Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Universe is AWESOME!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,474 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Anyone know why the camera images are so poor and kind of like looking through a door viewer on your front door?
    You'd have thought they'd put proper high res cameras on it.

They were very first Images after landing. That particular camera not meant for high quality but it was the quickest they got back so they shared them. Much better images will be released later tonight apparently.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,747 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

They were very first Images after landing. That particular camera not meant for high quality but it was the quickest they got back so they shared them. Much better images will be released later tonight apparently.
    and those cameras still had their covers that protected them during landing on.

It's amazing how technology marches on.
    You can get 64MP cameras on mid level Chinese smartphones these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,040 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Well,I don't know about you, but I could murder a curry.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Is that true? Its mind bending

Apparently so. Most of those galaxies are billions of light years away and so the shift in view would be in the order of up to 13,900,000,000 light years vs 80 years. Very small basically.

In reality those far away galaxies are accelerating away from us faster than light so they would grow fainter as time goes on.

But even if they were not moving relative to us, you would barely see a change in 80 years travelled at 186,000 miles per second.

Side note to get a sense of scales: 1 million seconds = 12 days. 1 billion seconds is over 31 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Andrewf20 wrote: »
    In reality those far away galaxies are accelerating away from us faster than light so they would grow fainter as time goes on.

?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,641 ✭✭✭✭josip

Kivaro wrote: »
    ?

If it's going in the opposite direction to us at more than half the speed of light and we're going more than half the speed of light then relative to us, it's going faster than the speed of light.

Ken M.

josip wrote: »
    If it's going in the opposite direction to us at more than half the speed of light and we're going more than half the speed of light then relative to us, it's going faster than the speed of light.

Ken M.
    Ah yeah. Thanks Ken.
    I thought I woke up to an alternative Universe for a brief moment.
    And yes, our Universe is awesome. It's the best one out there.

EunANnmVcAAQNEc?format=jpg&name=large

Eum9z6TVEAAjZOT?format=jpg&name=large

• Registered Users Posts: 13,821 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Maybe it's just me, but the rocks on the surface of Mars are peppered with holes (as per the track pic above), and I think that's fascinating. Don't know why, there's only 2 known possible explanations!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,747 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Maybe it's just me, but the rocks on the surface of Mars are peppered with holes (as per the track pic above), and I think that's fascinating. Don't know why, there's only 2 known possible explanations!
    Another rover drilled them for samples already ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,821 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Another rover drilled them for samples already ?

He's been a busy rover then! Persaverance's latest pic is exactly what I was thinking!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭boardise

Uranus is awesome.

I was wondering about that Black Hole myself......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭boardise

"Humans are actually made from stardust"

... or "nuclear waste" if you look at it another way.

I remember Carl Sagan saying in his TV series COSMOS many millions of seconds ago

" we are star stuff " .

The phrase stopped me in my tracks as I tried to ponder the enormity of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

boardise wrote: »
    I was wondering about that Black Hole myself......

tenor.gif?itemid=18064539

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

boardise wrote: »
    I remember Carl Sagan saying in his TV series COSMOS many millions of seconds ago

" we are star stuff " .

The phrase stopped me in my tracks as I tried to ponder the enormity of it.

In fairness, he’s no Moby.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,528 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 neutral bystander

I don't feel like its that awesome at the moment.

I have a solution to this problem - buy a telescope!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,405 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 neutral bystander

I have a solution to this problem - buy a telescope!

Ye I might. Maybe it could give me some perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Someone doesnt know a galaxy from their solar system....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

auspicious wrote: »

I love this, it gives perspective on how insignificant we really are, all the gold in the world is of no use to any man on his deathbed.

Carl Sagan: A true legend of a man.

Following up on that, as it was a common question on Google:
    "Some of the rocks appear curiously pitted. In a separate, close-up they are clearly riddled with small holes which geologists call “vugs.” On Earth there are a number of ways such holes can form. If the rock is sedimentary, the holes can be carved out by water flowing through the rock and dissolving various minerals. But if the rock is volcanic in origin, gas bubbles that erupt from lava as it solidifies can produce similar looking features."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

I really wish they wouldn't anthropomorphise the rovers. I always think of that depressing XKCD comic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Detritus70

The universe is still awesome, but this planet isn't, because it's entirely inhabited by people.

Advertisement