Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Framing Britney Spears

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Nancy Screeching Uterus

The podcast show about her insta posts are creepy and the protesting fans need to get an actual job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Heat_Wave wrote: »
    Unrelated to Britney, but when I was about 14/15 years old, I was on a flight with my family to London, and Justin Timberlake was sitting up front with Cameron Diaz. No one on the flight seemed to notice, as they had their faces covered (Cameron wore a beanie, and Justin had his head in a newspaper).

Anyway, I had just been to his concert in the Point the night before, and I happened to have the concert ticket in my bag. I gave it to the air hostess, and quietly asked her if she’d give it to him to sign. She came back and said “he said no, sorry”.

I remember being heartbroken at the time as I was very young and I idolised him. I had also just paid circa €100 to attend his concert. It changed my whole opinion of him.

Ah god that’s so ****ty! I’m all for people being allowed their privacy but it’s clear you were a fan and had been at his concert. What a dickhead

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

The freebritney crowd are so sliney; useless vapid parodies who need to look after themselves. Leave the women alone, she was a singer, stop living vicariously through her success and plight. You were teenagers when you listened to her music, time to grow up. Feeding into the cult of the celebrity and the same toxicity that brought about her demise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Nancy Screeching Uterus

The freebritney crowd are so sliney; useless vapid parodies who need to look after themselves. Leave the women alone, she was a singer, stop living vicariously through her success and plight. You were teenagers when you listened to her music, time to grow up. Feeding into the cult of the celebrity and the same toxicity that brought about her demise.

looking at some of them, they were only infants when she debuted in 98 - looked about college age,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,972 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Basq wrote: »
    Craig Ferguson is a damn classy guy.

Honest, likeable, hilarious and had standards unlike late show hosts nowadays going for the easy targets.

To think Corden took over from Ferguson.. depressing!

Find it interesting that in a thread about how one person was treated by the public, someone, while praising one person who stood up for her, has a snipe at another person who, as much as I can see, doesn't deserve a lot of the hate that comes his way (your comment about him is pretty mild in fairness).

He didn't come from a family with money or with heavy involvement in TV or the arts industries and his figure was not the normal type for one to have been as successful as he has been.

He has done very well for himself in forging out a very successful career. Gavin and Stacey would probably rank amongst the top UK sitcoms, he won a Tony award as a theatre actor having performed on Broadway, has had a long running entertainment panel show in the UK and he is an established late night host on a US chat show which has won 9 emmys and from which the 'Carpool' feature has been particularly popular.

Don't watch his US show and found his A League of their Own to be a bit too forced generally so maybe I'm missing something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

It's hard to know the truth but it looks like Brittney isn't all there and probably will never be, her father probably has his own interest at heart first but seems to be making the right moves for Britneys career. I remember her meltdown at the time and never thought how crazy it was but looking back you have to really feel sorry for her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,305 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Haven't watched the doc yet, but I do remember the public meltdown. I suppose I wasn't as into the social side of things when I was her age (she's 2 years older than me), but her music was a guilty pleasure, and she was the most beautiful woman in the world back then. I had a feeling something wasn't right at the time, but she was a celeb in a country thousands of miles from me, I didn't care tbh. It sounds shocking that literally everyone around her was using her, I just find it hard to believe there was no genuine friends or family trying to help. Like, if she was a nice person, how could everyone take advantage? I'm not making any assumptions, but nice people usually don't get taken advantage of by everyone. Maybe the doc will explain that.

Re: Justin on the plane. I see the other side to this. Yes, granted, he's a celeb and he's expected to interact with his fans, but on a flight where he was obviously trying to, ahem, fly under the radar, I think it's a bit much to expect a positive outcome when asking for an autograph. If you get it, great, but being disheartened about it is avoidable. The problem as pointed out above, is we put these people on pedestals and look up to them, until they fall off the pedestal and we love nothing more than kicking while down as it doesn't affect us. If the public didn't demand such things from celebs, it would be very different. No public demand would mean less paps, and less hassle to celebs then. Being famous shouldn't automatically mean you've to dance monkey dance.

I've had pics with a few different bands I've gone to see, but at the venue at the end of the gig. I wouldn't dare to approach anyone outside of the event itself to ask for a pic/autograph. They're entitled to a private life as much as the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭batman75

Remember Craig Ferguson commenting on Britney. It was part of a longer piece about his own issues with alcoholism. A very smart and likable guy.
    As for Britney most child stars end up struggling as adults. She is definitely talented. Not my kind of music but I would admire how successful she has been.
    As for this documentary I was listening to a debate on BBC 5Live. I don’t believe that all the facts behind the control of her interests are in the public domain. If they were it might explain why her father has control. An interesting point was made on the radio that were it a male star it is unlikely that a guardian would be given such power.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

Heat_Wave wrote: »
    Unrelated to Britney, but when I was about 14/15 years old, I was on a flight with my family to London, and Justin Timberlake was sitting up front with Cameron Diaz. No one on the flight seemed to notice, as they had their faces covered (Cameron wore a beanie, and Justin had his head in a newspaper).

