Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Staycation Ireland.. Anyone doing it

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jmlad2020

To answer the OP. No I’m not.

C'mon lad stretch your legs a bit, it's a beautiful Island full of beautiful coastline.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    I agree!

When you live in Ireland you always need an Exit door...

I would say travel will be a lot more hassle this year than last Summer/Autumn, just have to see how the next 3 months goes...may be restricted to EU only travel... who knows...!

EU only would do rightly. Behaved myself all through the last year WFH, no household visits, house parties, stayed inside 5/2km etc while watching plenty around me behave like the selfish assholes they are(as I type I am listening to the neighbours doing a bloody good impersonation of a pub smoking area with their similarly minded friends though the living room wall yet again). The first available opportunity I'm off this rain sodden dump for a couple of weeks in more civilised climes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

EU only would do rightly. Behaved myself all through the last year WFH, no household visits, house parties, stayed inside 5/2km etc while watching plenty around me behave like the selfish assholes they are(as I type I am listening to the neighbours doing a bloody good impersonation of a pub smoking area with their similarly minded friends though the living room wall yet again). The first available opportunity I'm off this rain sodden dump for a couple of weeks in more civilised climes.

We all feel like that. Its best not to give any mental strength to it.
    However our family would prefer to abide by the restrictions that 99% of people are following.
    Returning to work for so many people depends in getting the virus numbers down.
    Is travel a huge contributing factor to that Maybe not, but all you need are a few cases of a variant brought back.

And when Ireland hopefully opens up this year we will again do our bit to spend some money in Kerry, Cork, Sligo or wherever we decide to go

I won't go abroad this summer but a staycation could be out of my budget as well, I think failte Ireland and the govt need to do more to make holidaying in Ireland more appealing or else we're going to have a repeat of last year

While the great hotel cash grab is always alive and well attitudes from Irish holiday makers need to change big time to make it more pleasurable for all too. Far too common to see someone being ignorant and rude to staff because they’re used to going and treating Manuel like dirt out in the sun every year. Sickening to see and would put you off the popular spots, and it’s not up to the government to teach decency and manners.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

"Rain sodden dump". Charming.

Amazing the people complaining in the thread seem to come across as people who go to the same parts of Spain / Portugal every year, spend their time surrounded by Irish people in cattlemart-like hotels, drinking in Irish bars, and then telling everyone how big a kip Ireland is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,625 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Well, yes I suffered through the house parties from people who decided to "holiday" at home, sound systems, kegs of beer, marquee tents, BBQ's the lot.... So I made sure to escape the country a number of times to Travel to the sun where I could have a beer and wander more than 5k from home, was amazing and can't wait to get back out there....Have no intention of paying more for petrol to drive somewhere nice in Ireland than I would to fly to Greece, to pay more for a night at an Irish B&B than I would for a 5 star hotel abroad....

Complications in 2021? PCR tests at borders, Quarantine upon return to Ireland and Vaccination passports to travel etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Lavish

May be start journey at the end of june

• Registered Users Posts: 7,339 ✭✭✭bladespin

There was a 101 things last year too. You seem to be pub focus though, which is ok.

Where we were in the caravan, they had the field behind it, big bbq if you want, the brewery was there serving drink and music till late.

Could bring your own food, your own chairs if you wanted, plenty of tables and seats for all and shelter from the weather if needs be.

Puppet and magic show early on also.

These kind of events were on all over the country last summer, be less restrictive this summer.

The hotel we went for 5 days, had seats outside, again shelter from the weather if needs be and serving beer. Could stay as long as you want.

Yes it wasnt 2019 but still had a great time.

Definitely not really pub focussed with two kids along, just wanted some form of entertainment, yes, we stayed in a few hotels that had beer garden type set ups but that wasn’t really what we had wanted, there didn’t seem to be any music or the likes anywhere we went (even a puppet show like that or a match on the tv would’ve been brilliant).

There’s also the fact that prices were way over what they were in 2019 probably increased my own disappointment lol. I did put quite a lot more work into last years hol than I normally would have to too but it was a bit of a waste tbh.
    We’ve had some of our best holidays here but last year it just didn’t ‘feel’ that good, just my own experience.

