Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

False rape accusation...who would you believe?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

bubblypop wrote: »
    Well, personally through work I know if 3 women who were charged with making false statements regarding rape or sexual assault, but just from googling ( I am on the phone!) The first page throws up, Regina De Oliveira, Sarah Browne, Kerry Holt, also few northern ones coming up.
    It's really not unusual.

I know of one who made a false allegation and it only came to light because of CCTV on a neighboring property. Nothing happened to her. In fact you would not believe what she works at now. And im not going to say because you would just think i was making it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

JimmyVik wrote: »
    I know of one who made a false allegation and it only came to light because of CCTV on a neighboring property. Nothing happened to her. In fact you would not believe what she works at now. And im not going to say because you would just think i was making it up.

3 guesses:

Garda
    RTE Presenter
    Mens Rights Activist :D

You can't leave us wondering, whether we believe you or not. Spill it.

Stay Free

3 guesses:

Garda
    RTE Presenter
    Mens Rights Activist :D

You can't leave us wondering, whether we believe you or not. Spill it.

You have it among those guesses.

I know a female in one of those professions who made a false allegation of sexual assault against a taxi driver

Oh my. That was my only serious guess and I had hoped it was wrong. God help any man she puts into cuffs. And of course, because no convictions were recorded against her, there was no problem getting into the force.
    I know a female in one of those professions who made a false allegation of sexual assault against a taxi driver

Anything come of it....either side? Bad weather ahead.

Stay Free

• Advertisement

Oh my. That was my only serious guess and I had hoped it was wrong. God help any man she puts into cuffs. And of course, because no convictions were recorded against her, there was no problem getting into the force.

Anything come of it....either side? Bad weather ahead.

What does your first paragraph refer to?

The female in my story, lost her job and was charged.

What does your first paragraph refer to?

I had seriously guessed that the person the other poster was referring to became a Gard. To the best of my knowledge, if you have a conviction, you cannot become a Gard, or if so, it's very unlikely depending on the conviction.

I cringe at the thought of someone becoming a Gard when they have made a false allegation of rape against someone. Is that the type of person we want serving the community?
    The female in my story, lost her job and was charged.

What job was she in and do you know if the charge resulted in a conviction, a custodial sentence, or the usual "please don't be telling lies, now go on your way" story.

Sure, we know Gards aren't immune to lying about such things. https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/garda-made-false-claims-after-row-with-taxi-driver-26478971.html

Stay Free

Here's an interesting one I came across from the north when looking for false allegations against taxi drivers.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/wheelchair-bound-irish-woman-who-12846892

This woman made two false allegations of rape a few years apart. Both times, she was given suspended sentences with no jail time. She has a history of making other false claims to police, but they still arrested her latest victim and turned his life upside down.

If the man had so much as farted in that womans direction, he would have been jailed. Seems very unfair she keeps getting away with these crimes.

Stay Free

I had seriously guessed that the person the other poster was referring to became a Gard. To the best of my knowledge, if you have a conviction, you cannot become a Gard, or if so, it's very unlikely depending on the conviction.

I cringe at the thought of someone becoming a Gard when they have made a false allegation of rape against someone. Is that the type of person we want serving the community?

This is just all in your head. Who is becoming a Guard after making false allegations? No-one that's who.

You can protest at much as you like that women who make false allegations are not prosecuted, but they clearly are.
    Now, if you have an issue with the penalty given to them, that's a judges decision.

This is just all in your head. Who is becoming a Guard after making false allegations? No-one that's who.

You can protest at much as you like that women who make false allegations are not prosecuted, but they clearly are.
    Now, if you have an issue with the penalty given to them, that's a judges decision.

You seem to have in your head that a conviction with no time served is justice done, next case please. If a suspended sentence is all that's given when a woman is found guilty of falsely accusing a man, potentially ruining his life, well excuse me when I imply the woman got off with no punishment.

Would you support a suspended sentence for a convicted rapist too? If a conviction is punishment enough, then it's very little deterrent against crime. If women knew they would get jail time for making a false allegation, I can tell you that they would be rare indeed. Men get harsher sentences for identical crimes where women often get no time at all in prison. It's backwards, sexist and inherently unfair. I get the impression you are fine with that though.

I really would not be surprised if women with convictions were being accepted into the force....not when the conviction was in relation to a false allegation. There is a push to get more women into certain jobs and a little suspended sentence is not going to get in the way of that, is it?

Stay Free

• Advertisement

You seem to have in your head that a conviction with no time served is justice done, next case please. If a suspended sentence is all that's given when a woman is found guilty of falsely accusing a man, potentially ruining his life, well excuse me when I imply the woman got off with no punishment.

Would you support a suspended sentence for a convicted rapist too? If a conviction is punishment enough, then it's very little deterrent against crime. If women knew they would get jail time for making a false allegation, I can tell you that they would be rare indeed. Men get harsher sentences for identical crimes where women often get no time at all in prison. It's backwards, sexist and inherently unfair. I get the impression you are fine with that though.

