Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

*Gas* BBQ/Grilling

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I've noticed recently on Amazon that if I'm not using Parcel Motel the end price can be a bit higher because of VAT. That could explain the difference.

Yes the vat difference brings 7.96 to 8.15 if it is 20% vs 23%, not sure if current vat rates are lowered to promote business?

You can use this site to see price histories.

https://uk.camelcamelcamel.com/product/B017LU1DD4

If you are in no rush to get an item it is really good, as you can set your target price and it checks it daily and you get an email if it has dropped. It is not flawless though, sometimes there are lightening deals and it does not pick them up, and so they also do not show in history. This seem to be what is going on recently too, the big price drops are not detected. But you can see it does go down to 7.60. It is £13.84 at the moment

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

rubadub wrote: »
    Yes the vat difference brings 7.96 to 8.15 if it is 20% vs 23%, not sure if current vat rates are lowered to promote business?

Irish VAT is temporarily 21% so the price difference is less noticeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭sphinxicus

Hey All. Great thread this. I just bought my first proper and also first gas BBQ. You would laugh if you saw what i came from.

I ended up with a Landmann Miton 4.1. I've just got the patio gas (propane) cylinder today but before i hook it up i noticed that some people say you should season cast iron grills. I believe these are enamelled cast iron. Do i still need to season them with oil before and after or do i just keep them clean and not worry about them rusting etc?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

We never seasoned ours, I think they just become seasoned as you use them. Brushing them with a little oil before using them will help stop food sticking. Mr Dizzy turns the heat up full for a few minutes before each use and goes at the grill with a BBQ brush to clean it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭micks_address

Not sure it made much difference but I ran half an onion on a fork over ours. Seen it on some YouTube video
    sphinxicus wrote: »
    Hey All. Great thread this. I just bought my first proper and also first gas BBQ. You would laugh if you saw what i came from.

I ended up with a Landmann Miton 4.1. I've just got the patio gas (propane) cylinder today but before i hook it up i noticed that some people say you should season cast iron grills. I believe these are enamelled cast iron. Do i still need to season them with oil before and after or do i just keep them clean and not worry about them rusting etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭sphinxicus

Not sure it made much difference but I ran half an onion on a fork over ours. Seen it on some YouTube video

That's something im gonna have to look at now. Peaked my curiosity :)

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭north south east west

Does anyone know do Weber run black Friday sales normally. Thinking of getting the Weber Spirit II but am not in a rush.

I see a good few people seem to have this grill, how are they finding it? Worth the money?

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Jim Stynes

Any good Black Friday deals on Weber gas Bbq?

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

Nice weekend, ribs and steak sunday

Medium done the steak as per our guest preferences (part of our bubble!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭dball

can anyone recommend where I could get lava rocks for a gas bbq. I remember last year trying to get them online but a lot pf places either didn't have them in stock or were sold out.
    Loooking for delivery to Kerry.

TIA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Gooser14

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭tangy

I suppose I'm the only pervert thinking the board is the star of that photo :rolleyes:

Very nice looking meat, BTW :pac:

Some sunshine and heat (13 degrees) today (for February) - hope you guys got to enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Nice weekend, ribs and steak sunday

Looks unreal, how did you do the ribs?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,297 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

dball wrote: »
    can anyone recommend where I could get lava rocks for a gas bbq. I remember last year trying to get them online but a lot pf places either didn't have them in stock or were sold out.

TIA.

I’ve got some in homestore & more before.

Looks unreal, how did you do the ribs?

I have a 4 burner bbq:
    - Left and right burners open fully and center ones off for indirect grilling (350-ish F temperature).
    - Rubbed ribs with Carnivore rub orange (for pork) from Higgins butcher (you can buy online, the dark one for steaks is awesome too but today I didn’t use it for the steaks)
    - Ribs meat side down for 30-ish minutes
    - Bone side down 30-ish minutes (sprayed with apple juice on meat side generously when turning ribs)
    - Placed ribs in a large Pyrex container with some apple juice in the bottom (just a few mm), sprayed meat side generously again with more juice, placed some butter on top of ribs and covered everything with strong tin foil.
    - All burners turned on to minimum, placed container on grill and grilled for one hour-ish
    - Opened everything and checked done-ness with a fork (fork goes in and out effortlessly)
    - covered ribs in bbq sauce and placed ribs on grill with burners in minimum
    - left for 10 minutes in grill
    - take it out, rest 10 minutes and eat!

TIA.

