Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you collect anything?

Options
  • 20-02-2021 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭

Curious to see what cool and/or weird collections the people of Boards have. I used to collect call cards when I was younger - yeah I was pretty cool like that. Stamps were a big thing too, though I never collected them.

I've gone through lots of phases - call cards, model cars, wrestling figures, Lord of the Rings miniatures... Don't have any of them any more.

Most collections are a waste of money unless it's something that retains their value or increases....but I'm curious to see what other people have..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Fake Scores

Broken hearts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Yup, I collect Music (vinyl, deluxe box sets, shirts), Film and Football/GAA memorabilia and football shirts mostly, although recently I have been picking up old classic PS1 games for a bit of nostalgia despite not really being a big gamer. Have begun a very small watch collection too.

It doesn't have to be anything particularly fancy. Usually cards, promo material, enamel or plastic badges etc.

The value of the stuff I collect varies widely. OG Jurassic Park material has a certain worth and will only continue to accumulate as the years go by so I view it almost as an investment, well, that's what I tell myself anyways. Some football shirts from the early 00s are expensive to buy now.

If you shop around you can often get good deals on this stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Just jars of my own urine.

When I was very small I used to love Matchbox cars and Micro Machines. Then as I got a little older I used to collect wrestling figures.

I kinda gave up on it all, but then got big into wrestling figures again around 16 or so, when i realised there were actual collectors and such, and there were online discussion forums. Was working around then so had money to spend, too. Probably steadily collected more wrestling figures and general merchandise until i was about 22-23. Stopped around then, albeit I still have all (or at least the majority) of what I bought, stuffed away in the attic.

I don't really watch wrestling anymore, but if I pop into Smyths I'd still take a wander down the WWE aisle, and i still have a few wrestling figures, replica belts etc. in the house in a display case. Still get given the odd one wrestling related gift here and there for Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 neutral bystander

The only thing other than cds/dvds I've ever collected were cute and pretty stickers and by collect I mean shoplifted.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Souls.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,480 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Large collection of model airplanes, military and aviation history books, 2000ad, DC and Marvel comics including some nice signed bits,(that's a shared hobby with my son. He does the American stuff and I do 2000ad).

Lot of posters and a nice selection action figures and other collectibles too.

Also have thanks to one of the darker corners of boards.ie developed an expensive addiction to watches!

I need help!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

I presume a lot of the regulars around here are the sorts of adults who collect Star Wars models, comic books, and old video game consoles.

Most collections are a waste of moneyunless it's something that retains their value or increases....but I'm curious to see what other people have..

Collections should never be viewed this way IMO.
    It's not about value, it's about the satisfaction and joy that the collection brings.

If you are collecting as an investment, 99/100 times you are losing money.

I presume a lot of the regulars around here are the sorts of adults who collect Star Wars models, comic books, and old video game consoles.

I appear to have been painted into a corner! ;)

Still losing to AvB is no shame....
    :(

• Advertisement

What do you collect?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,811 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

CDs and vinyl but I stopped about 4 years ago... with Spotify becoming a thing there was not much point in keeping buying CDs ... my amplifier for my record player broke, I just didn’t get around to replacing it so I stopped buying records too...

I’ve been putting together a ‘to do’ list ... and that includes getting a nice storage rack / shelf for my vinyl instead of it just in boxes and ‘some’ shelving ,... going to get a new amplifier and maybe upgrade the speakers... too... there are some good deals out there on electronics and storage furniture to be had so instead of ‘thinking’ I shall be ‘doing’...this looks good..

il_570xN.2068676116_s3pl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,357 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

What do you collect?

Fantasy lives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Nondescript clutter.

Your Face wrote: »
    Nondescript clutter.

