Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread III

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭geminiman63

darth_maul wrote: »
    Year up with eir ftth, any recommendations on who to switch to for best price and service, in fairness had zero issues with eir but price is now jumping quite significantly after the 12 months, so was looking for a better deal while maintaining quality of service.

My year was up also with eir ftth at the end of November,

I stayed with eir as I thought this was a pretty good deal that they offered me ,

They offered me a new customer rate when I rang them up in January, as I was out of contract.

This is the deal that I got.

Here are the details of your new eir service

Bundle Name:
    eir Complete Broadband & Phone

Your Bundle Includes:
    eir Talk Mobile World
    eir Fibre Extreme 500Mb

Bundle Contract Length*:
    12 Months

Promotional Price:
    €46.98 per month

Regular Price:
    €85.97 per month

Your Add Ons:

Your Promotional Discounts:
    Promotion - 20 Euro off for 12 months €20.00 x 12 months ending January 2022
    Promotion - 10 Euro off for 12 months €10.00 x 12 months ending January 2022
    Promotion - 8.99 Euro off per month €8.99

Upfront Payments:

Once Off Charges:

Deposit Paid:

I also had zero problems with the service during the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,744 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Year up with eir ftth, any recommendations on who to switch to for best price and service, in fairness had zero issues with eir but price is now jumping quite significantly after the 12 months, so was looking for a better deal while maintaining quality of service.

If you can get the same deal quoted above, I would go with that. I was in the same boat, switched from Eir to Airwire. Eir was more stable but the price jump is excessive. I would have liked to stay with them, but not at that price.

Eir must be run by idiots. The price jump after the initial year is unconscionable. They would make far more money long term by keeping customers at the initial pricing, instead of driving them away.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

cnocbui wrote: »

Eir must be run by idiots. The price jump after the initial year is unconscionable. They would make far more money long term by keeping customers at the initial pricing, instead of driving them away.

I''d say the amount of people switching ISP's every year is relatively small

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

limnam wrote: »

No people switch all the time I've seen some people 3 times. People switch out of frustration halfway through their contracts. A certain ethnic group change providers every 3 months as they get cut off from one they shift to the next and so on.

limnam wrote: »

I'd say the number not switching and just happily going with the sudden 100% price jump would be the ones in a minority.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭glen123

I switched to Pure this week. 35pm for 500mbit,12 months contract. After 12 months rising to 55eur.

Switch over was 5min of downtime. Technical support were prompt at sending me setup details as i didn't want to use the supplied router.
    Getting 480-490mbit on my phone.

I'd say the number not switching and just happily going with the sudden 100% price jump would be the ones in a minority.

Be interesting to see some numbers on it.

Maybe people are getting a bit better in general not just with ISP's

For banks/insurance/leccy etc in the past people tend to just be lazy and stay where they're.

I'm in two minds myself coming out of 18 months soon and thinking about heading back to Eir.

glen123 wrote: »
    I switched to Pure this week. 35pm for 500mbit,12 months contract. After 12 months rising to 55eur.

Switch over was 5min of downtime. Technical support were prompt at sending me setup details as i didn't want to use the supplied router.
    Getting 480-490mbit on my phone.

I presume your router and phone have 802.11ax for you to be getting that speed over WiFi?

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭glen123

I presume your router and phone have 802.11ax for you to be getting that speed over WiFi?

Fritzbox 7530 and Google Pixel 3a.

With F2000 router, supplied by Pure, I was getting 260-270 max.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭oleard1987

Can anybody tell me what a yellow envelope over your property means regarding the roll out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Barry5714

Got a fairly unique situation on my hands here i think. I'll explain as best i can.
    Currently building a new house behind an existing house which has FTTH installed. When completed the old house will be demolished. Now bearing in mind that the new house will have the same occupants, the same address and there will still be only one house on the site do u think Eir would do the easy logical thing and just transfer over the connection or are they gonna be difficult and look for a new eircode.

How would we even go about registering a new address with an post when its the same as the old one.

Inked-Eircode-Map-LI.jpg

Distance shouldn't be a problem there is a DP on the pole that is currently serving the property. Current run is about 20m new one about 60m.

Any input much appreciated.

You shouldn't have too much of a problem.

Worst case scenario might be you having to move the fibre to a connection box and paying a private contractor to do an optical extension from the box to the new house.

