Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite hot sauce?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,454 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

limnam wrote: »
    anyone use mics instead of franks for wings?

do you just add butter like the franks recipe ?

Bit of garlic powder and worcestershire.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Sauce Shop sriracha is really delicious, great texture.

I must get myself to Mr. Bells!

Has anyone tried the Tapatio hot sauce?

https://twitter.com/MrBellsCork/status/1360549842502705152?s=19

We shall see!

IMG-20210213-131123.jpg

Edit: yeah, yummy but very salty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Bit of a random one, but I had the Tomato & Mascapone soup from Aldi yesterday and splashed in some Mic's Inferno Extreme and it went VERY well. Wonderful kick off it. Got the scalp sweats and all.

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Has anyone tried the Tapatio hot sauce?

I have some yeah. Fairly standard stuff, nice though. Similar to Cholula. Lovely on eggs. Staple of American diets. 7/11 sell it for 99 cents.

The Nal wrote: »
    I have some yeah. Fairly standard stuff, nice though. Similar to Cholula. Lovely on eggs. Staple of American diets. 7/11 sell it for 99 cents.

€2.30 here, which is fine.

Yeah, it's tasty enough, but again too salty, as I like to use a fair bit. Same with sambak olek, I find.

(about 230mg of salt or 90mg of sodium per teaspoon. Not too bad I guess)

Bit of a cumin flavour to it?

The Nal wrote: »

Did you spend time there?

I see in American recipes, they use fire roasted tomatoes, canned. Are they much different to our canned tomatoes?

Can't find them here. Canned tomatilloes not available either. The fresh ones are really expensive and hard to find.

It's only recently that I've been able to get canned chipotle in adobo sauce. But the shop I use changed the brand and they are not as good.

We shall see!

IMG-20210213-131123.jpg

Edit: yeah, yummy but very salty.

Oh, that El Pato is not what I expected at all. I thought it would be a tomato salsa.

It's a dark brown liquid, sharp and a bit hot.

I'm currently cooking my black beans in it. Had to make a quick homemade salsa with cherry tomatoes, onion, green chilli, lime juice and cumin.

Would make a great enchilada sauce.

• Advertisement

Same with sambak olek, I find.

Actually did fried rice during the week with a sambal sauce mixed in. Two tablespoons of sambal, 1 tablespoon of rice vinegar and a teaspoon of honey. Sweetens it up. Lovely.
    Did you spend time there?

I see in American recipes, they use fire roasted tomatoes, canned. Are they much different to our canned tomatoes?
    Theyre just roasted or grilled before theyre canned. Just get normal tomatoes and whack them in the oven on max heat for 20 mins until they start to char.
    Canned tomatilloes not available either. The fresh ones are really expensive and hard to find.

Not sure what neck of the woods you live in but I got some canned in Picado. They deliver too.

https://www.picadomexican.com/

But yeah, fresh ones are way better but my green grocer doesn't do them anymore. Supplier stopped growing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,764 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Can't find them here. Canned tomatilloes not available either. The fresh ones are really expensive and hard to find.

Superfruit in The English Market had them fresh for a good while last year.

Superfruit in The English Market had them fresh for a good while last year.

They did! I should have tried them then :/

They did! I should have tried them then :/

The fresh ones are really lovely for a green salsa!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Another big fan of Mic's here. Absolutely love their Voodoo Reaper. I'd splash a load of it onto enchiladas, pizza etc.
    Not my hottest sauce by a long distance but my favourite "regular usage" one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

I got some Mic's for Valentine's Day, my wife ordered the Foam & Fury and they also sent a Junior

I had the Junior on an omlette and it was grand, nice flavour

not opened the F&F yet though, what to expect?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I got some Mic's for Valentine's Day, my wife ordered the Foam & Fury and they also sent a Junior

I had the Junior on an omlette and it was grand, nice flavour

not opened the F&F yet though, what to expect?

It's not hot at all. Comparable enough to Frank's sauce

wife just brought home a bottle of Savage Sauce Sriracha from a local market

anyone had it? it smells lovely, I'm going to put it on some mac and cheese later

wife just brought home a bottle of Savage Sauce Sriracha from a local market

anyone had it? it smells lovely, I'm going to put it on some mac and cheese later

Oh, the fermented one, can't wait to try it. Let us know how it is!

i definitely will

• Advertisement

I'm curious about the fermented one, too.

This one looks pretty easy to make.

https://youtu.be/WEToUavZ2uA

i definitely will

We eagerly await your review of this potentially delicious fermented hot sauce.
    No rush, of course.

I'm curious about the fermented one, too.

This one looks pretty easy to make.

https://youtu.be/WEToUavZ2uA

Hmm. I'm not sure if I'm going to try that, but that is probably the most chillies I have ever seen in my life.
    Cute doggie.

Hmm. I'm not sure if I'm going to try that, but that is probably the most chillies I have ever seen in my life.
    Cute doggie.
    I really like their channel. I don't find myself making any dishes from it as such but you take a lot away from watching it, if you get me. Lots of tips and ideas to be hod. If you are interested in the variety and scope of Chinese food, rather than looking for recipes, it's a very interesting channel. Flavourful origins on Netflix is also really interesting and enlightening, too.
    Sorry for off topic.

Yeah this was nice, not very hot (the sellers told my wife it was 7/10 for hotness, but it's deffo not)

tasty and has a depth to it

I'll put it in my stir fry for lunch today

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

My new favourite is "Bulls-Eye Carolina Reaper Extra Hot Sauce" which can be sometimes found at SuperValu. It is pretty hot but also has great deep and rich flavour.

5000157144225_3.JPG

Has a lovely strong garlic taste to it, that one.

I was in a SuperValu at the weekend and saw a great array of hot sauces, so I'm going to take a pic of it next time and see what people recommend

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

I was in a SuperValu at the weekend and saw a great array of hot sauces, so I'm going to take a pic of it next time and see what people recommend

Super Valu can have some gems. Found a bottle of Blairs Ultra Death in the one in Blanch village when I lived there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭LLewellen Farquarson

BailMeOut wrote: »
    My new favourite is "Bulls-Eye Carolina Reaper Extra Hot Sauce" which can be sometimes found at SuperValu. It is pretty hot but also has great deep and rich flavour.

5000157144225_3.JPG
    Have a bottle in my drawer, awaiting opening.
    Which I'll do this week.
    Is it better as a cooking or put in sandwich sauce?

Advertisement