Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Springwell

Muahahaha wrote: »
    My local Aldi has never had 30% off though I have seen it in other Aldis. But not as frequently as Lidl who always seem to have fresh food discounted no matter what time you are in at. If 75% off comes in to Aldi then great as Im usually in the store around 6pm

I shop in various ALDIs (work - I'll stop wherever is closest to my route home) and I've become convinced they just grab a roll of stickers and use those exclusively until they're gone no matter the price :pac: in Naas everything seems to be €2, Mullingar 90c, Blessington €1.50 :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,918 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I got some fresh filled pasta this evening - think it's a limited edition, nduja and burrata - anyone tried it?

I got some of the usual filled pasta recently, think it was chicken and chorizo, and it tasted of absolutely nothing, so I'm hoping this stuff will be a bit more flavoursome (wouldn't be difficult! )

I'll report back whenever I get around to eating it!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,327 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I got some Specially Selected blood oranges this morning. I have eaten two and they are absolutely delicious... nicest oranges I've had in a long time. They are sourced from Italy and come in a 4 pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭emmaneiser

chicken burgers in brioche buns!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,360 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

The stewing beef is really good at the moment. Lovely, chunky, leanish beef with no grisly bits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 minimax90

FYI the sancerre is back to 10 euro again.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,327 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Own brand 'Nature's Meadow' seasoned lamb burger (new - according to the packaging) paired with a Specially Selected brioche bun... very tasty :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,731 ✭✭✭✭zell12

btw Aldi have an online grocery store now
    https://groceries.aldi.ie/en-GB/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

zell12 wrote: »

You still have to go to the store to collect and pay a fiver for the privilege.

Step in the right direction, but hard to compete with Tesco delivery.

If I have to drive up to the store I would probably do the shopping meself tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,731 ✭✭✭✭zell12

wonski wrote: »
    You still have to go to the store to collect and pay a fiver for the privilege.
    If I have to drive up to the store I would probably do the shopping meself tbh.
    Someone to fill a trolley with your wishlist, process it, bag it, bring it to your car, is worth far more than five euro
    If anything it'll cost Aldi money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

The stewing beef is really good at the moment. Lovely, chunky, leanish beef with no grisly bits.

Too chunky at times, had to chop a good bit of it up smaller last week when making beef stew. Was annoying as I already had the onions on when I copped a fair bit of it in the two packets was huge chunks.

Great news though it seems it is not available everywhere as yet. It is something I'll definitely use when my local introduces it. Its a no brainer to save yourself 20-30 minutes in the shop plus it doesnt cost any extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

They also deliver free (from select stores) on Deliveroo when purchasing over €25.
    When you get to €20, then delivery drops for smaller orders.
    For example if total comes to €20.50 then delivery is €4.50, if €23 then delivery is €2 etc.
    https://www.aldi.ie/deliveroo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Someone to fill a trolley with your wishlist, process it, bag it, bring it to your car, is worth far more than five euro
    If anything it'll cost Aldi money

And yet Tesco can do all that and deliver it for 3 euro :D

I see your point though. I'd love if they went properly online. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Suckit wrote: »
    They also deliver free (from select stores) on Deliveroo when purchasing over €25.
    When you get to €20, then delivery drops for smaller orders.
    For example if total comes to €20.50 then delivery is €4.50, if €23 then delivery is €2 etc.
    https://www.aldi.ie/deliveroo

Wonder how this works....do Deliveroo have a fleet of vans ?

Even a modest order could come in at over 10kg once liquids are included

• Registered Users Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Too chunky at times, had to chop a good bit of it up smaller last week when making beef stew. Was annoying as I already had the onions on when I copped a fair bit of it in the two packets was huge chunks.

Use a scissors, takes seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭snoopy84

wonski wrote:

Tesco don't deliver to me. Will definitely use this will save me not only time but money, I can't pick up loads of crap I don't need because I'm hungry or because it's"only"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,647 ✭✭✭54and56

Suckit wrote: »
    They also deliver free (from select stores) on Deliveroo when purchasing over €25. [/url]

Covid boredom led me to an experiment recently.

I had just returned from my local Aldi when it crossed my mind that Deliveroo offer a delivery service so I chose about 6-8 items identical to what I had just bought in the store (milk, butter, cheese, fresh burgers, ham etc) which we use a lot of and knew a double dose of wouldn't do to waste and the "Deliveroo" price of each item was exactly 15% more than the in store price.

There are no "free" dinners with the Deliveroo "free" delivery service. :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,647 ✭✭✭54and56

Just went to sign up there and despite living within 1km of their Sandyford / Beacon store the only store it's offering me the click and collect option for is their Sallynoggin store 6.5km away.

I guess their Sandyford store isn't suitable or isn't part of the initial roll out :(

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

54and56 wrote: »
    Just went to sign up there and despite living within 1km of their Sandyford / Beacon store the only store it's offering me the click and collect option for is their Sallynoggin store 6.5km away.

I guess their Sandyford store isn't suitable or isn't part of the initial roll out :(

Yeah I tested it by putting in 1 Grafton Street and Sallynoggin was the closest store doing click and collect even though there is a store just over the river on Parnell Street. So its not all stores doing it yet anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 28,341 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Sallynoggin is the pilot for click collect.
    But the website is a bit crap - should tell you this and which 15 stores will be offering it

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭KnicksInSix

minimax90 wrote: »
    FYI the sancerre is back to 10 euro again.

Has anyone seen any of the Sancerre in any north Dublin Aldi? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 21,434 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Own brand 'Nature's Meadow' seasoned lamb burger (new - according to the packaging) paired with a Specially Selected brioche bun... very tasty :)
    Bought just that combo yesterday as it happens. Will be having them tonight.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

The two-pack of cinnamon buns are delish (I say having just polished off a whole one for "elevenses" :o)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,812 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Kat1170 wrote: »
    Use a scissors, takes seconds.

I see this a lot but I don't get it. What's the idea?
    Is it that you save washing a chopping board?
    I'd be using a chopping board for the vegies, anyway, so it wouldn't save me anything.

I'm just curious why chopping meat with a pair of scissors is so popular.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Faith wrote: »
    The two-pack of cinnamon buns are delish (I say having just polished off a whole one for "elevenses" :o)

Did you heat them in the microwave? I had to stop buying them for a while because they're so nice, I was adding them to the basket every time.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I did, I popped it in for about 20 seconds. I've put off buying them before because I've been afraid that once I start, I won't be able to stop!

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Squeaksoutloud

Talguetler wrote: »
    Has anyone seen any of the Sancerre in any north Dublin Aldi? :(

Got some in Rivervalley Swords today..seemed plenty of bottles there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,232 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Anyone seen these in Aldi lately
    Compatible Pods with Dolce Gusto machines

• Registered Users Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭Kat1170

I see this a lot but I don't get it. What's the idea?
    Is it that you save washing a chopping board?
    I'd be using a chopping board for the vegies, anyway, so it wouldn't save me anything.

I'm just curious why chopping meat with a pair of scissors is so popular.

I wouldn't use them for preparing the meat for the whole stew but if I take meat out of a packet and find some of the pieces too big I find it handy to use a scissors to cut them straight into the pot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭anewme

After reading this thread, went to Aldi and got 2 Sancerre and 2 boxes of blood oranges.

Great recommendations

Advertisement