe the highest bidder.

It is very easy to flag an email and get back to them later or the next day.

Ok,
    But if you were selling your property wouldn't you want your EA to contact every potential buyer,

I want my EA to sell my house and get a good price.

If an EA can get 3 or 4 people interested that's all you need, kick off a bidding war and shift the property.

No sense entertaining every tom dick and Harry, especially when the majority are timewasters.

Same as donedeal. I'll answer the phone to people who are interested. I won't answer texts or emails.

I want my EA to sell my house and get a good price.

If an EA can get 3 or 4 people interested that's all you need, kick off a bidding war and shift the property.

No sense entertaining every tom dick and Harry, especially when the majority are timewasters.

Same as donedeal. I'll answer the phone to people who are interested. I won't answer texts or emails.

Totally disagree with you,
    Some of the properties I have emailed on have been on the market for over 6 months.
    All the phone callers, time wasters and dreamers have all come and gone, the property has not sold,,,
    so maybe the EA should answer the emails,,,,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Seems odd to exclude potential buyers just because of their choice of communication method?!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Dave3030

Seems odd to exclude potential buyers just because of their choice of communication method?!

Id imagine its from years of experience dealing with the kind who text instead of call-and i totally agree, most (not all) texters turn out to be timewasters.

As for the other poster-if you are interested in the house-why not call? would you refuse to call about a house you loved, and let it slip by just because the agent didnt get around to mailing you back?

to be fair id say they get dozens of mails each day (imagine having 5 or more houses on the go)

Standard practice for most people. A phone call shouldn't be too much effort for someone who's interested. More so when buying a house.

If I'm interested in a property I'll call. It's rare the EA doesn't answer and (pre COVID) I've just booked a viewing and gone to it.

I wouldn't bother asking for more info in an email. You'll get all the details you need much faster over the phone. If the EA wanted to communicate details electronically they'd put them in the advert.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭DubLad69

Standard practice for most people. A phone call shouldn't be too much effort for someone who's interested. More so when buying a house.

If I'm interested in a property I'll call. It's rare the EA doesn't answer and (pre COVID) I've just booked a viewing and gone to it.

I wouldn't bother asking for more info in an email. You'll get all the details you need much faster over the phone. If the EA wanted to communicate details electronically they'd put them in the advert.

I'm sure most people would go through the effort of calling if they knew that was necessary. If they don't want to bother giving more info via email then why are they providing an email in the ad?

If they don't want to answer emails and texts they can at least say phone calls only.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 353 ✭✭discodiva92

I heard a good anecdote from someone working in HR in London there's a recruiter who filters out people by getting them to call him direct instead of going through 100s of email if they want the job they will call

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Smiley11

https://www.irishexaminer.com/property/residential/arid-40232603.html

Another shining example of the rabid market in Cork City....madness!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

https://www.auctioneera.ie/property/10-glenfarne-road-raheny-dublin-d05-t6p4

Sale agreed at 400k . Madness . The whole thing needs to be gutted . And it's Tonlegee rd not Raheny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭CarMc

I never called, I would look at the ad on My Home and click Email Agent link on the right, I would say the majority of them called me back the following day to arrange a viewing, this was all last year so through Covid etc.

There was only one that didn't get back to me at all but they were an agency I had never heard of before and I wasn't that keen on that house.

Always remember, especially for sellers, if the agent's fee is 1% then once they hit a price you find acceptable there's very little incentive for them to hold out or push it more, 1% of an extra €10000 of bidding is only €100 for them. More worth their while closing your sale and moving on to the next one! I found that when I sold, once we got to a price just above asking I was told there was no more interest and kind of pressured in to accepting. I had to take their word that there was no more interest in my house at that point.

Sale agreed at 400k . Madness . The whole thing needs to be gutted . And it's Tonlegee rd not Raheny

That kitchen :eek: was someone really living in that!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,908 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

CarMc wrote: »
    That kitchen :eek: was someone really living in that!

Yeah, the lighting looks terrible and the lack of an axtractor fan is pretty bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 S_ean_m

Is anyone else looking at the Belcamp development on the Malahide road or have info about the area. We have a deposit down but are now having doubts due to proximity to some pretty rough areas. We were hopeful that the anti social element wouldn’t venture up that road but that’s a big risk to take. Anyone else considering this area your advice would be appreciated!

S_ean_m wrote: »
    Is anyone else looking at the Belcamp development on the Malahide road or have info about the area. We have a deposit down but are now having doubts due to proximity to some pretty rough areas. We were hopeful that the anti social element wouldn’t venture up that road but that’s a big risk to take. Anyone else considering this area your advice would be appreciated!

Not sure if this thread is about the same development as it's 2 years old but might be worth a look: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=106611383

DubLad69 wrote: »
    I'm sure most people would go through the effort of calling if they knew that was necessary. If they don't want to bother giving more info via email then why are they providing an email in the ad?

If they don't want to answer emails and texts they can at least say phone calls only.
    Dave3030 wrote: »
    Id imagine its from years of experience dealing with the kind who text instead of call-and i totally agree, most (not all) texters turn out to be timewasters.

As for the other poster-if you are interested in the house-why not call? would you refuse to call about a house you loved, and let it slip by just because the agent didnt get around to mailing you back?

to be fair id say they get dozens of mails each day (imagine having 5 or more houses on the go)

I actually live in San Francisco and am 8 hours behind Irish time,

So email is much easier.

EA's should be aware of all the Irish people living around the world that it may not be convenient for them to call.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

S_ean_m wrote: »

I was thinking about it but didn't in the end . If you're talking about Darndale it wouldn't really be that close and the way the area is laid out there should only be people who live there coming and going

Traffic is a nightmare around that area though and bus routes very busy

• Registered Users Posts: 5 S_ean_m

CarMc wrote: »
    Not sure if this thread is about the same development as it's 2 years old but might be worth a look:

It is but was hoping for some more recent updates

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭goingagain

When we were selling and trading up, South Dublin in the last few months. The estate agent told me his job was not just to sell my house but support me in every way to find a new house. And that’s what he did. House came up that fit our requirements, he brought us to view before it went on market, we offered what the sellers wanted and got it before anyone else even seen it.

I would look at what estate agent has the majority of the type of houses you’re interested in and develop a relationship with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭dia squish

Any thoughts on how much it would cost (roughly) to fix up a place like this? I know it would vary hugely depending on what you want, but a minimum?

Advertisement