Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

Dr. Em wrote: »
    The privilege evident on this thread is jaw-dropping. There are more than a few people in Ireland who never have the option of going on a foreign holiday in ordinary times. Honestly, why would you want to go on holiday right now? There is a pandemic, flights are being cancelled at the drop of a hat, getting refunds are a pain, costs are going up, covid tests (non-refundable cost) and quarantines are becoming the norm, and you run the risk of your destination going into lockdown at a moment's notice. I know people who went on holiday last year and were not allowed to leave the hotel once they arrived. Some people need to travel to move home or for family emergencies, but honestly, it is not worth it for a bit of sun.

Yes

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

The privilege evident on this thread is jaw-dropping. There are more than a few people in Ireland who never have the option of going on a foreign holiday in ordinary times.

Other than winning the lotto I will never have the possibility of owning a Ferrari should I despise those through good fortune / hard work that do?
    You have a very peculiar attitude. You see someone enjoying the fruits of their labour as privilege. Strange.

bikeman1 wrote: »
    How do the Gardaí chase up a fine for a one way ticket to leave the country and WFH elsewhere?

Can I have your address Sir?

Certainly, 123 Plaza Mayor, Madrid, Spain.

One way ticket with the intention of migrating to Spain. That could never be challenged.

Anyway, all this will blow over in a few months when case numbers are on the floor and Europe is open.

You didn't read up on any of this first, did you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭Dr. Em

Privilege? will you f*ck off! What does people not normally being able to afford a holiday have to do with anything?

It's not about a week in Benidorm, people are allowed to disagree with bad policy and this should be challenged.

Fair enough if you disagree with the policy and have no intent of going on holiday. Unfortunately, there seem to be a lot of people who feel that their human rights are being infringed upon because they can't drink sangria in the sun. That is some cheek in a pandemic. I have enormous sympathy for people who are separated from family and for anyone who has a half-decent reason for travel, but none at all for those whinging for a holiday.

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Scream at your local TD and tell them to fcuk right off if they think you are voting for them in the future.

Ive done it and made it clear not to deliver any FG or FF literature through my door. And they wont be getting my vote again. Life long FG supporter by the way since I was 18.

As I said before, SF and Pbp want even stronger restrictions so who ya going to vote for?

• Advertisement

Other than winning the lotto I will never have the possibility of owning a Ferrari should I despise those through good fortune / hard work that do?
    You have a very peculiar attitude. You see someone enjoying the fruits of their labour as privilege. Strange.

No one's Ferrari put my grandmother in the hospital.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

faceman wrote: »
    Won’t be EU countries

Wouldn't be so sure. Nearly 300 cases of South African Variant in Austria. AZ vaccine has been shown to be only 10% effective against it. Austria is EU. Can't even leave the province now without a test.

Mad how this time last year it was skiers bringing it back from there.

https://twitter.com/France24_en/status/1359492313211404293?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

5,200 Irish people returned from holiday during a week in January.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/5200-irish-people-returned-from-holiday-during-a-week-in-january-1079105.html

Selfish mofos. Really and truly they all are selfish bastard's.
    I'm stopping short of saying i hope they all get covid.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/5200-irish-people-returned-from-holiday-during-a-week-in-january-1079105.html

The numbers will likely drop off significantly due to the new restrictions. Anyone who was already on holiday when they were announced, however misguided their trip, didn't have much option other than coming home.

A Raleigh bicycle was once the cause of me going to hospital. Should Raleigh bikes be banned?See I can engage in stupid responses too. Your turn.

• Advertisement

Someone's killed my cousin

What's the point you are trying to make?

How do they know it was a holiday? I travelled in January, not for a holiday. No one asked me why I was traveling.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,107 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

No, as was pointed out before, that could be the case for some but most should be immune. That's what vaccines do

So what did I say that was wrong?

Are you disagreeing with the claim that the purpose of having quarantine is to prevent people bringing it in

Or are you disagreeing that people who are vaccinated can still potentially spread it?

You appear to be trying to make some irrelevant point that some vaccinated people won't have it and won't spread it ......... but that is the same argument against any blanket quarantine regardless of vaccinated or non-vaccinated

If 100,000 vaccinated people landed at Dublin airport this week they would probably carry more of the virus in that the 2,500 or whatever non vaccinated holidaymakers that came in last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

Come on now.. ..Ferrari's have put plenty in hospital.

Are you disagreeing with the claim that the purpose of having quarantine is to prevent people bringing it in

Or are you disagreeing that people who are vaccinated can still potentially spread it?

You appear to be trying to make some irrelevant point that some vaccinated people won't have it and won't spread it ......... but that is the same argument against any blanket quarantine regardless of vaccinated or non-vaccinated

If 100,000 vaccinated people landed at Dublin airport this week they would probably carry more of the virus in that the 2,500 or whatever non vaccinated holidaymakers that came in last week.

You are being misleading. You suggest that most people won't be immune and the purpose of the vaccine is too limit the effects.

