Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Framing Britney Spears

• 09-02-2021 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭runningbuddy

Anyone watched it? Just heard them discussing it on Matt Cooper

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,047 ✭✭✭✭cena

not yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,432 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Looks like it will be on Disney+ when it's released this side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭runningbuddy

Cheers folks. Not an easy watch apparently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,518 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is this about her father's having control of her and her finances?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Is this about her father's having control of her and her finances?
    I believe so.

Is there any confirmation this will be on Disney+ Star or what ever you are supposed to call it? Or if that just an assumption as this is on hulu in the states?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭AnnaSophia

The whole thing was on YouTube the other day, not sure if it’s been taken down yet. It’s really tough when you look at how young she was and how horribly she was treated by just about everyone. Apparently she’s only worth €60 million now as well?! Something does not add up there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,889 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Craig Ferguson in 2007 saying leave Britney alone and we comedians should be making fun of Trump.

If only the rest of the late night hosts had followed his lead.

https://twitter.com/BritneyHiatus/status/1358945301051170816?s=20

I found the whole thing quiet sad really the girl she was at the the time definitely needed help and support and sadly her family especially her father were the wrong ones from what I can see when I watched it.

It also shows how we the public drive the Paparazzi and watching scenes where she is surrounded by hundreds of flashing camera is very sad and would drive anyone a bit crazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,432 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Watched it tonight,
    how did her father ever get such control over her life as conservator considering she was still working at this stage and should have had easy access to the best legal team around if she wanted it, she instead gets a court appointed atorney. Having said that her father's management seemed to bring her back on an even keel and get her the resiedency in Vegas.

In her early career her mother seemed to be the only one involved in actually getting her career up and running. Britney appeared to not have a single person steering her career and guiding her once she made it as a musician, all ended in tears. Some looper fans need to take up more sensible hobbies like billiards or chess.

It's such an important topic at the moment that someone needs to ask Leo or Tony Holohan what do they think at the next presser, lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,034 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Craig Ferguson in 2007 saying leave Britney alone and we comedians should be making fun of Trump.

Craig Ferguson is a damn classy guy.

Honest, likeable, hilarious and had standards unlike late show hosts nowadays going for the easy targets.

To think Corden took over from Ferguson.. depressing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭den87

Watched it last night, very interesting and would definitely recommend.
    While I do agree that her dad is a bad egg and only interested in the money, I honestly believe that Britney is still having problems mentally.
    Any of her ‘fans’ that were interviewed hold no merit whatsoever and her IG followers sometimes put 2 + 2 together and somehow get 15.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

den87 wrote: »
    I honestly believe that Britney is still having problems mentally.

Eyes are a give away. Needs new meds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

Looks like it will be on Disney+ when it's released this side.

My sister was asking this.

I told her it would be because it it is Hulu but this morning I got an email with the full list of Stars Originals and this documentary is not on it.

And the “full list” is very meagre.

Who has her kids?

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Who has her kids?

K-Fed has sole custody.

K-Fed as sole custody.

I hope she at least gets to see them

He is another who probably bleed her dry for money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭E mac

Watched it last night..Sad. She’s apparently well enough to work endlessly to make money but not trusted to look after her own money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

so one shouldn't make fun of celebrities? did she not seek fame?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

So once someone is famous they're fair game no matter what? Is that the point you're making?

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Abel Ruiz

So once someone is famous they're fair game no matter what? Is that the point you're making?

Hold on, why is someone like trump fair game???
    Because he's a arssehole???
    The media nailed him every day for years, still are. Personal abuse about his hair, skin colour, body, his family etc. Even the King of kindness tubridy abused trump.

Britney was no angel but didn't deserve the abuse she got for a couple of years.
    I dont think she was fair game because she was famous. But why is it okay for other famous people?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,459 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭lertsnim

https://twitter.com/BritneyHiatus/status/1358945301051170816?s=20

I loved his show. It was magnificent. To think of who replaced him :mad:

Justin Timberlake just gave a out an apology in Instagram for his behavior.

He is on damage control now brand Timberlake didn't come out of the doc looking good.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭md23040

I think the programme was very hard to watch and reminded how Whitney Houston was bled dry. $60M seems so low for her wealth considering LV residency alone worth $38M per year.

The most appalling thing is the double standards against females with herself and Janet Jackson getting vilified publicly whilst non existent against Timerlake etc.

It’s ridiculous that she’s portrayed as trailer trash whore whilst Timberlake gets high fived for doing the deed. And it’s deeply disturbing and misogynistic that rap artists and groups can use young females in videos as glorified sex objects and there’s no blow back. It’s got so bad in the industry in terms of the sexualising it’s a race to the bottom for many female groups or solo artists.

