Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭eqwjewoiujqorj

Specially Selected Cod Pieces - €3.99

Tried both the breaded and beer battered version.
    Both very nice and worth the money - preferred the breaded version, but beer battered was also v.nice.
    Good size as well.
    Pic is of the beer battered one, uncooked.

YrjRfGN.png

g3hh2oQ.png

WGoXK9G.png

• Registered Users Posts: 9,943 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Chocolate & Hazelnut Cones - €1.07
    Amazing value - €0.27 a piece - as good as branded.

Also come in strawberry - not tried

nXNKyeQ.png

The strawberry is lovely. Nicer than the Lidl version.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Another one here who makes their own bread (usually on a Friday night for the weekend breakfast)

Couldn't be easier.

2 cups of flour (plain flour)
    1 cup of buttermilk
    1 teaspoon of baking soda
    ½ teaspoon of salt.

Sieve it all into a mixer bowl, knead it on a floured surface, get it down into a roundish shape about an inch thick and then cut in half, and cut each half into quarters.

Place on a preheated dry pan, so no oil/butter etc and heat from underneath for about 7 mins each side. Then let cool and wrap with tea towels or tinfoil.

Soda farls. Delicious either on their own made into sandwiches, or butter and jam, or they're great to have as part of a fry - they go great with bacon and eggs etc.

IMG-20210123-224953.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭sillysocks

The strawberry is lovely. Nicer than the Lidl version.

Not sure if they have them at the moment as haven’t been in ALDI for a few weeks but the mini cones in strawberry and chocolate are lovely too. Literally bite size but nice if you just want something small, and great for the kids that they feel like they’re having a treat but it’s not a huge one!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

awec wrote: »
    Yes the Aldi steaks that come in the cardboard boxes are head and shoulders above any other supermarket steak. I prefer them to many butchers steaks too. They are very pricy, but absolutely excellent.
    54and56 wrote: »
    I used to completely agree but I've noticed their quality (Rib Eye and Striploin) have really declined over the last few months and I now go to Tesco for my steaks which are marginally more expensive but IMHO much much higher quality.

I'd agree with 54and56. These fillet steaks used to be great but in the last 18 months they've been terrible. You get 1 steak and another shítty half steak with bits falling off it. This has happen to me loads of times, would never buy them again. Before I'd go out of my way to get them.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,393 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Cienciano wrote: »
    I'd agree with 54and56. These fillet steaks used to be great but in the last 18 months they've been terrible. You get 1 steak and another shítty half steak with bits falling off it. This has happen to me loads of times, would never buy them again. Before I'd go out of my way to get them.

I've never tried the fillet steaks, I always found that an overrated cut.

Always get the rib eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I've never tried the fillet steaks, I always found that an overrated cut.

Always get the rib eyes.

Fillet is the steak that foodies love to hate.
    Fillet can be lovely, though - just not usually worth the premium, imo.

Pick some up on special offer sometime for a change - you might be surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

The Lidl steaks are lovely too (probably mentioned)
    Inishvale or Inisvale. Haven't had them in a while but thought they were great.

One less thing I need to visit Tesco for. Vegetarians will be thankful they can now get tofu in Aldi, I'll let herself judge it on taste.

€1.49.

Cauldron tofu in Tesco is €3 just for comparison. ;)

IMG-20210126-202124.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Got the slim well chips - as they are a diet product with no fat I wasn't expecting much on the taste front but the bag I got has loads of black/bad chips in it - maybe 15-20% - no excuse for that. Disappointing.

Still no fish burgers back in stock :-(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Got this the other day. Bit of sugar and some rum and you would have a really nice mojito.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Cazale wrote: »
    Got this the other day. Bit of sugar and some rum and you would have a really nice mojito.

I got the orange version, it’s very nice.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Cazale wrote: »

I’ve got some homemade raspberry vodka that that would be perfect with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

Faith wrote: »
    I’ve got some homemade raspberry vodka that that would be perfect with.

Off topic, but I made home made quince vodka, was sooooooooooo nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭mjp

No goats cheese in Galway store this week or last. Must be another one of their products in short supply post brexit. Think it's a french brand of goats cheese they stock.

I am a man who likes his spicy food, but I have to share this with anyone who wants to read it.

I was the only one having a dinner tonight, as my kids and my wife had a late McDonald's lunch, so it was only me who would be having dinner tonight, and I really don't like cooking anything substantial when it's just for one.

Dropped into Aldi earlier and picked up a few things needed, and had my eye out for something convenient to throw in the oven or airfryer.

Picked up a chicken spice bag, which was a foil dish, filled with diced chicken, a sachet of vegetables and a separate sachet of seasoning. Thought this'll do me nicely, I'll stick this in the oven, and have a few skin on fries in the air fryer, open a bottle of ice cold beer, and thats what I call a holiday.

Instructions said open veg, and mix with chicken and add seasoning as required.

I said to myself, I'll require all this seasoning, as I like the grub with a kick to it.

Cooked nicely in the oven, dished it out and put a few fries on the plate and got stuck in, first thoughts was chicken was very good, and there was a strong hint of Chinese 5pice of it, and a nice crunch to the veggies.

Then it started. Holy jumpin Jehova, my mouth, was on fire! Sweat on the forehead, snots tripping me, and one of the kids even remarked I had bloodshot eyes :eek:

This stuff was inedible, prob ok with about half the seasoning, but holy sh1t don't to what I did and horse it all in there.

