Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Top Christmas Movie

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭dubstepper

Home Alone

• Registered Users Posts: 10,125 ✭✭✭✭DvB

u6AZO7w.jpg
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

This was brilliant! Thanks everyone for being such good craic, and Loughc and Posy for running this :D

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭SheepsClothing

tenor.gif?itemid=15750911

This was brilliant! Thanks everyone for being such good craic, and Loughc and Posy for running this :D

Agree. Really enjoyed it, even more so given the circumstances.

Thanks to Loughc & Posy for organising, but a special thanks to Loughc who even threw in some stats for us stat nerds... i tip my hat to you sir!!

Whats next? TV specials, adverts or a different music period;)
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I need to count these votes to verify... :pac:

Yaaaaaay, Home Alone a worthy winner 9-7! :D

I like both films, so didn't mind who won, but there is something about that opening music/scene of Home Alone that gives you that "It's Christmas!" sense of excitement. :)

Thanks Posy & Loughc for organising it. Bit of craic during WFH.

Posy wrote: »

I like both films, so didn't mind who won

Agree. But went for home alone because for me theres something in a few scenes (aside from the wet bandits stuff) that are pure christmas.

I am so looking forward to later in the year & the build up starting again.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Congrats to Home Alone our 2nd seed over came the odds and toppled the top dog.

For me Elf was more of a Christmas film, Home Alone is a home invasion movie set at Christmas, still a small gripe as I love both movies.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Also it became apparently early on that Elf mightn't win when it came close to being knocked out 3 rounds in a row :pac:

Still tho worthy winner in Home Alone :)

• Advertisement

Loughc wrote: »
    For me Elf was more of a Christmas film, Home Alone is a home invasion movie set at Christmas, still a small gripe as I love both movies.

There is something in this as you often see Home Alone on during the year but would never see Elf on at other times.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

To echo the other, thanks Loughc & Posy for a great run competition. Thanks all for getting involved and were some great matches throughout.

Even though my personal favorite didn't win, the title went to a worthy film and one that I think I will always enjoy no matter how many times I watch it.

Tell you what, I reckon we've boosted the February post count significantly! and the added traffic in here I suspect will have spilled over to other threads too, looking at a bumper February given Loughc's previous stat updates for the month!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭snowgal

Also it became apparently early on that Elf mightn't win when it came close to being knocked out 3 rounds in a row :pac:

Still tho worthy winner in Home Alone :)

aw nooooooooo! Was waiting to start and then had to go to meeting for 10 so couldnt hold on. Ive missed all the Elf votes bar one...ELF my winner (though I do love Home Alone so Im not actually devastated)

Thanks a mill guys, great craic :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Thanks for organising this, great craic.

Didn't get to vote in the final but my no.1 Christmas film is National Lampoons Christmas Vacation anyway.

Did anyone else have a no.1 not in the final or semi's?

Here ye go, the full seeding for the tournament, a strong top 16 in any language.

1 Elf
    2 Home Alone
    3 National Lampoons Christmas Vacation 
    4 Home Alone 2
    5 Love Actually
    6 Die Hard 1
    7 A Muppet Christmas Carol
    8 The Nightmare Before Christmas
    9 The Santa Clause
    10 Scrooged
    11 Klaus
    12 Polar Express
    13 Gremlins
    14 Arthur Chistmas
    15 Bad Santa
    16 It's a Wonderful Life
    17 Die Hard 2
    18 The Holiday
    19 While You Were Sleeping
    20 Miracle on 34th Street
    21 Santa Claus : The Movie
    22 Meet me In St. Louis
    23 The Grinch (Jim Carey)
    24 Jingle All The Way
    25 The Family Man
    26 Fred Claus
    27 Christmas with the Kranks
    28 Just Friends
    29 A Christmas story (1983)
    30 White Christmas
    31 A Christmas Carol 1999
    32 Christmas Inheritance
    33 Noelle
    34 Santa Who
    35 The Grinch (2018 Animated)
    36 A Christmas Carol (Disney Animated)
    37 Batman Returns
    38 The Santa Clause 2
    39 Four Christmasses
    40 Bad Moms: A Bad Moms Christmas
    41 Lethal Weapon
    42 Office Christmas Party
    43 The Santa Clause 3
    44 The Family Stone
    45 Trading Places
    46 Krampus
    47 The Night Before
    48 Deck The Halls
    49 Miracle on 34th Street (1947)
    50 Christmas with the Coopers
    51 Bad Santa 2
    52 Joyeux Noel
    53 Surviving Christmas
    54 Nativity
    55 Trapped In Paradise
    56 Happiest Season
    57 The shop around the corner
    58 Scrooge 1951
    59 A Muppet Family Christmas
    60 The Christmas Chronicles
    61 Mickey's Once Upon A Christmas
    62 Holidate
    63 The Knight Before Christmas
    64 Switched for Christmas

1.1K posts is a superb effort and should reflect is a great February status wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,235 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Missed my vote but it would have been for Home Alone :)

Thank you to Loughc and Posy for running the tournament :) Great fights between us all and here’s to more :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭nightie

Thanks for a highly entertaining competition. I’m already looking forward to the next one!

nightie wrote: »
    Thanks for a highly entertaining competition. I’m already looking forward to the next one!

So ideas for the next tournament...

Best Christmas Songs of 80's & 90's
    Best Christmas Advert
    Best Christmas TV Special
    Best Christmas Confectionery

What else can we do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Non Christmas movies that are a must watch at Christmas (disallowing the 64 just in the last comp) ?
    Thinking...
    1/ Willy Wonka (original)
    2/ Raiders of the lost ark
    3/About 20 James Bond movies :)
    4/ trading places
    5/ sound of music
    6/ chitty chitty bang bang

Possibly too broad an area.. dunno

So ideas for the next tournament...

Best Christmas Songs of 80's & 90's
    Best Christmas Advert
    Best Christmas TV Special
    Best Christmas Confectionery

What else can we do?

Having done music & movies, I reckon before dipping our toes back into either pond we should look at adverts or TV Specials. We can come back around to deifferent decades for music etc. after we've explored the others.

I think the TV specials could be a good one. The problem could be that, for me anyway, I don't rewatch them. There were plenty I enjoyed at the time but I haven't gone back to them.

DvB wrote: »
    Having done music & movies, I reckon before dipping our toes back into either pond we should look at adverts or TV Specials. We can come back around to deifferent decades for music etc. after we've explored the others.

Yea, TV specials or adverts might be a nice change of pace, as they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭snowgal

I think the christmas adverts one would be great! Could see many a conflict!! Already have mine lined up.....

Holidays are coming, holidays are coming...................

The issue I see with adverts is that a lot of people don't watch that much live tv. More on demand type streaming. Certainly in this neck of the woods :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

dubstepper wrote: »
    The issue I see with adverts is that a lot of people don't watch that much live tv. More on demand type streaming. Certainly in this neck of the woods :)

But the classic Christmas ads (the best) predate streaming services. Plus there's lots of YouTube viewings too, I haven't seen a live John Lewis and in years and years

• Registered Users Posts: 22,235 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

The cornflakes AD is one of my favourites as is the Coca Cola one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

snowgal wrote: »
    I think the christmas adverts one would be great! Could see many a conflict!! Already have mine lined up.....

Holidays are coming, holidays are coming...................
    And the cornflakes ad- trying to catch a glimpse of Santy :)
    Ha! great minds Autosport.

• Advertisement

dubstepper wrote: »

Ads are short enough that Youtube links can be put in the post and people can watch any they are not familiar with (sorry Loughc/Posy!)

Doesn't really work with movies though :D

Advertisement