Look at the effect of the tabloids on Jesy from Little Mix etc. But at least she’d the sense to get out. There will be plenty more screwed up artists in the future with severe mental health issues, thrown out on the pyre by media when done with them, and we supposedly live in the age of female empowerment.

Not a great documentary but certainly a subject worthy of exploration.

Part of me is glad that I was somewhat oblivious to the circus that followed Britney throughout the years even though I'm a big fan as I feel less accountable. Another part of me thinks I should be a little more concerned for the well being of someone who has given so much of her life to the benefit of myself and the masses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭corkie

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭den87

It’s airing on Sky Documentaries tomorrow at 9pm

Framing Britney Spears premieres Tuesday, 16 February 2021 at 9pm on NOW TV and Sky Documentaries

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Watched it last night. Mixed bag. Very sad to be reminded of how shameless the Hollywood paps are, it should be illegal. Its harassment.

Her support network let her down badly. Really badly. Her family, friends, business managers and the record label.

That level of fame is just bad for you.

The #FreeBritney fans are ****ing weird.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

where is Britney now? did she go completely loo lah?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

fryup wrote: »
    where is Britney now? did she go completely loo lah?

It appears she experienced some severe mental health issues when at the age of 23, her marriage ended when her two kids were just a year old and 8 weeks old. She also suffered from post natal depression at this time.

This coupled with the pressures of her fame caused her to subsequently have a very public downfall and nervous breakdown, fuelled by a paparazzi who goaded, mocked and harassed her, which was cheered on by the public.

As a result of this public breakdown her ex husband was granted full custody of the kids and she was told that entering the conservatorship would give her a better chance of being allowed access/joint custody of her children.
    It was supposed to be a short term arrangement, it was never supposed to go on for 13+ years.

During this time she has had no control over her person, her life, or her finances. If you follow her Instagram she appears to be permanently spaced out, as a result of the cocktail of drugs she’s on so that she can be better controlled.

If rumours are to be believed her father has been known to pay off doctors, psychiatrists and judges to perpetuate the notion that she is too unstable to be in control of her own life.
    Yet despite the fact that she’s apparently so vulnerable she isn’t even allowed to go the doctor on her own, she has released many albums, toured and performed concerts all over the world and was able to make millions of dollars. It just makes no sense.
    Apparently access to her kids was held over her as a manipulation tactic to get her to go along with what her father wanted.

She was so young when all this happened, 23 is no age to have that level of super fame, a divorce and two small babies to cope with. There are also rumours that she had been sexually abused, though she has never confirmed that.
    Society had very different attitudes to mental health back then, and she was unfortunately victim of that.

I hope she frees herself from her father. 13 years is a ridiculous amount of time for this to have gone on. If she is well enough to headline performances, release albums, and make millions of dollars I don’t see why she isn’t well enough to be in charge of herself and her finances.

She is being used by those around her, who are supposed to love and care for her, as a cash cow and it’s disgusting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Basq wrote: »
    Craig Ferguson is a damn classy guy.

Honest, likeable, hilarious and had standards unlike late show hosts nowadays going for the easy targets.

To think Corden took over from Ferguson.. depressing!

Completely. I've heard him speak about his alcoholism (now reformed) and where it brought him. So he's seen the lows himself.

And Corden is reportedly a massive diva and a bit of a bully away from the cameras.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭steve_r

I watched the Britney documentary the other night, I remember seeing how the media treated Britney. I suppose at the time I didn't appreciate the viciousness and the impact it was having on her.

It was incredibly ugly to see it played back on the documentary and my heart breaks for her. It raises a lot of questions about the accountability of the media, and the behaviour of Justin Timberlake (see this thread - https://twitter.com/BritneyHiatus/status/1360354790853730306?s=20)

Having said that, the doc was a bit too sympathetic to the Britney fans and didn't really challenge any of their views - this article goes into a good bit of detail and is worth a read:

https://slate.com/culture/2021/02/framing-britney-spears-gives-pass-to-free-britney.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

steve_r wrote: »
    I watched the Britney documentary the other night, I remember seeing how the media treated Britney. I suppose at the time I didn't appreciate the viciousness and the impact it was having on her.

It was incredibly ugly to see it played back on the documentary and my heart breaks for her. It raises a lot of questions about the accountability of the media, and the behaviour of Justin Timberlake (see this thread - https://twitter.com/BritneyHiatus/status/1360354790853730306?s=20)

Having said that, the doc was a bit too sympathetic to the Britney fans and didn't really challenge any of their views - this article goes into a good bit of detail and is worth a read:

https://slate.com/culture/2021/02/framing-britney-spears-gives-pass-to-free-britney.html

That's a pretty good article. I'm a bit uncomfortable with the 'Free Britney' movement itself. There were some highly questionable people influencing Britney around the time of her breakdown, especially her 'manager' Sam Lufti, who has a special talent for preying on vulnerable people with drink and drug issues (Lindsay Lohan, Amanda Bynes, and Courtney Love amongst them). He has been repeatedly trying to regain access to her over the last few years.