Anyway, I had just been to his concert in the Point the night before, and I happened to have the concert ticket in my bag. I gave it to the air hostess, and quietly asked her if she’d give it to him to sign. She came back and said “he said no, sorry”.

I remember being heartbroken at the time as I was very young and I idolised him. I had also just paid circa €100 to attend his concert. It changed my whole opinion of him.

You think celebs should be always on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Heat_Wave

Vestiapx wrote: »
    You think celebs should be always on?

No I don’t, not at all, but I don’t think a young girl discreetly asking for a two second signature on the back of a ticket which she bought to attend your gig the night before is a lot to ask, in fairness.

It would be very different if people on the plane were crowding around him, but as I said, I appeared to be the only person who noticed his presence.

Context.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,305 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Yeah, but you were 1 of how many? You don't know how many others copped it was him and asked the same. You also don't know if they were just off a press release having spent a hour or so signing autographs and pretending to be happy taking photos. There could be any number of reasons. And like someone mentioned above, saying yes to 1 could open the floodgates.

Don't want to derail the thread, but lets just pretend it was Britney herself, and she said no. You'd change your opinion about her and begin to think she's x, y and z, and here 15 years later this documentary comes out. Would you still think the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Watched the doc and in fairness I can't believe adults (I was young back then) actually thought this nonsense was OK.

Hard to know what the true story is behind the family controlling her estate.

She had a mental breakdown of epic proportions and I do remember the parent taking control was more to do with getting to see her kids than anything else. At least that was the way it was presented.

I would have expected that if oversight is still needed the family have not shown themselves to be the best carers - literally they put her on stage again to make more cash.

Interesting watch, wonder if it will impact the next case. Court of public opinion has serious power now.

Yeah, but you were 1 of how many? You don't know how many others copped it was him and asked the same. You also don't know if they were just off a press release having spent a hour or so signing autographs and pretending to be happy taking photos. There could be any number of reasons. And like someone mentioned above, saying yes to 1 could open the floodgates.

Don't want to derail the thread, but lets just pretend it was Britney herself, and she said no. You'd change your opinion about her and begin to think she's x, y and z, and here 15 years later this documentary comes out. Would you still think the same?

I appreciate what you’re saying but I’ll respectfully disagree.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It seems hard to believe but it's much easier than you think. She was very young and grew up in show biz so her perspective at the time would have been warped. I remember watching an interview where she said she was lonely and surrounded herself with some very bad people because she had nowhere to turn to and now she's paying the consequences of that for a long time. It's really sad.
    The two things that leaped out of that documentary for me were; in relation to why the judges keep saying no to releasing her from her father's control. We don't know what we don't know. The dossier on her mental health issues is sealed. Though it seems she's improved as they did split the control of her assets with a bank she and her team nominated.

The other thing that really jumped out around the court case was; she was paying everyone in the room to do with her case. Naturally her team and her lawyers, but she's also paying for her father's lawyers, her mother's and so forth. Hell the first court case that put her under her father's control, she paid for with her earnings. There is a huge financial ecosystem that she alone supports. That's a very vulnerable and dangerous position to be in.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

I would have expected that if oversight is still needed the family have not shown themselves to be the best carers - literally they put her on stage again to make more cash.

I dunno, celebrities get accustomed to expensive lifestyles that cost a lot to maintain, that her net worth is now a mere 60 million speaks volumes. Either management screwed her in the past, her father is getting a large.cut (the doc said he only gets 1.5% which seems fair if he's managing her, about 400k for the year of her vegas residency), or she's pissed it away over the years. Probably a combo of the three.

I think that the vegas residency, while you could say it's exploitation and dance monkey dance stuff while everyone else makes bank, on the other hand, she's a performer, she's probably happiest on stage, it gives her something to work on and fill the days rather than sit around thinking about taking drugs, she can put down roots in vegas and she's not traveling like a world tour which based on other celeb docs like katy perry and lady gaga seems like a lonely place.

The one argument I can't beat on this is, would this have happened to a man? If there was a male celebrity, pissing away his life, would someone else be put in control of his person and finances for the sake.of.his 'best interests'. I can't think of an example but maybe this is a unique case. I do think though that the conservatorship was positive and that without it there's be a good chance Britney would be dead from drugs or at least in a worse state.

We don't know the full story and this doc didn't tell us anything new, there must have been more incidents with the kids which have been kept private that led to her losing custody.

There is a huge financial ecosystem that she alone supports. That's a very vulnerable and dangerous position to be in.