Glad you found somewhere with a bit of craic but honestly there weren’t many places like that available from what I could see.

Anyway, I wish anyone planning a staycation the best and (as always) would recommend Cork as part of it - from a Meath man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

So the whole country is responsible for your miserable existence.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Sam Hain wrote: »
    So the whole country is responsible for your miserable existence.

What dya want me to say? Enjoy your overpriced week in some cold wet ****hole on the west coast that had its heyday in DeValeras time. But at least you can Instagram that €7 Guinness outside the twee thatched roof pub while you wait for your €25 frozen cod and chips. Good times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,967 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

What dya want me to say? Enjoy your overpriced week in some cold wet ****hole on the west coast that had its heyday in DeValeras time. But at least you can Instagram that €7 Guinness outside the twee thatched roof pub while you wait for your €25 frozen cod and chips. Good times.
    Hyperbole much?

In general, you'll find what you look for.

I've had fabulous breaks in the west of Ireland (some of them rain-sodden, but that's what wet gear is for), enjoying pints far cheaper than in Dublin, and lovely local produce in restaurants and cafés that cost a lot less than €25. In addition to gorgeous beaches, national parks, walks, and scenery to rival anywhere in the world.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

In general, you'll find what you look for.

A guaranteed tan? Can you arrange that?

Sorry, couldn’t resist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭6541

Totally with you on this. This is why you need a caravan ! Swap 7 Euro Guinness for 1 Euro Can !

bladespin wrote: »
    A guaranteed tan? Can you arrange that?

Sorry, couldn’t resist.

Yep, few euro in any supermarket or pharmacy. Guaranteed tan and no skin cancer
    :)

bubblypop wrote: »
    Yep, few euro in any supermarket or pharmacy. Guaranteed tan and no skin cancer
    :)

No thanks, I’ll leave the creosote where it is.

Wasn't our experience last summer. Quite the opposite in fact.
    Fed 2 adults and child with 2 pints of beautiful Guinness down in Achill last August, outdoor seating. €35.
    Up in Donegal we got take 2 away pizzas and 3 cans of craft beer for €30.
    On fine days we got steak steak or chicken had the bbq going in the rented houses.
    We had grub in Wexford town in August in a lovely Thai restaurant, two adult mains (we s shared with the child) and two beers was €35.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

well aside some amazing irish landscapes, castles and few dozen places, it does sum this island properly, if one can stand just barely above 20c and 50/50 chance it wont be pissing at some stage in the day, this once post sums up ireland staycation properly, not much different as having few cans in your back garden and putting on bbq or some steak for a day yourself and calling it a holiday.

as reality is most want that 30c and be by the pool, not having a bother about how much breakfast or dinner will cost your weeks wages looking at menu, and escape from usual grim grey fck all day to day view.

as by the looks, it will be same as last year, if spain and canaries are rampant and theres no massive dip with pandemic, most with few brain cells will pass on any holidays, given economy could be going to the crap in the long run, cant imagine people splashing cash on sub par holidays here, as yes some families do, but its small numbers to those that go on proper holidays.

scamalert wrote: »
    well aside some amazing irish landscapes, castles and few dozen places, it does sum this island properly, if one can stand just barely above 20c and 50/50 chance it wont be pissing at some stage in the day, this once post sums up ireland staycation properly, not much different as having few cans in your back garden and putting on bbq or some steak for a day yourself and calling it a holiday.

as reality is most want that 30c and be by the pool, not having a bother about how much breakfast or dinner will cost your weeks wages looking at menu, and escape from usual grim grey fck all day to day view.

as by the looks, it will be same as last year, if spain and canaries are rampant and theres no massive dip with pandemic, most with few brain cells will pass on any holidays, given economy could be going to the crap in the long run, cant imagine people splashing cash on sub par holidays here, as yes some families do, but its small numbers to those that go on proper holidays.

What's a 'proper' holiday?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Minier81 wrote: »
    I wonder if the extend the stay and spend tax break.

