Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lord Mayor of Dublin harassed at her home by protesters

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

sabat wrote: »
    When Tubridy asks her directly about her experiences she recounts the ashtray incident, which I don't doubt for a second, but the knife incident is conspicuous by its absence-surely it would be the first one she'd relay. The female wokeratti are also notorious exaggerators and yarn spinners, so I'm going to call bollocks on her

Ever been attacked with a knife? Is the first story out of your mouth when you are talking about your lifes experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,024 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

ShagNastii wrote: »
    That a bit of a petty little argument. "Level of Loyalty to Ireland"? *Cringe* You OK if she dyes her hair red and starts playing the harp.

I'd imagine it's an ethnicity thing. A bit like the Americans classing themselves Irish-Americans, Italian-American or even Polish-American.

I understand why someone would do this.

Ah you know yourself. Some people really dislike that Dublin has a female Mayor who doesnt have an Irish bloodline running back about 20 generations so they have to nitpick over every single thing she says constantly to find fault.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 14,621 ✭✭✭✭elperello

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Who cares how she describes her daughters nationality.

Go after her all you want for her political choices and statements.

Nit picking over how she describes her daughters nationality is extremely petty.

Seeing as you posted your reply to my post I hope you won't mind if I point out that I was replying to a post which implied that immigrants should be grateful.

Of course Hazel Chu Lord Mayor of Dublin is not an immigrant.

I think it is normal and quite understandable that parents would want their children to understand their heritage.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

elperello wrote: »
    Seeing as you posted your reply to my post I hope you won't mind if I point out that I was replying to a post which implied that immigrants should be grateful.

Of course Hazel Chu Lord Mayor of Dublin is not an immigrant.

I think it is normal and quite understandable that parents would want their children to understand their heritage.

I simply quoted the wrong post. My bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,415 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Just worth noting that the Lord Mayor of Dublin Hazel Chu was born in Dublin and is an Irish citizen.

She is, but her parents did show up in this country looking to be taken in and all she is able to do is go around whinging about how the white Irish are big bad racists.

If circumstances were different she would be living under Xi Jinping, now that would be something to complain about.

• Advertisement

She is, but her parents did show up in this country looking to be taken in and all she is able to do is go around whinging about how the white Irish are big bad racists.

If circumstances were different she would be living under Xi Jinping, now that would be something to complain about.

You will I'm sure realise that Hazel Chu had no say in her parent's decision to move to Ireland.

Her education, employment and political involvement record to date is evidence of a more nuanced outlook than you suggest

Of course anyone living under the gangster regime of the CCP would have cause for complaint.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Ah you know yourself. Some people really dislike that Dublin has a female Mayor who doesnt have an Irish bloodline running back about 20 generations so they have to nitpick over every single thing she says constantly to fund fault.
    A quick Duckduckgo on her name under the news section and she has one subject close to her heart; racism and the rise of the Irish far right(and clubbing of all things). Same on Google. She's banging the race and identity politics drum to beat the band. For someone seeking to move away from the same old same old nonsense that adds to cynicism and division it's about all she bloody talks about. That's her shtick and colour me a cynic again, but it seems it's an awfully handy way to keep her face in the papers and in the public mind. A politician? Well I never...

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Has anyone in recent history made the move from mayor of dublin to "senior" politics?

Has anyone in recent history made the move from mayor of dublin to "senior" politics?

Bertie Ahern - all the way to the top :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Bertie Ahern - all the way to the top :)

Haha wow weee

• Advertisement

Haha wow weee

Please note - this poster is not endorsing any politician :)

If we are talking Greens, of course John Gormley was Lord Mayor of Dublin in 1995 and went on to be a Minister.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Ever been attacked with a knife? Is the first story out of your mouth when you are talking about your lifes experience?

Yes- a Stanley knife. No. She had no issue with talking about it to The Journal. Think about what she claims happened- a "group of lads" followed her parents home from Clondalkin to Celbridge and held her hostage threatening to slit her throat. That's not some minor crime- the culprits could face a life sentence if they were caught. I know she received some racial aggravation growing up but that anecdote just jumped out at me as false.

Mod: 1 week forum ban applied for breaching your threadban

Wibbs wrote: »
    A quick Duckduckgo on her name under the news section and she has one subject close to her heart; racism and the rise of the Irish far right(and clubbing of all things). Same on Google. She's banging the race and identity politics drum to beat the band. For someone seeking to move away from the same old same old nonsense that adds to cynicism and division it's about all she bloody talks about. That's her shtick and colour me a cynic again, but it seems it's an awfully handy way to keep her face in the papers and in the public mind. A politician? Well I never...

Im sure if you were racially abused on a regular basis you would talk about it a lot too. But yeah as I said this is all extreme nitpicking.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

sabat wrote: »
    Yes- a Stanley knife. No. She had no issue with talking about it to The Journal. Think about what she claims happened- a "group of lads" followed her parents home from Clondalkin to Celbridge and held her hostage threatening to slit her throat. That's not some minor crime- the culprits could face a life sentence if they were caught. I know she received some racial aggravation growing up but that anecdote just jumped out at me as false.