Are they not supposed to be pretty crap?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭dball

Are they not supposed to be pretty crap?

What would be recommended instead of lava rocks?

What would be recommended instead of lava rocks?

I’ve nothing on my bbq and food tastes amazing. Just the burner covers that help vaporize the drippings. Lava rocks are usually very porous and can soak all the juices, not vaporizing them properly. This can help carry today’s steak flavor to tomorrow’s sea bream. I had some years ago and hated them.

My opinion only

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,737 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I’ve nothing on my bbq and food tastes amazing. Just the burner covers that help vaporize the drippings. Lava rocks are usually very porous and can soak all the juices, not vaporizing them properly. This can help carry today’s steak flavor to tomorrow’s sea bream. I had some years ago and hated them.

My opinion only

Different set up. Your grill has some sort of flavour bars, vaporizers or covers. Older grill designs relied on rocks of some sort.
    On an older design grill of mine I preferred ceramic stones that I found in tkmax or somewhere to the lava rocks that came with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

I have a 4 burner bbq:
    - Left and right burners open fully and center ones off for indirect grilling (350-ish F temperature).
    - Rubbed ribs with Carnivore rub orange (for pork) from Higgins butcher (you can buy online, the dark one for steaks is awesome too but today I didn’t use it for the steaks)
    - Ribs meat side down for 30-ish minutes
    - Bone side down 30-ish minutes (sprayed with apple juice on meat side generously when turning ribs)
    - Placed ribs in a large Pyrex container with some apple juice in the bottom (just a few mm), sprayed meat side generously again with more juice, placed some butter on top of ribs and covered everything with strong tin foil.
    - All burners turned on to minimum, placed container on grill and grilled for one hour-ish
    - Opened everything and checked done-ness with a fork (fork goes in and out effortlessly)
    - covered ribs in bbq sauce and placed ribs on grill with burners in minimum
    - left for 10 minutes in grill
    - take it out, rest 10 minutes and eat!

Thanks a lot for that, I will give that a try!

Happy sunny Sunday!

Thanks a lot for that, I will give that a try!

Made ribs again today. I cooked all the time in indirect (295-350 grill temperature) fire this time, including when they were covered in foil until after applying the sauce, then I switched on all burners to minimum.

They turned out better than the last time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

Got a present of a new really decent barbecue- step up from my €150 previous edition. Curious about storing it. Do most people just leave them out the back patio/garden under a cover? No incidents of thieving or anything from back gardens like you hear re: bikes for example? Any help or advice or what other people do be great.

Have a garden shed for the winter but be a nightmare to have to drag it in and out as plan on using the bbq a lot.

Got a present of a new really decent barbecue- step up from my €150 previous edition. Curious about storing it. Do most people just leave them out the back patio/garden under a cover? No incidents of thieving or anything from back gardens like you hear re: bikes for example? Any help or advice or what other people do be great.

Have a garden shed for the winter but be a nightmare to have to drag it in and out as plan on using the bbq a lot.

Buy a good cover. Nothing from woodies and the likes. Got one from them and it ripped in less than three months.

I bought this one a couple of months ago (Grillman Premium BBQ Grill Cover,... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07QV3G7LX?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share) and it has been fantastic with plenty of windy/storm days and as well with bad rain/snow. My bbq stays outside all the time (covered, of course).

I wouldn’t worry about thieving. BBQs don’t shift as well as bikes and are very heavy!

Buy a good cover. Nothing from woodies and the likes. !

I'm going to make my own for my Kamado bench.
    Its approx 2.4m x 500mm .

Pattern & sewing I can handle but what material ?
    I'm thinking of getting one or two big ground sheets or tarps etc .
    Any other suggestions ?

I got a quote for a custom made one from kover-it.co.uk and it was £250 :eek:
    Almost as much the bench cost to make!

I'm going to make my own for my Kamado bench.
    Its approx 2.4m x 500mm .

Pattern & sewing I can handle but what material ?
    I'm thinking of getting one or two big ground sheets or tarps etc .
    Any other suggestions ?

I got a quote for a custom made one from kover-it.co.uk and it was £250 :eek:
    Almost as much the bench cost to make!

Now you have to show us the bench. And where you got it from

• Registered Users Posts: 8,297 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I now store ours in the shed for the late autumn/winter/early spring when the rain is at it's worst. Heavy cover from Home Store & More when it's outside.

• Advertisement

Now you have to show us the bench. And where you got it from

No probs,
    Made it myself last year!

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058101657

Advertisement