Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unpopular Opinions - OP Updated with Threadban List 4/5/21

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Mules wrote: »
    I believe Ireland has a strong victimhood mentality and as a result people don't tend to take personal responsibility for things. I think that's part of the reason for the compo culture we have

Faux victimhood, worthy of an Oscar, for the payout.

It was mentioned during the week that ice rinks could be a thing of the past here as people have used their operators as piggy banks. Me Feinism will be the rock we perish on in the current crisis too imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Faux victimhood, worthy of an Oscar, for the payout.

It was mentioned during the week that ice rinks could be a thing of the past here as people have used their operators as piggy banks. Me Feinism will be the rock we perish on in the current crisis too imo.

There is something deeper than that I think. Maybe it goes back to the famine.

There is something deeper than that I think. Maybe it goes back to the famine.

These people, their parents, and probably their grandparents as well never saw a hungry day in their lives.
    Blaming long gone events for what boils down to basic greed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

The filling of Cadbury's Creme Eggs is disgusting. I just can't understand why they're so popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭growleaves

NIMAN wrote: »
    What if everyone refused to work for Amazon?

That would show them!

There is trade union organising among Amazon employees in Alabama.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Not an unpopular opinion.

Good :)

I think most people, despite many wanting to play the victim, are where they want to be in life, in developed countries at least. There's a huge lack of accountability among adults these days but really unless you've a **** start like being born into a refugee camp or a war zone or something, people are where they want to be, whether they like to admit it or not.

The filling of Cadbury's Creme Eggs is disgusting. I just can't understand why they're so popular.

At least they are not the American recipe. Disgusting though all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭growleaves

Antares35 wrote: »
    I think most people, despite many wanting to play the victim, are where they want to be in life, in developed countries at least. There's a huge lack of accountability among adults these days but really unless you've a **** start like being born into a refugee camp or a war zone or something, people are where they want to be, whether they like to admit it or not.

Yes, we should look in the mirror to see the source of a lot of our problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Unpopular opinion.

Our DP System is somewhat appropriate/suitable in terms of accommodation (albeit dietary allowances for nutrition & faith reasons seem to be hit & miss) and that yes, there are some exploiting the system.

Streamlned; you come here, we interview you air-side & you & us got 3 months to prove your story.

You can't prove it after 3 months we refuse you & give 1 Appeal; say another 3 or 6 months & that's it; but we resource you with FLA for example, we do our own research into your allegations etc.

Once you've done your appeal, if it's refused, we deport you; simple as that; no going back to DP Centre either; out the door with you please; an actual, holding, deportation centre like, I think, America & Australia have.

Because the minority, and if you're in the system for a number of years & haven't got YOUR s**t together then it can't just be the States fault surely, are ruining it for those who are genuine.

I'm not Far Right, not Hard Left/Anti-Fa (the Far Right seem to think anyone not on their side is Anti Fa; you can be, like me, a Normie & Centrist but also Anti Fa in your beliefs); I'm a Normie/Centrist; CL sometimes, mainly social issues, CR economically.

• Advertisement

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    Unpopular opinion.

Our DP System is somewhat appropriate/suitable in terms of accommodation (albeit dietary allowances for nutrition & faith reasons seem to be hit & miss) and that yes, there are some exploiting the system.

Streamlned; you come here, we interview you air-side & you & us got 3 months to prove your story.

You can't prove it after 3 months we refuse you & give 1 Appeal; say another 3 or 6 months & that's it; but we resource you with FLA for example, we do our own research into your allegations etc.

Once you've done your appeal, if it's refused, we deport you; simple as that; no going back to DP Centre either; out the door with you please; an actual, holding, deportation centre like, I think, America & Australia have.

Because the minority, and if you're in the system for a number of years & haven't got YOUR s**t together then it can't just be the States fault surely, are ruining it for those who are genuine.

I'm not Far Right, not Hard Left/Anti-Fa (the Far Right seem to think anyone not on their side is Anti Fa; you can be, like me, a Normie & Centrist but also Anti Fa in your beliefs); I'm a Normie/Centrist; CL sometimes, mainly social issues, CR economically.

Does Ireland actually deport?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck off

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck off

They are little eggs that give you diabetes.

Remember rolo eggs

Diabetes me hole. Get the cream eggs into ye.

Antares35 wrote: »
    Remember rolo eggs

Speaking of which, I had a massive goo on me for a packet of rolos the other day and couldnt find any. Ragin' I was

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

The bastards did away with Drifters in 2019. Now that was bad news.

Omackeral wrote: »
    The bastards did away with Drifters in 2019. Now that was bad news.

Oh man I actually loved them.

Diabetes me hole. Get the cream eggs into ye.

No.

And I won't because some ad tells me to either.
    Disgusting over sugared shyte.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,462 ✭✭✭jackboy

Most Cadbury’s products are disgusting. A small few are ok.

