Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you collect anything?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Guy in work used collect bottles of chili / hot sauce - he had thousands of them all around the walls of his office - he was a bit of a genius really - everyone knew him for it and if anyone was going abroad he’d get them to bring him back one - and then take them out to lunch to thank them - he was a salesguy and this got him known and access to network around the building and subdivisions that would never have been available to him otherwise. Millionaire. Genuis. Noone knew anything about him but everyone knew about his hobby and hot chiii collection.

(This was back in the day before email & linkedIn)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

VHS camcorders with imaging tubes rather than solid state CCDs/CMOS sensors

Someone I know collects spoons from every country they have been to. They have them all framed and mounted on the wall (s) !

Someone gave me a set of spoons once. She had caused huge upset many years previous and I think it was her way of saying sorry. Spoons though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Someone I know collects spoons from every country they have been to. They have them all framed and mounted on the wall (s) !

Does he ever play them?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Select historical weapons and replicas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

Guy in work used collect bottles of chili / hot sauce - he had thousands of them all around the walls of his office - he was a bit of a genius really - everyone knew him for it and if anyone was going abroad he’d get them to bring him back one - and then take them out to lunch to thank them - he was a salesguy and this got him known and access to network around the building and subdivisions that would never have been available to him otherwise. Millionaire. Genuis. Noone knew anything about him but everyone knew about his hobby and hot chiii collection.

(This was back in the day before email & linkedIn)

thats actually a great story. thanks for sharing. and even more relevant after email and linkedin. people want the personality. linkedin seems like the biggest waste of anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Fridge magnets. If people go to places I ask them to get me one. I have loads, my mam collects them too so both our fridges are spectacular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

Books. But it makes moving house very difficult and I'm too lazy to keep packing and unpacking them every time I move, so they're all in boxes right now. They're fucking everywhere. Also, if anything 'happens' to me, it'll be a pain in the hoop for my family to have to clear them.

I've banned myself from buying any more and have begun re-boxing them in categories - academic books (cumulatively, they're probably worth a bit so I'll eventually sell them and donate the proceeds to charity), biographies, fiction, etc (when everything gets back to normal, I'll drop a few boxes of them off at Blackrock Hospice), ones I haven't got round to reading yet (I'll read them first and then donate them somewhere).

I'm aiming to own zero books by this time next year, except for whatever I happen to be reading at any given time.

Collecting stuff is terrible; it just gives people hard decisions to make when you die.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Renault 5

Perfumes, eau de toilette and Cologne

• Registered Users Posts: 16,459 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

.anon. wrote: »
    Books. But it makes moving house very difficult and I'm too lazy to keep packing and unpacking them every time I move, so they're all in boxes right now. They're fucking everywhere. Also, if anything 'happens' to me, it'll be a pain in the hoop for my family to have to clear them.

I've banned myself from buying any more and have begun re-boxing them in categories - academic books (cumulatively, they're probably worth a bit so I'll eventually sell them and donate the proceeds to charity), biographies, fiction, etc (when everything gets back to normal, I'll drop a few boxes of them off at Blackrock Hospice), ones I haven't got round to reading yet (I'll read them first and then donate them somewhere).

I'm aiming to own zero books by this time next year, except for whatever I happen to be reading at any given time.

Collecting stuff is terrible; it just gives people hard decisions to make when you die.

I thought the academic books would age quite rapidly, with new additions always appearing, and beyond 10 years, the entire syllabus gets upended.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

astrofool wrote: »
    I thought the academic books would age quite rapidly, with new additions always appearing, and beyond 10 years, the entire syllabus gets upended.

Most of them do, but the philosophy ones tend not to have loads of new additions and hold their value quite well.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭bewareofthedog

Super Nintendo stuff, picked up around 100 games over the years, boxed console etc. I haven't added anything to it in ages but there's always that itch.

Its an expensive habit but the games hold their value well and are easily resellable.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,459 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Most of them do, but the philosophy ones tend not to have loads of new additions and hold their value quite well.

I guess the hope in that field is that they do become irrelevant somehow :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Was an avid reader of various marvel comics back in the 80's. Really wish I'd taken care of them, had quite a collection until my teens when I foolishly decided it was all kid's stuff.

