Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,281 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

McMurphy wrote: »
    I am a man who likes his spicy food, but I have to share this with anyone who wants to read it.

I was the only one having a dinner tonight, as my kids and my wife had a late McDonald's lunch, so it was only me who would be having dinner tonight, and I really don't like cooking anything substantial when it's just for one.

Dropped into Aldi earlier and picked up a few things needed, and had my eye out for something convenient to throw in the oven or airfryer.

Picked up a chicken spice bag, which was a foil dish, filled with diced chicken, a sachet of vegetables and a separate sachet of seasoning. Thought this'll do me nicely, I'll stick this in the oven, and have a few skin on fries in the air fryer, open a bottle of ice cold beer, and thats what I call a holiday.

Instructions said open veg, and mix with chicken and add seasoning as required.

I said to myself, I'll require all this seasoning, as I like the grub with a kick to it.

Cooked nicely in the oven, dished it out and put a few fries on the plate and got stuck in, first thoughts was chicken was very good, and there was a strong hint of Chinese 5pice of it, and a nice crunch to the veggies.

Then it started. Holy jumpin Jehova, my mouth, was on fire! Sweat on the forehead, snots tripping me, and one of the kids even remarked I had bloodshot eyes :eek:

This stuff was inedible, prob ok with about half the seasoning, but holy sh1t don't to what I did and horse it all in there.

It's the first time in over ten years I reckon that I had to ditch a meal because I couldn't handle how spicy it was, last time being a vindaloo which I'm adamant the chef doubled the amount of chilli he should of put in it by accident.

Seriously, that stuff should come with a fire hazardous warning. My mouths still on fire. :mad:

That actually gave me my first genuine laugh of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

A couple of mascaras came into Aldi today. Planning to buy one. If anyone has bought one, please post ur review here.

https://www.aldi.ie/lacura-super-lash-mascara/p/708373449792703

https://www.aldi.ie/lacura-lash-queen-mascara/p/708373449793105

https://www.aldi.ie/lacura-max-volume-mascara/p/708373449792904

Actually they all look pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭bassy

fin12 wrote: »
    A couple of mascaras came into Aldi today. Planning to buy one. If anyone has bought one, please post ur review here.

https://www.aldi.ie/lacura-super-lash-mascara/p/708373449792703

https://www.aldi.ie/lacura-lash-queen-mascara/p/708373449793105

https://www.aldi.ie/lacura-max-volume-mascara/p/708373449792904

Actually they all look pretty good.

can you eat that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

The green /pink packaging ones look tasty :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭The Inbetween is mine

wonski wrote: »
    The green /pink packaging ones look tasty :)

I don't think you're meant to eat them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

bassy wrote: »

Sure you can, after those spicy chicken pieces you can eat anything :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭bassy

wonski wrote: »
    Sure you can, after those spicy chicken pieces you can eat anything :)

lol

bassy wrote: »

I’m sure you can eat anything if u really want to.

Actually I just spotted Gadbury chocolate spreads coming into the store next Sunday, dairy milk, crunches and caramel. They really sound delicious....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I’ve moved the fake away posts to their own dedicated thread.

It’s here https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058155766#

The Gloomster!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Bought new soups in Aldi, Vegetable, carrot and butternut squash, tomato and spicy red pepper under the label "tasty meals and more" - €1.29 for a tub vs the ones they have now which are €1.49

Must say I've not opened one yet, they look good though. Anyone give them a go yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

They have a Boxty that is fab. It's in with the cheeses and semi circle shape. Pk of 2 €1.99

I created a "pizza" style lunch with one of them using a George foreman grill - boxty, cheese, onion, peppers, chilli sauce, chicken. Divine.

Not sure if it's a temporary Irish product or long term addition.

• Administrators Posts: 53,556 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

It's the opposite to what the thread is asking for, but I bought the circular cheese that's covered in the black wax.

Don't bother. I am pretty sure it's the exact same crap that comes in the black plastic packet. Rubbery and tasteless.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

vicwatson wrote: »
    Bought new soups in Aldi, Vegetable, carrot and butternut squash, tomato and spicy red pepper under the label "tasty meals and more" - €1.29 for a tub vs the ones they have now which are €1.49

Must say I've not opened one yet, they look good though. Anyone give them a go yet?

Try making your own soup. I guarantee if you do it right you will never buy soup again and far cheaper with less additives and salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,471 ✭✭✭Masala

Darc19 wrote: »
    They have a Boxty that is fab. It's in with the cheeses and semi circle shape. Pk of 2 €1.99

I created a "pizza" style lunch with one of them using a George foreman grill - boxty, cheese, onion, peppers, chilli sauce, chicken. Divine.

