Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Eurovision Song Contest 2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭LordBasil

Czech Republic

OK I suppose. He might lift it live. His entry last year was better.

James Newman confirmed for the UK;

https://eurovision.tv/story/james-newman-flying-the-flag-for-the-united-kingdom

Fairly expected tbh. Apparently song will be more up-tempo and will be revealed next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,959 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Irish entry is called "Maps" and will be released next Friday (Feb 26th), as per Lesley Roy's Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,816 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

LordBasil wrote: »
    Czech Republic

OK I suppose. He might lift it live. His entry last year was better.
    That is decent.
    They spent some dough on that video as well, it is fairly racking up the views!

James Newman confirmed for the UK;

https://eurovision.tv/story/james-newman-flying-the-flag-for-the-united-kingdom

Fairly expected tbh. Apparently song will be more up-tempo and will be revealed next month.
    I think I am one of the few people who loved his song last year.
    Really interested to see what song he has this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,959 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

gmisk wrote: »
    That is decent.
    They spent some dough on that video as well, it is fairly racking up the views!

It's a cracking good pop song, could do really well this year.....very upbeat and positive vibes.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,528 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Lesley Roy performing the song on next week’s Late Late Show.

Lesley Roy performing the song on next week’s Late Late Show.
    Let's hope it's better than her performance the last time....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Blind Channel will represent Finland with the song 'Dark Side'.

Blind Channel will represent Finland with the song 'Dark Side'.
    That's pretty catchy, should do quite well.
    I am guessing linkin park were popular in Finland?

• Advertisement

gmisk wrote: »
    That's pretty catchy, should do quite well.
    I am guessing linkin park were popular in Finland?
    It won by 400 points so yes

A big shock in Norway - Keiino did not win.

Tix will represent Norway with the song 'Fallen Angel'.

A big shock in Norway - Keiino did not win.

Tix will represent Norway with the song 'Fallen Angel'.
    Wow now that is a shock!
    monument doesn't have that instant Eurovision appeal, but surely a better shot than that one!

I see Charlotte perelli is through to the final of melodifestivalen!
    Dotter looks to be favourite I would guess from what I have listened to.
    But semi 4 has the mamas and Eric saade!

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Ah come on, ye can't post the Norwegian song and not post the live performance

:pac:

Seriously laughing that Monument lost to this! It's very early 2000's boyband. Think it might qualify for the final for the novelty factor. Not that Monument would've done a whole deal better, was always wildly overrated by the fandom.

Ah come on, ye can't post the Norwegian song and not post the live performance

:pac:

Seriously laughing that Monument lost to this! It's very early 2000's boyband. Think it might qualify for the final for the novelty factor. Not that Monument would've done a whole deal better, was always wildly overrated by the fandom.
    Christ...without that weird staging it is literally a Westlife song.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Spain

Should be another bottom 5 finish.

Spain

Should be another bottom 5 finish.

Definitely Bottom 5 as while it is not a terrible song I just can't see what reason anyone will have to vote for it over 25 other songs in the final. Such a shame as Blas is a very capable performer and deserves a stronger song.

Although going by the snippet of Germany's song that leaked yesterday, Spain may avoid last place...

Catching up on everything picked thus far.

Albania: Not particularly exciting, likely to be staying in the semis.

Croatia: Catchy, liked this one more than I thought I would. Could actually do quite well but she needs to work on that big note before the first chorus.

Czech Republic: It's pleasant enough. Not a Eurovision winner but decent enough to qualify for the final.

Finland: Very Linkin Park. Not really my thing but will appeal to a not-insignificant portion of the audience. Probably enough to get out of the semis but unlikely to be the next Lordi.

France: Old fashioned, but in a good way; if you told me this was a song from the 60's I'd probably believe you! Has a very timeless and.....well, very French quality to it. Doubt it's a winner but should finish respectably.

Israel: Meh, fairly average. Borderline as to whether it makes the final or not.

Lithuania: Very happy to see The Roop back. They manage to keep the difficult balance between "crowd pleasing novelty act" and "actual proper music act". Whether or not they win, they should easily get Lithuania's best finish for a long time.

Norway: Seems very dated, like some kind of 00's boyband song. No idea why they chose this (although I listened to Monument and didn't think much of that either), wouldn't be surprised if this stayed in the semis tbh.