A key reason for the conservatorship has been to limit and screen who has access to her. Rich and famous people, especially those with addiction issues are a magnet for shady people. Her father may well be acting in his own interest. He alternatively may be acting or believe he is acting in her best interests. Or a mixture of both. It is hard to get a complete picture when the legal team behind the conservatorship and even Britney hersef did not cooperate with the documentary.

These fans are acting on a mixture of fact, detective work, and speculation, and their conclusions are heavily biased by their devotion to Britney. No one apart from her family, legal team, and doctors really knows what the true picture of her mental state is, and how capable she is of managing her own affairs without support.

I'm not saying she is not being exploited but I don't think it can be assumed that she definitely is either. The fact her mother seems to be involved in this latest attempt to wrest control from her father doesn't sit that well for me. Especially since this same woman was front and centre cashing in on 'virginal and innocent' manufactured image of teen Britney despite knowing it was being used as titillating marketing fodder for men.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,301 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

Netflix is also working on making a Britney doc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

Watched it last night and was fairly underwhelmed. Don't really understand the hype. While it's undoubtedly an awful story and your heart would break for her, there was nothing really new or revelatory in the doc. Just rehashing information that's already out there. I think the fact that it was by the NY Times rather than E4 made people assume it was more worthy.

It's strange that it's just an episode of the monthly "The New York Times Presents" series which has completely blown up. As the slate article says, if anything it's managed to put Britney back front and centre of the news cycle which is the last thing that was needed really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

You'd expect better from the NYT. A puff piece.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Abel Ruiz wrote: »
    Hold on, why is someone like trump fair game???
    Because he's a arssehole???
    The media nailed him every day for years, still are. Personal abuse about his hair, skin colour, body, his family etc. Even the King of kindness tubridy abused trump.

Britney was no angel but didn't deserve the abuse she got for a couple of years.
    I dont think she was fair game because she was famous. But why is it okay for other famous people?
    Seriously? Theres no comparison.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

It was grand. But it barely scratched the surface really. I expected more from the NYT. I don’t really get the vilification of Justin either. He was a victim of the time too. A young lad going out with the hottest woman in the world being asked inappropriate questions by people who should have known better. I wouldn’t be a huge fan of his but he was young and dumb too and said stupid things like a lot of young men, only difference is he had a microphone shoved in front of him and the world’s media salivating, looking for a headline.
    But yeah, grand documentary. Nothing groundbreaking. Your heart would go out to Britney and all she has endured/ is enduring. She seems completely harmless and I don’t think she has ever said a bad thing about anybody.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭santana75

No. He was slut-shaming her for years and knocked her and Janet down to propel his own career. He knew exactly what he was doing and how to play the game, taking full advantage of the misogyny of the time and his white male privilege. Can't stand him.

Would you give over with the white male privilege misogyny crap. He was a kid, they both were, and kids make mistakes, like us all. We're fed a narrative by the media and we dont know the ins and outs of the whole story. I watched the documentary and it's an old story, the entertainment industry has never been kind to child stars, especially in the music industry. Britney may never had any issues had she led a regular anonymous life, the whole thing is a damning reflection on that industry but also on us, the public who drive up the demand for celebrity gossip. It's an ugly side to society, this idolatry of certain people. Worshiping them and fixating on their lives as opposed to our own, putting them up on a pedestal and then relishing it when they're knocked down.

No. He was slut-shaming her for years and knocked her and Janet down to propel his own career. He knew exactly what he was doing and how to play the game, taking full advantage of the misogyny of the time and his white male privilege. Can't stand him.

I’d have to disagree with you there. Im no fan of his either but I’m not fully convinced the super bowl incident wasn’t pre planned by both of them. Of all the examples of white male privilege and walking misogyny there is I’m not sure Justin is up there. He seems pretty inoffensive to me. He was young and dumb too. I’m not sure how fair it is to view decade old behaviour by today’s standards. People are allowed to evolve and grow, especially young people growing up so publicly under such intense pressure, and he has apologised for his part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

No, I will not "give over". Justin Timberlake is a bad person, has always been a bad person and continues to be a bad person who took full advantage of his WHITE MALE PRIVILEGE and MISOGYNY of the time. If that triggers you then tough because it's a fact.

The fact that you refuse to see that proves you don't understand the documentary or at worse are denying it to enable this sort of behaviour to continue, and perhaps relieve your own guilt.

