Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite hot sauce?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 se25

Wonderful...and Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭xvril

Where can I buy Mic’s chilli BBQ? I bought direct online after finding the hot sauce in a restaurant in Budapest and stunned it was an Irish product.

https://www.micschilli.com/stockist

List of all the places that stock mics chilli sauces. Not sure how up to date it is. I actually just got a bottle today.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Got some Bullseye Carolina Reaper hot sauce.

Very garlicy and a slow build to a strong heat.
    Thick and sweet. Nice

I've yet to try the Al'fez harissa.

Both are currently on sale in Tesco.

IMG-20201209-203706.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭LLewellen Farquarson

igCorcaigh wrote: »

Thick and sweet. Nice

IMG-20201209-203706.jpg

Thanks for that, just picked up one of each.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,320 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

what commercial sauce would be the closest to what you would get in a restaurant or pub as regards the Louisiana sauce?

• Advertisement

Bought a bottle of Call cali Tijuana hot sauce in Supervalue.
    Not a fan. Very watery and tastes like flavoured vinegar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Bought a selection of sauces from Mics Chilli and found this one the tastiest, really nice peppery taste and hot but not senselessly so.

Inferno Sauce Original :
    https://www.micschilli.com/webstore/inferno-sauce-original

Got the Voodoo reaper one too, but haven't tried it yet, not sure I want to now :)

Bought a selection of sauces from Mics Chilli and found this one the tastiest, really nice peppery taste and hot but not senselessly so.

Inferno Sauce Original :

Got the Voodoo reaper one too, but haven't tried it yet, not sure I want to now :)

I have the Trouble in Trinidad (6)
    Two drops is good, three is overload.
    Voodoo reaper at (7) night be a bit much for me.

Thick and sweet. Nice

IMG-20201209-203706.jpg

Just had the Harissa on a poached egg on brown bread.
    Very nice with a strong taste of star anaise. Going to mix some into couscous tonight.

Thanks for the recommendation.

First time trying Harissa and won't be the last.

First time trying Harissa and won't be the last.

I love trying different harrisas, some can be heavily spiced, others just a simple chilli paste.

Check out the rose harrisa from Belazu if you can, it's lovely.

• Advertisement

Just had the Harissa on a poached egg on brown bread.
    Very nice with a strong taste of star anaise. Going to mix some into couscous tonight.

it's very different from other harrisas alright (the Al' Fez).
    Very star anise flavoured. And contains tomatoes.

It got some bad reviews because of that (on the Tesco site), but I really like it.

Mixing it through couscous is a good use for it, as you say, I bet it might make a good marinade too.
    It's just not a condiment style harrisa!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,092 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Skerries wrote: »
    what commercial sauce would be the closest to what you would get in a restaurant or pub as regards the Louisiana sauce?

Louisiana is the name is a commercial hot sauce brand. Its a fermented vinegar based afaik. So similar to Franks or Tabasco. Closer to franks in heat.
    They also do a wing sauce. Which is the same hot sauce base emulsified with oil, and sugar.

Inferno Sauce Original :

Got the original Inferno (60,000 SHU) as a present!
    It will come in very handy.

The Voodoo (1,200,000 SHU!) is just way too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

it's very different from other harrisas alright (the Al' Fez).
    Very star anise flavoured. And contains tomatoes.

It got some bad reviews because of that (on the Tesco site), but I really like it.

Mixing it through couscous is a good use for it, as you say, I bet it might make a good marinade too.
    It's just not a condiment style harrisa!

The al'fez range is quite good. I took a cooking course in Morocco a few years ago, brought back some clay tagines and have been making moroccan since. The preserved lemons are spot on for the chicken dish we learned to cook

the Harissa is very close to some of the local pastes made in Morocco although a tad duller, if you can't deal with star anise or coriander that country will disappoint :pac:

their ras el hanout is the best blend off the shelf I've found.

their ras el hanout is the best blend off the shelf I've found.

Sounds good, where did you pick it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Sounds good, where did you pick it up?

Got it in donnybrook fair

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Has Sitto Z been mentioned here?

I really like their lava sauce, it's hot but has a lovely flavour backing it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,521 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Has Sitto Z been mentioned here?

I really like their lava sauce, it's hot but has a lovely flavour backing it up.