Totally agree with this, so many people dependent ob her for their income

Tails142 wrote: »
    I dunno, celebrities get accustomed to expensive lifestyles that cost a lot to maintain, that her net worth is now a mere 60 million speaks volumes. Either management screwed her in the past, her father is getting a large.cut (the doc said he only gets 1.5% which seems fair if he's managing her, about 400k for the year of her vegas residency), or she's pissed it away over the years. Probably a combo of the three.

I think that the vegas residency, while you could say it's exploitation and dance monkey dance stuff while everyone else makes bank, on the other hand, she's a performer, she's probably happiest on stage, it gives her something to work on and fill the days rather than sit around thinking about taking drugs, she can put down roots in vegas and she's not traveling like a world tour which based on other celeb docs like katy perry and lady gaga seems like a lonely place.

The one argument I can't beat on this is, would this have happened to a man? If there was a male celebrity, pissing away his life, would someone else be put in control of his person and finances for the sake.of.his 'best interests'. I can't think of an example but maybe this is a unique case. I do think though that the conservatorship was positive and that without it there's be a good chance Britney would be dead from drugs or at least in a worse state.

We don't know the full story and this doc didn't tell us anything new, there must have been more incidents with the kids which have been kept private that led to her losing custody.

I would be of the opinion that if that lifestyle had led to her being so mentally broken she could not be legally allowed care for herself.

There is surely no justification on earth for throwing her on stage every night of the week for 2 years while she lives out of a hotel room in the city of sin.

I agree full story not known, but just from a caring person perspective this seems bat sh1t crazy stuff.

All of our comments are conjecture at the end of the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Nope that is not the NY Times documentary, it's on NowTV entertainment pass, can usually sign up with a deal for €7.50 a month

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭qwerty13

Completely agree with this. I think it’s really unfair to approach a famous person when they’re ‘off duty’. And especially so if they’re made it obvious by their clothes and behaviour that they don’t want to be approached. Also, I don’t think it’s accurate to say ‘but it’s just me, it’s just one pic/autograph’. By doing 1, the celebs are making it more acceptable for others to approach them. Trouble is that everyone seems to think ‘oh but it’s just me’, when to the celeb you are the thousandth ‘it’s only just me, 1 person’.

There is of course a balance that celebs have to strike, between minding their mental health and privacy, and selling their product - which often involves marketing themselves. It seems that Britney - and those around her - engaged in far too much of the ‘selling of Britney’, and not enough in making sure that she had adequate time and people around her for whom she was not always ‘on’ and a performing $$

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Where can u watch this online for free?

fin12 wrote: »

Boards.ie rules dictate we cannot answer that question.

It has been on sky so may be available on more platforms soon. Or in sky catchup if you have a package.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,760 ✭✭✭Delta2113

If you have Virgin 360 you can watch it from Friday on Sky One which I just did tonight on replay tv.
    It's a good documentary but nothing spectacular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Delta2113 wrote:
    If you have Virgin 360 you can watch it from Friday on Sky One which I just did tonight on replay tv. It's a good documentary but nothing spectacular.

Easily available on the internets I'd imagine, must get it myself, sounds interesting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,594 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Her family are just money hungry, why did her mother not help her more

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭qwerty13

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Haven’t watched the Britney thing yet, but I imagine it might be like Whitney’s family, where everyone was on the payroll. So they all had a vested interest in her monetary success, and pushed her into things that she wasn’t happy with, or didn’t necessarily have the mental strength to keep doing. The Whitney documentary (I think it was called ‘Why Can’t I Be Me’) was very good, but so sad.

Sadly ironic that some stars surround themselves with family, as though that will keep them safe from people preying on them - and then it turns out to be the worst decision of all, because the family can’t earn similar money elsewhere, so they keep pushing at the star. At least a professional business manager can earn from others, so there’s a small chance they might exercise some restraint in the interests of their professional reputation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

It’s a very poor ‘documentary’ that starts and ends with annoying internet idiots. I would like to see something like the Whitney documentary which was brilliant. It does do a good job of showing the awful treatment Britney Spears has gone through by the media, paparazzi, her father and other scumbags, I’ll give it that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭piplip87

Been that famous is like been in prison. Jesus christ a girl in her early twenties goes out and gets hammered with a friend and she's all over the paper as an unfit mother. Jesus the press over there certainly help lead to the breakdown.

Although I'd imagine the father has become accustomed to milking her for anything he can get it's also worth noting that the judges do have medical reports we dont see.

A fairly tough watch

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭Recliner

I watched it a few days ago. I found the interviews the most unsettling. Matt Lauer, Barbara Walters and another older guy. The questions and comments were outrageous. Like Barbara Walters asking her to basically justify herself to a woman who had more or less threatened to shoot her!!!

Leave it all to the Dutch guy talking about her breasts!!

Surely someone on her team or PR or something realised that this was out of order.

