Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you collect anything?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

Starbucks cards. Dunno why but ive 50 or so...
    Dont even like their coffee 🤷🏻*♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Darksoul

Callcards, I still have them would love to see who else has them as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 thewolfisloose

I have a wall covered in old zoo photographs that I add to periodically.

I'm by no means into photography otherwise but the contrast of content in these photographs can be so incredibly striking. Animals stuck in time.

001280ce-500.jpg

Jim Kenny (Pat Kenny's dad) Dublin Zoo, 1950~

Fantastic illustrated book on Dublin Zoo's history, full of fantastic photos and anecdotes. A surprising amount of deaths over the years!
    https://www.dublinzoo.ie/news/dublin-zoo-an-illustrated-history-new-edition/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Started buying records in 1981, CDs in 1986. Don’t intend to stop buying either format.

DVDs since 1998, BDs since 2010.

You can't really beat physical media.

Digital is great to a certain extent but it's too disposable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭Totofan99

Old coins and banknotes, particularly Irish ones but I have a lot of British and world coins too

Vinyl also

Unintentionally started collecting instruments, effects pedals, microphones. I've way too much of that stuff though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Baybay

Bottles.
    Started as a child when my dad was gardening & dug up one of those bottles with the tapered base. Haven’t added any for years now but still have a hundred or so dotted around the place.

buried wrote: »
    Vinyls over here

Get some covers for them. They really do make a difference in keeping them pristine.

Also, if you buy a record with cellophane on it.....get rid of the cellophane straight away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭AlejGuzman68

Japanese art is beautiful, I'm jealous.

They are very beautiful and tell a story. One of my favourite prints is a black-naped oriole on a stem of rose mallow by Utagawa Hiroshige.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,061 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Went up the attic earlier to have a look at some of the stuff I collected. Took a few pics.

attachment.php?attachmentid=546930&d=1615672198[\img]

Inside.

attachment.php?attachmentid=546931&d=1615672297[\img]

• Advertisement

Call cards

attachment.php?attachmentid=546932&d=1615672492[\img]

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Thepillowman

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Chainsaws, would have about a dozen at the moment.
    Mostly Sachs Dolmar and Solo, two older German makes, but a recently picked up a 1970's Echo and a few older Husqvarna. One is a saw my dad bought new in 1984, a Husky 61, and still considered one of their classic saws.
    As well as tw2o or three newer Stihl that get used.
    I read a lot of crime fiction, and tend to collect all the books in a series if I really like them.
    Collect ( or at least, throw into drawer) commerative €2 coins.
    YflYkCj.jpg
    uVgiSIL.jpg
    8n7wqTr.jpg
    h2x40OD.jpg
    ha2EQzN.jpg

Same here have between 30 and 35 some in parts get one or two going every winter. Passes away the long nights.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 49 Deseras

I collect gold coins I have about 450 now
    I started when gold was cheap

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

Get some covers for them. They really do make a difference in keeping them pristine.

Also, if you buy a record with cellophane on it.....get rid of the cellophane straight away.
    Why

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Same here have between 30 and 35 some in parts get one or two going every winter. Passes away the long nights.

What kind of stuff have you got, Pillowman?
    Oldest I've got is a Solo Rex.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Thepillowman

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    What kind of stuff have you got, Pillowman?
    Oldest I've got is a Solo Rex.

Have a mcculloch mac 15 which I only got the other day guy that had it had it taken apart, think its all there that would be the oldest. After that Stihl Contra/Lightning would be next. Have a variety of Stihl and Husqvarna mostly.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

ShyMets wrote: »
    My partner collects mugs from the various countries she's visited.

Its always struck me a slightly odd thing to do

I can resonate with that. I used to do that; every time I had a hot drink I would revisit happy memories. Even now I know where each mug I have came from etc. And I still have china from a set my mother gave me around 50 years ago, - and some I gave her from way before that. eg from a school trip to France as a teenager; Limoges tea set.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

At the moment i seem to be collecting infractions :rolleyes:

Furry felines aka cats.

I never intended to but we were not allowed pets as children apart from a budgie. Even then I found strays to feed..

Much later I bred and showed Siamese..

Now it is rescues... I have currently five of my own..... and the only other two cats on the island now "live" here too.

When I go for a walk, they follow me. They share my bed and keep me sane - and warm.

I could never be without them. I have moved so many times this last while and everything else I have gets decimated. But the cats adore me and are always here.

Anything else gets used etc so I have some sweet souvenirs. My coffee mug came from Schull and so on ) a soup mug actually!)

But cats it is...

scudzilla wrote: »
    At the moment i seem to be collecting infractions :rolleyes:

(((HUGS)))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭blade1

I suppose you could say I collect motorbikes.
    A bit expensive to have as many as I'd like though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Bongojohn

Vintage Star Wars. Had a few bits from a kid and started collecting around 15 years ago. Had it all displayed in a custom built shelving unit with lights etc but then the kids came along and that was the end of that. Still have it all though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Apoapsis Rex

Small few bushcraft / knives, axes and tobacco pipes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,644 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

blade1 wrote: »
    I suppose you could say I collect motorbikes.
    A bit expensive to have as many as I'd like though.

Do you have any FIreblades?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    Do you have any FIreblades?
    Have had several but got a bit bored with them.
    I had when I signed up to boards so you are on the ball! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,658 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Horror movie stuff. Have some really cool (imo) pieces that I've gathered over the years, a very respectable collection of autographs from various horror icons and just this weekend I spent the guts of £300 on 6 more. Will be something for the kids to have / sell when I pass on. Recently got into vinyl collecting too, don't even have a player at the moment. 90% of them are horror movie soundtracks and none of them will be opened but the artwork on them is stunning, again, something for the kids in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,459 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Vestiapx wrote: »
    Why

I don't know myself, but cellophane is a biological product, so may be liable to degrade and cause damage to the record.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,676 ✭✭✭buried

Vestiapx wrote: »
    Why

The cellophane wrapping is shrink wrapped, it will continue to shrink which could bend and warp the cover and ultimately the vinyl record inside

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

Advertisement