Don't give me the "boys will be boys" crap. He knew how to play the game. She got slut-shamed and he got praised for "hitting it" and womanising other female celebs. I would strongly suggest you read the twitter thread titled, "Justin has been slut-shaming Britney for decade. A thread". If you can get through that and still come away thinking he is just as much as a victim then I can't help you. He is absolutely vile and the type of man any woman looking for a relationship should avoid.

Did Janet Jackson In your opinion know what was happening that day?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

santana75 wrote: »
    Would you give over with the white male privilege misogyny crap.
    leaving aside the imported buzzwords de jour for a second, TPP has a strong point IMHO. Timberlake is and was a grifter forging out a career for himself while quite happy to use bigger, more talented artists like Spears and Jackson to do it. That's part and parcel of that game for many, but as well as using them he was quite happy and quick to dump on them when it suited. Yes he was young, but he'd been in and playing the fame game since he was barely out of nappies and he had a team around him helping him do it and he and his team knew well what he was doing.

His breakout hit was an open dig at Spears and one he doubled down on to keep sales up. The guy was bragging about taking her virginity on international airwaves for attention for feck's sake. I could fully understand him going AWOL off the back of a "first love" relationship and if he'd had a few bloopers in the months that followed I'd understand, but he kept the narrative on him throughout and for years happy to keep digging at her to further his career. IMHO both him and Jackson had planned the superbowl nip slip and it gave him even more column inches of attention(Jackson hardly needed another line written about her), but when it went sour, again he dumped on Jackson to distance himself and keep attention on himself. Many years later it took something like this documentary to get him to "apologise" as a hail mary attempt at damage control. The guy is a thundering dick.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I watched the documentary the other night. I thought the Free Britney crowd, at least the ones they interviewed, weren't very credible. They seemed to be reading into things a bit too much. I didn't know Britney Spears had such problems with her mental health. I remember her shaving her head but I didn't really pay much attention to anything after that because I don't really follow her career too closely. After seeing the documentary I'm not sure Britney Spears can manage her own affairs and she probably needs some level of oversight over some aspects of her life, especially her financial affairs. She seemed to have problems with her father looking after her affairs, fair enough. The documentary left out a lot, I sure there is a lot of information regarding Britney's mental health and competence that is not in the public domain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Heat_Wave

Unrelated to Britney, but when I was about 14/15 years old, I was on a flight with my family to London, and Justin Timberlake was sitting up front with Cameron Diaz. No one on the flight seemed to notice, as they had their faces covered (Cameron wore a beanie, and Justin had his head in a newspaper).

Anyway, I had just been to his concert in the Point the night before, and I happened to have the concert ticket in my bag. I gave it to the air hostess, and quietly asked her if she’d give it to him to sign. She came back and said “he said no, sorry”.

I remember being heartbroken at the time as I was very young and I idolised him. I had also just paid circa €100 to attend his concert. It changed my whole opinion of him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

I would strongly suggest you read the twitter thread titled, "Justin has been slut-shaming Britney for decade. A thread". If you can get through that and still come away thinking he is just as much as a victim then I can't help you. He is absolutely vile and the type of man any woman looking for a relationship should avoid.

Wow this thread is something else. Not a fan of either of them, still I remember some of the initial salvos.
    So many clips showing that not only did he kick her when she was down, he then kept curb-stomping her. What a snake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭Shelga

Heat_Wave wrote: »
    Unrelated to Britney, but when I was about 14/15 years old, I was on a flight with my family to London, and Justin Timberlake was sitting up front with Cameron Diaz. No one on the flight seemed to notice, as they had their faces covered (Cameron wore a beanie, and Justin had his head in a newspaper).

Anyway, I had just been to his concert in the Point the night before, and I happened to have the concert ticket in my bag. I gave it to the air hostess, and quietly asked her if she’d give it to him to sign. She came back and said “he said no, sorry”.

I remember being heartbroken at the time as I was very young and I idolised him. I had also just paid circa €100 to attend his concert. It changed my whole opinion of him.

I also think he seems like a snake. Of course none of us know him, this is all speculation, but wasn’t he photographed all over a co-star recently too, and had to publicly apologise to his wife: https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/style/celebrity/celebrity-news/justin-timberlake-apologises-to-wife-jessica-biel-for-lapse-in-judgement-on-night-out-with-co-star-38756505.html

“I regret my behaviour” blah blah blah- hey Justin, maybe just stop being a d*ck in the first place?

Agree that he is only apologising for how he treated Britney and Janet now as damage control. He couldn’t give a s*it, let’s be honest.

Can someone link the twitter thread?

• Advertisement
Advertisement