But you have no proof she lied only your opinion.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I've been racially abused but as I am white there is no come back...

I find it funny also that Chu is white but screaming race card constantly.

I have been attacked outside of work but also in work.

I have had s syringe pulled on me and threats of same, I've had kids pull a knife and threaten me in Bray.

I've been racially abused but as I am white there is no come back...

I find it funny also that Chu is white but screaming race card constantly.

I find it funny that her detractors are so obsessed with these "screams"

Terry Pratchet

I find it funny that her detractors are so obsessed with these "screams"

It's a figure of speech....

She has been on numerous programs talking about it and used social media also .....

I have been attacked outside of work but also in work.

I have had s syringe pulled on me and threats of same, I've had kids pull a knife and threaten me in Bray.

Is there a point to this?

Terry Pratchet

It's a figure of speech....

She has been on numerous programs talking about it and used social media also .....

Yes - because she has been racially abused. Justin and Rebecca Barrett often racially abuse her for example.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Is there a point to this?

Yes. I'm sure you can work it out.....

But I'll be nice and explain.

The point is sh1t can happen to anyone and everyone and it in most cases has absolutely nothing to do with colour as she is making it out to be.

At 11 I was beat around by 3 20 something year olds with 2 by 4s, bike stolen and smacked about, bullied you name it.....

Yes - because she has been racially abused. Justin and Rebecca Barrett often racially abuse her for example.

Who

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

Her daughter is ethnically half chinese so at most she's an Irish born Irish Chinese girl...funny wording alright.

Her kid is Irish. Has hazel ever been to China ?
    It's like the back lads on tic tok with the Dublin accents, Irish. Or (showing my age here ) Jayo or Samantha Mumba or the lad Michéal o' murihuriyhig commented on
    IRISH.
    Hazel is mad about the race issues and she just needs to cop on. If some scobie attacks me on the street its cos I'm fat and from Dundrum and look like I'm an easy mark and the same applies to her. (As in she is an easy mark I know she is not from Dundrum)
    Seán Óg Ó hAilpín: his father’s from Fermanagh, his mother’s from Fiji. Neither a hurling stronghold.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

Im sure if you were racially abused on a regular basis you would talk about it a lot too. But yeah as I said this is all extreme nitpicking.

You're racially abusing him now.

With you're assumption he's a white male, therefore his opinion means nothing.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Your definition of "nitpicking" appears to differ from mine, never mind going a tad OTT with the addition of extreme to your mix, but shall we look at the oul dictionary definition of it for an objective point of view? Nitpicking: Giving too much attention to details that are not important, especially as a way of criticizing. Forget her for the moment, but I hate to break it to you; if someone, anyone has a one track conversational point it is not nitpicking to bloody well point that out. Now it might suit to think it is, but that just lays bare one's own already held opinion going in. It is far from taking an objective position on things.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

You're racially abusing him now.
    Speaking of going to extremes. :D
    With you're assumption he's a white male, therefore his opinion means nothing.
    *looks down... Yep male, apparently these days I have to qualify that with "CIS"* and yes in Count Dracula's book of the month club(he's oddly into gardening) I would be still be the palest chap in the room. So buggered on both counts. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,244 ✭✭✭TheDavester

said it a few pages back, but she's milking the attention to gain an unelected seat in the seanad....(she aint going to be voted in and she'll trot out the race card to get it/keep her self in the public eye)

Barrett is a 24 carat gobsh1te, and that's overvaluing him, as is his wife. Well second - I don't believe in divorce - wife. Yes she sent a tweet that was beyond risible. Clearly she'd been at the shandies of an evening. At least I hope she was. Muppet's going to muppet. I'm not so sure about often, unless you think a one off moronic tweet from a moron* counts? Can you provide examples of the Barretts being specifically moronic on the regular towards her?

* I originally typed "retarded" and "retard", but caught myself on to the second and third hand sensitivity around newly minted offence, which actually makes little enough sense. Moron is also a word once used medically for mentally challenged folks. But the interwebs have spoken.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

Barrett is a 24 carat gobsh1te, and that's overvaluing him, as is his wife. Well second - I don't believe in divorce - wife. Yes she sent a tweet that was beyond risible. Clearly she'd been at the shandies of an evening. At least I hope she was. Muppet's going to muppet. I'm not so sure about often, unless you think a one off moronic tweet from a moron* counts? Can you provide examples of the Barretts being specifically moronic on the regular towards her?

In some peoples mind Barrett and his goons represent the Irish peoples attitude to those of different ethnic backgrounds. He's handy to pull out and say if you don't agree with us you must agree with Barrett :rolleyes:

Ironic enough these new non-binary days when spectrums and nuance are suppose to be paramount. On some topics anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Can you provide examples of the Barretts being specifically moronic on the regular towards her?
    Apparently Justin has said:
    “She is an Irish citizen, I accept that, that is the law until we get the law in our own hands”
    and Rebecca
    “Justin and I are still up too, Hazel. And we’re getting hungry. Since you’re up anyway, we’ll have a sweet and sour chicken, a Szechuan beef and two fried rice please. No bat.”
    Both sources have since been deleted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement