Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Midleton Very Rare

• 20-02-2021 12:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,036 ✭✭✭

Given the hype over MVR 20, and the continued hype over '21.
    I thought it might need it's own thread. (,Mods delete if necessary)

Anyway,.. I'm both a drinker & collector.

Luckily I've managed to bag a few bottles for both myself and my children.

I'll definitely open one soon enough.

But I found it more difficult this year to buy them than any other year.

For those that didn't get a bottle today, the number of bottles being released will be similar to that of 2018/19. There'll be lots to go around.

Check out your local Tesco/dunnes/ SuperValu, from Monday onwards.

There will be more demand, due to the volume of new collectors & speculators, but if u want one, you'll get one.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Probably won't hurt to just have a general thread on MVR.

Dunnes will have a bit over 300 bottles in this batch. Split between all stores that are listed for it, most will have between one and five allocated by head office. Store managers and staff have already called dibs and I doubt much of this batch will even make it out to the shop floor. Another bigger batch due in July and again in October so hopefully most people will be sorted then.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,741 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I've always liked MVR as a whiskey but always thought it just wasn't worth the money - and that's when it was €120!

It seems if you want to sell more overpriced whiskey, then the trick is to increase the price, it seems.

Then the more it sells for on the aftermarket, the more people want it and will pay for it! I guess, I just don't understand people.

Also, for the collectors, how many people actually sell them on?
    If you aren't going to drink them or sell them, what's the point?

I just don't get this whiskey collecting lark, I guess, unless it's actually for well thought out investment.

My brother has bottles that I know he will never sell or drink. It may as well be tea in the bottles!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,036 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Dunnes will have a bit over 300 bottles in this batch. Split between all stores that are listed for it, most will have between one and five allocated by head office. Store managers and staff have already called dibs and I doubt much of this batch will even make it out to the shop floor. Another bigger batch due in July and again in October so hopefully most people will be sorted then.

I presume that's 300 now, and probably another 300 in Oct/Nov.

In any normal year would Dunnes sell that many MVR

mikeecho wrote: »
    I presume that's 300 now, and probably another 300 in Oct/Nov.

In any normal year would Dunnes sell that many MVR

I've been told over 300 now, 500 odd in July. My store sold 80ish last year, but it's one of the bigger stores. Last year was exceptional though, a lot of people who were chasing the 2020 were not whiskey collectors, it somehow took hold in the general population for lack of a better term. So far it looks like the same this time around. Nearly every time the phone rings now its someone looking for mvr or looking to be put on a list. We aren't doing lists, it'll be first come first served. This morning one of the security guys was imploring me to put one away for one of the local gardai. It's all a bit mental to be honest.

• Advertisement

I've been told over 300 now, 500 odd in July. My store sold 80ish last year, but it's one of the bigger stores. Last year was exceptional though, a lot of people who were chasing the 2020 were not whiskey collectors, it somehow took hold in the general population for lack of a better term. So far it looks like the same this time around. Nearly every time the phone rings now its someone looking for mvr or looking to be put on a list. We aren't doing lists, it'll be first come first served. This morning one of the security guys was imploring me to put one away for one of the local gardai. It's all a bit mental to be honest.

It's a bit bananas alright, I always buy two bottles, one to drink and one to keep.
    In any normal year I could walk into a supermarket or offie and pick up a bottle with no issue, and even get the previous years bottle as well.

I've been very fortunate with getting 2020's and 2021's

The early bird, and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Leinster90

Any idea when these will be hitting the shelves in Dunnes, Tesco etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

A lot of people are using the 'well I'm not going the pub' excuse. My own collection had dwindled to nothing over the last while and I think it was Feb last year when I polished off the last of anything decent I had but over the last couple of months I've replenished using that very excuse. That coupled with the hype around inflated auction prices have led to the mad demand. Myself, not sure I'm arsed with it but if I've cash on the hip when the next batch lands I might pull the trigger, purely because I think it'll look nice in the press

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Leinster90 wrote: »
    Any idea when these will be hitting the shelves in Dunnes, Tesco etc?

Little chance of it even making the shelves tbh, my oh was in Tesco on Friday and while she was waiting on the bottle of XO to be brought out there were people there asking about the MVR, the lad working on the section said he's been asked for little else the last 10 days. Plenty of Proper 12 there though :pac:

Little chance of it even making the shelves tbh

You are dead right there, I still don't know how much my store is getting but whatever we get is already spoken for by people above me. None of this batch is likely to actually go out on sale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Psychlops

Any idea on Galway Stores? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

I was surprised by how much my bottle of the 2003 is now apparently worth.

I assume, unlike wine, there is no particular year where the whiskey is better than previous years? A whiskey 'vintage year' I suppose...

Doodah7 wrote: »

I assume, unlike wine, there is no particular year where the whiskey is better than previous years? A whiskey 'vintage year' I suppose...

The MVR is a different blend every year.
    The past two years have been very heavy with the pot still, and this year it's a lot more grain.

So, yes, there are years where the whiskey is better than others.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

There will be years the grain crop will be poor and the subsequent whiskey won't be as good, but a distiller has the advantage of being able to blend with other years. MVR however is a different blend every year, so there's every chance one year's release is better than anothers. As alluded to in other threads though, the value is usually based on rarity.