It's not accurate

Someone's killed my cousin

What's the point you are trying to make?

Apparently someone more fortunate who was able to afford an airplane ticket put his granny in hospital. I wonder is he annoyed at the advice Holohan gave last March that caused alot of grannies to end up in a graveyard completely bypassing the hospital.

A Raleigh bicycle was once the cause of me going to hospital. Should Raleigh bikes be banned?See I can engage in stupid responses too. Your turn.

Stupid response? My grandmother is in the hospital right now because of Covid. Travel restrictions on non-essential holidays could save lives and all they require from the public is a bit of patience. How difficult is that to understand?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

If I could I would bet you they'll be back in lockdown once their winter flu season kicks in

Only Melbourne was in lockdown during the flu season last year, the other 80% of the country wasn’t.

Well you're lovely.

I'd could say it's extremely selfish that you would demand other people stay trapped in the country against their free will, just to satisfy your inflated sense of cowardice. I won't though.

Get a grip.

It must be very fragile person who is not be able to cope without a "me time" holiday abroad - no?

Are they too afraid to stay at home and face whatever they feel the need to run away from?

Stupid response? My grandmother is in the hospital right now because of Covid. Travel restrictions on non-essential holidays could save lives and all they require from the public is a bit of patience. How difficult is that to understand?

Ah so it's only what effects YOUR family.

Gotcha

(Fyi my last grandfather died from covid-19 but I don't blame the person sitting beside me on the bus or someone that has a private yacht ⛵)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

By telling us you're stopping short of saying it kinda means that's what your thinking:pac:

I was one of those people- tested 3 times between out and back at a cost of over a grand (family of 3)- isolated until we'd passed final test and put nobody at risk. In fact when I think of it we haven't been out except for a walk since as we work from home anyway.

Do you wish deadly disease on every covid rule breaker? Or perhaps the government who allowed travel without testing before Christmas?

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Northernlily

How do they know it was a holiday? I travelled in January, not for a holiday. No one asked me why I was traveling.

They don't.One of my best mates travels to UK every Monday morning for essential work and back later in the week.

Potentially.. more of this sh*t. Potentially anything could happen, potentially a new strain could wipe us all out, potentially a completely different virus could happen next week, potentially a space elephant might fall from moon and crush us from above.. who knows but I'm not for locking down the world on a "just-in-case" basis.

We waited for the vaccine so that the services could cope, or so we were told. Well it's here, and when the vulnerables are vaccinated, the services will be able to cope. So open up.

You are being misleading. You suggest that most people won't be immune and the purpose of the vaccine is too limit the effects.

It's not accurate

Nope. Never said any of that. I never said anything about vaccinated person being immune or not.

Just pointed out that even if a person is vaccinated, they will still be required to quarantine until enough people in the destination are vaccinated. Because, as far as the destination is concerned, they could still be carrying it and won't want the traveller waltzing in and going around wherever.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,524 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

A bit of common sense at last:
    Senator Regina Doherty expressed concerns about “demonising” travellers and said that more focus should be put on antigen testing for people travelling abroad as opposed to fines of up to €2,000.

Not to mention people who want to return from Dubai for example that are vaccinated plus have a negative PCR test so shouldn't be subject to mandatory quarantine upon arrival to Dublin...

I know that won't sit well with those of you salivating at the thoughts of people being transported to mandatory confinement, but an intelligent workable solution needs to be implemented, not blanket rules..

It must be very fragile person who is not be able to cope without a "me time" holiday abroad - no?

Are they too afraid to stay at home and face whatever they feel the need to run away from?

lol... what a leap.

Your grandmother is in hospital. So we're exchanging personal stories? A friend of mine is hospital due to a failed suicide bid . Lockdown has destroyed his mental health. I'll pass on your suggestion if he comes out the other side to just have some patience. Hope your Grandmother pulls through, Covid is not a death sentence despite the hysterical reactions in the populace, prescription drug overdose on the other hand......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

The reality is some people don't care about their own granny let alone someone else's.

Potentially.. more of this sh*t. Potentially anything could happen, potentially a new strain could wipe us all out, potentially a completely different virus could happen next week, potentially a space elephant might fall from moon and crush us from above.. who knows but I'm not for locking down the world on a "just-in-case" basis.

We waited for the vaccine so that the services could cope, or so we were told. Well it's here, and when the vulnerables are vaccinated, the services will be able to cope. So open up.

Just stop whinging, man up and do your bit. That's all you have to do. It isn't that difficult. The sooner it is over the better and we can all travel wherever then. If a few snowflakes can't cope now, they'll only succeed in prolonging it for everyone.

• Advertisement

Ah so it's only what effects YOUR family.

Gotcha

(Fyi my last grandfather died from covid-19 but I don't blame the person sitting beside me on the bus or someone that has a private yacht ⛵)

I'm sorry about your grandfather. I would be acting responsibly during this pandemic if it never effected my own family because because I understand collective responsibility. Yes, I did just edit out stronger language.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement