Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jet Get Radio!!!! post here when you get something new!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,846 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Burzum wrote: »
    Anyone recommend a good/not to expensive step down converter, am using a cheap mercury one from ebay at the minute and looking to upgrade.

I use Tacima step downs and find them good. You'll get a decent Tacima 500VA on Amazon for about €80-100. Or go up to €250-280 for a 2000VA if you need that.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,275 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Always meant to pick one one of those Tacima step downs, I've heard they're really great.

What are you looking to step down? Might be an idea to have a think about your PSU setup too to see if there's anything you can do to avoid 110/120v altogether.

My Jap PCE, Super Famicom and Famicom are all happily running on Megadrive 1 EU PSUs for example.

Jap Saturn has a Pico PSU so that's running straight off an Irish mains too.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Burzum

Is this one you would recommend Steve https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tacima-Stepdown-Transformer-equipment-SC5476/dp/B0009K6M4O/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=Tacima+500VA&qid=1613048605&sr=8-2

I would use it for my Pc Engine, Jap DC/SS and Twinfami when it arrives.

Have a spare megadrive 1 psu here so if that does the job then grand, also for the pico psu you would recommend it for the SS, I will have a gander at one thanks.

Master of the Universe

I think the Dreamcast is just a drop in PSU replacement too, you can just pop a PAL PSU into your Japanese model.

I've a ReSaturn PSU arriving any day to swap into my main Sega Saturn(Jap model that currently has a PAL PSU inside). Meant to be a pretty good modern option.

• Advertisement

Is this one you would recommend Steve https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tacima-Stepdown-Transformer-equipment-SC5476/dp/B0009K6M4O/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=Tacima+500VA&qid=1613048605&sr=8-2

Have a spare megadrive 1 psu here so if that does the job then grand, also for the pico psu you would recommend it for the SS, I will have a gander at one thanks.

No need for a stepdown for the PC Engine or twinfami, just use PSU you already have as o1s1n said or buy a suitable one. But yes that Tacima is good and I have a couple of that exact model. Runs cooler and quieter than the cheaper alternatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Burzum

Perfect can pick one up as wouldn't hurt to have one there just in case.

Perfect can pick one up as wouldn't hurt to have one there just in case.

Always handy to have. This is the one I have on my office workbench at the moment. Quite small, but definitely some heft to it :)

SgoGkXn.jpg

Master of the Universe

Just to throw a spanner in the works, that is a USA step down to 120v. Most of the step down you see in Europe and Ireland are for getting down to 120v.

Japanese devices use 110v. I don't know enough about electricity to know if it truly can damage things, (I know devices have operating parameters rather than going to just 110v and exploding!) But it's worth keeping in mind. They work alright, but do they damage consoles? I'm not sure.

Airlink have a true Japanese 110v step down, that's the one I use with my cabs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

Speaking of power converters, I was using a Nintendo machine and noticed a smell of fish building up. It was only afterwards that I noticed a lovely burn hole in the wall socket.

I'll have to look into it further but I was using a stepdown transformer to convert from Japanese to Irish voltage. Thought it was all good, but obviously something's wrong.

• Advertisement

o1s1n wrote: »
    Just to throw a spanner in the works, that is a USA step down to 120v. Most of the step down you see in Europe and Ireland are for getting down to 120v.

Japanese devices use 110v. I don't know enough about electricity to know if it truly can damage things, (I know devices have operating parameters rather than going to just 110v and exploding!) But it's worth keeping in mind. They work alright, but do they damage consoles? I'm not sure.

Airlink have a true Japanese 110v step down, that's the one I use with my cabs.

Its sort of a non issue the whole 100-120v thing. Most Japanese console power supplies will say 100-120v when you look at the inside anyway(as does a lot of other Japanese tech). Most step downs will state 110-120v output on them as well. And then you have our American cousins who have been buying Japanese tech for decades and plugging it into their 120v sockets.

This is the stepdown in my Egret 3 candy cab, outputting 120v for the last 10 years without issue.
    Zo7GefP.jpg

Got a couple cps1 boards, Willow and Ghouls 'n ghosts. One problem with Willow is that every few minutes it blasts out WILLOW IS A FANTASTIC SORCERER! So I'll have a better look at that later.

Very good game though, rock solid platformer based on the film. Definitely a challenge and very nice graphics. I always liked the film, and Sorcha is fairly hot stuff :)

IMG-20210211-211818-3.jpg

Ghouls 'n Ghosts seems working 100%. Another very challenging game. Has a lot of nice extra touches graphic wise compared to console versions. Runs at 60 frames a second?

IMG-20210211-212857-9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭paul79

Some great games there Absolutely love the cps1 stuff , some brilliant games gameplay and graphics wise , The graphics were beautiful especially at the time .

Finally figured out the problem with willow after an hour of messing!

When one of the wolves would howl it would start a speech effect. That took long enough to notice.

So went into dipswitch sound mode and true enough, playing the "howl" effect was all screwed up.

Looked up sound problems associated with cps1 and found that digital sound effects like speech are usually stored on ROMs 18 and 19.

So I took them out and bingo! One of the legs had bent under the actual chip and not entered. But from the outside it looked fine. Straightened it up being careful not to snap it, and yep, right as rain :)

Another flukey mission in avoiding learning about electronics!

paul79 wrote: »
    Some great games there Absolutely love the cps1 stuff , some brilliant games gameplay and graphics wise , The graphics were beautiful especially at the time .

Big time, really nice looking games. I've avoided cps1 stuff due to the finnicky A boards, but seeing that some multi is coming out from darksoft there's a chance theyre going to get unaffordable so I hopped in now!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Nice fix, love Ghouls N Ghosts, have managed the first loop on 1cc, need to do the second.

Master of the Universe

Nice fix on the Ghouls 'n ghosts! Was that one of your Irish finds or did it come from abroad?

CPS1 games are gorgeous, I always think of them as the quintessential arcade PCB. It's a shame A boards seem to all be going on the fritz as of late - only have two left that are still working myself! Have to change games between them.

That's good going on ghouls 'n ghosts to get to the second run, I'll need a bit more practice from back in the megadrive days!

I got these two boards from a fella in France, they're not spud-reared :p

As for the fix, it was just flukey. What's amazing is that the problem manifested itself so specifically, you'd think all the sound would be buggered. Weird. Though I suppose there would have been other problems later in the game too.

Cps1 A boards, let's see how long they last...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭geotrig

woah new thread !

love willow , my main and only bargain of the 2010's I got that i remember anyway, all the way for Argentina had to do a load of work on the C custom to get it going ,can't believe you didn't use the lighting sequence for a pic :p

I still dispute the flakiness of the A boards ,Yes some have died like many other boards ,but it just sticks out due to mainly the 1 custom chip :mad:

I've always thought cps boards have lived a harder life than most other boards due to some of the games popularity ,I remember seeing some thrown about and stacked badly on each other bitd in one of the local arcades and from all pics and speak of other locations it didn't really differ in most other places either.

Picked this up as I was looking for something to quickly test out old systems that only offer RF out(and hook it through my XCapture-1/OBS Studio for viewing). It works surprisingly well for what it is, but man rf sucks!
    It tuned in my Philips Videopac G7000 without issue.

9ZkCCdN.jpg

Oc3MT5Z.jpg

Edit:
    For those curious(like me).