Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Boggers Log

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Alberto Salazar tried to change Alan Webb’s running style/gait and ruined what was at the time USA’s greatest middle distance talent. Your no Alan Webb, but don’t be trying to change what comes naturally to you, change isn’t always a good thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

OOnegative wrote: »
    Alberto Salazar tried to change Alan Webb’s running style/gait and ruined what was at the time USA’s greatest middle distance talent. Your no Alan Webb, but don’t be trying to change what comes naturally to you, change isn’t always a good thing.

Have to B.

Fair point but the Back won’t stand the constipated duck waddle.

Need glutes and core to fire and stop the hips swaying

It’s incredibly difficult and progress is frustratingly slow.

On the positive side I think I posted here last year that my running days were over, now I’m heading for 100 straight days running and have delusions on another marathon assault

TbL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Thought about commenting, then thought better not, then thought why not...

Youre a more season runner than I am and have been around a lot longer than me but I just wanted to touch on the running style and you trying to fix it.

You're right to do as much s&c as you can fit in and address your historical hip and psoas issues... But one thing I would say is maybe not to over think the running style you have. I used to think the same, then after a few years with the boss I can honestly say I'm a far cry from what I used to be. I think you have to have faith in the process. What I mean by that is you'll probably see a tonne of stuff from L at MP and slower. Loads of aerobic base building. You put those weeks together consistently and the form tends to correct itself. Strides, hills etc all add to it.

I guess what I'm saying is that the supplementary stuff is good. But it's the long term consistency that will just naturally correct a lot of that....

Or I could be talking out of my hole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

I changed the way I ran all the way back in 2007 after hearing Catriona McKiernan giving an interview on off the ball or whatever it was called back then. I was living in Galway at the time so was doing some extra running for what still is my only half marathon in Connamara.

She was espousing Chi running and using Kenyan runners as an example. Without having read up on it or even seen a picture I changed from heel striking to midfoot landing. I remember my calves were killed in the early days but I stuck with it and that's the way I run now. I used to bounce more off the road and was probably much less efficient so I think it's stood to me long term. I'm by no means an efficient runner but believe that made a big improvement for me. However I'd imagine the the risk of injury is increased in the initial stages of a significant change even if long term it might end up reducing the risk.

Thought about commenting, then thought better not, then thought why not...

Youre a more season runner than I am and have been around a lot longer than me but I just wanted to touch on the running style and you trying to fix it.

You're right to do as much s&c as you can fit in and address your historical hip and psoas issues... But one thing I would say is maybe not to over think the running style you have. I used to think the same, then after a few years with the boss I can honestly say I'm a far cry from what I used to be. I think you have to have faith in the process. What I mean by that is you'll probably see a tonne of stuff from L at MP and slower. Loads of aerobic base building. You put those weeks together consistently and the form tends to correct itself. Strides, hills etc all add to it.

I guess what I'm saying is that the supplementary stuff is good. But it's the long term consistency that will just naturally correct a lot of that....

Or I could be talking out of my hole.

Thanks P

If you ever get to see me running in the flesh you’ll be shocked at how ugly and nasty the form is. My left hip drifts to the left, right shoulder drops so that I’m shaped almost like a bloody banana! The hips move the glutes don’t fire and pressure/tension is put on the S1/L5.

I’ve been through numerous marathon training cycles and probably slightly improve but nowhere near enough.

My issue is that with Spondylolisthesis if I don’t correct it my running days are numbered. (Most people with Spondy are advised not to run at all)

I need to do everything I can to take pressure and stress off the spine.

I’m determined to change it, improve glute and core strength to prolong my running.

The downside is that I’m continually sore/achey from other muscles that heretofore haven’t worked/fired.

TbL

• Advertisement

I changed the way I ran all the way back in 2007 after hearing Catriona McKiernan giving an interview on off the ball or whatever it was called back then. I was living in Galway at the time so was doing some extra running for what still is my only half marathon in Connamara.

She was espousing Chi running and using Kenyan runners as an example. Without having read up on it or even seen a picture I changed from heel striking to midfoot landing. I remember my calves were killed in the early days but I stuck with it and that's the way I run now. I used to bounce more off the road and was probably much less efficient so I think it's stood to me long term. I'm by no means an efficient runner but believe that made a big improvement for me. However I'd imagine the the risk of injury is increased in the initial stages of a significant change even if long term it might end up reducing the risk.

