Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nika Bolokov

MattS1 wrote: »
    I get it & fair enough I may have put it a bit too high at 450k. But that house specifically went for 65k over asking & definitely was underpriced to get a bidding war going.

I'd be curious to know also why some of the newer estates are selling for 60/70k more than Carton Court. Obviously they are A rated but would that be enough for this large gap? (HTB excluded as these are 2nd hand built in the last 5 years). e.g a 3 bed in Moyglare semi for 395k vs 4 bed CC at 385k

Smaller rooms in general , older heating systems and older style layouts. Decor likely to be older too and often fewer bathrooms, no ensuite etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Smaller rooms in general , older heating systems and older style layouts. Decor likely to be older too and often fewer bathrooms, no ensuite etc.

Fixtures and fittings are older and more worn, probably need to redo the kitchen / bathrooms, carpets, paint etc.
    The benefit is the gardens may be larger and more mature and any problems with the house are usually fixed, whereas a new build may have snags.

Some people just want to move in and live, no interest in maintenance and redecorating.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    Fixtures and fittings are older and more worn, probably need to redo the kitchen / bathrooms, carpets, paint etc.
    The benefit is the gardens may be larger and more mature and any problems with the house are usually fixed, whereas a new build may have snags.

Some people just want to move in and live, no interest in maintenance and redecorating.

Problems usually fixed? Wouldn't count on it. Many second hand houses come with bigger problems than a few snags (that the builders are going to fix anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Problems usually fixed? Wouldn't count on it. Many second hand houses come with bigger problems than a few snags (that the builders are going to fix anyway)

Sure, but some newer houses have issues with pyrite or not meeting regs, or septic/water issues etc. Not saying they're all Priory Hall, but it does happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,247 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I emailed an agent about viewing a house and they have come back to me and said they have a video they can send on but first I would have to provide proof of mortgage approval or proof of funds - so I don't get to see the property in person and to even see the video of the house, i have to give them proof of funds? Is this the way things are now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭optogirl

leahyl wrote: »
    I emailed an agent about viewing a house and they have come back to me and said they have a video they can send on but first I would have to provide proof of mortgage approval or proof of funds - so I don't get to see the property in person and to even see the video of the house, i have to give them proof of funds? Is this the way things are now?

Yep. Absolutely mad. Can't believe I'm bidding on houses I've never set foot in. Goes against all of my instincts but with 2 kids & renting we just really need to move at this stage. I'd love to be able to put up a shelf or a bit of decking in my garden

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭TobyHolmes

tell them to shove it.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭DubLad69

Our house has been delayed yet again. We were initially told this June. Then it was pushed back to November. Now they are saying Jan/Feb next year.

They are blaming the shutdown of construction in it. Which is fair. But I just feel as though construction of homes should be priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Webster29

I'm currently selling and finding the process just as frustrating as buyers. I wouldn't trust someone bidding without seeing. You only ever buy a property if you can get a feel for it and see yourself living there. I would assume anyone who bids up will try to pull out or renegotiate once they see real life. I'd be fairly sure some of these bids are just people looking to be higher up the EAs list once viewings commence without making any real commitment.

Edit- the number of requests we are getting for viewing is huge and I'm all for the EA trying to whittle down the numbers to serious potential purchasers becuase I don't want a small army through my door, but I'm very aware that looking for proof of fund would exclude me from looking at other houses, since I still have my own to sell. And I'm aware that people are bidding to look serious when they may not be. I would rather see the EAs engage better with potential buyers and try fix me up with a smaller pool of interested parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Reins

Webster29 wrote: »
    I'm currently selling and finding the process just as frustrating as buyers. I wouldn't trust someone bidding without seeing. You only ever buy a property if you can get a feel for it and see yourself living there. I would assume anyone who bids up will try to pull out or renegotiate once they see real life. I'd be fairly sure some of these bids are just people looking to be higher up the EAs list once viewings commence without making any real commitment.

