Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I like my gadgets but don't buy that omelette maker, frying pan finished under the grill is the only way to do omelettes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭con747

Thargor wrote: »
    I like my gadgets but don't buy that omelette maker, frying pan finished under the grill is the only way to do omelettes.

Or the plate flip from the frying pan and back in. The taste and caramelization from the frying pan is unbeatable imo.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Is this thread just for food items? If so apologies. But just for anyone interested, the aldi own brand baby wipes are hands down the best we have tried. We tried pretty much every brand, and aldi ones are among the cheapest, most sensitive to skin and super moist, with a hint of a fragrance of aloe vera or something. I use them as makeup wipes too sometimes!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Thargor wrote: »

I can never flip it without it falling apart. It comes out more like scrambled egg with veg.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Notmything wrote: »
    Yep, had some in the specials aisle in one of their Carlow stores, don't recall the price tho

€17

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

Antares35 wrote: »
    Is this thread just for food items? If so apologies. But just for anyone interested, the aldi own brand baby wipes are hands down the best we have tried. We tried pretty much every brand, and aldi ones are among the cheapest, most sensitive to skin and super moist, with a hint of a fragrance of aloe vera or something. I use them as makeup wipes too sometimes!

100% they are brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

fin12 wrote: »
    I can never flip it without it falling apart. It comes out more like scrambled egg with veg.

Slide it onto the plate and fold it over on itself so it's own heat finishes it off is how Gordon Ramsay and the rest do it, I just give it a few minutes on the heat until the bottom starts to brown then whack the frying pan under the grill until it looks done, it grills the cheese a bit and gives you a lovely restaurant/Greasy Spoon taste, no flipping required.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭IrishLad90

That banana stand..
    Can not imagine the demand for it, truly may be the kitchen appliance nobody asked for

IrishLad90 wrote: »
    That banana stand..
    Can not imagine the demand for it, truly may be the kitchen appliance nobody asked for

• Registered Users Posts: 17,970 ✭✭✭✭rob316

There's always money in the banana stand!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

lol had to google what a banana stand is. I can now add it to the long list of crap I dont need :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I was at the till last week and saw loads of snacks in the middle aisle at the front of the store, I saw a multi pack of Kelkin snacks and threw them in my trolley as I was in the queue.
    They were Kelkin Sweet Chilli Lentil Crisp Curls - I thought they were very tasty yum.gif.
    I also thought the middle aisle snacks were on sale..
    The Kelkin 5 pack is €2.99 :eek: Delicious, but pricey.
    Anyway......
    Today I was back in and had already decided I wasn't going to buy them again. The Aldi I was in was pretty light on their shelves. They had loads of empty shelves. At the end of the first aisle I saw some snacks.
    https://www.aldi.co.uk/lentil-curls-thai-sweet-chilli/p/084531236535600
    :Dyum.gif
    First packet when I got home, I had convinced myself that maybe they weren't as nice, but were still nice. I just had another packet a minute or so ago. They are good. :D
    I didn't see any other flavours, but apparently there are sour cream and onion too.
    €1.26 for 6 x 20g bags. (Kelkin is €2.99 for 5 x 20g)
    UK Is £0.72 for 6 x 20g bags (I only noticed when searching for an image of the packet).
    Well worth going out and grabbing a bag of them if you see them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I picked up a pack of "Irish Beef Massaman Curry" from the meat section recently. It's basically just marinated beef that you're supposed to slow cook. I threw it in the Instant Pot instead for 30 minutes. I wouldn't rate the flavour, tbh. Straight out of the pot, there was a sharp taste to it that was really unpleasant, so I threw in some coconut cream and adjusted the seasoning a lot. It eventually got to "alright". Mr Faith preferred it to me - I was going to throw out the leftovers (very unlike me) but he reckons he'll eat it for lunch. I wouldn't recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Got teh slim well chips but haven't opened them - ingredients are just potatoes and salt I think, so no oil etc. Will be interesting to see how they are

Also spotted new 5% fat lean burgers with paprika and black pepper - anyone tried them yet? I like the healthier option burgers even if they are not as nice LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Have Aldi stopped selling the Dolce Gusto compatible pods,none in store for 2 weeks now

• Registered Users Posts: 8,108 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Anyone tried both of these juices & how do they compare? One is almost double the price of the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,825 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

dinneenp wrote: »
    Anyone tried both of these juices & how do they compare? One is almost double the price of the other.

I've tried the one on the right, and it went off (not rancid, but that sharp fizzy taste that means it's not right) for too quickly.... now there's only me drinking it, so I need it to last 5 or 6 days, and maybe that's too big an ask of actual "fresh" juice.... but I don't buy it any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,000 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

dinneenp wrote: »

The Specially Selected freshly squeezed orange juice is much nicer, but short shelf life and best to drink at its freshest.