Thanks DG

I’d often though of having a look at that as well (actually remember adverts for her course in Galway) but never got around to it.

People might think I’m joking but even small kids mock my running style!!!

I’ve had a functional movement assessment and that was very enlightening. I’ll have another one soon to gauge progress.

I’ve run ****e for 50 plus years so if it takes a year or two to make some improvements I’ll keep going.

If the back breaks down a spinal fusion beckons

TbL

Happy enough with the way training is going and the body in general. Great to have your runs given to you and not have to worry about if you’re on the right track or not. Getting pissed off with the lack of racing opportunities and lockdowns as I feel I’m close to a running date and availing of Senor Healys pacing services for a sub 20 attempt.

Tipping along with core and trying to get more glute work done but I haven’t gotten that right yet.

Can feel marginal improvements in my running form (although when I meet Tang he’ll dissuade me of that :)) and for the first time ever I think my walnut like glute is starting to fire.

Heading towards 100th straight day running, which is a blessing I never thought possible. Convinced I can now handle a smart marathon program for another lash at the distance hopefully in Spain later this year. Plenty of work to do before that though.

Sun: brought the young lad up to the pitch for a kick about, I use that term loosely coz trying for “top bins” and mazy dribbling in your 50’s is a bit silly! Was stiff before I even started the planned 8 mile easy but the sun was out and warm and I shuffled along like an auld monitor lizard catching rays and Vit D! 8 miles @ 8.39

Mon: don’t know why but I hate Mondays runs. Planned 40 mins easy. Horrible stiff and rigid plod with a big thick head on me.
    4m @ 9.18

Tue: planned 40 min progression. Felt stiff and like I was taxidermised. Daughter offered to keep me company on part of it, 50/50 between very easy and steady.
    5 mile @ 9.07

Wed: planned session wu/cd 1/2/3/2/1 mins on/off paces 6.40/7.15.
    Jogged up to the Pitch which isn’t in great condition. Very misty/foggy out so I’d to be extra vigilant watching where I was turning. Managed the session fine, the only thing I struggled a bit with was the transition from faster to steady. Usually when I do faster stuff the brakes come on and the recovery is a jog crawl, took a while to acclimatise but all in all managed it with no issues

Thur: Easy progression. 5.2 miles @ 8.13. Wind on last bit made this a bit harder than I would have expected

Fri: plan easy 40 mins. My daughter had to do a ladies GA base fitness test, run 2.4k so I incorporated this into my run. Lively warm day for it and we did a mile warm up before starting an out and back for 2.4k. She ran it really well and managed to go well under 12 mins. The difference since last March with her running is incredible. From shouting matches to get her out she now goes out at least 5 times a week and ran 21k on her own in around 2 hours 10 mins. I’m delighted and it’s great to see.

4.2 @ 9.06

Sat: planned 3 x 1 mile @ 7.15 off 2 min plus 800+400+400m @ 6.50 off 90 secs.

Again managed this fine, paces: (7.09,7.12,7.10): (6.41,6.36,6.54)

Sun: planned 8 miles easy and all going swimmingly until a local young GA lad passed me at pace with a grunt. I must be hard wired wrong because a flick went off in my head and I upped it to catch him :(.

Caught him after a bit and pushed it a tiny bit just because...was happy to see he was labouring so we stayed together for a couple of miles. Daft stuff and not hard to spot where he went by!
    10.12/10.21/9.19/8.55/7.05/7.01/7.37/7.21

TbL

Ps. Thanks again MrMacP, that stuff is excellent

He's too nice, but the boss really should give you a bolloc*ing for that Sunday run! Lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

10:12 down to 7:01 :eek:

S would have my guts for garter ;)

10:12 down to 7:01 :eek:

S would have my guts for garter ;)

Stop stirring :)

Save your garter for your running ensemble:)

TbL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

TbL

I presume its orange as well...:eek:

TbL

Who me:P

Wouldn't be a bad idea to store my gels in :pac:

skyblue46 wrote: »
    I presume its orange as well...:eek:

All will be revealed when I race again :P:D

All will be revealed when I race again :P:D

I want photos!!!!!

I want photos!!!!!

Settle yourself...we don't want you frothing :pac::pac:

I want photos!!!!!