It's the first time in over ten years I reckon that I had to ditch a meal because I couldn't handle how spicy it was, last time being a vindaloo which I'm adamant the chef doubled the amount of chilli he should of put in it by accident.

Seriously, that stuff should come with a fire hazardous warning. My mouths still on fire. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭bassy

McMurphy wrote: »
    I am a man who likes his spicy food, but I have to share this with anyone who wants to read it.

I was the only one having a dinner tonight, as my kids and my wife had a late McDonald's lunch, so it was only me who would be having dinner tonight, and I really don't like cooking anything substantial when it's just for one.

Dropped into Aldi earlier and picked up a few things needed, and had my eye out for something convenient to throw in the oven or airfryer.

Picked up a chicken spice bag, which was a foil dish, filled with diced chicken, a sachet of vegetables and a separate sachet of seasoning. Thought this'll do me nicely, I'll stick this in the oven, and have a few skin on fries in the air fryer, open a bottle of ice cold beer, and thats what I call a holiday.

I said to myself, I'll require all this seasoning, as I like the grub with a kick to it.

Cooked nicely in the oven, dished it out and put a few fries on the plate and got stuck in, first thoughts was chicken was very good, and there was a strong hint of Chinese 5pice of it, and a nice crunch to the veggies.

Then it started. Holy jumpin Jehova, my mouth, was on fire! Sweat on the forehead, snots tripping me, and one of the kids even remarked I had bloodshot eyes :eek:

This stuff was inedible, prob ok with about half the seasoning, but holy sh1t don't to what I did and horse it all in there.

It's the first time in over ten years I reckon that I had to ditch a meal because I couldn't handle how spicy it was, last time being a vindaloo which I'm adamant the chef doubled the amount of chilli he should of put in it by accident.

Seriously, that stuff should come with a fire hazardous warning. My mouths still on fire. :mad:

any picture of the product so i can be on the look out for it?.
    throw the beer in to you :)

bassy wrote: »
    any picture of the product so i can be on the look out for it?.
    throw the beer in to you :)

This is it.

IMG-20210130-190341.jpg

IMG-20210130-190352.jpg

I want to try this now. Is this the one that’s in the same section as the lasagne etc?

cheers Mc

• Advertisement

I want to try this now. Is this the one that’s in the same section as the lasagne etc?

It's with all the other raw chicken products, as I said, prob be grand with *some* of the seasoning, but adding it all in there is scotch bonnet territory.

Think the other two varieties were chorizo and something, and buttermilk and something else. I'll have a look again tomorrow when I'm there for "the big shop".

I don’t think I’ve ever seen that in our Aldi. Will have to hunt properly next time!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

Hands up who's thinking 'Challenge Accepted' ? :)

Hands up who's thinking 'Challenge Accepted' ? :)

I'll go at another one again for a challenge, no problem, but I think it'd be after beers, not with "a" beer. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I feel your pain

Jeez if only I had read this first :pac:

You'd think Aldi would put some kind of warning on the packet, anyone that needs that entire sachet must have an asbestos mouth FFS. :eek:

hows your mouth now youcancallmeal :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

bassy wrote: »
    hows your mouth now youcancallmeal :D

Let's just say my visit to the bathroom the next day was challenging

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I bought Spice Bag seasoning (€2.99) last week in Aldi by Funky Monkey.
    I found it hotttt :D (that post reminded me). They have curry beside it but didn't get that.
    It is above the frozen vegetables etc (the freezers behind the frozen chips) on the shelves.
    I bought it for an older relative as a sort of joke who hasn't tried it yet, and I ended up using some myself. (Funnily they call it 'authentic' spice bag mix - I have yet to try two the same from Donegal to Cork).
    I was unsure how much to use as I make my own seasoning for chips and veg often, but even when I make a big batch, I make about ¼ of the amount in this tub, so I guessed that I was supposed to put a 'healthy' amount on them.
    I sliced a chicken fillet into strips and fried them with some red onion and peppers, and I made some chips (deep fried) and sprinkled it on while on kitchen towel.
    Shook the chips and sprinkled some more.
    Then chicken, onion and peppers onto another towel and sprinkled.
    Then the whole lot into a large bowl and sprinkled and shook..
    Basically, I covered anything I saw that hadn't been sprinkled - and I still was relatively light on the sprinklings :D.
    Like that one, mine was HOTTTT and I gave some to a 7 year old (a s mall amount). :eeek: He had 4 glasses of milk but still loved it.
    I wrote a post here last week the night of trying it, but it didn't post and I was too lazy to type it again.
    I would think a heavier sprinkling would make it spicier. Well worth a look at for those that want to guage their own heat :pac: But I will definitely be trying that other one McMurphy posted, I saw it last week and passed before I saw the other one.
    This is the one I bought:
    https://funkymonkeyfoods.ie/collections/all/products/salt-chilli-spice-bag-mix
    While looking for that link I see they have a recipe on Youtube.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itXAHjjFfLQ
    EDIT
    Just watched it after posting and it's probably a better method than the way I did it. I didn't use breaded chicken either. Loads left to do it again. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Enrico Palazzo

Rather unusual for a food intended for the Irish market to be really hot, normally a wholly different scale is applied compared to the real East Asian foods. Will have to give this one a try out of curiosity.

Advertisement