Couldn't agree more with you and I've posted about this being a nightmare for vendors.

An estate agent I know had 2 sales fall through last week within an hour of each other.
    The scenario you suggest is what happened (imo)in the one I've mentioned.

• Advertisement

Reins wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more with you and I've posted about this being a nightmare for vendors.

An estate agent I know had 2 sales fall through last week within an hour of each other.
    The scenario you suggest is what happened (imo)in the one I've mentioned.

In all the talk of a buyer's market or seller's market people forget that dysfunction is good for nobody. I just want to move near my parents and can't for now, and I'm sure there's someone wants to buy mine for the same reason and can't for now.

It was difficult before but with this in the mix now it's a total disaster!

At least if you'd a decent estate agent they'd be able to suss out a genuine purchaser but that's gone for now as no one is seeing anyone in person because online bidding is the only show in town at the mo.

Are you hoping to buy or just selling?

I'm looking to buy also but luckily I viewed a house in December when things were less strict and am sale agreed. Seller was willing to wait for mine to sell but I'm not sure he anticipated the (probably) five months of lock down to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

TobyHolmes wrote: »
    tell them to shove it.

As much as I'd like to do the same, others will and I/we'll be the one still looking for a house.

Webster29 wrote: »
    I'm looking to buy also but luckily I viewed a house in December when things were less strict and am sale agreed. Seller was willing to wait for mine to sell but I'm not sure he anticipated the (probably) five months of lock down to follow.

Best of luck,hope you catch a break with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Teacher2020

We are sale agreed on the house we are buying since 1st week of March 2020. Luckily house we are buying are happy to wait. We have had 2 sales on our own house fall through since then. Currently sale agreed on this sale since end of September. Solicitors are literally driving me insane bit by bit. They still won't give us a closing date. We have signed both contracts 2 weeks ago but our solicitor still hasn't sent over contracts to the house we are buying and won't give me an answer of when they will be sent! Haven't sent mortgage documents to bank either! I've had more angry cries over the last week than I think I've had in the last 10 years! Already had to renew our mortgage offer once- I'll flip if we have to do it again! I'll be fit for nothing after this process- never again!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Sweetaure

We are sale agreed on the house we are buying since 1st week of March 2020. Luckily house we are buying are happy to wait. We have had 2 sales on our own house fall through since then. Currently sale agreed on this sale since end of September. Solicitors are literally driving me insane bit by bit. They still won't give us a closing date. We have signed both contracts 2 weeks ago but our solicitor still hasn't sent over contracts to the house we are buying and won't give me an answer of when they will be sent! Haven't sent mortgage documents to bank either! I've had more angry cries over the last week than I think I've had in the last 10 years! Already had to renew our mortgage offer once- I'll flip if we have to do it again! I'll be fit for nothing after this process- never again!

I feel for you!! Best of luck with everything...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Are viewings still closed until April 5th now?

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Milena009

MattS1 wrote: »
    Are viewings still closed until April 5th now?

Assumption is that yes.
    However official announcement is due tomorrow afternoon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭BaRcOe

Why don't banks automatically extend loan offers during this pandemic? I can't find it anywhere on Google. Our house is almost done, and it looks like Home construction isn't going back in March. See Sean Defoes Tweet. We will get an extension, we both have good reliable jobs and good savings... Etc. But it might not be enough time. We are so stressed because why on earth are loan offers not automatically not pushed out for as long as construction is not active. It is so simple to understand, yet the bank don't seem to have any leeway. We will be in touch with our solicitor tomorrow. We do NOT want to have to apply for a mortgage all over again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭Treppen

It's just to cut out the tyre kickers and people who just want a gawk but haven't even engaged an EA to sell their own yet.

No big deal, we just sent on our AIP and blacked out the amount the bank were loaning to us etc.

Don't worry about not seeing the house in person, Once you have seen a video you bid on what you think it's worth assuming all is well.

If you get a sale agreed then nothing is binding until a proper viewing. Keep the house in the back pocket and keep looking.