• Advertisement

jackboy wrote: »

Way too much sugar

Too much sugar.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

If you compare the ingredients of any Cadburys bar now with the same bar from years ago it is a completely different and inferior product. They cut way down on the cocoa and milk content and replaced it with crap like palm oil and soya, then tried to cover up the manky taste with extra sugar and chemicals.

If the current Cadburys range had come out under a different brand name as a new product they would have bombed and went out of business.
    It is only brand-loyalty and force of habit that keeps people eating that muck.

It's not just Cadburys either, Nestle and others have cheaped out on ingredients too.
    There was a serious cocoa shortage years ago and the price of it rocketed, that's when the companies started to alter their recipes, now that they have seen how it has boosted their profits they will never be going back to the old recipes.

If you compare the ingredients of any Cadburys bar now with the same bar from years ago it is a completely different and inferior product. They cut way down on the cocoa and milk content and replaced it with crap like palm oil and soya, then tried to cover up the manky taste with extra sugar and chemicals.

If the current Cadburys range had come out under a different brand name as a new product they would have bombed and went out of business.
    It is only brand-loyalty and force of habit that keeps people eating that muck.

It's not just Cadburys either, Nestle and others have cheaped out on ingredients too.
    There was a serious cocoa shortage years ago and the price of it rocketed, that's when the companies started to alter their recipes, now that they have seen how it has boosted their profits they will never be going back to the old recipes.

John West are gone terrible also since bought by the Thai company.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Louis Friend

I don’t believe that the Traveller way of life has any merit, so I’d make it government policy to eliminate it.

I don’t believe that Nigerians add anything at all to the fabric of Irish society. It’s a legal loophole accident that they’re even here, so I’d deport any of them who couldn’t pass some form of Australian skills/job test.

I also don’t believe that homosexuals should be allowed to marry. I do agree with civil partnerships though.

And I do not believe that abortion should be allowed in Ireland other than in very extreme cases.

I don’t believe that the Traveller way of life has any merit, so I’d make it government policy to eliminate it.

I don’t believe that Nigerians add anything at all to the fabric of Irish society. It’s a legal loophole accident that they’re even here, so I’d deport any of them who couldn’t pass some form of Australian skills/job test.

I also don’t believe that homosexuals should be allowed to marry. I do agree with civil partnerships though.

And I do not believe that abortion should be allowed in Ireland other than in very extreme cases.

Disagree on the first two.
    Agree on the second two.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭Hamachi

1. I’m not a fan of the traveler lifestyle, but eliminating them smacks of eugenics. Having said that, there should be subtle pressure for traveler children to remain in education and receipt of benefits should be linked to contributions.

2. I live in Ongar, a suburb in North West Dublin with one of the highest % of Nigerians per capita in Ireland. Everybody knows that their presence in Ireland is due to ruthlessly exploiting the jus soli citizenship loophole of 1999-2004. On balance, I would agree that they contribute very little to the financial coffers or to the social fabric of the country. However, they are here now and aren’t going anywhere. We need to drive up levels of education amongst the youth cohort and again link benefits to contributions. Interestingly, I’ve noticed a pronounced trend of young Nigerians leaving Ireland for London when they finish school. Probably not that surprising given that a statistically significant % of them originally jumped on a ferry from the UK, where they were domiciled at the time e.g. Ebun Joseph and the former mayor of Portlaoise.

3. Totally disagree.

4. Disagree with a caveat. I believe that women should have autonomy over their own bodies. However, I hate the thoughts of abortion and would be devastated if that was something my wife and I ever needed to consider. It really should be a last resort. I was also disgusted by the scenes in Dublin Castle when the amendment passed. Abortion is such a sad scenario. A party was highly distasteful, particularly when it was orchestrated by agenda-driven zealots like Ivana Bacik.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Louis Friend

I’m not advocating eugenics in relation to Travellers. Just the elimination of their way of life by criminalising nomadism, forcing them to live in houses, and ruthlessly monitoring the welfare of their children. The children must be compelled to go to school and must live in fixed accommodation.

First one: it's so corrupted by criminal activity and placated by welfare that it bears more resemblance to US "trailer trash" than a de facto culture. What constitutes modern traveller culture has little value imo.

Second: like other poster, they're here now so try and get them to stay in education and into jobs as that horse bolted a long time ago in the first group..pardon the pun.

3rd and 4th disagree. What people do in their own private lives is their own business. No skin off my nose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

I think anti-rich/wealth movement and rhetoric towards people with success or money is driven entirely by begrudgery.

It is totally en vogue at the minute, mostly touted by salt of the earth types and millennials on Twitter that haven’t worked a day in their lives.

In many peoples minds if you make something of yourself there is no way you could have achieved it through busting your balls or constantly looking to better yourself. Everyone that has made it is because they get a leg up, exploited people or was in a “who you know not what you know” situation.

I would have a relativity privileged background in terms of finances and set up. My dad had a fantastic career. Myself and my wife would be high-earners. I’m embarrassed to say sometimes I find this fact embarrassing and would sometimes feel scoffed at.

Advertisement