Its a beautiful whiskey but the difference between it and say a redbreast 15 would be negligible for me personally, and that sells for sixty quid less a bottle at a quick search

Just got confirmation of the amount of midleton that my store will be getting. A dozen bottles split over this week and next week. All are already spoken for. Sorry folks, the July batch is going to be your best bet now. It will be bigger as apparently this release is 15% of the total batch.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

12 bottles in the March Celtic Whiskey Auction. Do shops hold these back for this, or do they sell them knowing they'll get a load immediately to sell on these?

Weepsie wrote: »
    12 bottles in the March Celtic Whiskey Auction. Do shops hold these back for this, or do they sell them knowing they'll get a load immediately to sell on these?

It'll be interesting to see what some people will pay.

I paid €220 for one of my bottles, and €180 for the rest. I didn't really like paying the extra €40, but needs must.

I'm just happy that I have what I need, (and maybe a spare)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Is there any point putting my 2021 bottle into the Celtic auction, with the view to replacing it when the next batch comes out in the Summer?
    Or is there a bit of a bubble, and they won't sell for that much in the auction?
    Just looking to be able to make a small profit to put back into whiskey I'll drink. Not really into the whole collecting thing.

Effects wrote: »
    Is there any point putting my 2021 bottle into the Celtic auction, with the view to replacing it when the next batch comes out in the Summer?
    Or is there a bit of a bubble, and they won't sell for that much in the auction?
    Just looking to be able to make a small profit to put back into whiskey I'll drink. Not really into the whole collecting thing.

After auction fees etc.. you'll be at a loss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 Tuamer

Psychlops wrote: »
    Any idea on Galway Stores? Thanks.
    My mother picked up a bottle in Dunnes Terryland yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭interlocked

Great interview yesterday in the Business Post with Kevin O Gorman, the new master distiller in Middleton. He started his career in Baileys in 1990 where he developed a interest in whiskey and he moved to Midleton in 1998 as a distiller, he became master of maturation in 2007

A lot of discussion about the Middleton 2021, he said they tested about two hundred barrels for the blend,mixture of pot still and grain still with whiskey aged from 15 to 36 years, he included some 1984 vintage as a tribute to Barry Crockett. He put four prototypes together before settling on the final blend.

Barry Nation left the job last year to join a startup distillery in the US. (What could they have offered him!)

He also says that he's interested in developing and experimenting the Method & Madness micro distillery

But the most amazing stat was that they now have 1.7 million casks maturing in Midleton on a site of about 120 acres. I can't get my head around that volume of whiskey at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

I was lucky enough to see some of the warehouses storing the maturing whiskey several years ago. It is an amazing sight: several enormous warehouses filled with row after row and shelf after shelf from floor to high ceiling of American bourbon barrels filled with whiskey!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Doodah7 wrote:
    I was lucky enough to see some of the warehouses storing the maturing whiskey several years ago. It is an amazing sight: several enormous warehouses filled with row after row and shelf after shelf from floor to high ceiling of American bourbon barrels filled with whiskey!!

I'd say it's like the end of Indiana Jones when they are storing away the Ark of the covenant.

Me, too. One of them is a sight to behold and they've loads of these warehouses - and have built more since I was there 8 or 10 years ago.
    It really is staggering.
    Also got to taste something directly from a cask that I was told was a cask strength Middleton blend but no one seemed really sure what it was. I think the cask had been prepared for some previous press event or something.
    I have never to this day tasted a whiskey like it - it seemed way more interesting to Middleton to me.
    It is entirely possible that my perception was heavily influenced by the location of the old cask house and the taking straight from the barrel but I also got to bring a little bottle home and was also blown away by it.
    I couldn't understand why the commercially released Middleton isn't more like this whiskey!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Great interview yesterday in the Business Post with Kevin O Gorman, the new master distiller in Middleton. He started his career in Baileys in 1990 where he developed a interest in whiskey and he moved to Midleton in 1998 as a distiller, he became master of maturation in 2007

A lot of discussion about the Middleton 2021, he said they tested about two hundred barrels for the blend,mixture of pot still and grain still with whiskey aged from 15 to 36 years, he included some 1984 vintage as a tribute to Barry Crockett. He put four prototypes together before settling on the final blend.

Barry Nation left the job last year to join a startup distillery in the US. (What could they have offered him!)

He also says that he's interested in developing and experimenting the Method & Madness micro distillery

But the most amazing stat was that they now have 1.7 million casks maturing in Midleton on a site of about 120 acres. I can't get my head around that volume of whiskey at all!

Are we talking 200L casks? Obviously there's some variance throughout.

But even taking that as a back of a napkin:

That's 340 million litres of whiskey; which, if we take it down to your typical large bottle: that's 485,714,285 bottles!

So even at a euro a bottle there's almost half a billion quid there in stock, for pig irons sake.

F**k Apple and Tesla. (Obviously I ignored, breakage, angel shares and those wonderful box sets in the making of my numbers)

(Obviously I ignored, breakage, angel shares and those wonderful box sets in the making of my numbers)

You didn't allow for the fact that it is mostly stored at around 60%, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

You didn't allow for the fact that it is mostly stored at around 60%, too.

I didn't at all.:D

Still, good money for old rope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,792 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I got an email earlier today than Celtic Whiskey Shop were selling some stock of the 2019 - priced €250.
    Out of curiosity I checked the site now and it's sold out.
    So still a lot of interest there.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Advertisement