If you spot something in the viewing then either negotiate or back out.

People are getting too emotional about it. You can only control what you can control.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Teacher2020

BaRcOe wrote: »
    Why don't banks automatically extend loan offers during this pandemic? I can't find it anywhere on Google. Our house is almost done, and it looks like Home construction isn't going back in March. See Sean Defoes Tweet. We will get an extension, we both have good reliable jobs and good savings... Etc. But it might not be enough time. We are so stressed because why on earth are loan offers not automatically not pushed out for as long as construction is not active. It is so simple to understand, yet the bank don't seem to have any leeway. We will be in touch with our solicitor tomorrow. We do NOT want to have to apply for a mortgage all over again.

They told us theyd offer us an extension but we had to undergo a "covid check" to get the extension. Had to submit salary certs, payslips, savings statements, bank statements and all docs again. They say it's an extension but you have to pass all the checks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭BaRcOe

They told us theyd offer us an extension but we had to undergo a "covid check" to get the extension. Had to submit salary certs, payslips, savings statements, bank statements and all docs again. They say it's an extension but you have to pass all the checks again.

That's good. I'm talking more about, say our gym membership. It got paused. I just can't fathom how it's fair that we are getting pushed to the end of our loan offer as if there was no pandemic. As if builders were on site. It's so unfair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

BaRcOe wrote:
    Why don't banks automatically extend loan offers during this pandemic? .

I would imagine it is because your circumstances could change and they would need to know this, hence the need to provide new documentation. If they just extended loan offers automatically and things showed up during the final checks then the drawdown would be affected anyway, so it's clearer for both the bank and the customer to keep everything as up to date as possible. I think for most people whose circumstances haven't already changed due to Covid, they're unlikely to change now.. that said, some of my husband's colleagues were temporarily laid off last week.. how temporary is anyone's guess

Treppen wrote: »
    It's just to cut out the tyre kickers and people who just want a gawk but haven't even engaged an EA to sell their own yet.

No big deal, we just sent on our AIP and blacked out the amount the bank were loaning to us etc.

Don't worry about not seeing the house in person, Once you have seen a video you bid on what you think it's worth assuming all is well.

If you get a sale agreed then nothing is binding until a proper viewing. Keep the house in the back pocket and keep looking.

People are getting too emotional about it. You can only control what you can control.

This is another reason why putting offers on or accepting offers without potential buyers actually going inside the house is a bad idea!
    People throwing offers in, willy nilly then backing out later.
    How could anyone have confidence in buyers when it's like that?

Treppen wrote: »

Agent i contacted yesterday about a property in lucan was having none of that. Insisted on the non redacted AIP/proof of funds. I provided that, but not evidence of savings for the balance. I could have said no and my bid wouldn't have been considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

givyjoe wrote: »
    Agent i contacted yesterday about a property in lucan was having none of that. Insisted on the non redacted AIP/proof of funds. I provided that, but not evidence of savings for the balance. I could have said no and my bid wouldn't have been considered.

Tell them to **** off and walk away, that is way over the line.

Markitron wrote: »
    Tell them to **** off and walk away, that is way over the line.

And then what? Unfortunately doing that doesn't bring me any closer to securing a place to live. As livid as I was, if i want a chance of securing that property, that's what I needed to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Winegum1

givyjoe wrote: »
    And then what? Unfortunately doing that doesn't bring me any closer to securing a place to live. As livid as I was, if i want a chance of securing that property, that's what I needed to do.

Totally get that but by God does it give them the upper hand.
    Like you I would send it in to if pushed
    I could totally see it being used to drive up bidding to the max.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Milena009

Winegum1 wrote: »
    Totally get that but by God does it give them the upper hand.
    Like you I would send it in to if pushed
    I could totally see it being used to drive up bidding to the max.

Same, i tried sending redacted AIP.
    Two separate EAs from different agencies were having none of it.

I am now just awaiting update if I have been outbid or not :confused::P

Advertisement