Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Will the Rovers ever Return? Your pub megathread, Part 2 - threadbans in OP

• 22-02-2021 11:29pm
    Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,285 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Thread 1 - Opening of "No-Food" pubs pushed out again

Wet or dry - the choice is yours, but both are currently closed

Threadbans:

Deleted User
    Post edited by Beasty on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

hb-i-miss-pints-bk.jpg

• I sank a wet pint in a dry pub once, looking forward to the next sup when those doors swing open again. As Tony fades into irrelevance by the summer, he can take his redundant jargon with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Who wants to write a poem about the pubs? Some fella I’m not sure was it on this thread or the relaxation but it one of the funniest things I’ve ever read. It was like synopsis of his local pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

I sank a wet pint in a dry pub once, looking forward to the next sup when those doors swing open again. As Tony fades into irrelevance by the summer, he can take his redundant jargon with him.

As usual you will be completely mistaken. No chance whatsoever that wet pubs will open in the summer. Deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,758 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Let's hope they return sooner rather than later and without the food and time limit stuff. Not overly confident esp with the way the industry is viewed at this moment in time by health and government officials

If i want a big feed i'll get it, if i only want a few pints i'll get it and stay for as long as i wish (obv within the opening hours)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Let's hope they return sooner rather than later and without the food and time limit stuff. Not overly confident esp with the way the industry is viewed at this moment in time by health and government officials

If i want a big feed i'll get it, if i only want a few pints i'll get it and stay for as long as i wish (obv within the opening hours)

Wet pubs will not reopen before September at the earliest and even if they do time limits and social distancing measures will be in place. Simple as that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 353 ✭✭discodiva92

PTH2009 wrote: »

Brothers is in the trade.
    Happy to do anywhatever rules but a year on is sick of being closed when you see towns packed

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

As usual you will be completely mistaken. No chance whatsoever that wet pubs will open in the summer. Deal with it.

I think that's a little bit pessimistic. I think we will start to see restaurants, and pubs open in June, for food or outdoor service only. Niteclubs on the other hand, hard to see when they'll be back. No loss, though tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭Polar101

Hi, I'm in Dublin. What is this "pub" you speak of? I remember some old stories about people gathering indoors and drinking alcohol, but I'm not sure if it was just a myth.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I would like to lobby that the phrase 'Wet Pub' is banned from the lexicon forever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭UI_Paddy

Polar101 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm in Dublin. What is this "pub" you speak of? I remember some old stories about people gathering indoors and drinking alcohol, but I'm not sure if it was just a myth.

Indeed these pubs were real, always packed in the city centre, especially in the evening and at weekends. They were a part of what was Dublin in the rare Auld Times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Was walking around Dublin City this weekend. Its eerily quiet and so sad to see all these so called wet pubs shut up. I really can't wait for the day we can go into a nice pint of plain in theses so called wet pubs.. A dream

• Registered Users Posts: 15,199 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Wet pubs will not reopen before September at the earliest and even if they do time limits and social distancing measures will be in place. Simple as that.

As is your opinion and your entitled to it, but it's not fact so it's not "simple as that". You can't speak in the definitive with an opinion.

All we can do is see what happens come summer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

I suspect that time line is correct. I know a Bar Manager of a well known wet pub in Dublin city centre.

He's targeting a return for late August/September. He personally thinks there is very little chance of opening before then.

But of course he could be wrong. We'll have to see how the next few months pan out

• Registered Users Posts: 19,923 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I think that's a little bit pessimistic. I think we will start to see restaurants, and pubs open in June, for food or outdoor service only. Niteclubs on the other hand, hard to see when they'll be back. No loss, though tbh.

Nightclubs are no loss to you (and me, for that matter) but that’s hardly the point. They’re important to other people.

I really wonder where people pull the months from. Where did you pull June from?

I don’t know when we’ll have these things back. But the uk is going to provide an excellent test case for us. They’re way ahead with the vaccination and reopening so we can see how they get on. As long as we can get most people vaccinating the time the weather cools (not very likely but the EU secured more vaccine supply last week so we’ll have to wait and see ) then we can just learn from what the uk does

Ultimately we’ll have to wait and see. Wait and see how the uk does and wait and see how our vaccine rollout goes.

I would like to lobby that the phrase 'Wet Pub' is banned from the lexicon forever.