It will probably just blend in with the orange tan anyway :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Huge respect for your comeback. To see you are about to hit 100 days on the trot from where you were last year shows some great character and resilience.

Huge respect for your comeback. To see you are about to hit 100 days on the trot from where you were last year shows some great character and resilience.

Hey thanks D

Kinda surprised myself, even at my age I’m still learning about my body and how to manage it. If I listened to some of the professional advice I initially received I wouldn’t be running now. Sometimes being a thick, competitive grumpy auld git has its advantages:)

TbL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,484 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Nothing wrong with your competitiveness anyway. What did GA lad make of it all, I wonder?

Have to admit I’ve done that myself once or twice. Bit had it done to me too.

Another week completed and all went to plan, no dramas and comfortable enough.

Starting to get extreme lockdown fatigue and the sooner we can get back to some sort of normality the better. Poor weather doesn’t help. I’ve been trying to do different things to break the monotony, but haven’t really stuck at it, tried winter sea swimming but nearly had a heart attack and gave it up. Tried learning Spanish but without the prospect of asking AMK in person “donde esta la Vaseline” I lost motivation and gave up. Tried a bit of baking, the family made me give that up :( Tried improving my computer skills but the last computer I was proficient on was a Commodore 64 and I gave that up too!

I’m still bbq’ing 3/4 nights a week and reading a bit more. Just finished Shelby Footes massive US Civil War trilogy, great if a very long read. I’ve walked the dog every day since we got him last March. I’ve grown a Tom Hanks Castaway beard!

If it wasn’t for running I’d be driven cracked!

Monday: post physioterrorist very easy plod. Hate Monday runs and this was awful, felt battered and rigid.

Plan 40 mins easy: 4 miles @ 9.07

Tue: plan 40 min progression. Still a bit tired from previous Sundays over exertion and given my daughter wanted to come I was happy with another 4 miles easy.

Wed: plan, wu/cd with 4/3/2/1 min on/off starting at 7.10 down to 6.40 and a controlled effort for the off. Jogged up to the ploughed field (pitch) and got stuck in. Managed this a lot more comfortably than I thought and kept the off controlled and around 7.20-7.30 pace. Jogged home for 6 miles in total.

Thur: 40 mins progression. Managed this fairly handy, started at 8.45 and worked down to 7.45. Just over 5 miles and an argument with a dick on a motorised bicycle who nearly ran me over!

Friday: plan 40 mins easy, ran with my daughter, enjoyable easy jaunt.

Sat: plan was same as last Saturday. wu/cd 3 x 1 mile @ 7.15 off 2 mins plus 800, 400, 400 @ 6.50 off 90 seconds. Had to do a bit of a detour to put the chain back on my young lads bike but managed this comfortably. (The run getting the chain was harder!) Wind was against me for the first two miles but was never under pressure here and made it home in plenty of time to watch Stoke play out another boring draw!

Sun: same as last Sunday 8 miles easy. Learned my lesson from last week and if Scarlet Johansson passed me in a lycra bodysuit I was sticking to my own pace :)

Very cold out and had to resort to arse hand warming on occasions!

Just over 8.5 miles @ 8.28 and another week of almost 40 miles.

TbL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Tried learning Spanish but without the prospect of asking AMK in person “donde esta la Vaseline” I lost motivation and gave up.
    TbL

:):)

People won't believe our stories!!

Maybe taking a break from Stoke-watching would perk up your lockdown. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Lockdown blues seems to be high right now. I signed up for a course in graphic design 3 weeks ago and have only looked at the introductory video :rolleyes:. Personally I think the weather is the issue but also this damn 5k limit which is starting to feel like a noose!

At least your running is going well!

I agree, this lockdown has mentally been the toughest from anyone I have spoken to. Fair play for trying out all the different things but by the sounds of it, probably best to stick to the running :pac:

Good humour as always in your log:D

The only acceptable way for a male to be seen in tights...

TbL

The only acceptable way for a male to be seen in tights...

