Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sons of Anarchy or Prison Break ?

• 23-02-2021 7:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,861 ✭✭✭✭

Just got Star on Disney Plus and heard both of these are highly rated, so which would be best to start bingeing?

I've also yet to see Lost... though maybe that's one for later

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭grizzcol2

Sons all day long

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Prison break is pure escapist sillyness from the beginning while SOA is probably the better show overall.
    But, there are a few really cheesey Irish plot elements that ruin the shows more serious tone for me and made me give up on it.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,861 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Prison break is pure escapist sillyness from the beginning while SOA is probably the better show overall.
    But, there are a few really cheesey Irish plot elements that ruin the shows more serious tone for me and made me give up on it.

Ah well I just stuck through all 10 seasons of Walking Dead after bingeing since December so I can overlook a few dodgy elements :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭10pennymixup

Same here, the "Oirish" thing put me right off and I gave up on it.

The terrible accents, sets that were supposed to be in Ireland but were clearly American. And how ridiculous were the shots of some real Irish bikers cruising around Ireland pretending to be the characters off the show but conveniently never taking off their helmets?

Did the SOA cast ever come to Ireland??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭peter4918

For me SOA is the better show overall but does go off the rails a bit. The first season of Prison Break I think is absolute great TV and well worth a watch on its own without going on to watch the other seasons

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,480 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Prison break has one good season and that's the first one.

SOA is watchable but suffers from some awful writing trying to tie up a story.

Both are a waste of time.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Sons all day long, it's about a season or 2 too long with too much focus on 1 particular character for too much of it but still 1 of the best TV shows of all time in my opinion.

The first season of Prison Break is probably some of the best TV ever made but it lost it's way when it went on for too long in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,025 ✭✭✭duffman13

Prison break season 1 is up there with my favourite shows of all time, goes a bit mad after that but it's good escapism.

Sons I enjoyed, dark in places but goes downhill quickly towards the end.

I'd go prison break first

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

Both are fcukin shìt

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭johng906

SOA, but skip the Ireland season (S3 I think)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

Season 1 of Prison Break was very very entertaining TV at the time. I watched the original 4 seasons, and when season 5 came back a decade later I tried that, but it was like a caricature an already cartoonish plot. Nonsense.

SOA, sigh, the Belfast season deserves all the stick it gets. Cringe. Cringe. Cringe. Again, I watched it all. Its as far fetched as prison break is, but it thinks its not.

I'd vote prison break

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Notdeco

SOA is the better show over all.
    Prison Break is good only made better by the character T-Bag

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭spurshero

Prison break was good tv espically season 1 . Got a bit far fetched in later seasons but if nothing else watch season one at least

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,986 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

SOA by an absolute mile and its not even great, it is good but not a must watch.

Prison break is absolute nonsense from the start and goes downhill somehow, which is about its only impressive achievement.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Actually, thinking about it again Op, depends on what you're looking for in a TV show, you mentioned that you're just coming out of 10 series of TWD so having a "Previously On...." type show where you've to keep some kind of eye on things might be hard going to get straight into the Sons, Prison Break by and large brings you through everything, you don't need to use your brain whereas the Sons has a bit more "drama" behind it where you've to keep an eye on a few different sub plots.

Prison Break is probably an easier watch, Sons is probably a better watch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,485 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

They both started well but PB bringing back dead characters was too much imho so SOA for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,203 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Prison break had a good season, spread over the entire series and half of that was the first season.

Sons starts really well, then drops off, then recovers a little, till finally by the end you just watching in the hope that everyone dies tbh

So yeah, either or.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

were these not shown on terrestrial TV before, channel 5?

fryup wrote: »

Prison Break was on RTÉ/Network 2 a day or 2 after the states I think, back in the day we used to be fairly up to date with the US stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭17togo

mrcheez wrote: »
    Just got Star on Disney Plus and heard both of these are highly rated, so which would be best to start bingeing?

I've also yet to see Lost... though maybe that's one for later

Whatever you do.... Stay the **** away from Lost.... I'm still pissed off i stuck with it to the end!

As with prison break and SOA, PB is a brain dead watch. Not much thinking involved. After the first couple of season it kinda gets stupid.

SOA I though was OK, the acting was kinda **** I thought, and I only stuck with it for about 4 seasons. But other people I know love it.

So to sum up, don't watch lost! ðŸ˜

• Advertisement

I accept that.

Season 3 of SOA, some of it set in Belfast and will make you want to smash your TV, but stick with it season 4 returns to normal and is excellent. It goes on to become a soap opera in the end but it's not a bad watch.

OK.. so I'll do Season 1 of Prison Break first

Then onto SOA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,554 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Watch the first season of Prison Break and leave it at that.That first season is excellent and then it goes completely to crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

The Unit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,485 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Both were shown on RTE 2

• Registered Users Posts: 4,304 ✭✭✭munster87

I really do think that the Irish season of SOA is the worst thing I’ve ever watched!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,210 ✭✭✭✭Penn

munster87 wrote: »
    I really do think that the Irish season of SOA is the worst thing I’ve ever watched!

