Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

N24 - Cahir to Limerick Junction [design and planning underway]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭davidk1394

The route hasn't been selected yet.

Well there's a corridor and rock samples taken around here and it caused more havoc with trying to get planning

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

davidk1394 wrote: »
    Well there's a corridor and rock samples taken around here and it caused more havoc with trying to get planning

There aren't even route options published, never mind the final route, so whatever is being done does not in any way mean that the road will definitely go through your land.

There aren't even route options published, never mind the final route, so whatever is being done does not in any way mean that the road will definitely go through your land.

This is the letter I recieved earlier this year

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

This is the letter I recieved earlier this year
    That doesn't mean that the road will be built on your property. It means that until they've decided what the route is going to be that nothing can be built on the possible corridor.

When the final route is decided then building will again be allowed on the areas not chosen.

That doesn't mean that the road will be built on your property. It means that until they've decided what the route is going to be that nothing can be built on the possible corridor.

When the final route is decided then building will again be allowed on the areas not chosen.

Well if thats the case it's a f##king disgrace. They held up people all along this corridor for the last 20 years all for the sake they might build a road here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭nordydan

Well if thats the case it's a f##king disgrace. They held up people all along this corridor for the last 20 years all for the sake they might build a road here.

I think if they didn't, then people built everywhere then when the went to build the road they'd have to knock houses. Its their preferred option

nordydan wrote: »
    I think if they didn't, then people built everywhere then when the went to build the road they'd have to knock houses. Its their preferred option

Why drag it out for 20 years and if they already have a corridor why change it so. I'd love to see it move away from me but given my location I highly doubt it'll be changed

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

Why drag it out for 20 years and if they already have a corridor why change it so. I'd love to see it move away from me but given my location I highly doubt it'll be changed

Scale of these projects forces it unfortunately, they will have identified the best options 20 years ago, not had the money, but not wanted to make it a massive pain to negotiate when they eventually had the cash to do it, in the meanwhile regulations and environmental rules will have changed, so when it comes time to do the work in earnest they might suddenly have to completely change the route due to some un-anticipated reason.

All of this doesn't change the fact its a massive pain in the hole for locals wanting to build, but its a difficult one to see a clear answer to, in hindsight, something granted planning permission back then would have been up for 20 years use by a landowner even if they had to come back and knock it now. But every year they will have looked at the restriction and not known if the next year would suddenly bring funding and they end up with a load of pissed off locals having to knock their brand new houses/barns etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

Where you are living is probably a place where there's only one sane route through. Considering the way the country is around there, there will be more than a few places like that along the route: nobody's going to try build a road through the Galties. The simplest route would be a northern bypass of each town/village along the way, but that cuts through a lot of very good farmland, which adds cost and disruption.

You're right, though - it's stupid to wait so long between saying "we need a road, and it'll have to go roughly here" and "we will build the new road exactly along this line"; this is a major problem with how we plan roads in this country. The only upside is that the reserved corridor for a road is always much, much wider than the finished land-take, so once the final option is decided, you could find it far enough away from you to not be an issue. A 2+2 (which this will be) takes about a 30-40 metre wide strip of land, compared to 80+ m for a motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Where is this 20 years coming from? A preferred corridor selected 20 years ago could not be sterilised for that long and will be subject to change, particularly due to changes in environmental legislation, designations, etc. A few years ago, courts ruled that a site on Sandwith Street in Dublin which was required for the DU Station which had a valid RO could not continue to be sterilised after they didn't move forward with CPO of the site. This was a bigger, higher profile and more nationally important project yet they couldn't prevent planning permission within a few years, I don't see how vague notions of this road from two decades ago could be preventing planning now. Whats being referred to in the letter must be based on the process since the project was reactivated recently, not 20 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

A route was selected for the N24 Pallasgreen-Cahir dual carriageway in c. 2009. It was likely preserved in the County Development Plan since.

Now that there’s 20 or so major new schemes in planning since 2018, one of the key benefits of them is finally settling on final routes rather than having corridors sterilised around the country (many of which are 300m wide).