Best case would be Eir being happy to run a new length of cable from the DP on the pole to the new house. This option would best be facilitated by ensuring a good duct be installed from the new house to starting point of the the existing cable or the edge of the property.

Best speak to Eir.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Barry5714

You shouldn't have too much of a problem.

Worst case scenario might be you having to move the fibre to a connection box and paying a private contractor to do an optical extension from the box to the new house.

Best case would be Eir being happy to run a new length of cable from the DP on the pole to the new house. This option would best be facilitated by ensuring a good duct be installed from the new house to starting point of the the existing cable or the edge of the property.

Best speak to Eir.

Thanks for the reply.
    Ya I'd be pretty confident in them running a new line my main concern was the eircode cause i know that can take ages to get sorted. Will be at the stage for laying ducting next month for ESB as well so will ring Eir in the meantime.
    Hopefully I'm not on hold for an hour like last time. Excellent service never missed a beat but a disaster if you ever have to speak to someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,689 ✭✭✭ablelocks

can anyone advise on this situation

we have a ftth network that covers some, but not all the community. there is one main fibre line following the main road, with a number of spurs up and down some side roads.

On those side roads there are maybe 2-4 houses within 2-300m of the last fibre unit (the black box on a pole). These houses are not part of the original plan so Eir didn't connect them.

Is there any way of getting these houses connected to existing network? All houses are willing and able to do the preliminary works (trenches, cutting ditches if needed etc) and pay for the extra cable and installation.

I used to have a contact in Eir head office who was very helpful during the initial rollout, but I've lost his contact details and for the life of me can't remember his second name - he may even have retired since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

ablelocks wrote: »
    can anyone advise on this situation

we have a ftth network that covers some, but not all the community. there is one main fibre line following the main road, with a number of spurs up and down some side roads.

On those side roads there are maybe 2-4 houses within 2-300m of the last fibre unit (the black box on a pole). These houses are not part of the original plan so Eir didn't connect them.

Is there any way of getting these houses connected to existing network? All houses are willing and able to do the preliminary works (trenches, cutting ditches if needed etc) and pay for the extra cable and installation.

I used to have a contact in Eir head office who was very helpful during the initial rollout, but I've lost his contact details and for the life of me can't remember his second name - he may even have retired since.

If only it was that easy. Unless they're new builds I think you're out of luck until say the NBI do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭I Armour I

Hey guys looking for advice.

After being given a run around from eir/openeir/kn for 6 weeks here is my situation:

Moved into a new build housing estate in kildare,

Attempted to move my eir account from old rented apartment over.

Initial order went with only problem being that my eir code couldn't be found.

Kn come out to advise me and the other 59 home owners here that the whole state is ducted for FTTH not fttc or dsl.

He leaves telling me to call open eir. They put me on to customer care who put me on to sales who tell me - no my house is one of the other two and the installer was mistaken.

New order and same thing happens again except this time its open eir themselves telling me that eir need to reorder ftth.

4 separate calls with a variety of 'solutions' such as cancelling the services and new order, re scheduling another installer, getting openeir to update an ard key on their database (?) Etc.

Eventually someone spends 20 minutes with me on hold looking up NBI, open eirs map, the notes on the accounts etc. To tell me open eir simply haven't rolled out the broadband to my area yet. (For context one my friends who lives in a house on the main road (not part of my estate) has eir fibre to the home...)

I called sky, Vodafone, digiweb etc. Who when I advised them I can only get ftth in the house due to no phone line I get either of the following: we can't find you or can't supply you.

My eir code very much exists as does the other 50 some people living here in the estate and we are **** out of luck with some people living here over a year.

Any course of action to take?

I Armour I wrote: »
    Hey guys looking for advice.

After being given a run around from eir/openeir/kn for 6 weeks here is my situation:

Moved into a new build housing estate in kildare,

Attempted to move my eir account from old rented apartment over.

Initial order went with only problem being that my eir code couldn't be found.

Kn come out to advise me and the other 59 home owners here that the whole state is ducted for FTTH not fttc or dsl.

He leaves telling me to call open eir. They put me on to customer care who put me on to sales who tell me - no my house is one of the other two and the installer was mistaken.

New order and same thing happens again except this time its open eir themselves telling me that eir need to reorder ftth.

4 separate calls with a variety of 'solutions' such as cancelling the services and new order, re scheduling another installer, getting openeir to update an ard key on their database (?) Etc.

