Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Booze deals [Megathread #2]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,737 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

cheekypup wrote: »

Just in time for Lent, lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,893 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Advertising the legal loophole
    ttZeqkn.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

I see Tesco has reduced a lot of their craft beers to equivalent of what they were if they were bought as a multibuy offer. Most of the formerly 4 for a tenner are now 2:50 each.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,493 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Mimon wrote: »
    I see Tesco has reduced a lot of their craft beers to equivalent of what they were if they were bought as a multibuy offer. Most of the formerly 4 for a tenner are now 2:50 each.

Might be premature to know if this is a fixed reduction in their RRP ... I have seen Tesco reduce some prices for wines, without yellow stickers, for a short time, and then increase them again. Edit- these ones seem to have yellow stickers until Paddys Day.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

any good gin deals folks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,192 ✭✭✭highdef

Tesco had recently, and might still do, good deals on some gins including Gordons and Beefeater, both regular and other flavours @ €15 for a 70cl bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 DaveyWaveyLad

Saw Ha'Penny Dublin Dry Gin and Rhubarb Gin in Tesco last night reduced to €15 from €35.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Yellow Dog

Chianti Riserva DOCG down from €9.99 to €7.99 @LIDL It was exceptional value at €9.99, at €7.99 it is a bargain.

Just returned from Lidl and bought 6 bottles.
    Offer runs from February 18th to 24th.

Also got 6 bottles of Viajero Malbec Reserva.
    Reduced from €7.86 to €4.71
    This offer runs February 18th - 21st.

Saw a beer new to me.
    Festbier 5.5% €1.49.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,893 ✭✭✭✭zell12

That is silly value

• Registered Users Posts: 28,493 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Yellow Dog wrote: »

Thanks for the heads-up. The Chianti reduction is on the website, but these wines of the week deals don't seem to be listed on the LIDL website or leaflet.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

In the market for a case of Chablis as a big birthday gift. Have checked O'Briens, Molloy's, Mitchells, The Wine Buff, anyone got any other recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Yellow Dog

Yellow Dog wrote: »

Saw a beer new to me.
    Festbier 5.5% €1.49.

Just had a few cans of Festbier and find it very nice.
    And it is part of the Perlenbacher range.
    https://www.google.ie/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Funtappd.akamaized.net%2Fphotos%2F2019_09_03%2Fc8208d1e1f725f2e8f19827defbe3dbd_640x640.jpg&imgrefurl=https%3A%2F%2Funtappd.com%2Fb%2Flidl-deutschland-germany-perlenbacher-festbier-2017%2F2442377&tbnid=rEt5DIh9q6P3mM&vet=10CAMQxiAoAGoXChMIiJS65JL07gIVAAAAAB0AAAAAEA0..i&docid=HfdgtHShbFhkuM&w=640&h=640&itg=1&q=festbier%20lidl&ved=0CAMQxiAoAGoXChMIiJS65JL07gIVAAAAAB0AAAAAEA0

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

Was in there recently and they were very expensive.
    Most 2.70 ,some over 3.00 .
    Good to hear they are coming down.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I don't know if it was mentioned previously but I've noticed a bit difference in craft beer can prices between two Spars near me in Cabra. The one in Cabra village sells the cans at the price that would have matched the 4 for €10 previously (€2.50), and the Spar at 17 shops charges €3 per can, same as before the changes.

I thought all the shops would be synced up but clearly not.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

zell12 wrote: »
    Advertising the legal loophole
    ttZeqkn.png

What exactly is the loophole?

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭NinetyForNone

The Public Health (Alcohol) Act 2018 (Sale and Supply of
    Alcohol Products) Regulations were signed into law on 9
    January 2020. These regulations, which come into effect
    from 11 January 2021, will:
    • prohibit short term (3 days or less) price promotions
    on alcohol products.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

If you search craft beer and sort by price you can see them, biggest reduction is Krombacher down from 3.04

https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/product/search/default.aspx?searchBox=craft+beer&originalSearchTerm=freetext

I would not call it a loophole at all, there is nothing sneaky going on against the spirit of the law. There is nobody in government feeling like idiots going "ah they copped on to a way around the law".

The law says you cannot sell alcohol from 10pm to 10.30am, I would not call selling it at 10.30 to be a loophole!

If they mysteriously sold out of those beers on offer on the first day and had none on the shelves for the remaining 3 and you could clearly see pallets of them in the stock room, then I would call that a loophole.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Glendalough Rose Gin (70 cl)

Tesco - €15 (reduced from €35)

For comparison it's €39 in Supervalu

https://shop.supervalu.ie/shopping/wine-beer-spirits-gin-glendalough-rose-70-cl-/p-1655933000

PS - I dont know if its any good. Saw it while picking some of the whiskys in offer @ €20.

