Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sons of Anarchy or Prison Break ?

• 23-02-2021 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,617 ✭✭✭✭

Just got Star on Disney Plus and heard both of these are highly rated, so which would be best to start bingeing?

I've also yet to see Lost... though maybe that's one for later

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭grizzcol2

Sons all day long

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Prison break is pure escapist sillyness from the beginning while SOA is probably the better show overall.
    But, there are a few really cheesey Irish plot elements that ruin the shows more serious tone for me and made me give up on it.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 13,617 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Prison break is pure escapist sillyness from the beginning while SOA is probably the better show overall.
    But, there are a few really cheesey Irish plot elements that ruin the shows more serious tone for me and made me give up on it.

Ah well I just stuck through all 10 seasons of Walking Dead after bingeing since December so I can overlook a few dodgy elements :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭10pennymixup

Same here, the "Oirish" thing put me right off and I gave up on it.

The terrible accents, sets that were supposed to be in Ireland but were clearly American. And how ridiculous were the shots of some real Irish bikers cruising around Ireland pretending to be the characters off the show but conveniently never taking off their helmets?

Did the SOA cast ever come to Ireland??

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭peter4918

For me SOA is the better show overall but does go off the rails a bit. The first season of Prison Break I think is absolute great TV and well worth a watch on its own without going on to watch the other seasons

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,382 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Prison break has one good season and that's the first one.

SOA is watchable but suffers from some awful writing trying to tie up a story.

Both are a waste of time.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Sons all day long, it's about a season or 2 too long with too much focus on 1 particular character for too much of it but still 1 of the best TV shows of all time in my opinion.

The first season of Prison Break is probably some of the best TV ever made but it lost it's way when it went on for too long in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

Prison break season 1 is up there with my favourite shows of all time, goes a bit mad after that but it's good escapism.

Sons I enjoyed, dark in places but goes downhill quickly towards the end.

I'd go prison break first

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

Both are fcukin shìt

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭johng906

SOA, but skip the Ireland season (S3 I think)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

Season 1 of Prison Break was very very entertaining TV at the time. I watched the original 4 seasons, and when season 5 came back a decade later I tried that, but it was like a caricature an already cartoonish plot. Nonsense.

SOA, sigh, the Belfast season deserves all the stick it gets. Cringe. Cringe. Cringe. Again, I watched it all. Its as far fetched as prison break is, but it thinks its not.

I'd vote prison break

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Notdeco

SOA is the better show over all.
    Prison Break is good only made better by the character T-Bag

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭spurshero

Prison break was good tv espically season 1 . Got a bit far fetched in later seasons but if nothing else watch season one at least

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

SOA by an absolute mile and its not even great, it is good but not a must watch.

Prison break is absolute nonsense from the start and goes downhill somehow, which is about its only impressive achievement.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Actually, thinking about it again Op, depends on what you're looking for in a TV show, you mentioned that you're just coming out of 10 series of TWD so having a "Previously On...." type show where you've to keep some kind of eye on things might be hard going to get straight into the Sons, Prison Break by and large brings you through everything, you don't need to use your brain whereas the Sons has a bit more "drama" behind it where you've to keep an eye on a few different sub plots.

Prison Break is probably an easier watch, Sons is probably a better watch

• Registered Users Posts: 84,914 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

They both started well but PB bringing back dead characters was too much imho so SOA for me

• Registered Users Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Prison break had a good season, spread over the entire series and half of that was the first season.

Sons starts really well, then drops off, then recovers a little, till finally by the end you just watching in the hope that everyone dies tbh

So yeah, either or.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

were these not shown on terrestrial TV before, channel 5?

fryup wrote: »

Prison Break was on RTÉ/Network 2 a day or 2 after the states I think, back in the day we used to be fairly up to date with the US stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭17togo

mrcheez wrote: »
    Just got Star on Disney Plus and heard both of these are highly rated, so which would be best to start bingeing?

I've also yet to see Lost... though maybe that's one for later

Whatever you do.... Stay the **** away from Lost.... I'm still pissed off i stuck with it to the end!

As with prison break and SOA, PB is a brain dead watch. Not much thinking involved. After the first couple of season it kinda gets stupid.

SOA I though was OK, the acting was kinda **** I thought, and I only stuck with it for about 4 seasons. But other people I know love it.

So to sum up, don't watch lost! ðŸ˜

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

I accept that.

Season 3 of SOA, some of it set in Belfast and will make you want to smash your TV, but stick with it season 4 returns to normal and is excellent. It goes on to become a soap opera in the end but it's not a bad watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,617 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

OK.. so I'll do Season 1 of Prison Break first

Then onto SOA

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Watch the first season of Prison Break and leave it at that.That first season is excellent and then it goes completely to crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

The Unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,914 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

fryup wrote: »

Both were shown on RTE 2

• Registered Users Posts: 4,228 ✭✭✭munster87

I really do think that the Irish season of SOA is the worst thing I’ve ever watched!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,215 ✭✭✭✭Penn

munster87 wrote: »
    I really do think that the Irish season of SOA is the worst thing I’ve ever watched!

There's a good start to the season, and the ending of that season is one of the best SOA moments. But yeah season 3 as a whole was an absolute sh*tfest. They pulled it back with seasons 4 and 5 which were great, but after that the show became a complete shambles.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,899 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

soap opera in the end but it's not a bad watch.

This sums it up perfectly for me. The way Jax walks is stupendous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,215 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I actually think a lot of Season 2 of Prison Break was pretty good. William Fichtner was a great addition. But you could definitely see it start to go downhill pretty rapidly too.

Advertisement