TbL

Hanging from the ceiling? :confused:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Physioterrorist :pac:

Mon: plan 40 mins easy. This was my 100th straight day running, first time I’ve ever managed that! Drove up to the pitch and got 5 miles of monotonous laps done @ 8.49

Tue: plan another 40 mins easy. Back up to the pitch (trying to do some more miles on the grass as I’ve noticed I’ve started to do most of my miles on the road and the back probably benefits from the softer surface). My daughter came with me and she decided she was going to do some sprints. Was sorely tempted to join in but decided to be sensible for once and stick to the plan so while she sprinted I plodded out just over 5 miles @ 8.43

Wed: plan wu/cd 5x3 mins @ 6.50 off 90 seconds plus 4 x 30 seconds @ 6.30 off 90 secs. Jogged up to the pitch for this and managed it comfortably enough although the sprints we done by feel and came out too fast.

7.6 miles

Did over an hour stretching and rolling in the evening

Thur: plan was for 40 min progression, weather was very stormy and my daughter came with me so I changed this to easy miles. Got 5 miles very easy in.

Fri: plan was for 40 mins easy, but given I’d missed yesterday’s progression and my daughter was doing a school virtual 5k I decided to go with her and get some steadier miles done. Got a mile wu/cd and a 5k around 8.00 min pace. Daughter happy as that was a 5k PB.

Sat: plan wu/cd 2+1 mile @ 7.15 off 2 mins plus 800+400+400 @ 6.50 off 90 seconds. Gale like winds made this hard to manage especially the last parts and I really struggled to hit the pace for the last bits. 6.7 miles in total.

Sun: plan easy miles. Even windier than yesterday so I just went with the flow and plodded to just over 8.5 miles @ 8.43

Total miles for week was 43 and I’ve been fairly consistent the last few weeks.

I’m going to try and phase out my orthotics but I’ll need to do it gradually as I’m dealing with enough moving parts as it is. Thanks to Waldorf (aka FerrisB) for some pointers on this

TbL

I stopped using orthotics over 3.5 years ago to C, haven’t looked back since.

• Advertisement

You didn’t mention anything about buying the magic shoes.

Murph_D wrote: »
    You didn’t mention anything about buying the magic shoes.

Ffs D!

I was waiting to ensure they worked first :)

You leak worse than the White House Press Office!

TbL

Ffs D!

TbL

Do spill... black I presume;)

Ffs D!

TbL

OOPS!

Do spill... black I presume;)

They only came in abomination colours so I’ve also ordered a bucket of currach pitching tar to cover them...:)

TbL

Mon & Tue: plan was for 40 mins easy both days. Had the physioterrorist on Monday and I always feel awful after it, completely battered. Usually alway struggle through Monday runs anyway and this just compounds it. Struggle to get out the door but I managed over 5 miles around 10 min pace. Tuesday I usually see the benefits of the physios act of terror and indeed the body felt better, my daughter joined me for a chat and another easy 5 miles again around the 10 min pace. Before my injury I would rarely run over 9 min pace and I’d have considered 10 min almost like a fast walk. Age and injuries have taught me that recovery days should be super easy!

Wed: plan was for wu/cd with 16 min fartlek 8 on/off + 6 sprints 30 seconds on/off.

I was a bit apprehensive of this and there was a near gale blowing as I jogged up to the pitch. I decided to try 6.30 pace on and 7.15 off. This session flew by and I managed it handy enough and in decent control even the sprints where I usually end up running like I’m trying to keep a hola hoop up :)

Jogged home for around 6.5 miles in total.

My magic carpets arrived, quare looking yokes in a dubious colour. Think I can give up the training now sure the shoes have Murph bate already :)

Might have a lash at a mile TT at the weekend

TbL

• Advertisement

Hahaha the black paint beside them. Scullion would be proud. Those are the Alphafly yeah? I'm sorry I just can't picture you in them....

Looks like you’re finally getting around to the decorating!

Mile TT - are you sure that’s a good idea. Target?

Btw Ferris is TTing same weekend as me. Might be a better target for you. ;)

Those abomination of shoes....never again pass judgement on tights, shoelace colour or sock colour.... I'm so disappointed

Hahaha the black paint beside them. Scullion would be proud. Those are the Alphafly yeah? I'm sorry I just can't picture you in them....

Yes they are.

I actually accidentally bought TWO pairs of them (one in hideous orange) I thought the payment didn’t go through so went through the process again!!!

I tried them on and the kids fell around laughing :)

There’s also a strange twacking sound outta them but that might be coz of the fat fcuker sticking out of them :)

I can’t remember running in any other shoe apart from a Zoom Vomero so it should be interesting...

TbL

Get the fu@k... you can never, ever, ever comment on my gear again!