There's a good start to the season, and the ending of that season is one of the best SOA moments. But yeah season 3 as a whole was an absolute sh*tfest. They pulled it back with seasons 4 and 5 which were great, but after that the show became a complete shambles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

soap opera in the end but it's not a bad watch.

This sums it up perfectly for me. The way Jax walks is stupendous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,210 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I actually think a lot of Season 2 of Prison Break was pretty good. William Fichtner was a great addition. But you could definitely see it start to go downhill pretty rapidly too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,814 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Iv a very close friend who's lived in the states the past 15 years ,
    Any way I was over at his wedding a good few years back when SOA was at its peak and we where chatting about it ,
    Like all of us he hated season 3 in Belfast but turns out all his American friends absolutely loved it,

Even on Metacritic ratings per season its the second highest rated season of the 7 , it got a 84 just behind season two which got 86 ,

I guess its a case of ignorance is bliss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Both were shown on RTE 2

so what's the big deal about star then if half the stuff they're showing was already screened on terrestrial telly?

so what's the big deal about star then if half the stuff they're showing was already screened on terrestrial telly?

Handy for those who haven't seen em I guess :pac:

The XFiles are on there too, which I religiously watched so gonna have to rewatch them again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

They should do an extra season of both shows but combine them. Prison break anarchy, have all of the prisoners on motorbikes, revving up their hogs in the cell 24/7, doing hog wheelies/burn outs in the yard. It would be amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭stronglikebull

Penn wrote: »
    I actually think a lot of Season 2 of Prison Break was pretty good. William Fichtner was a great addition. But you could definitely see it start to go downhill pretty rapidly too.

I agree, season 2 wasn't terrible at all. Fitcher was a great addition, though I always thought they could have done more with him. I might go and watch season 1 and 2 of this again now that it's streamable.

Season 3 was crap, and 4 was just dire nonsense. Stop at the end of 2 if you're watching it.

I just finished re-watching SOA on Netflix after Christmas. I had watched it when it originally aired, and had forgotten how monotonous and stupid the story got in the middle. In the end, it went about 2 seasons too long, and as someone else said, you're just waiting for everyone to die. Still enjoyable, and I'd recommend it if you've got 7x13x1hour free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Sons...

Prison Break starts well but descends into complete nonsense.

Almost completed Prison Break season 1... enjoying it so far.

It started slow, but by the mid-season it's quite engaging and has me doing the "just one more episode" thing

Thinking about my little-toe still sends shivers up my spine...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭De Bhál

just watch first two seasons of each - that'd be enough. You ain't missing anything not seeing the rest.
    SOA has a spell in Ireland that would hurt you.

• Administrators Posts: 54,089 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I would watch Prison Break season 1 and then forget about the rest.

Sons of Anarchy is cringeworthy soap opera mediocrity IMHO.

awec wrote: »
    Sons of Anarchy is cringeworthy soap opera mediocrity IMHO.

People warned me off Walking Dead but I enjoyed all 11 seasons (up until the point Angela Kang ruined it) so I seem to have a tolerance where others give up :D

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,089 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

People warned me off Walking Dead but I enjoyed all 11 seasons (up until the point Angela Kang ruined it) so I seem to have a tolerance where others give up :D

A lot of people like it. I was surprised at just how bad I thought it was. No redeeming qualities!

But that's just me! :D

PB season 1 is at least tolerable, even if Wentworth Miller has all the charisma of a bag of soil. PB season 2 is actually watchable, but that's where it ends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,804 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Season 1 of Prison Break was something else. Absolutely thrilling television. Pure ****e afterwards.

SOA wasn't exactly stellar but I enjoyed it all the same, though the Irish accents scattered throughout the series were chronic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,480 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Do yourself a favour OP and get started on "Better Call Saul" - Finest bit of TV since Breaking Bad...and arguably better.

To me it's a masterpiece.

Do yourself a favour OP and get started on "Better Call Saul" - Finest bit of TV since Breaking Bad...and arguably better.

Ah I'm trying to maximise my Disney Plus sub... Kodi just isn't as reliable.

Had a hell of a time while watching Walking Dead, sometimes streams would be great, other times just constantly buffering

It's nice to be able to play series by just telling Alexa to play whatever... so Disney Plus is working nicely for bingeing at the mo

While I personally would agree with you, I'd wager most wouldn't.

It is very slow paced. I love it. Really enjoyed it, could be my favourite tv show. But, I think you'd wanna be really into it. It got better and better as the seasons went on and the Chuck story resolved itself.

And yes, it's better than BB to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Mules

I've never seen soa I loved prison break though.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Ffff221

Prison break season one is one of the best seasons off all time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Give season 2 of prison break a watch. I am at the moment and you'll like it. Still ok. Sure might not be the amazing first season but enjoyment to be had. After season 2 is were it goes down hill.

I'm on episode 10 of Season 1... it's actually getting better with each episode

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I'm on episode 10 of Season 1... it's actually getting better with each episode

I know :)
    It's one of those shows where you question how come you be never watched it until now cause it's that good.

• Advertisement
Advertisement