Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Booze deals [Megathread #2]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,893 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Aldi
    Guinness 8x500ml e10
    Carlsberg 8x500ml e10

Prosecco Frizzante 750ml e6

• Registered Users Posts: 15,875 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

okidoki987 wrote: »
    Lidl have 40% off Chardonnay Colombard, €5.89 down to €3.53.

lid-chard.jpg

At 5.99 is must be muck.
    At 3.53 it’s probably no better than vinegar

• Registered Users Posts: 28,492 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Seve OB wrote: »
    At 5.99 is must be muck.

At that price I would be prepared to find out!

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,620 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

At 5.99 is must be muck.

If you buy and don't like, you could use it for cooking?

a chef is only as good as his ingredients :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,192 ✭✭✭highdef

Graham Norton Prosecco, €7 in Tesco

• Registered Users Posts: 7,897 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

At 5.99 is must be muck.

You may know a lot more about wine than the people responsible for producing and buying millions of bottles of wine aimed at the lower end of the market but I very much doubt it.

You would probably be very surprised at the attention to detail imposed upon the standards expected of the cheapest bulk produced wine on the market, and, I also have no doubt whatsoever you would be shocked at the standards that were in place for producing some of the more sought after labels which now fetch a premium price.

In case of any doubt I'm referring to the difference between a product created in massive quantities sold at a minimum profit margin under the careful watch of scientists to ensure consistency in taste and a product made without the use of modern pressing machinery bereft of any hygeine standards or controls.

You would be surprised to hear the stories of the people who actually crushed the grapes with their feet to produce your favourite wine in the chateau they stumbled upon while rambling around France looking for menial work in the 80's.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭J_A_F_A

No. If it's not good enough to drink it's no good for cooking. (YMMV)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,492 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

So taste verdict on the LIDL €3.53 Chardonnay / Colombard from Australia.

It doesn't taste like paint stripper or varnish or vinegar, tastes more like a 5% spritzer tbh you would think it has some mineral water in there. Given it's 12.5% and how easy it is to drink, a bottle could disappear very quickly.
    Maybe add an orange or lemon wedge in it to give it a bit more flavour.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,544 ✭✭✭✭elperello

A supermarket is selling a wine for €5.89 and presumably people are buying it.

If they then decide to discount it to €3.53 that's a Booze Deal end of story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Champagne just under 17 euro in Lidl. I picked up a bottle will update with taste. The cava was 11 so for the sake of a bit more said I'd chance the champers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

elperello wrote:

The only people making money on it at that price are the Revenue Commission but if there's enough left over to put something drinkable in a bottle then good luck to all involved, especially whoever is drinking it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,447 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

elperello wrote: »
    A supermarket is selling a wine for €5.89 and presumably people are buying it.

That does not even cover the tax, let alone the bottle, and the wine.

Duty is €4.25 per litre plus VAT. That equates to €3.85. Bottle and wine plus VAT on those is extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭davydoc

Captain Morgans Spiced original 70cl - €18 - was €29 last week - think it's same price in Tesco...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

That champagne is tasty! I should have bought a few bottles at that price. Yum

The Lidl one I'm on about. Probably back to full price now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

As Keith Floyd said, if you cant drink it why would you cook with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭dubstepper

€10 for 8 carlsberg in tesco

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Just poured a can of Kilkenny, absolutely delicious. Only bought the one which I think was over €2 but will buy a pack next time. Anyone know the best offer for Kilkenny?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,423 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

fin12 wrote: »
    Just poured a can of Kilkenny, absolutely delicious. Only bought the one which I think was over €2 but will buy a pack next time. Anyone know the best offer for Kilkenny?

Never on offer to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,620 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

MAULBROOK wrote: »
    As Keith Floyd said, if you cant drink it why would you cook with it.

Who said you can't drink it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭undertaker fan 88

Any deals on guinness at the mo? Looking for a slab or 2

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭keredern

That champagne is tasty! I should have bought a few bottles at that price. Yum

The Lidl one I'm on about. Probably back to full price now

That Lidl champagne is gorgeous!

I've been buying it for years & love it. :)

Only Bollinger out does it & I rarely get to drink that!! Lol. :D

Thanks for posting the price - I went out especially today to pick up three bottles!

That, and some delicious 'Valentine' strawberries! :rolleyes:

That'll keep me happy for the week at least!! ;)

I used to drink that when it came out probably 25 years ago. Didn’t think they still made it, must look out for it, I can remember it to much. Maybe like a cross between Smithwicks and Guinness?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

I used to drink that when it came out probably 25 years ago. Didn’t think they still made it, must look out for it, I can remember it to much. Maybe like a cross between Smithwicks and Guinness?

I picked it up in Dunnes . It really is very nice, yes like a red ale stout, delicious.

There’s a widget in the can.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,737 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Any deals on guinness at the mo? Looking for a slab or 2

(€30 a slab) €10 for 8 cans in Tesco and as far as I know Aldi at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

I picked it up in Dunnes . It really is very nice, yes like a red ale stout, delicious.

There’s a widget in the can.

I have never seen this on offer.
    Always 2.50 or so a can or worse.
    Lovely stuff, but beware the hangover

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

I'm probably a little late posting this but LIDL in Stillorgan had Jameson 70cl for 24.99 (I'm not sure of the pence actually)
    I got it on Friday.
    Edited to say no Jameson in Greystones branch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Kilkenny was a victim of the widget shortage there for a while, they seem to be coming back now. Only ever seem to be any in Carry Out, and not cheap (€61 for a slab!)

Is delish though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,423 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

2ndcoming wrote: »
    Kilkenny was a victim of the widget shortage there for a while, they seem to be coming back now. Only ever seem to be any in Carry Out, and not cheap (€61 for a slab!)

Is delish though.

I've never seen a slab of Kilkenny.
    It's on the low popularity shelf, along with ritz, satzenbrau, newcastle brown etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,000 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I've never seen Kilkenny on offer, but ya its a cracking drink

Advertisement