• Advertisement

Murph_D wrote: »
    Looks like you’re finally getting around to the decorating!

Mile TT - are you sure that’s a good idea. Target?

Btw Ferris is TTing same weekend as me. Might be a better target for you. ;)

I’d only do the TT if L signs off on it.

As to a target not really sure, I’ve never run a mile in 5.45 or under so we’ll see...

I’m no decorator, does paint go off..:)

TbL

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Those abomination of shoes....never again pass judgement on tights, shoelace colour or sock colour.... I'm so disappointed

They are for research purposes only and will soon be covered in a more acceptable manly colour.

They could also quiet quickly go up on eBay :)

TbL

My mile PB is 5:39. Just sayin. ;)

Careful now!

That whacking sound is normal. And led to one of my more irritating pacing gigs for a buddy of mine. The most god awful clomping sound to run beside.

Get the fu@k... you can never, ever, ever comment on my gear again!

:)

I think mine are classified as medical aids...:)

Whereas when you go out the door it’s a cross between Vogue and Runners World:)

TbL

:)

I think mine are classified as medical aids...:)

Whereas when you go out the door it’s a cross between Vogue and Runners World:)

TbL

Nope not buying it... I clearly have inspired you to embrace colour... next you'll be buying matching tops & socks ;)

Brave man wearing those shoes around the roads of Connemara, Sean Phaddy Col Maidhc will be giving you dogs abuse........

Thur: plan called for 40 mins easy. Starting to get a bit pissed off with the same routes day after day! Checked my 5k radius on the web and saw that Rossaveal was comfortably within it so drove over with my daughter parked up and got 4 miles easy done @ 9.44

Fri: plan called for 40 min progression but I was feeling a little stiff and with one eye on a potential mile TT on Sunday I just did 5 miles easy to steady @ 8.47

Sat: plan was for 20 mins easy. Monsoon rain early and a Stoke game at 3pm meant it was after 5 by the time I waddled out to get a gentle 5k done.

Sun: plan was for a wu/cd 1 mile TT, 8 min rest or jog, 2 miles @ 7.15, 3 min jog 4 x 90 seconds @ 6.50 off 60 secs.

Body was a little stiff and I was unsure if I’d tackle this at all. Walked the dog early morning as usual and went back to bed till 12! Had breakfast/brunch and then did some stretching before deciding to at least try the TT. During the week I’d 5.45 pace in my head but by lunchtime today I’d talked myself outta that.

Plan was to do it over near Rossaveal where there is a decent wide tar footpath and usually less traffic and pedestrians. Wore the magic carpets for this and started an anxious mile warm up. The shoes felt completely alien and the sound on contact with the ground is head melting! Sounds like a cross between a soggy wellington and scuba flippers :).

Jogged, stretched and tried some self motivational crap to get myself ready.

Reset the watch and got going, quick glance at the watch and I saw the pace feed starting with a 4, ah ffs you’ve gone out way too fast again you fool I thought! Anyway the pace settled down and I was surprisingly feeling ok. The wet welly/flipper noise nearly gave an auld lad out walking a heart attack as I passed him!

Between the k and .75 mile mark I felt I was starting to flag a little and at this point a car came straight out onto the path from the Spar supermarket without looking and nearly took me out. A swerve, some feeble arm waving and a muffled string of fcuks cost me a bit of time but I think this was more than made up for by the resulting adrenaline rush. Pressed hard as I saw a sub 5.30 was potentially on and was delighted to hit the mile in 5.29:5, a mile PB.

This time last year there were days that the back was so bad I could hardly walk to running sub 5.30 mile today. The human body is an incredible thing!

I’d forgotten my normal runners and as the magic carpets don’t take an orthotic I decided to can the rest of the session and just do an easy mile cool down.

Really think L’s training plans suit me, as they stop me doing daft stuff and always seems to get the best outta the auld body.
    Can I keep it all together for a year and maybe finally crack that sub 3, not sure, but I’ll definitely try!

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

The shoes felt completely alien and the sound on contact with the ground is head melting! Sounds like a cross between a soggy wellington and scuba flippers :).
    TbL

You're not really selling these magic carpets to me ....

Super time on the mile ! Well done, that's impressive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Superb stuff on the 1m TT!

Comeback of the year!

• Advertisement
Advertisement