The other orange juice is grand, it's not from concentrate, has a much longer shelf life but doesn't have that intense flavour of the freshly squeezed juice.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Got teh slim well chips but haven't opened them - ingredients are just potatoes and salt I think, so no oil etc. Will be interesting to see how they are

Also spotted new 5% fat lean burgers with paprika and black pepper - anyone tried them yet? I like the healthier option burgers even if they are not as nice LOL

Got them last week, they were ok but took a good bit longer to cook in the air fryer and IMO were nowhere near as nice as the skin on ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

They've 4 packs of blood oranges at the moment, I ate one short while ago and they are absolutely delicious.

They're a bit strange because it's the skin that is bloody coloured, the flesh is just your standard looking orange but they are delicious regardless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭MB05

Got them last week, they were ok but took a good bit longer to cook in the air fryer and IMO were nowhere near as nice as the skin on ones.

I had them for dinner for the first time today and I wasn't overly impressed either. I put them in a Tefal Actifry and like you said they took at least 7-8 mins longer to cook than other chips. It's nothing to do with the size either as I mostly buy the home style chips which would be thicker than these. These chips are similar in style to steak cut chips. They were okay but at €1.69 for a small bag I won't be buying them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Space Dog

Going against the grain here, but I don't think that Atlantic Wheaten is anything special. Just a bog standard soda bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Space Dog wrote: »
    Going against the grain here, but I don't think that Atlantic Wheaten is anything special. Just a bog standard soda bread.

I totally agree, we tried it, expecting a lot and were disappointed.

My mum makes a gorgeous brown bread that she got the recipe for from a newspaper. It's Macroom brown bread using (not suprisingly) Macroom coarse wholemeal flour and it's delicious. Way nicer if you can make your own at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭lassykk

leahyl wrote: »
    I totally agree, we tried it, expecting a lot and were disappointed.

My mum makes a gorgeous brown bread that she got the recipe for from a newspaper. It's Macroom brown bread using (not suprisingly) Macroom coarse wholemeal flour and it's delicious. Way nicer if you can make your own at all.

Our little lad is dairy and soya free (not by choice!) so I've discovered the joy of making bread. I make one that could not be simpler and it's lovely

200g coarse wholemeal flour
    150g plain white flour
    50g oats
    1 tsp of salt
    1 tsp of bread soda
    300ml of oat milk
    15 ml of apple cider vinegar

Fire all the dry in a bowl and mix - fire in the wet on top and mix again - 30 mins in oven at 200c

Couldn't be easier

I've stopped buying soda bread it's so nice!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I found the Atlantic Wheaten bread really dry. I make two wheaten breads, both Neven Maguire recipes. One has yogurt in it and is a lovely 'everyday bread', and the other is amazing, soft and sweet. Eating them ruins you for anything shop bought.

• Administrators Posts: 53,391 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

We make our own soda too. Our recipe is

250g white flour
    250g wholemeal flour
    100g porridge oats
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp soda
    500ml buttermilk

We used to buy the Aldi one all the time, but after we starting making our own I found it too sweet.

I personally prefer a lighter soda to the more dense, dark brown ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

awec wrote: »
    We make our own soda too. Our recipe is

250g white flour
    250g wholemeal flour
    100g porridge oats
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp soda
    500ml buttermilk

We used to buy the Aldi one all the time, but after we starting making our own I found it too sweet.

I personally prefer a lighter soda to the more dense, dark brown ones.

yes, I hate brown breads with sugar in them - brown bread should be savoury tasting in my opinion - no sugar! Then, when warm out of the oven, slap some salty butter on top mmmm... :D

Having said all that though, Dunnes have a lovely soda bread of their own from their bakery - we used to get it before but now we make our own, as I said. The Dunnes one is a good alternative if you are every stuck for time or in a rush and need brown bread!

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭eqwjewoiujqorj

Stick Toffee Tarts €1.49
    Very Nice
    Also Almond Bakewell Tarts in same range - Nothing special.

per 100g or per cake
    kcal 434 / 200
    Fat 20g / 9.2g
    Saturates 7.7g / 3.5g
    Carbs 58.5g / 26.9g
    Sugar 27.3g / 12.6g
    Protein 1g / 0.5g
    Salt 4.6g / 2.1g

eH1ABAQ.png

Spaghetti - €0.45

Much thinner than normal spaghetti (probably closer to vermicelli) so cooks in about 10-11mins, which why I buy it.

sUFBfX8.jpg

----NOT RECOMMENDED
    Aldi basmati microwave rice - way too clumpy - used to be very nice - try the Lidl one instead which is much more acceptable.

----NOT RECOMMENDED
    Potato dauphinoise, in freezer section.
    Way too heavy, not great flavor.
    Prefer the Lidl frozen gratins

BNLEK0P.jpeg

• Advertisement

Chocolate & Hazelnut Cones - €1.07
    Amazing value - €0.27 a piece - as good as branded.

Also come in strawberry - not tried

nXNKyeQ.png

Advertisement