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

https://irl.eu-supply.com/ctm/Supplier/PublicPurchase/179082/1/0

Tender out for LIDAR and Orthophotography surveys of the route

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭steeler j

marno21 wrote: »
    https://irl.eu-supply.com/ctm/Supplier/PublicPurchase/179082/1/0

Tender out for LIDAR and Orthophotography surveys of the route

Will the routes be published before the surveys because the tender says it's for March and April

A slow protest is planned for Friday afternoon through Tipperary town, Its a protest over the lack of government plan and funding for a ring road

I got an some more information about the project yesterday,the preferred route in before Q2 2022 , application to be submitted to ABP before Q3 2024 . I hope it gets more support locally as there isn't much at the moment only a lot of negative and under minding going on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Paddico

steeler j wrote: »
    I got an some more information about the project yesterday,the preferred route in before Q2 2022 , application to be submitted to ABP before Q3 2024 . I hope it gets more support locally as there isn't much at the moment only a lot of negative and under minding going on

What sort of neg/undermining Steeler?
    I know the folk in Tipp town have been crying out for a bypass for years.

Paddico wrote: »
    What sort of neg/undermining Steeler?
    I know the folk in Tipp town have been crying out for a bypass for years.

A couple of groupings want a ring road around the town and when u ask them about this project they say it isn't going to happen and the government have no interest in doing it ,also a lot of false facts being put out there about the situation

Public consultanion on constraints study are starting on the 27 of January till the 17 of February

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Limerick74

steeler j wrote: »
    Public consultanion on constraints study are starting on the 27 of January till the 17 of February

Virtual public consultation room now open https://n24cahirlimerick.ie/public-consultation/

• Advertisement

Limerick74 wrote: »
    Virtual public consultation room now open https://n24cahirlimerick.ie/public-consultation/

Looking there one thing I hadn't considered, how seriously will rail be looked at here? Not really 'instead' of the road, but maybe as well as the road? Given the 2:1 PT:Road funding currently in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

I would appear to me that the most logical thing to do would be to build the new road predominantly along the northern side of the rail line but deviating to avoid settlements (Pallas Green, Oola, Tip town). The rail line is quite straight and flat so likely conducive to road building. You should also have less issues with "dividing communities" or splitting farms as the rail line does those already. Space could be left between road and rail for future double tracking and level crossings addressed as part of the road junction strategy, thereby benefiting rail.

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    I would appear to me that the most logical thing to do would be to build the new road predominantly along the northern side of the rail line but deviating to avoid settlements (Pallas Green, Oola, Tip town). The rail line is quite straight and flat so likely conducive to road building. You should also have less issues with "dividing communities" or splitting farms as the rail line does those already. Space could be left between road and rail for future double tracking and level crossings addressed as part of the road junction strategy, thereby benefiting rail.

Yeah that sounds ideal, build in road and rail junctions, makes things a bit more complex in construction but it would really be beneficial, maybe add in a passing loop or two as well as leaving space for future dualling?

Pete_Cavan wrote: »

It could stay north of line from Tipperary town to Limerick junction after Limerick junction cross to south and go south around oola ,more than likely after tipp town it will run a long way east of the line , something very similar to the last route probably

I think either way, given there will be disruption in the area anyway it might be a good sell to remove the level crossings as part of the project though?

I think either way, given there will be disruption in the area anyway it might be a good sell to remove the level crossings as part of the project though?

Possibly I think there is 5 or maybe 6 level crossings on that part of the line

Cycling facilities have been mentioned as part of this scheme. A proposed cycle infrastructure to connect Tipperay town and Limerick junction on the current road.There is supposed to be plenty of scope for this to be done and a lot of support for it locally

Paddico wrote: »

There was a number of meetings about the scheme since Christmas ,a lot of the meetings were to ease people's concern about the scheme

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

Odd for me to defend Eamon Ryan, but is there any evidence that he or the Greens are actually against this project? The Independent article linked above very carefully stops short of making any claim that Ryan is opposing the N24 improvements, although there's enough half-said to give the un-careful reader that impression.

The upgrade of N24 should not be contentious: the current road isn't just over-capacity in parts, it's downright dangerous. What is there was never designed to carry so many vehicles as it does. Actually, large sections were never designed at all.

Advertisement