I really would not be surprised if women with convictions were being accepted into the force....not when the conviction was in relation to a false allegation. There is a push to get more women into certain jobs and a little suspended sentence is not going to get in the way of that, is it?

You're showing your true colours here now.

You're showing your true colours here now.

I would hope so, considering i'm not trying to hide them. Some of us believe in fairness and justice based not on what's between our legs, but on the crimes committed and the harm done. Others seem to believe women should be given a get out of jail free card based on some twisted notion that it would be bad for society to give them a custodial sentence.

I see you dodged my question. Very telling.

Stay Free

I am fair and honest and I don't care for 'what is between people's legs' pretty disgusting way of talking about people tbh.

I don't support any kind of sentences, that's for a judge to decide and the DPP to appeal if the sentence is too lenient.

Do people actually believe there are no accusers who get off scott free.
    Charges dropped and off they go on their merry way.
    Come on now.

I am fair and honest and I don't care for 'what is between people's legs' pretty disgusting way of talking about people tbh.

I don't support any kind of sentences, that's for a judge to decide and the DPP to appeal if the sentence is too lenient.

I get the impression that you work in womens services in some fashion and so I find it hard to believe that you are not biased and by extension, in this context, not fair. This is reinforced when you imply that a conviction with no time served for false rape allegations is just. If you take issue to veiled references of genitals, sorry, but that's not my problem and it's far from disgusting.

You say you don't support any kind of sentences. It might be bold of me to say, but that's exactly what I expected your answer to be if you were to have provided one. It shows a level of comfort with the current bias against women serving custodial sentences, or indeed receiving any punishment for wrecking lives with malicious lies. Defaulting to the position of "that's for a judge to decide and the DPP to appeal". I can't find the supporting article now, but judges are being told to avoid handing out custodial sentences to women found guilty of reporting and pursuing malicious false rape allegations. Don't get me started on the DPP. What a joke.

Stay Free

I get the impression that you work in womens services in some fashion and so I find it hard to believe that you are not biased and by extension, in this context, not fair. This is reinforced when you imply that a conviction with no time served for false rape allegations is just. If you take issue to veiled references of genitals, sorry, but that's not my problem and it's far from disgusting.

You say you don't support any kind of sentences. It might be bold of me to say, but that's exactly what I expected your answer to be if you were to have provided one. It shows a level of comfort with the current bias against women serving custodial sentences, or indeed receiving any punishment for wrecking lives with malicious lies. Defaulting to the position of "that's for a judge to decide and the DPP to appeal". I can't find the supporting article now, but judges are being told to avoid handing out custodial sentences to women found guilty of reporting and pursuing malicious false rape allegations. Don't get me started on the DPP. What a joke.

I most certainly do not work in any kind of womens services and you are showing your bias in your posting.

speaking about people just by 'what is between their legs' and not actual people is disgusting and shows what little regard you have for any persons.

FYI, I have no sympathy and I would bet even less than you, when it comes to people making any kind of false allegations.

you have no respect for law or the judiciary, which is where you and I wildly differ.

Do people actually believe there are no accusers who get off scott free.
    Charges dropped and off they go on their merry way.
    Come on now.

of course there are!

There are many crimes committed where people are not held accountable.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Well, personally through work I know if 3 women who were charged with making false statements regarding rape or sexual assault, but just from googling ( I am on the phone!) The first page throws up, Regina De Oliveira, Sarah Browne, Kerry Holt, also few northern ones coming up.
    It's really not unusual.

It's very uncommon though and apparently in the UK they need the accuser to explicitly state it was a false accusation. It matters very little if an investigation shows it's doubtful a rape occurred, when the very person pointing the finger isn't taking it back, and seldom accountable.

I most certainly do not work in any kind of womens services and you are showing your bias in your posting.

speaking about people just by 'what is between their legs' and not actual people is disgusting and shows what little regard you have for any persons.

FYI, I have no sympathy and I would bet even less than you, when it comes to people making any kind of false allegations.

you have no respect for law or the judiciary, which is where you and I wildly differ.

Getting rather defensive there. Have I hit a nerve somewhere?

You said that you knew of 3 women through work who made false allegations, so it's not exactly a far stretch to suggest that you work in womens services, is it?

Would you rather I was more specific and said that a person with a vagina is very unlikely to be punished for ruining the life of a person with a penis? My point was gender/sex based, so why do you have such a problem with me pointing that out that the genitals between ones legs clearly makes a difference when it comes to justice and custodial sentences?

I didn't suggest you had sympathy. I suggested you were bias, based on my unconfirmed belief that you work/worked in womens services in some fashion. It wasn't a statement of fact. Can you see that now without being so offended? Or was it that I pointed out that you defaulted to the judges and DPP when asked a serious question?