Not sure if it's a temporary Irish product or long term addition.

Where would the Boxty be displayed??? Salads, Cheeses??? Is it frozen ???

Would be interested in tasting.....

• Administrators Posts: 53,556 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Masala wrote: »

I think it's in the same vicinity as the ready meals, sausage rolls etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,366 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Masala wrote: »

In my local store it's located near the garlic bread and soup.

I saw it last week and we remembered how much we
    hated it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,471 ✭✭✭Masala

In my local store it's located near the garlic bread and soup.

I saw it last week and we remembered how much we
    hated it

AAAHHH. My relatives in Cavan used to make it it themselves from scratch and always brought a few 'dumplings' when they came visiting.

Gowd...we couldn't wait. As soon as they arrived - it was sliced thickly, laid onto the pan, scorched both sides then served crispy with dollops of butter! And sure might as well have a runny egg and some sausages as well with brown bread...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,619 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Got one of the Carlos Bacon & Cheese Loaded Fries (500g/2.49) just to try out. Not great, you would make it better yourself using proper cheese rather than a cheese sauce. Instructions said to cook it for 30 minutes in the oven but it needed 40 as the chips were still a bit hard at 30 mins. It was a long wait for something not that great.

Still think their lightly salted tortilla chips (34c) and Snackrite Hot Salsa dip (59c) is the best snack bargain in there. I put the tortilla chips in the microwave for 90 seconds then crumble a slice of cheddar cheese over them and do another 30 seconds to melt the cheese then a few sliced jalapenos on top along with the hot salsa dip alongside. Lidl sell a squeezy bottle of guacamole so a bit of that goes on too. Makes for a great quick snack.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭tangy

Lidl have a similar Hot Salsa. I prefer it. Hotter? Chunkier? Dunno :) Bargain anyhow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Boxty making is a talent in itself!!
    Here in south Leitrim we're really weird.....pan boxty is eaten with sugar like a pancake. Now I don't know how local that is but it is glorious to me, a real taste of childhood.

Boxty making is a talent in itself!!
    Here in south Leitrim we're really weird.....pan boxty is eaten with sugar like a pancake. Now I don't know how local that is but it is glorious to me, a real taste of childhood.

Guess where the Aldi boxty is made? :)

Dromod, co. Leitrim.

And it's pancake style too.

75% off after 6pm.

Noticed a new 75% reduction on fresh foods with use by date of the day in question.

All items together at the end of one of the fridge units.

Got cook in bag chicken for €1.24 this evening. That's me and the dogs sorted for tonight. (Herself is a veggie)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,466 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Got the lean 5% fat beef burgers with paprika - not impressed, too much paprika tbh, couldn't taste the beef at all.

easter stock is in - the assorted filled egg chocolates are lovely!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Guess where the Aldi boxty is made? :)

Dromod, co. Leitrim.

And it's pancake style too.

I know, I've even been to where it's made :)

But nothing compares to 'fresh, hot off the pan' boxty to sold versions :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,130 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

75% off after 6pm.

Noticed a new 75% reduction on fresh foods with use by date of the day in question.

Got cook in bag chicken for €1.24 this evening. That's me and the dogs sorted for tonight. (Herself is a veggie)

Interesting. Keeping up with lidl's Waste Not idea. I cut down on my visits to ALDI when they went from 50% to 30% off.
    I find those reductions a great way of trying stuff out that I wouldn't pay full price for in case I didn't like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Yyhhuuu wrote: »
    Try making your own soup. I guarantee if you do it right you will never buy soup again and far cheaper with less additives and salt.

Yeh thanks I do

But some don’t eat it in my gaf

Plus, these are very very very convenient

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Springwell

75% off after 6pm.

The "Waste Not" stuff is always out in our store - picked up those bagged chickens for €1.50 (7 of them!! Freezer is full, I breasted and jointed them for future meals). Carrot cake for 20c too, be rude not to!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

75% off after 6pm.

That's what I miss with online shopping, being able to go in and get the discounted stuff yourself :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,619 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Interesting. Keeping up with lidl's Waste Not idea. I cut down on my visits to ALDI when they went from 50% to 30% off.
    I find those reductions a great way of trying stuff out that I wouldn't pay full price for in case I didn't like it.

My local Aldi has never had 30% off though I have seen it in other Aldis. But not as frequently as Lidl who always seem to have fresh food discounted no matter what time you are in at. If 75% off comes in to Aldi then great as Im usually in the store around 6pm

Advertisement