• Advertisement

Recliner wrote: »
    I watched it a few days ago. I found the interviews the most unsettling. Matt Lauer, Barbara Walters and another older guy. The questions and comments were outrageous. Like Barbara Walters asking her to basically justify herself to a woman who had more or less threatened to shoot her!!!

Leave it all to the Dutch guy talking about her breasts!!

Surely someone on her team or PR or something realised that this was out of order.

The breasts comment made me feel very uncomfortable. You could tell by Britney that she herself was shocked. Can you imagine a talk show host saying to a man “let’s talk about your penis”? It would never happen, and if it did, it would be exceptionally weird.

Edit: I’m by no means a feminist btw but that kinda thing really irks me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

Exactly- that's what I couldn't understand. There was no mention of her mother at all. She seemed to have completely disappeared !
    JP Liz V1 wrote: »

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

There was a documentary about Britney about fifteen years ago that has interviews saying her mother tried setting her up with a 21 year old guy when she was 14.

She's probably worse than her dad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

fin12 wrote: »

if you sign up with now tv you get the first week free (cancel anytime)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Interesting documentary, even if it in essence covered a lot of ground we already knew. I couldn't get over the paparazzi guy they spoke to. Tying himself up in knots trying to justify his complicity in how the media harassed and hounded her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

"when she said 'leave me alone' she didn't mean 'leave me alone forever' she just meant 'leave me alone for the rest of today'" [sic]

- random paparazzi guy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

fryup wrote: »
    if you sign up with now tv you get the first week free (cancel anytime)

Thanks I signed up, got the 7.50 a month deal as I’ve been signed up before. Was very good., poor Britney. It’s a good move for her to refuse to perform until her father is removed from the convertorship. There’s other pretty good stuff to watch on now tv aswell aka your honour,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,905 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Verified
    My life has always been very speculated ...

watched ... and judged really my whole life !!! For my sanity I need to dance to @iamstevent every night of my life ������������ to feel wild and human and alive !!! I have been exposed my whole life performing in front of people ������ !!! It takes a lot of strength to TRUST the universe with your real vulnerability cause I've always been so judged... insulted... and embarrassed by the media... and I still am till this day ������������ !!!! As the world keeps on turning and life goes on we still remain so fragile and sensitive as people !!! I didn't watch the documentary but from what I did see of it I was embarrassed by the light they put me in ... I cried for two weeks and well .... I still cry sometimes !!!! I do what I can in my own spirituality with myself to try and keep my own joy ... love ... and happiness ✨���� ☀️ !!!! Every day dancing brings me joy !!! I'm not here to be perfect ... perfect is boring ... I'm here to pass on kindness ������ !!!!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CND5B1RArtK/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

It's a common theory among her fans that she isn't in control of her own social media accounts, and I think I believe it tbh. A lot of the same videos/photos are posted over and over again, and all the captions are written in the style of an excitable 15 year old child. I find it hard to believe a woman who's almost forty would post in such a fashion, particularly when she's got two teenage sons herself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,905 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Britney is having her say in court at the moment, I'd expect a sequel to this soon enough.
    Britney Spears has called for an end to the “abusive” conservatorship that has governed her life for 13 yrears, delivering an emotional speech to a Los Angeles court and saying: “I just want my life back.”

Spears addressed the court during a hearing on the unusual legal arrangement that has stripped the singer of her independence since 2008. The conservatorship has given her father, Jamie Spears, control over her estate, career and other aspects of her personal life.

“I want to end the conservatorship without being evaluated,” Spears said in a lengthy speech, during which she condemned her father and the others who have controlled the arrangement.

“This conservatorship is doing me way more harm than good,” she said. “I deserve to have a life ... I’m great at what I do. All I want is to own my money .. [and] share my story to the world. I want to be able to be heard.”

Spears said she has been forced to work against her will, and that the conservatorship has blocked her from getting married and having a baby. She said she wanted to get her birth control removed so she could try to have another child, but that she was not allowed to go to the doctor. She said her boyfriend is also prohibited from driving her in his car, and that she is blocked from seeing some friends.

She excoriated her father, saying, “He loved the control to hurt his own daughter 100,000 per cent.” At one point, she said, she cried for an hour on the phone and said he “loved” it and enjoyed having control over someone as powerful as her.

“I’ve lied and told the whole world I’m okay and I’m happy,” Spears said, adding that she wanted to sue her family. She compared her situation to “sex trafficking”, noting that she was forced to work while having no control over her finances and no independence: “The people who did that to me should not be able to walk away so easily.”

Paparazzi
    Spears, who appeared by phone and spoke rapidly, said her management had threatened to sue her if she didn’t perform in 2018: “It was very threatening and scary ... I’m not here to be anyone’s slave.”.........

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/music/i-want-my-life-back-britney-spears-asks-court-to-end-abusive-conservatorship-1.4601844

Advertisement