Not for the summer they wont.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Just wondering what are users replies coming back from Hotels

Arranging a few weekend breaks away and emailing hotels

I understand they are in the same boat as all of us. Some are saying come back to us others are saying hopefully opening May, one are taking bookings & some are fully booked for the summer

• Advertisement

We decided to do a house swap with some friends out west.
    We fancy a couple of weeks out west, they fancy a couple of weeks in Dublin.
    Cheap as chips. No extortionate rip off accommodation prices. Just have to tidy the house :)
    Im surprised we never thought of this in previous years to be honest. (The ones when we couldnt go abroad)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

You definitely got the better end of that deal..

Just had a look on home exchange, 427 irish houses available, not sure how many want to swap for something within Ireland, haven't used it myself but heard good reports from people who have they were all swapping for something out foreign though bc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

What's a 'proper' holiday?

I'm also wondering what is so improper with somebody choosing to holiday in the same country they live in.

You definitely got the better end of that deal..

Just had a look on home exchange, 427 irish houses available, not sure how many want to swap for something within Ireland, haven't used it myself but heard good reports from people who have they were all swapping for something out foreign though bc.

I didnt use any site. Just asked a few friends if anyone wanted to do it.
    After starting the conversation another coupe fo friends are doing it too.
    We might end up doing a few rolling swaps at this rate :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Wasn't our experience last summer. Quite the opposite in fact.
    Fed 2 adults and child with 2 pints of beautiful Guinness down in Achill last August, outdoor seating. €35.
    Up in Donegal we got take 2 away pizzas and 3 cans of craft beer for €30.
    On fine days we got steak steak or chicken had the bbq going in the rented houses.
    We had grub in Wexford town in August in a lovely Thai restaurant, two adult mains (we s shared with the child) and two beers was €35.

Was it "The Vineyard" in Wexford?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Holidays are really what you make of it and how you approach it.

We always went to South of France for 2 weeks, great weather etc. But we had a great time in Ireland also.

For me its about the quality time with the family, the memories and the laughs.

Was it "The Vineyard" in Wexford?

Mi Asian i think

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 299 ✭✭DessieJames

Cape Clear wrote: »
    I'm also wondering what is so improper with somebody choosing to holiday in the same country they live in.

Nothing at all if thats what your into, but i detest these people who judge people who decide to go abroad, taking the moral high ground,all holier than thou and unfortunately this virus has showed there are many of them,the bitterness and resentment from some is quite alarming actually.

There should be no problems if someone decides to go abroad on holidays, they need to get a test before they go and coming back and then isolate or another test after 5 days so im failing to see what the huge deal is here, mind you it's Holohan and his minions who clearly have had it in for travel since the start who are yet again telling people not to go abroad,and come 2022 they'll say the same again he'll drag this out for as long as he posisbly can, it's no ones elses business anyway what someone decides to do with their time.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,072 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Got our accommodation confirmed for last 2 weeks in July. Summer all booked up now, with same people going on the same times as last year. Phew.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,625 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Nothing at all if thats what your into, but i detest these people who judge people who decide to go abroad, taking the moral high ground,all holier than thou and unfortunately this virus has showed there are many of them,the bitterness and resentment from some is quite alarming actually.There should be no problems if someone decides to go abroad on holidays, they need to get a test before they go and coming back and then isolate or another test after 5 days so im failing to see what the huge deal is here, mind you it's Holohan and his minions who clearly have had it in for travel since the start who are yet again telling people not to go abroad,and come 2022 they'll say the same again he'll drag this out for as long as he posisbly can, it's no ones elses business anyway what someone decides to do with their time.

You're spot on there...

Holoham has been strongly against Travel and has been since the start, so no surprises.

Will people Staycation2021?

It's not going to be easy and people are better to hold off on plans for now as none of us know what the summer is going to look like... Will Ireland be in Level 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.... 0?? Who knows... I know the deals may be good for booking accommodation early but if you can't travel outside your county, can only have a beer in your room before 10pm, can only sit outside a pub with 14 others or only limited numbers allowed inside a restaurant/leisure center/tourist attraction = long queue/only booking only. Other question is for parents of school age kids is if the school year/exams etc. will be extended to make up for lost time? Will vaccination status also effect where you can book into or go?
    Unless you're a Civil/Public servant then is your employment guaranteed, can you afford to shell out money now for a vacation 5 months down the line?

Too many variables for now to make a firm decision IMO.

Advertisement