Are you my wife?
    Because that's exactly what my wife says I collect!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Most collections are a waste of money unless it's something that retains their value or increases....but I'm curious to see what other people have..
    If they give people pleasure I say no harm done really. Many museum collections came from personal collections, and sometimes of things that had no apparent value when new or when being collected. Museums themselves have their origins from when personal collections were opened to the public. During the European age of exploration wealthy types started to collect oddball stuff from around the known world to show off to their mates. Some of these so called "Cabinets* of Curiosities" grew massive and some were opened to the wider public. At the start they were slapdash with curation, but books and the printed word started to increase the gra for indexing and study so they followed suit. I would agree that some collections, if not most end up dissipating or in a skip after the collectors peg it. That wastage is often how some things become rarer over time. There's a reason that something like the number 1 issue of the Superman comic might go for a million quid. It was seen as throwaway.

I've definitely got the collecting bug ever since I was a kid. I'd have collections of old books, antiques, human spaceflight stuff, watches, antiquities, minerals and fossils, a fair few vintage film posters, even some early IT stuff. My own very humble cabinet of curiosities as it were.

It's a very human thing and can be seen in our very earliest history where "cavemen" would collect unusual looking stones and shells and the like. The more modern we became the more that was in play.

banie01 wrote: »
    Also have thanks to one of the darker corners of boards.ie developed an expensive addiction to watches!

I need help!
    Dr.evil_laugh.jpg

*Cabinet being an older word for a private room rarely heard today. Private being the thing as even the wealthy tended to have people living on top of them. Though you'll sometimes read or hear the UK government is "in cabinet" and that's where it comes from.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I collect football jerseys, I usually get them cheap in sales, I'd never pay €80 for one. I don't buy them as much now as I used to. Some older ones I have are classics and new are about €200.

Recently I've started to collect local history books, and I've bought obscure ones like graveyard records. I won't ever read them all but I do use them as references for my job. I used to read a lot when I was travelling around a bit on public transport or flying a few times a year. I seem to just play with my phone these days, which is a habit I need to get out of. I do have an audiobook adiction though, I listen to about 80 books a year, a lot of those would be quite short magazine type audiobooks also. Audiobooks are great when I'm driving or walking the dog and it means I don't have to listen to all the crap that's happening at the moment.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Militaria, i used have a decent size collection of Royal Dublin Fusiliers memorabilia. Sold the more expensive pieces years ago and started collecting again recently.
    Ive recently had a peice valued at 600 euros and a second one at 200 euro.

Id also buy bone China pottery , im just about able to spot decent bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

What do you collect?

"Thanks"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,643 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Jordan F1 Merchandise. Mostly die-cast models, flags, t-shirts, stickers etc. Didn't buy anything for a while but will be again soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Nodster

Native seashells....I keep them on beaches around the coast

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Dred.

Memories

• Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Basementees.

People with actual personalities and interests then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

People with actual personalities and interests then.

Perhaps so. I’ve always found the idea of obsessively collecting something to be the type of thing that online dweebs do. The same sort of people who collect stamps, read comics as an adult, train spot, or take photographs of planes landing at Dublin Airport.

I acquire items I want. I recently purchased a first edition collection of Gibbon’s History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Films on Blu-ray and books

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

Two different patterns of Arklow Pottery.

I collect football jerseys, I usually get them cheap in sales, I'd never pay €80 for one. I don't buy them as much now as I used to. Some older ones I have are classics and new are about €200.

Recently I've started to collect local history books, and I've bought obscure ones like graveyard records. I won't ever read them all but I do use them as references for my job. I used to read a lot when I was travelling around a bit on public transport or flying a few times a year. I seem to just play with my phone these days, which is a habit I need to get out of. I do have an audiobook adiction though, I listen to about 80 books a year, a lot of those would be quite short magazine type audiobooks also. Audiobooks are great when I'm driving or walking the dog and it means I don't have to listen to all the crap that's happening at the moment.

You see some great shirts on Classic Football Shirts but they are way too expensive a site for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

Football Programmes

Vinyl

Books.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Your Face wrote: »
    Nondescript clutter.

Kipple.

Advertisement