Eventually someone spends 20 minutes with me on hold looking up NBI, open eirs map, the notes on the accounts etc. To tell me open eir simply haven't rolled out the broadband to my area yet. (For context one my friends who lives in a house on the main road (not part of my estate) has eir fibre to the home...)

I called sky, Vodafone, digiweb etc. Who when I advised them I can only get ftth in the house due to no phone line I get either of the following: we can't find you or can't supply you.

My eir code very much exists as does the other 50 some people living here in the estate and we are **** out of luck with some people living here over a year.

Any course of action to take?

Don't expect a quick solution to this .We are in the same boat .New housing estate and the only thing done has been the ducting and the inner ducting

We have chased OpenEir for months ,calls emails and tweets go unanswered. Ring Eir to put orders through and this won't work either

We have emailed all the broadband departments in gov.ie and no response

Our final is that we all emailed our local TDs separately asking them to work on our behalf to get Openeir to install the cables .We have seen the TDs mail to Eir this week and now just waiting on reply

There should be a solution when estates are built that the Fibre be installed at the same time and save all this hassle

Just to add we are located fairly close to Cork City and have been chasing this since November 2019 😪😪

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Anybody that are having difficulties in high speed broadband connections in new housing estates should contact a local councillor or TD and explain the situation. Ring Joe Duffy on Liveline on RTÉ Radio 1 to explain the situation. Most of the country haven’t hear of these problems and it is up to all of you to shout. The government need to be lobbied on quicker recognition of new houses and estates. Surely they were all built under the knowledge of local authorities due to planning permission granted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

12 month contract up today. Finally got through to them and they want 65 pm for 150 or 75 for 500.

Looking to swap providers now so, anyone else switched from eir recently

stuchyg wrote: »
    12 month contract up today. Finally got through to them and they want 65 pm for 150 or 75 for 500.

Looking to swap providers now so, anyone else switched from eir recently

A while back now, and in exactly the same boat, I switched from Eir to Airwire. Service not as bulletproof, but it's cheaper.

• Advertisement

A while back now, and in exactly the same boat, I switched from Eir to Airwire. Service not as bulletproof, but it's cheaper.

Going with pure telecom. 500mb for 35 pm. Eir are a joke. No budging on the price seems mad

stuchyg wrote: »
    Going with pure telecom. 500mb for 35 pm. Eir are a joke. No budging on the price seems mad

Yeah, but it's €35 for 12 months then a hike to €50 and you are back in the same boat. Do Pure absorb the €100 switchover fee?

Yeah, but it's €35 for 12 months then a hike to €50 and you are back in the same boat. Do Pure absorb the €100 switchover fee?

Even at 50 it would be 25 per month cheaper than eir. No extra fees at all according to pure. It will be like electricity going forward id imagine, switching every 12 months for the better deals

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

We have updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH today.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

We have updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH today.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

Can people tell me when they checked Airwire and it showed as available soon ,How long was it before you had FTTH

oleard1987 wrote: »
    Can people tell me when they checked Airwire and it showed as available soon ,How long was it before you had FTTH

It usually goes from weeks to months so not much help really

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I was looking at the Eir fibre BB wire which stretches from my parent's house to the pole across the road and it seems to be 'thinning' in places from stretching I presume. Their BB is ok but I am worried the wire will snap. Has anyone else seen this?
    Is there an alternative to that very small wire? Obvious they could dig up the road and driveway/paths but that would be very costly/messy.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

I was looking at the Eir fibre BB wire which stretches from my parent's house to the pole across the road and it seems to be 'thinning' in places from stretching I presume. Their BB is ok but I am worried the wire will snap. Has anyone else seen this?
    Is there an alternative to that very small wire? Obvious they could dig up the road and driveway/paths but that would be very costly/messy.

You can't really stretch an optical fibre cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

It's a small black cable. It kinda looks double-barrelled if you know what I means. About 2-3mm in width and 1mm thick. It runs from the telephone pole to the top of the house and then down into a junction box. It's definitely the Eir fibre broadband line and it does look to be thinning in places around the middle. They get over 80 Mbps.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭alec76

It's a small black cable. It kinda looks double-barrelled if you know what I means. About 2-3mm in width and 1mm thick. It runs from the telephone pole to the top of the house and then down into a junction box. It's definitely the Eir fibre broadband line and it does look to be thinning in places around the middle. They get over 80 Mbps.

It definitely NOT fibre optic broadband, it is copper cable, VDSL( FTTC) Copper intends to stretch

Advertisement