How about challenging my arguments rather than taking the lazy road of attacking my character. I have great respect for law, but little trust in the judiciary and for reasons well highlighted in this thread.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Here's an interesting one I came across from the north when looking for false allegations against taxi drivers.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/wheelchair-bound-irish-woman-who-12846892

This woman made two false allegations of rape a few years apart. Both times, she was given suspended sentences with no jail time. She has a history of making other false claims to police, but they still arrested her latest victim and turned his life upside down.

If the man had so much as farted in that womans direction, he would have been jailed. Seems very unfair she keeps getting away with these crimes.

Do you live in the same world as the rest of us?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

https://www.independent.ie/news/the-dpp-ruined-my-life-entertainer-sil-fox-sues-prosecutor-after-sex-assault-acquittal-40106553.html

Absolutely ridicilous its not possible to sue the DPP or the Gards for defamation as the DPP is entitled to absolute privilege in the course of a prosecution and a complaint of malicious prosecution would be unsustainable unless there is evidence of malice which I'm sure they can cover up easily.

How many more times will this happen unless the system is changed. The DPP and the gards need to be held accountable when they attempt to ruin a mans life like this.

I hope he wins his case anyhow and at least this case is putting the office of the DPP under scrutiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

I was watching a video on TikTok (yea I know :rolleyes: ), and assuming its real, it was a guy catching has girl out cheating on him. She thought she was getting a surprise or present or something but all along there was images of her cheating and images of her texts with the guy on the wall behind her without her knowing.

Apparently, the guy who was with the girl found out she already had a bf and contacted him so they decided to catch her out on video. He was hiding behind her too.

Anyway, he confronted her before showing her the evidence that awaits and of course she denied all etc. Then he turned her around to see pics and texts hung on wall and aside from her mortification and embarrassment she played the victim card and one of the first things she said without hesitation, "he forced himself on me". The guy was literally standing there.

This clearly wasn't true but it just goes to show you how quickly some women can make a very serious and very dangerous accusation about a man in order to get out of a situation.

EDIT: I meant to say some women (as per mod warning below)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

py2006 wrote: »
    I was watching a video on TikTok (yea I know :rolleyes: ), and assuming its real, it was a guy catching has girl out cheating on him. She thought she was getting a surprise or present or something but all along there was images of her cheating and images of her texts with the guy on the wall behind her without her knowing.

Apparently, the guy who was with the girl found out she already had a bf and contacted him so they decided to catch her out on video. He was hiding behind her too.

Anyway, aside from her mortification and embarrassment she played the victim card and one of the first things she said without hesitation, "he forced himself on me".

This clearly wasn't true but it just goes to show you how quickly women can make a very serious and very dangerous accusation about a man in order to get out of a situation.

Too true, imagine if a man said something like this after being caught out cheating, he would condemned to the high heavens and more than likely prosecuted.

This double standard that exists in our society is reflected in our so called police force and judicial system.

Until there are serious consequences for those who make false accusations knowingly and gards along with the dpp who pursue cases without properly investigating them, this is going to get worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,967 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

https://www.independent.ie/news/the-dpp-ruined-my-life-entertainer-sil-fox-sues-prosecutor-after-sex-assault-acquittal-40106553.html

Absolutely ridicilous its not possible to sue the DPP or the Gards for defamation as the DPP is entitled to absolute privilege in the course of a prosecution and a complaint of malicious prosecution would be unsustainable unless there is evidence of malice which I'm sure they can cover up easily.

How many more times will this happen unless the system is changed. The DPP and the gards need to be held accountable when they attempt to ruin a mans life like this.

I hope he wins his case anyhow and at least this case is putting the office of the DPP under scrutiny.

If I was him I'd take it up with the law society for professional poor conduct as well.

He won't win they will wait it out then settle as quietly as possible. When you are suing it's for compensation not to right a wrong, he's 86 they will drag in out for a few years of he lives long enough to come to court they will settle it on the steps for a no fault large cash payment.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

py2006 wrote: »
    This clearly wasn't true but it just goes to show you how quickly women can make a very serious and very dangerous accusation about a man in order to get out of a situation.
    Let's have less of the painting of an entire gender please. Especially from a tiktok video as "evidence". If you saw the same thing with the genders reversed and someone said it shows "how quickly men... etc" I'm quite sure we'd object to that. Rightfully. Thanks.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Wibbs wrote: »
    Let's have less of the painting of an entire gender please. Especially from a tiktok video as "evidence". If you saw the same thing with the genders reversed and someone said it shows "how quickly men... etc" I'm quite sure we'd object to that. Rightfully. Thanks.

Yep, agreed. My apologies.

The only gender dynamic in any of those articles is a woman farting at a man, so pretty much the reverse of the scenario you suggested.

I'm pretty sure anyone else reading the thread understood the point made. Don't get stressed about it.

Stay Free

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I'm pretty sure anyone else reading the thread understood the point made. Don't get stressed about it.

Which was a gross exaggeration, with little connection to reality.

Advertisement