Had a decent collection of star wars and transformer toys as well. All thrown away. Who knew?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,324 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Books.

I've a Manchester United Opus, weighing in at something like 37kg - that's a pain to move between rooms, let alone houses....

Indeed even opening it is a challenge!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Jequ0n wrote: »

I have a de-act Spencer-Bannerman pump action from 1902.
    A fascinating side road into pump shotgun development.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Chainsaws bejasus!

Popular enough one, apparently. They were talking about the history of the chainsaw on Moncrieff’s show the other day.

The said the first one was invented to perform symphysiotomies on women during childbirth. A barbaric practice that was performed here until the mid to late 80s.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Popular enough one, apparently. They were talking about the history of the chainsaw on Moncrieff’s show the other day.

The said the first one was invented to perform symphysiotomies on women during childbirth. A barbaric practice that was performed here until the mid to late 80s.

This is probably the most comprehensive power-saw collectors site on the internet.
    Www.chainsawcollectors.se

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Jequ0n wrote: »
    Cool. I thought that was hard to do in Ireland legally? That's making the assumption you're in Ireland of course. :)
    Or if the stuff turns out to be worth a few bob or three one helluva knees up on the proceeds. :D
    Had a decent collection of star wars and transformer toys as well. All thrown away. Who knew?
    Very few, hence some of that stuff is worth a fair few quid. These days with so many "collectibles" being sold as such that'll be less in play I suspect, or the throwaway stuff now that will trigger nostalgia in a future generation will also be worth a few bob. That's happened in the past. There were always collectibles since the industrial revolution, even as far back as the printing press and even further back to tacky religious knick knacks that were sold at pilgrimage sites*. Most of which ended up in landfill and what didn't is mostly not worth much at all, or is worth a few quid for a particular generation and when they peg it, so does the value.

Stuff that tends to be consistently worth something and usually comes back into fashion and becomes even more valuable generally has one feature; it was expensive, rare enough and high quality when new. It may go out of fashion and bottom out in the market for a time, but usually comes back. High quality Art Nouveau and Deco stuff you couldn't give away for free for a long time, then it started to be rediscovered and values went up and up and up.

*Aside Johnny Gutenberg was involved in that get rich quick trade himself, but it went arsways and he ended up potless and that was what spurred into developing the movable type printing press. As you do.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

A good friend of mine ... her father collected guiness stuff.... and I mean seriously collected guiness stuff ....

As much as built a whole extension to his garage and opened it as a museum, he even bought a expensive road motorbike that was pretty old that was officially designed in guiness logos ...

Even local tv Station came out to do a piece on him

He would come over to Ireland a few times a year and visit loads of pubs looking for things on walls in pubs and offer landlords money for.

Anyway my friend was an only child and her mother died 10 years ago and her father died 2 years ago ....

One of the 1st things she did was auction all the guiness stuff off and then sold the whole family house and surroundings..

The father wasn't even cold id say .... she constantly kept telling him how it was a load of rubbish and was true to her word when she would often say that she was going to sell it all when he died ...

I did think she would sit on it a bit longer tho.

I find it funny because he'd be absolutly furious!!!!!! And he had a huge temper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,676 ✭✭✭buried

Vinyls over here

VjtWZgM.jpg

Hjn7Ga7.jpg

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Fridge magnets. If people go to places I ask them to get me one. I have loads, my mam collects them too so both our fridges are spectacular.
    I actually never considered fridge magnets. I've gotten loads of them over the years.

• Site Banned Posts: 109 ✭✭iagreebut

Fishing files, only use around 6 all year round...

But every year I buy different types, Bibio, Match brown, claret bumble, greenwells glory and black pennel and blue winged olive's...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Started buying records in 1981, CDs in 1986. Don’t intend to stop buying either format.

DVDs since 1998, BDs since 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

I think casette players are making a comeback especially the sony Walkmans of the 90s. Loads of people collecting them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

I actually never considered fridge magnets. I've gotten loads of them over the years.

Most are probably produced in the same factory over in China

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭triona1

Broken hearts.

Jars of hearts

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭triona1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Cats.

And empty wine bottles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,374 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I used to collect match programmes from football (gaa) games

Advertisement