Did we ever get to the bottom of why that term makes people so cross?

Seeing as it’s a term coined by the drink industry I suppose you’ll need to start by asking them why they use it and then asking them to stop using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

ShyMets wrote: »
    I suspect that time line is correct. I know a Bar Manager of a well known wet pub in Dublin city centre.

He's targeting a return for late August/September. He personally thinks there is very little chance of opening before then.

But of course he could be wrong. We'll have to see how the next few months pan out
    I'd take it at this stage. Pressure from UK reopening could lead to an earlier reopening, who knows :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Seeing as it’s a term coined by the drink industry I suppose you’ll need to start by asking them why they use it and then asking them to stop using it.

It was first coined by joe duffy afaik , I hate the term, non-food pubs are what I continue to call them , but only because ‘good pubs’ wouldnt provide much clarity to many

It was first coined by joe duffy afaik , I hate the term, non-food pubs are what I continue to call them , but only because ‘good pubs’ wouldnt provide much clarity to many

Joe Duffy would be thrilled by your faith in his influence. But it’s been an industry term for decades.

Did we ever future out why it makes people so cross through?

I suppose there is some negative connotations attached to the phrase, with "wet markets" in Wuhan being seen as responsible for the pandemic. Maybe that's delving into the realm of conspiracy theories though :D

Personally, I think they should just distinguish regular pubs from food pubs by using the phrases "pubs" and "gastro pubs", respectively.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,683 ✭✭✭hynesie08

It's just a ridiculous term that the government clearly weaponised to create an image of a conveyer belt of drunkenness. Is there a dry pub? Perhaps a malthouse?

A new thread, but the same old guff. Do you have inside information? Or can the rest of us get a loan of that crystal ball. And what's with the aggressive replies, people are entitled to express an opinion on here, just as you are. You know as much as the rest of us on here, which is sweet fcuk all.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,667 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Pubs are gone for good.

The docs are looking at the reduced number of drunken injuries coming thru A&E and the reduced alcohol harm to most of the population, and doing the sums.

Restaurants will be back. That's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,683 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Pubs are gone for good.

The docs are looking at the reduced number of drunken injuries coming thru A&E and the reduced alcohol harm to most of the population, and doing the sums.

That's just not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭enricoh

Pubs are gone for good.

God bless the internet! It's official folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭ mightyreds

Nightclubs are no loss to you (and me, for that matter) but that’s hardly the point. They’re important to other people.

I really wonder where people pull the months from. Where did you pull June from?

I don’t know when we’ll have these things back. But the uk is going to provide an excellent test case for us. They’re way ahead with the vaccination and reopening so we can see how they get on. As long as we can get most people vaccinating the time the weather cools (not very likely but the EU secured more vaccine supply last week so we’ll have to wait and see ) then we can just learn from what the uk does

Ultimately we’ll have to wait and see. Wait and see how the uk does and wait and see how our vaccine rollout goes.

Sorry but wait and see isn't really going to cut it for a lot of business, my sister runs a beauty salon she already owes 5k in rent with only the PUP of 350 coming through the door a week. Luckily she had her rainy day fund but that was wiped in the first 2 closures.

mightyreds wrote: »
    Sorry but wait and see isn't really going to cut it for a lot of business, my sister runs a beauty salon she already owes 5k in rent with only the PUP of 350 coming through the door a week. Luckily she had her rainy day fund but that was wiped in the first 2 closures.

So what should the government do? Pluck some numbers and dates out of the sky? If the uk reopening is a great success, that’s great information. If it’s a disaster, that’s great information too.

The fact is that UK is ahead of us in vaccination and reopening. It would be very stupid to ignore the information from the uk.

So, given the government doesn’t have the information, what should they do except wait and see what the information is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

Pubs are gone for good.

Sure we might as well close the Restaurants as well. It will help in the fight against obesity

• As usual you will be completely mistaken. No chance whatsoever that wet pubs will open in the summer. Deal with it.

Do you work with NPHET/government? More bull coming out of your mouth. Sure if they dont open people will just have drinks in there back gardens or local parks. Or shebeens for some people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Pubs are gone for good.

When the docs are looking at the figures of how much pubs contribute to the tax coffers, much of which ends up in healthcare, and doing the sums on how much now won't be there, they'll be crying for them back.

Advertisement