Spain: The a capella at the start is nice but otherwise this is quite forgettable, and the backing vocals are atrocious. I thought his other song Memoria was better.

Ukraine: I loved Solovey, don't know if this one is as good but it certainly didn't disappoint. They've a very interesting sound which definitely would not be everyone's cup of tea but I'd really like to see this do well.

Cyprus has been released

Music Video Sponsors: Head & Shoulders, Bluesky, which explains the blatant product placement! :pac:

It's a decent enough electropop song, chorus is very "Bad Romance". Nothing groundbreaking but could do well if staging is good.

• Advertisement

Germany's song has been leaked: https://vocaroo.com/1i3gY6F26OOo

Sounds like a JESC entry. or something San Marino would reject

Germany's song has been leaked: https://vocaroo.com/1i3gY6F26OOo

Sounds like a JESC entry. or something San Marino would reject

I....actually don't hate this. :o It's a ridiculous song but also kind of an earworm; the kind of song you think is irritating but then find yourself humming shortly afterwards. Also looked at his Insta and he seems like he might have enough charisma to pull it off. Songs like this tend to crash if they're presented too earnestly; if it's staged well it will definitely stand out as something light-hearted and fun among other, more serious/downbeat entries.

I think the trumpets are a nice touch, definitely adds a bit more lift than if it was just 3 minutes of ukulele.

Yeah I'm not getting the initial Germany hate either? To me it sounds like one of the better ones picked so far. It sounds pretty tinny above though, will wait until it's properly unveiled until I judge properly.

It'd be nice to be surprised with a decent song, but obviously I'll be keeping my expectations low.

It'd be nice to be surprised with a decent song, but obviously I'll be keeping my expectations low.

The guy who wrote “She Got Me” by Luca Hanni for Switzerland 2019 is writing this. I am hopeful.

I'm quite optimistic about Lesley's song;

Video shoot photos look stunning.- Very Taylor Swift 'Folklore'

Interesting & Successful Songwriters

Recently, Ireland does well in ESC when we send established acts who are in control of their staging & performance (e.g. Jedward, Ryan O'Shaughnessy) and it looks like Lesley has full control over everything and she seems really comfortable.

It will probably be more in her vocal range and be folky/rock rather than the bubblegum pop of her song last year.

'Maps' is an intriguing title

Come on Lesley, don't let us down. Dublin 2022 here we come!!!

I'm quite optimistic about Lesley's song;

Video shoot photos look stunning.- Very Taylor Swift 'Folklore'

Interesting & Successful Songwriters

Recently, Ireland does well in ESC when we send established acts who are in control of their staging & performance (e.g. Jedward, Ryan O'Shaughnessy) and it looks like Lesley has full control over everything and she seems really comfortable.

It will probably be more in her vocal range and be folky/rock rather than the bubblegum pop of her song last year.

'Maps' is an intriguing title

Come on Lesley, don't let us down. Dublin 2022 here we come!!!

Wonder what NPHET would say about Eurovision potentially coming to Dublin next year :pac:

Wonder what NPHET would say about Eurovision potentially coming to Dublin next year :pac:

'May 2022; 'The Next 2 Weeks are Critical' :p

• Advertisement

Forgot to comment on a couple of the songs. Czech Republic is grand, it just kinda plods along? Maybe a borderline qualifier.

I'm not really feeling Finland at all tbh, the overwhelmingly positive reaction has surprised me somewhat. Not my thing at all. Completely on my own with this but it's not a patch on Aksel's song, I absolutely loved Looking Back. As I said, completely on my own with that one :pac:

Cyprus is your bog standard Eurovision 'bop', as the kids call it these days. Seems like another attempt to recreate the success of Fuego. At best I can see this getting a Tamta type result, at worst a NQ.

Here's the video for Germany

It's not bad? A bit silly and twee, but not quite sure it deserves the flak it's gotten.

I can say with a lot of confidence that we definitely haven't heard the winner so far. In fact, Lithuania is the only one I can say for sure will likely be a top ten contender.

Not long now until we hear Lesley's song. I'm sure I'll awake in the morning to find out it's amazing and we've gone straight to the top of the bettings odds..... :pac:

Advertisement