Saw Ha'Penny Dublin Dry Gin and Rhubarb Gin in Tesco last night reduced to €15 from €35.

The original is one of the nicest gins going. The rhubarb one is an acquired taste, I'd normally suggest trying it in a pub first but sure....

€15 is for nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,708 ✭✭✭ablelocks

The Public Health (Alcohol) Act 2018 (Sale and Supply of
    Alcohol Products) Regulations were signed into law on 9
    January 2020. These regulations, which come into effect
    from 11 January 2021, will:
    • prohibit short term (3 days or less) price promotions
    on alcohol products.

there is no "loophole"

the centra offer is for 4 days - 18, 19, 20, 21 Feb

• Registered Users Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Doesn't seem to apply to foxes rock (2.65) or mcgargles (2.90) but does apply to O'Haras, Erdinger, Smithwicks, Sam Adams, birra moretti (660ml) Weihenstephaner, Guinness fancy series, Paulaner and Krombacher,

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭IQO

12 bottles of Sol Mexican beer at Tesco for 11.24 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

coldfire1x wrote: »
    Glendalough Rose Gin (70 cl)

Tesco - €15 (reduced from €35)

For comparison it's €39 in Supervalu

https://shop.supervalu.ie/shopping/wine-beer-spirits-gin-glendalough-rose-70-cl-/p-1655933000

PS - I dont know if its any good. Saw it while picking some of the whiskys in offer @ €20.
    anyone else try this gin?

Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

rubadub wrote: »
    If you search craft beer and sort by price you can see them, biggest reduction is Krombacher down from 3.04

https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/product/search/default.aspx?searchBox=craft+beer&originalSearchTerm=freetext

I would not call it a loophole at all, there is nothing sneaky going on against the spirit of the law. There is nobody in government feeling like idiots going "ah they copped on to a way around the law".

The law says you cannot sell alcohol from 10pm to 10.30am, I would not call selling it at 10.30 to be a loophole!

If they mysteriously sold out of those beers on offer on the first day and had none on the shelves for the remaining 3 and you could clearly see pallets of them in the stock room, then I would call that a loophole.

Maybe because they never did 4 day offers before but are doing it now, it was traditionally weekend offers, can’t do that now so has to be 4 days minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,875 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

fin12 wrote: »
    Maybe because they never did 4 day offers before but are doing it now, it was traditionally weekend offers, can’t do that now so has to be 4 days minimum.

It’s still not a loophole. And it seems a number here are confused as to what a loophole actually is. It is a technicality that allows a person or business to avoid the scope of a law or restriction without directly violating the law.
    This law was introduced to do a few things including to stop 3 day promotions. An example of a loophole would be where somebody was able to find a way of having a 3 day promotion but didn’t break the law. Maybe there is a way, maybe there is not, but let’s fire out a made up example.
    Maybe the law has been worded in such a way that if you are a restaurant the law won’t apply to you so the off licence now buys the empty shop next door and opens a restaurant where is does 3 day promotions on a different bottle of wine every weekend.
    That is a loophole

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Seve OB wrote: »
    It’s still not a loophole. And it seems a number here are confused as to what a loophole actually is. It is a technicality that allows a person or business to avoid the scope of a law or restriction without directly violating the law.
    This law was introduced to do a few things including to stop 3 day promotions. An example of a loophole would be where somebody was able to find a way of having a 3 day promotion but didn’t break the law. Maybe there is a way, maybe there is not, but let’s fire out a made up example.
    Maybe the law has been worded in such a way that if you are a restaurant the law won’t apply to you so the off licence now buys the empty shop next door and opens a restaurant where is does 3 day promotions on a different bottle of wine every weekend.
    That is a loophole

Jeez man you’re being pedantic as f*ck here.

A law was brought in to stop short term offers and shops just made their offers slightly longer.

It might not be the exact definition of a loophole but you know what posters are getting at when they refer to it as such.

The morale of the story is: people were worried that booze offers would be restricted going forward and are now happy that shops have found a workaround

• Registered Users Posts: 45,313 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

It's not a loophole. It's just a law that can be easily bypassed by moving the goalposts.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭dodzy

Who gives a shîte. Seriously, what compels people to talk so much crap on threads, incessant debating on this and that, lending SFA to the content.

Anyone spot Bud slabs on their travels for less than €27 ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭Hoboo

6 wrote: »
    It's not a loophole. It's just a law that can be easily bypassed by moving the goalposts.

Loophole: an ambiguity or inadequacy in the law or a set of rules.

You just described a loophole.

Advertisement