Cheers will go for a bottle now, haven't heard of them before. I fancy a few hot wings in the next week or so. Still have some Carolina Reaper sauce I made in the fridge. Bananas hot but tastes nice.

Thread reminds me I need to do cull. The Yellowbird is the still my favourite hot sauce.

Capture.png

• Registered Users Posts: 8,341 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

That's mad. A whole cupboard taken up with hot sauces! :D

The Nal wrote: »
    The Yellowbird is the still my favourite hot sauce.

My new mission!
    Any local suppliers down my way?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

• Registered Users Posts: 12,521 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

My new mission!
    Any local suppliers down my way?

I don't think so unfortunately. Online only, like Amazon, but I got mine when I was in Wholefoods in America.
    Tilikum17 wrote: »

They're the guys I got the Reaper from. Very nice sauces too. Lovely fruit content to them.

Ordered at 11am, just got delivered! Yeah its hot, very nice taste though. Good shout cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

The Nal wrote: »
    I don't think so unfortunately. Online only, like Amazon, but I got mine when I was in Wholefoods in America.

They're the guys I got the Reaper from. Very nice sauces too. Lovely fruit content to them.

Ordered at 11am, just got delivered! Yeah its hot, very nice taste though. Good shout cheers.

Yeah I used to always get the Carolina reaper & blueberry. It’s hot, but nothing like that one I posted above.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Mister S (Camden Street) did a larder box before Christmas, with various restaurant-made condiments. They've consistently been the best of the "eat at home" / "cook at home" restaurants that pivoted during lockdown, in our opinion. When the larder box came out I wasn't sure whether I would bother, but we did.

I'm only getting around to trying some of the elements now... One of which is a fermented hot sauce. I have to say, very very moreish. It's got a relatively light but cloudy body. Heat wise it is somewhere above your standard taco shop hot sauce and some of the inferno chilli type products. Hot, but definitely still approachable for most people.

Anyway, worth trying if anyone has the opportunity - while acknowledging it is one of the more unobtainable items mentioned in this thread, if they don't restart doing the larder boxes again soon.

One I picked up today: Arbol chilli sauce from Wahaca (Thomasina Miers) for €1 in Mr. Price!

I know food safety advice is not allowed, but do people keep their hot sauces in the fridge?
    This one says to, but I tend not to bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭interlocked

Got the original Inferno (60,000 SHU) as a present!
    It will come in very handy.

The Voodoo (1,200,000 SHU!) is just way too much.

I loved the Inferno so I upgraded to the Naga Knockdown and the Voodoo, I was a bit apprehensive of the Voodoo so I was initially only using a few drops in a stir fry but to be honest it was less nuclear than I was expecting, good kick but not overwhelming, the problem now is that I'm lashing it in like I did the Inferno, and it's a lot more expensive!

Fair play to Mic's btw, I've ordered a couple of bottles twice now and they've thrown in a bottle of barbecue sauce each time, very decent of them and next day delivery as well! Their online service has been a godsend, I found it impossible previously to get any of their products locally, other than the Inferno.

I loved the Inferno so I upgraded to the Naga Knockdown and the Voodoo, I was a bit apprehensive of the Voodoo so I was initially only using a few drops in a stir fry but to be honest it was less nuclear than I was expecting, good kick but not overwhelming, the problem now is that I'm lashing it in like I did the Inferno, and it's a lot more expensive!

Fair play to Mic's btw, I've ordered a couple of bottles twice now and they've thrown in a bottle of barbecue sauce each time, very decent of them and next day delivery as well! Their online service has been a godsend, I found it impossible previously to get any of their products locally, other than the Inferno.

I tend to not mix hot sauce into food during cooking, rather use it as a condiment, so mileage varies.
    I tasted the voodoo directly, so maybe that's why I found it OTT!

I'm lucky to have local vendors, but good one on the online delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭Corvo

I tend to not mix hot sauce into food during cooking, rather use it as a condiment, so mileage varies.

This is how I use the Voodoo as well and it absolutely kills me and I have a pretty high tolerance for heat

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭interlocked

Good call on the above, I just made a stirfry, threw some voodoo into it whilst cooking it and then splashed a good shot on it when it was on the plate, a lot more bang for your buck all right! Not intolerable though, but a good shot of heat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

anyone use mics instead of franks for wings?

do you just add butter like the franks recipe ?

Advertisement